2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She definitely should! No one else on their roster has a shot that automatic!
Their current GM is their former College Coach for while he was at South Carolina. He left USC to marry Joni Taylor. Good choice!!! lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One more thing.. I love Debbie Antonelli as an analyst for MBB and WBB. ...however last night I thought the team of Mowins and Antonelli broadcasted a very biased perspective of the game slanted towards MD. Am I off?

Reaction Score
I have always been a fan of Iowa State's Lexi Donarski. She is in the portal. I doubt we are a fit for her as I know she wants a lot of playing time but it would be nice to see her in the Garnet and Black as an experienced Big Guard in the rotation.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hate it when you say things like that! Quit trying to invoke a curse on us please
I'd bet the farm on you guys winning both games this weekend. No karma or curses involve here, just fate. :) I've always liked and respected Dawn. I vividly remember her during her playing days at Virginia. If UConn can't win it, I'd like to see her win it. She's going to do something that is very hard to do........................repeat. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Aliyah's still being coy about the "are you coming back" question....

That's a "CLOWN" question bro. :rolleyes: She has nothing else to prove in WCBB. A 2-time national champion, and will leave with a Bachelor's degree. She's ready for the challenges and financial rewards of playing professionally. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's a "CLOWN" question bro. :rolleyes: She has nothing else to prove in WCBB. A 2-time national champion, and will leave with a Bachelor's degree. She's ready for the challenges and financial rewards of playing professionally. :)

I'll miss knowing exactly what is going to happen game to game, but I agree that there is no reason for her to come back.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We might have been the favorite next year if we'd signed JuJu Watkins. Impressive.

Great decisions and she's going to live at the line if she wants to.
I was shocked when she chose the other USC. :eek: Nationally top-ranked elite recruits just don't choose USC. UCLA (Kiki Rice the year before) maybe, but not USC. USC women's teams have been invisible for the last two decades. They are making a resurgence now. With the addition of Watkins, they will challenge for top billing in the Pac-12 and BIG 10. Watkins will be a starter the first day she walks on campus.

The Big Ten will keep its East and West divisions through the 2023 season, and then USC and UCLA are slated to become official members on Aug. 2, 2024.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I have always been a fan of Iowa State's Lexi Donarski. She is in the portal. I doubt we are a fit for her as I know she wants a lot of playing time but it would be nice to see her in the Garnet and Black as an experienced Big Guard in the rotation.
I picked up on that as well. I've been a Donarski fan for a while too but I think she stays in the Big Ten.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
We might have been the favorite next year if we'd signed JuJu Watkins. Impressive.

Great decisions and she's going to live at the line if she wants to.
I agree. I watched the McDAAG tonight and she just has such a smooth and lethal game. And she's only going to get better.. and that has to be scary for everybody else.

Reaction Score

I agree she has nothing else to prove. She's done it all. Now financially....I'd almost guarantee she makes more here than she will in the WNBA her rookie year salary-wise. Idk about the endorsement part of it post-college, though, so that could surpass it when combined. She also has said what's included in the image below so I guess it is not completely out of the question. I would selfishly love for her to come back, obviously.

Screenshot_20230328_212758_Chrome.jpg

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree she has nothing else to prove. She's done it all. Now financially....I'd almost guarantee she makes more here than she will in the WNBA her rookie year salary-wise. Idk about the endorsement part of it post-college, though, so that could surpass it when combined. She also has said what's included in the image below so I guess it is not completely out of the question. I would selfishly love for her to come back, obviously.

View attachment 86172
I completely understand your perspective on this. For me, however........nothing would please me more than to read an announcement of Aliyah declaring for the draft. The plans I have for UConn winning the NC next year include Boston graduating and moving far, far away from Columbia, South Carolina......perhaps out here to the west coast? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
SC isn’t going completely away. We will have 10 players on our roster if all 7 seniors leave, which I expect them to do. Dawn said today she’ll be recruiting from the portal this spring to try to balance the roster. She needs a seasoned big girl and an experienced guard.

Reaction Score
I could see Boston coming back because of how much value her family puts on education. She also loves school and studying. Those are not typical traits for your average athlete. I feel like getting a graduate degree plays a huge factor in her decision.

Carnac

Reaction Score
SC isn’t going completely away. We will have 10 players on our roster if all 7 seniors leave, which I expect them to do. Dawn said today she’ll be recruiting from the portal this spring to try to balance the roster. She needs a seasoned big girl and an experienced guard.
My money is on Dawn and Joelette Law successfully recruiting the players they want/need to fill out their roster for next season. South Carolina has become a coveted destination for high school recruits as well as college would-be transfers. I'm also betting that there are no Aliyah Bostons in the portal. There is no doubt in my mind that Dawn will field a competitive team next year, but I don't think it will be nearly as dominant as this current team.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I could see Boston coming back because of how much value her family puts on education. She also loves school and studying. Those are not typical traits for your average athlete. I feel like getting a graduate degree plays a huge factor in her decision.
Yeah?!?...and I can see her in the WNBA in 2 months. This IS NOT a comment I needed to see this early in the morning. :oops: There's a whole new world out there that she needs to explore and experience. There's no time like now. Release that scholarship and let someone else enjoy the experiences you've enjoyed for the last 4 years. I want to see Aliyah in a WNBA uniform in 2 months!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah?!?...and I can see her in the WNBA in 2 months. This IS NOT a comment I needed to see this early in the morning. :oops: There's a whole new world out there that she needs to explore and experience. There's no time like now. Release that scholarship and let someone else enjoy the experiences you've enjoyed for the last 4 years. I want to see Aliyah in a WNBA uniform in 2 months!!!
Honestly I kind of feel the same. I'm ready to see the next generation of players at South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I'm sure she chose to avoid the question because she does not want anything to interfere with the task at hand and her focus is one winning a natty at this time. On the other hand she has to know by dodging the question and the whole garnet braids being part of an announcement at the end of the season that most people are getting their hopes up that she returns. Maybe she doesn't know herself yet and how the season plays out will determine her next step. We will know in less than a week! I'm torn, I know she could definitely be a huge help to us next year but it will also put a younger player that has been patiently waiting their turn back on the bench.

Reaction Score
And I don't look forward to the possibility of Page or Clark taking their 5th year, but there is a strong possibility with how much the Boston, Bueckers and Clark (The BBC megastars) earn from NIL

Reaction Score

A mite pre-mature, Carnac... ya think?;) Very likely, but it's not a done deal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And I don't look forward to the possibility of Page or Clark taking their 5th year, but there is a strong possibility with how much the Boston, Bueckers and Clark (The BBC megastars) earn from NIL
Interesting stuff here on the SC thread. It's my first visit, and overdue. I'm with Carnac above in looking forward to watching Aliyah play in the WNBA (and not just so she's no longer in Columbia... LOL!).

I'd honestly be surprised if Paige goes pro after next season, given she wants a national title and it's far from a given in '24, but she also has to consider how long her brittle legs would carry her after that. She's one who I suspect would love the Olympic experience, too, and more than once... how much fun would it be to see a USA team with Aliyah, Paige and Caitlin as teammates?

Caitlin? Probably the toughest call for her will be how much she loves Iowa and playing for and in front of her home fans. She'd never have that again if she leaves after next season. On the other hand, her best friend, Kate Martin, and Gabbie Marshall will be making their departure then. Maybe the swing factor could be the level of development Hannah Stuelke makes by next year, and whether Lisa Bluder can bring in or develop another post recipient for all those Clark assists.

Cheers, Gamecock fans. I really look forward to Friday's game. I hope, whether SC wins big, small or Iowa springs the huge upset, no one gets hurt and that the refs don't decide the game. Good luck!

Reaction Score
Interesting stuff here on the SC thread. It's my first visit, and overdue. I'm with Carnac above in looking forward to watching Aliyah play in the WNBA (and not just so she's no longer in Columbia... LOL!).

I'd honestly be surprised if Paige goes pro after next season, given she wants a national title and it's far from a given in '24, but she also has to consider how long her brittle legs would carry her after that. She's one who I suspect would love the Olympic experience, too, and more than once... how much fun would it be to see a USA team with Aliyah, Paige and Caitlin as teammates?

Caitlin? Probably the toughest call for her will be how much she loves Iowa and playing for and in front of her home fans. She'd never have that again if she leaves after next season. On the other hand, her best friend, Kate Martin, and Gabbie Marshall will be making their departure then. Maybe the swing factor could be the level of development Hannah Stuelke makes by next year, and whether Lisa Bluder can bring in or develop another post recipient for all those Clark assists.

Cheers, Gamecock fans. I really look forward to Friday's game. I hope, whether SC wins big, small or Iowa springs the huge upset, no one gets hurt and that the refs don't decide the game. Good luck!
I really feel like these next few classes will produce the next generation of WNBA superstars that are household names across the nation. I wouldn't be surprised at all if those three make the 2028 or 2032 summer Olympics teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It makes more sense for Bueckers to go as soon as possible than Aliyah because of the injury history. If she can play 30 games next year, go.

While I’m sure both are well compensated in NIL, she lacks the national deals we’ve started to see for Boston. Two years out of the spotlight makes that unattainable.

I’m sure everyone who signed with UConn expected a title, but I think one factor AB may consider is the lockout season. Everyone inside the program thinks the cancelled tournament denied them a “deserved” title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom