2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2023 SC Gamecocks Basketball, Part II (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd be curious what match-ups South Carolina fans would want to avoid going into the tournament. I'm sure y'all are confident against every team in the field, as you well should be, but wondering if there are any teams or types of teams you want to avoid as a fan for the easiest games to watch possible.

As a non-South Carolina fan I don't know that you guys have played many guard heavy, 3 point shooting reliant teams. I think a team like Utah or Iowa or Indiana or even a Gonzaga could be interesting if they go unconscious from behind the arc and start exchanging two for threes. I don't know that its a style of play thats popular enough in the SEC that South Carolina is as naturally prepared for it as they are for physical teams.

I would be fine with missing Stanford in either the first two rounds, thank you.......

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I'd be curious what match-ups South Carolina fans would want to avoid going into the tournament. I'm sure y'all are confident against every team in the field, as you well should be, but wondering if there are any teams or types of teams you want to avoid as a fan for the easiest games to watch possible.

As a non-South Carolina fan I don't know that you guys have played many guard heavy, 3 point shooting reliant teams. I think a team like Utah or Iowa or Indiana or even a Gonzaga could be interesting if they go unconscious from behind the arc and start exchanging two for threes. I don't know that its a style of play thats popular enough in the SEC that South Carolina is as naturally prepared for it as they are for physical teams.
I would want to avoid a matchup with Stanford if I'm being honest. It's typically the teams that can match us pound for pound, position by position that give us the most trouble. Teams that rebound with us, defend, with competent balanced offenses, i.e. Stanford and UConn. Stanford is usually one of our toughest games every year because they match us very well at every position, even the depth.

We usually don't have trouble with 3-point shooting teams and it's been very rare as of late that we get beat by a 3-point shooting team. The way we defend, we'll either shut down your star guard and force everybody us to beat us or vice versa, depending on the matchup. Our man to man is especially equipped to run people off the three point line and into our shot blockers. Very few teams that focus on the three offensively can match up with SC inside, which is where games are won.. on the glass.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How is Iowa #2 by the way?

What sense does that make? They lost to Maryland by 30 two weeks ago.

After that, they beat Indiana (considered a 1) and beat Maryland during the semis of the BIG10 conference tourney. They're playing well and deserve it based on what I've seen all season.

Reaction Score
After that, they beat Indiana (considered a 1) and beat Maryland during the semis of the BIG10 conference tourney. They're playing well and deserve it based on what I've seen all season.
Disagree. They might deserve a 1 seed, they do not deserve a number 2 ranking for a one week hot streak. They still lost 6 games including K-State, a down NC State and UConn who they would need to jump over

Reaction Score
Disagree. They might deserve a 1 seed, they do not deserve a number 2 ranking for a one week hot streak. They still lost 6 games including K-State, a down NC State and UConn who they would need to jump over
I get where you're coming from but if LSU is being considered when their record doesn't include any significant wins, I don't have a problem with it. Iowa at least have wins against some of the better ranked teams to contrast their losses from earlier in the season.

Reaction Score
I get where you're coming from but if LSU is being considered when their record doesn't include any significant wins, I don't have a problem with it. Iowa at least have wins against some of the better ranked teams to contrast their losses from earlier in the season.

We may have some confusion here regarding "ranking" and "seeding."

You were responding to someone who asked: "How is Iowa #2 by the way."
You responded: "After that, they beat Indiana (considered a 1) and beat Maryland during the semis of the BIG10 conference tourney. They're playing well and deserve it based on what I've seen all season."

Now, if you were saying that they deserve a two seed (5-8 overall), I agree. Arguably, even a one seed like 4.

But if, as I interpreted your response to the question posed, you are asserting that Iowa deserves to be ranked number two (behind only SCar) as they are in the coaches' poll, I still disagree and it has nothing to do with LSU, who may not make it as a two seed and is nowhere close to being worthy of being ranked number 2 and has not been ranked there by anybody since we beat them and certainly not since Tennessee beat them.

Reaction Score
We may have some confusion here regarding "ranking" and "seeding."

You were responding to someone who asked: "How is Iowa #2 by the way."
You responded: "After that, they beat Indiana (considered a 1) and beat Maryland during the semis of the BIG10 conference tourney. They're playing well and deserve it based on what I've seen all season."

Now, if you were saying that they deserve a two seed (5-8 overall), I agree. Arguably, even a one seed like 4.

But if, as I interpreted your response to the question posed, you are asserting that Iowa deserves to be ranked number two (behind only SCar) as they are in the coaches' poll, I still disagree and it has nothing to do with LSU, who may not make it as a two seed and is nowhere close to being worthy of being ranked number 2 and has not been ranked there by anybody since we beat them and certainly not since Tennessee beat them.
Definitely a misunderstanding. I took the question about being "a" #2, not as being ranked #2. Sure, they beat Indiana who has been ranked #2, but that wouldn't justify that big of a jump.

Reaction Score
Illinois.

Reaction Score
How many Stanford games have you guys watched? I've watched every game of their season and question if they are top 7 team, let alone number 2 and any threat to South Carolina. They have regressed as the season went on imo.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Take your choice , UConn, Indiana, or Stanford.

Stanford just lost 2 of 3 in the final week, needed double OT vs Colorado and has 5 losses.

Indiana just lost 2 of 3 in the final week (including 1 head to head vs Iowa), and just watched Iowa win the Big Ten Tournament

UCONN lost at home to an unranked Quad 2 team the same day Iowa lost by 28 to Maryland. Not sure that's any better. Since that game the only team of note who they've beat is Villanova, where Iowa has beat Indiana, Maryland, and Ohio State.

There isn't a great option at #2 but Iowa is the right pick at this time IMO considering how heavily rankings are influenced by a team's recent performance. After watching the B1G tournament and Iowa's home win over Indiana, it's a hard sell to say that anyone aside from SC is playing better basketball than Iowa right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stanford just lost 2 of 3 in the final week, needed double OT vs Colorado and has 5 losses.

Indiana just lost 2 of 3 in the final week (including 1 head to head vs Iowa), and just watched Iowa win the Big Ten Tournament

UCONN lost at home to an unranked Quad 2 team the same day Iowa lost by 28 to Maryland. Not sure that's any better. Since that game the only team of note who they've beat is Villanova, where Iowa has beat Indiana, Maryland, and Ohio State.

There isn't a great option at #2 but Iowa is the right pick at this time IMO considering how heavily rankings are determined by a how a team is currently playing. After watching the B1G tournament and Iowa's home win over Indiana, it's a hard sell to say that anyone aside from SC is playing better basketball than Iowa right now.

The human polls love Iowa. The computers hate them by comparison. When you blend humans and computers, they are a mod second seed team. Sure they’ve had a great week , but seeding is based on a whole season, not a hot week.

Plus, they have no defense.

Reaction Score
The human polls love Iowa. The computers hate them by comparison. When you blend humans and computers, they are a mod second seed team. Sure they’ve had a great week , but seeding is based on a whole season, not a hot week.

So, you’re recommending SkyNet take over seeding?

Reaction Score
Interesting! I think Stanford has regressed as the season has gone one so I don't really see you guys struggling with them as much in a rematch. They've struggled with outside shooting all season and typically have only 2-3 perimeter threats on the court at once so I don't see you having trouble on that side of the ball. Where things get interesting in this potential match up is defensively where they are always strong but have gotten better in the front court on defense as the season's gone on. I think they might be the only team equipped to guard you guys one on one with no doubleing. It would be interesting to see a Boston/Cardosa vs Brink/Betts match up now that Betts as come a long way since November.

Other than that I think Indiana and would be an interesting match up because they can really light it up from three, contested or not, and have some good midrange players too. Not sure they'd be able to defend your size though which is where the game could get boring.

And then Uconn was the leading 3pt shooting team in the country Nov-January but their shooting has fallen off a cliff since the end of January. With Azzi and Carolina still shaking off the rust not sure they'll be able to return to form quickly enough to challenge SC but they are have the potential to be worst offensive match-up for the Gamecocks in the country if they do.

The wild card match up for me I think would be interesting to watch is Oklahoma. They take a lot of threes and make a lot of threes and teams like that can be dangerous to even the best of teams in March because of the magic that seams to be in the air.
Lets put this the UConn thought to test: Starting 5 Comparison

PG Fletcher/Johnson vs Muhl -advantage Scar
SG Cooke vs Fudd -push
C Boston vs Dhorka -advantage Scar
PF Saxon vs Edwards -advantage Uconn
SF/G Beale vs "Lou"-push

6th Woman : Cardoso vs Caroline - advantage Scar

Reaction Score

SG Cooke vs Fudd -push
SF/G Beale vs "Lou"-push

This list is a little off. Let me fix it for you.

PG - push
SG - advantage UConn
C - advantage SCar
PF - advantage UConn
SF/G - push
6th woman - advantage SCar.

I’d probably add 7th woman: Amihere vs Griffin - push

Of course, I’m assuming Azzi rounds into form by the finals. In that case, the comparison to Zia isn’t even close. If she doesn’t round into form, we may not make it that far. If it’s the Azzi who torched Texas, NC St, Duke and Iowa we get one result, if not we get another.

In other words, it looks like it could be an excellent game. I hope we get to see it.

Reaction Score

SG Cooke vs Fudd -push
SF/G Beale vs "Lou"-push

PG - push
SG - advantage UConn
C - advantage SCar
PF - advantage UConn
SF/G - push

Of course, I’m assuming Azzi rounds into form by the finals. In that case, the comparison to Zia isn’t even close. If she doesn’t round into form, we may not make it that far. If it’s the Azzi who torched Texas, NC St, Duke and Iowa we get one result, if not we get another.

In other words, it looks like it could be an excellent game. I hope we get to see it.

If Fudd is a starter, wouldn't it be more likely that Griffin would be the 6th man coming off the bench instead of Ducharme? My reasoning is that her athleticism would match up better with SC.

Reaction Score

SG Cooke vs Fudd -push
SF/G Beale vs "Lou"-push

Fudd doesn't start, she's the 6th man, not Caroline and Lou is a SG not a small forward who wouldn't match up with Beale.

A more accurate comparison would be:

PG: Fletcher/Johnson vs Muhl - Push
SG: Cook Vs Lou/Fudd - Clear advantage UConn
Sg/G: Beale vs Griffin/Caroline - Push
PF: Saxon vs Edwards - Uconn
C: Boston/Cardosa vs Dorka : Clear advantage South Carolina

Bench: Cardosa, Johnson, Amihere vs Fudd and Ducharme - I would say advantage South Carolina but significantly smaller than the last match up.

Reaction Score

PG - push
SG - advantage UConn
C - advantage SCar
PF - advantage UConn
SF/G - push

Good stuff. Who is saying Uconn and SCar fans can not have Civil discourse?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
More realistically the matchup is probably going to be Cardoso vs. Edwards (I think that's a draw) since Kamila will get most of the minutes alongside Boston. Saxton likely wont get more than 10 minutes, Cardoso will get the bulk of the minutes.

I think the lineup matches are fun but miss a lot of context and there's still so much unknown. For example, Fudd is back but has been a shell of herself so far. Is she going to return to AA form in 2-3 weeks or is she going to be a B version of herself like Bueckers was for most of last year's postseason (aside from the NC State game)? Same with Ducharme.

Also, Zia Cooke is such a wild card for SC. She could outplay her counterpart, or get massively outplayed like she was last matchup. I think the only way UCONN or anyone else competes with SC is if they catch her on a cold shooting night and can bait her into 12-15 shots. It worked well for UCONN their last match up (she shot 2-15), but her offensive production just varies game by game.

And the bench can't be understated. Even if UCONN has players back, it's big advantage for SC primarily due to coaching style and post depth. Geno has never been one to use more than 6-7 players even with a deeper lineup. Patterson/Deberry aren't going to get a significant minutes unless there's significant foul trouble, where SC has Amihere/Saxton who will get minutes. SC can rest their main posts so they stay fresh without a ton of drop off and they just wear you down. We saw that in the last matchup and we've seen it from SC's opponents all year. I think it's still a pretty clear cut edge to SC overall but UCONN (and several other teams) are capable of pulling off an upset if they play well and have a few other factors go their way.

Reaction Score

Iowa’s defense is a far cry from South Carolina, Stanford, or Indiana’s, but I think the malignment of their D is somewhat overblown. It’s not elite but the problem with a team that scores in the high 80s like Iowa is you’re probably not going to hold them much below 70. That can be a problem for some of the higher-ranked teams.
More realistically the matchup is probably going to be Cardoso vs. Edwards (I think that's a draw) since Kamila will get most of the minutes alongside Boston. Saxton likely wont get more than 10 minutes, Cardoso will get the bulk of the minutes.

I think the lineup matches are fun but miss a lot of context and there's still so much unknown. For example, Fudd is back but has been a shell of herself so far. Is she going to return to AA form in 2-3 weeks or is she going to be a B version of herself like Bueckers was for most of last year's postseason (aside from the NC State game)? Same with Ducharme.

Also, Zia Cooke is such a wild card for SC. She could outplay her counterpart, or get massively outplayed like she was last matchup. I think the only way UCONN or anyone else competes with SC is if they catch her on a cold shooting night and can bait her into 12-15 shots. It worked well for UCONN their last match up (she shot 2-15), but her offensive production just varies game by game.

And the bench can't be understated. Even if UCONN has players back, it's big advantage for SC primarily due to coaching style and post depth. Geno has never been one to use more than 6-7 players even with a deeper lineup. Patterson/Deberry aren't going to get a significant minutes unless there's significant foul trouble, where SC has Amihere/Saxton who will get minutes. SC can rest their main posts so they stay fresh without a ton of drop off and they just wear you down. We saw that in the last matchup and we've seen it from SC's opponents all year. I think it's still a pretty clear cut edge to SC overall but UCONN (and several other teams) are capable of pulling off an upset if they play well and have a few other factors go their way.
Astute observation, always enjoy your posts. I think you’re spot on about Cooke. One of my main concerns for SC’s chances at a repeat is Cooke’s shooting inconsistencies. The problem is she never stops at 1-6 or 3-9; she usually keeps on shooting. I get that shooting guards have to be aggressive and that Dawn has told her to keep firing but it’s those 4-17 kind of nights that can do South Carolina in if Boston and Cardoso don’t have monster games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom