2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It makes more sense for Bueckers to go as soon as possible than Aliyah because of the injury history. If she can play 30 games next year, go.

While I’m sure both are well compensated in NIL, she lacks the national deals we’ve started to see for Boston. Two years out of the spotlight makes that unattainable.

I’m sure everyone who signed with UConn expected a title, but I think one factor AB may consider is the lockout season. Everyone inside the program thinks the cancelled tournament denied them a “deserved” title.
A little research will show you that Bueckers is the #3 female college athlete and #1 BB player. Her deals are as national or more so than Boston and seem to be plenty attainable.

Reaction Score
It makes more sense for Bueckers to go as soon as possible than Aliyah because of the injury history. If she can play 30 games next year, go.

While I’m sure both are well compensated in NIL, she lacks the national deals we’ve started to see for Boston. Two years out of the spotlight makes that unattainable.

I’m sure everyone who signed with UConn expected a title, but I think one factor AB may consider is the lockout season. Everyone inside the program thinks the cancelled tournament denied them a “deserved” title.
You are absolutely wrong. I'll leave it for the UConn fans to list some of her deals.

EDIT: BobbyJ beat me to the save button.

Reaction Score

Injury issues with NIL mean players should stay longer. Paige is making more injured in college than she likely would her first 3-5 seasons in the WNBA- especially when you factor in cost of living and all that. She has three years of college eligibility left, makes more sense to maximize that money now rather than risk it in the WNBA when you might not even make it long enough health wise in the league to make money.

Reaction Score
Aliyah's still being coy about the "are you coming back" question....

It's behind a pay wall but gamecockcentral.com just posted an article about all the freshies and Kamilla Cordoso and their plans for next year. Only Brea Beal (who says she hates schoolwork :) and Olivia Thompson definitively said they were not returning. The other freshies said they were not going to decide until season is over. Kamilla said she hasn't thought about it much but says she thinks she's coming back.

Reaction Score
It's behind a pay wall but gamecockcentral.com just posted an article about all the freshies and Kamilla Cordoso and their plans for next year. Only Brea Beal (who says she hates schoolwork :) and Olivia Thompson definitively said they were not returning. The other freshies said they were not going to decide until season is over. Kamilla said she hasn't thought about it much but says she thinks she's coming back.
Is Olivia planning to transfer or begin a career? Or did she not say? Would love to see her playing for a small, instate school, like a Furman or CoC, where she could get some PT and work toward a graduate degree.

Reaction Score
I logged out and was able to read it so it appears no pay wall. Quite a bit of GCC’s WBB coverage is free.

I‘m expecting and assuming all The Freshies leave, but if Aliyah wants to come back, I say please do. Means we won’t need to go after a big in the portal and it might lessen the urgency to go after a backcourt scoring option in the portal and instead just go with the guards and wings we already have in the fold and let them grow through the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Olivia planning to transfer or begin a career? Or did she not say? Would love to see her playing for a small, instate school, like a Furman or CoC, where she could get some PT and work toward a graduate degree.
165D2666-5B5A-45AA-A464-677102988296.jpeg

Reaction Score
I logged out and was able to read it so it appears no pay wall. Quite a bit of GCC’s WBB coverage is free.

I‘m expecting and assuming all The Freshies leave, but if Aliyah wants to come back, I say please do. Means we won’t need to go after a big in the portal and it might lessen the urgency to go after a backcourt scoring option in the portal and instead just go with the guards and wings we already have in the fold and let them grow through the season.
Ok good! Sometimes they post these articles on the member and non-member boards but since I saw it on the member side I assumed only paying members coukd read it.

Reaction Score
I feel like Zia has tipped her hand. She had a really emotional goodbye letter on senior day. I don't think she would have put much effort into it if she was coming back. But...maybe circumstances have changed since that moment.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Just save yourself the worry and plan for all of the seniors to leave. I'm with Dawn, I'm expecting them all to leave. If they don't, great! But we'll be okay regardless. I'm excited about the future.. next year will not be like the '18-'19 post-A'ja season. There's way more talent on the roster returning.

Get in that portal! Let's goooooo!

Reaction Score
Just save yourself the worry and plan for all of the seniors to leave. I'm with Dawn, I'm expecting them all to leave. If they don't, great! But we'll be okay regardless. I'm excited about the future.. next year will not be like the '18-'19 post-A'ja season. There's way more talent on the roster returning.

Get in that portal! Let's goooooo!
I’ve been saying this to people!! The drop off won’t be what they’re hoping for. A’ja senior season and the year after was due to a major talent drop off and not being replaced from the 15-16’ & 16-17’ squads. This team has talent returning, young talent coming in, and possible big time portal additions. I don’t see us being undefeated but we’ll definitely be top 5 still and in the national championship conversation IMO.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

That's pretty remarkable. Guessing they'll have their pick of some solid transfers in the off season to fill any potential holes left by graduates/potential transfers.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Interesting stuff here on the SC thread. It's my first visit, and overdue. I'm with Carnac above in looking forward to watching Aliyah play in the WNBA (and not just so she's no longer in Columbia... LOL!).

I'd honestly be surprised if Paige goes pro after next season, given she wants a national title and it's far from a given in '24, but she also has to consider how long her brittle legs would carry her after that. She's one who I suspect would love the Olympic experience, too, and more than once... how much fun would it be to see a USA team with Aliyah, Paige and Caitlin as teammates?

Caitlin? Probably the toughest call for her will be how much she loves Iowa and playing for and in front of her home fans. She'd never have that again if she leaves after next season. On the other hand, her best friend, Kate Martin, and Gabbie Marshall will be making their departure then. Maybe the swing factor could be the level of development Hannah Stuelke makes by next year, and whether Lisa Bluder can bring in or develop another post recipient for all those Clark assists.

Cheers, Gamecock fans. I really look forward to Friday's game. I hope, whether SC wins big, small or Iowa springs the huge upset, no one gets hurt and that the refs don't decide the game. Good luck!

Honestly it's probably in all 3 of their best interest to stay a 5th year.

Clark especially has blown up on social media over the past year and that will only continue to rise as long as she's at Iowa. She's one of the most beloved figures in the state and should have ample opportunity to further shatter records and establish a legacy that wont be matched in Iowa. Also close to home and able to have friends/family easily see her.

Bueckers has (by far) the biggest social media/NIL potential of any of them. I think winning a title is of utmost importance to her, and she's extremely close with Fudd. My guess is she stays 2 more years to play with Azzi before Fudd runs out of eligibility. Paige could theoretically stick around a 6th year, but it'd surprise me if that happens considering she'll be 24 to start the year, and as of right now it looks like UCONN will have a drop off after their 2020/2021 classes exhaust eligibility.

As for Boston, it sounds like a lot of her senior classmates are going pro and Boston has nothing left to prove at this level, but coming back to Columbia for a 5th year, bagging more NIL money and competing for potentially a 3rd straight title sounds a lot more appealing than heading to Indiana this summer.

I hope we see all of them stick around 5 years. They've all greatly helped promote the sport of women's basketball and are terrific representatives for their universities and women's basketball as a whole.

Reaction Score
Honestly it's probably in all 3 of their best interest to stay a 5th year.

Clark especially has blown up on social media over the past year and that will only continue to rise as long as she's at Iowa. She's one of the most beloved figures in the state and should have ample opportunity to further shatter records and establish a legacy that wont be matched in Iowa. Also close to home and able to have friends/family easily see her.

Bueckers has (by far) the biggest social media/NIL potential of any of them. I think winning a title is of utmost importance to her, and she's extremely close with Fudd. My guess is she stays 2 more years to play with Azzi before Fudd runs out of eligibility. Paige could theoretically stick around a 6th year, but it'd surprise me if that happens considering she'll be 24 to start the year, and as of right now it looks like UCONN will have a drop off after their 2020/2021 classes exhaust eligibility.

As for Boston, it sounds like a lot of her senior classmates are going pro and Boston has nothing left to prove at this level, but coming back to Columbia for a 5th year, bagging more NIL money and competing for potentially a 3rd straight title sounds a lot more appealing than heading to Indiana this summer.

I hope we see all of them stick around 5 years. They've all greatly helped promote the sport of women's basketball and are terrific representatives for their universities and women's basketball as a whole.
I have a feeling that she does not want to play in Indiana

Reaction Score
Inquiring minds. Back in June of 2022. Coach Staley sent out the "birdie in the nest tweet" indicating that they a had a commitment form a 2023 player. That player is not among the 4 who signed with Carolina this year for 2023.

Does anybody have any idea who the player was that backed out her commitment ?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Inquiring minds. Back in June of 2022. Coach Staley sent out the "birdie in the nest tweet" indicating that they a had a commitment form a 2023 player. That player is not among the 4 who signed with Carolina this year for 2023.

Does anybody have any idea who the player was that backed out her commitment ?
my personal hope is that it was a ‘silent’ commitment from Joyce Edwards for 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom