2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 25 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
who among our transfer offers (plus castle) fits that description? i'll wait

Jahmir Young- PG
Femi Odukale- CG
Rudi Williams- CG
Courtney Ramey- CG
Stephon Caslte- CG
Hunter McIntosh- SG
Dexter Dennis- W
Terrence Shannon- W
Antonio Reeves- W

after alleyne the next transfer is gonna be another G/W. if we get a 3/4 he's prob not gonna be in the rotation he'd be a developmental piece
If Alleyne comes, I think anybody else we get (if Castle is coming) is likely a developmental piece. Dexter/Shannon would most fit what I'm talking about. They can definitely be 3s.

Karaban is big enough for the 4 and skilled enough for the 3. Between Johnson, Karaban and Springs, 4 is pretty deep. Right now 3 is not deep. You can call it a "wing" if you want, but we need depth at the 3. If Castle comes we deep enough at the 1-2. But sure, a guy who doesn't expect to play would make sense there as well.

Reaction Score
He’s been playing a scorer/shooter position and rarely gets into double figures. He is probably a net plus, but given the absence of shooters this past year, I think It’s a close call. I’m among those who isn’t sold on his being a ball handler in a point guard role. He’s great on the break but gets the ball taken away too often in traffic. I hope with his great coordination and athleticism he can learn way better form and control and become a double figure scorer. A little bit of a pull up game would make him much harder to contain on penetration.
I'm not sure every player shouldn't be a scorer/shooter in some way unless you have some 7 foot rim protector who is only there for D. So I'm not sure I get that first point. He does need to provide more scoring I agree. He just doesn't have the half court skills to do it yet. I think he should find a back to the basket game where he could punish smaller players inside. I just don't know if he will ever develop a shot off the dribble with his form, therefore guys can play off of him when he puts the ball on the floor, making it harder for him to blow by and get to the rim as a dribble driver.

I don't believe we were absent shooters last year. We were absent ball handling for sure. None of our wings or our 4s/5s (Polley/Hawkins/Akok/Whaley/Sanogo/) could dribble drive in half court sets and create for others or themselves. Jackson could do it in transition when he had a full head of steam or if he came off a screen with blown defensive coverage but his handle isn't tight enough to just blow by somebody one on one. Maybe Tyrese but even he was a back down/offensive rebounding kind of scorer. This was our biggest deficiency by far. Without a threat to dribble drive you can play out on the shooters making their shots way more contested. I think DH clearly knows this and has put an emphasis on ball handling in the portal.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we want to play the “who follows who” on IG game. AJax was just followed by Courtney Ramey
Now that would be a big add. If we can add Ramey, Alleyne, and Castle, we are set.

Reaction Score
Now that would be a big add. If we can add Ramey, Alleyne, and Castle, we are set.

We aren’t getting all of those. Just not enough minutes for them all and at some point you need to keep players happy.

Newton, Alleyne, Ramey, Castle, Hawkins and Jackson 1-2 and occasional 3 guard? Just don’t see it. Would be nice.

Reaction Score
If we want to play the “who follows who” on IG game. AJax was just followed by Courtney Ramey
Ramey follows alot of the program
Yes but seems like Ajax is the visit coordinator guy lol (probably the host). Hopefully we see him on campus soon.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm not sure every player shouldn't be a scorer/shooter in some way unless you have some 7 foot rim protector who is only there for D. So I'm not sure I get that first point. He does need to provide more scoring I agree. He just doesn't have the half court skills to do it yet. I think he should find a back to the basket game where he could punish smaller players inside. I just don't know if he will ever develop a shot off the dribble with his form, therefore guys can play off of him when he puts the ball on the floor, making it harder for him to blow by and get to the rim as a dribble driver.

I don't believe we were absent shooters last year. We were absent ball handling for sure. None of our wings or our 4s/5s (Polley/Hawkins/Akok/Whaley/Sanogo/) could dribble drive in half court sets and create for others or themselves. Jackson could do it in transition when he had a full head of steam or if he came off a screen with blown defensive coverage but his handle isn't tight enough to just blow by somebody one on one. Maybe Tyrese but even he was a back down/offensive rebounding kind of scorer. This was our biggest deficiency by far. Without a threat to dribble drive you can play out on the shooters making their shots way more contested. I think DH clearly knows this and has put an emphasis on ball handling in the portal.
The point is that he was essentially either an off guard or a small forward and those typically are positions a jump shooter plays. He didnt really provide that for the team but played a lot of minutes. Aside from that, the other shooters were inconsistent, bad defense Polley, inexperienced and injured Hawkins, injured, basically ineffective Akok, Martin ho I felt was our most consistent shooter along with Cole who was our main ball handler, and Whaley who I think is a decent shooter but didn’t jump shoot that often. we played an awful lot of close games in part because we didn’t have that explosive shooter./scorer.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We aren’t getting all of those. Just not enough minutes for them all and at some point you need to keep players happy.

Newton, Alleyne, Ramey, Castle, Hawkins and Jackson 1-2 and occasional 3 guard? Just don’t see it. Would be nice.
Same. I'm no expert but Ramey and Alleyne seem too similar to both come, and neither will be ok riding the pine. Ramey is still listed as declared for the draft, so his decision will come late if he's playing college ball at all.

Reaction Score
Same. I'm no expert but Ramey and Alleyne seem too similar to both come, and neither will be ok riding the pine. Ramey is still listed as declared for the draft, so his decision will come late if he's playing college ball at all.
only on the boneyard can people spend days despairing the losses of diggins, gaffney, and floyd, and then suddenly have the gall to think, hope, or even dream of landing all four of newton, alleyne, castle, AND ramey as replacements. truly something to behold.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
only on the boneyard can people spend days despairing the losses of diggins, gaffney, and floyd, and then suddenly have the gall to think, hope, or even dream of landing all four of newton, alleyne, castle, AND ramey as replacements. truly something to behold.
And while I am certainly in the “we have to play one guy who is a legit actual forward” camp, there is some bizarre belief that UConn has always has or needs vast numbers of guards on the roster. As @businesslawyer pointed out we played in 04-05 with one PG one SG and one mediocre combo guard (Kellogg). More often than not over the years we had 4 guards total. Never 5 who actually played any real minutes.

Hawk, Newton, Alleyne, Castle + AJax being guard capable. That’s it. Anybody else is developmental bench material.

Reaction Score
And while I am certainly in the “we have to play one guy who is a legit actual forward” camp, there is some bizarre belief that UConn has always has or needs vast numbers of guards on the roster. As @businesslawyer pointed out we played in 04-05 with one PG one SG and one mediocre combo guard (Kellogg). More often than not over the years we had 4 guards total. Never 5 who actually played any real minutes.

Hawk, Newton, Alleyne, Castle + AJax being guard capable. That’s it. Anybody else is developmental bench material.
The game has changed, you don't seem to realize/accept it and yes UConn was deficient with guards in 2005 and 2008, it's why they didn't win it all despite having the talent to. Calhoun didn't know AJ Price was going to have a health crisis which almost killed him or that Dyson would hurt his knee. It wasn't the plan to be a guard short, each year we were going to have two elite guards who could handle and score but freak things happened.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The game has changed, you don't seem to realize/accept it and yes UConn was deficient with guards in 2005 and 2008, it's why they didn't win it all despite having the talent to. Calhoun didn't know AJ Price was going to have a health crisis which almost killed him or that Dyson would hurt his knee. It wasn't the plan to be a guard short, each year we were going to have two elite guards who could handle and score but freak things happened.
A minute ago the Celtics were playing with one guard. And he’s 6’4” 225. I fully understand the game has changed. It now favors bigger guys with guard level skills. Not traditional bigs nor traditional smaller point guards. So I get it. But the teams running out 3+ guards are teams that can’t recruit forwards with the skills they need, like Hurley did at his prior stops. And St. Peter’s did. We should try to get the skilled forwards we need with these big guards

Reaction Score
who among our transfer offers (plus castle) fits that description? i'll wait

Jahmir Young- PG
Femi Odukale- CG
Rudi Williams- CG
Courtney Ramey- CG
Stephon Caslte- CG
Hunter McIntosh- SG
Dexter Dennis- W
Terrence Shannon- W
Antonio Reeves- W

after alleyne the next transfer is gonna be another G/W. if we get a 3/4 he's prob not gonna be in the rotation he'd be a developmental piece

Dexter Dennis was the DPOY for the AAC last year, he’s 6’5. Technically, he doesn’t fit due to height, but I’d take a wing that’s a DPOY any day. Ramey is also known for his defense.

Reaction Score
We should try to get the skilled forwards we need with these big guards
but we arent getting elite forwards like aj griffin and cam whitmore for lack of trying we just arent at that level yet.

the next best thing isnt to go big or go home it's to get at least 4 shooters and 3 ball handlers on the floor whenever we can, even if the guys are all a couple inches shorter than you'd like.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
but we arent getting elite forwards like aj griffin and cam whitmore for lack of trying we just arent at that level yet.

the next best thing isnt to go big or go home it's to get at least 4 shooters and 3 ball handlers on the floor whenever we can, even if the guys are all a couple inches shorter than you'd like.
Exactly. The formula for all 4 Final Four teams. 4 out offense. Need Andre to be a threat this season from all areas.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Karaban is an example. Andrej Stojakovic. Taylor Bowen. Gavin Griffiths. Justin Edwards. The 2023 targets are very much focused on guys like that.

Once we get Alleyne, and assuming Castle is coming, it will be interesting to see who we target as "developmental" guys. Has anybody scouted freshmen with eligibility at G or SF? Guys looking to move up who would be willing to sit? Does anybody have access to a sortable list of guys in the portal?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Absolutely true. In an ideal world we are getting 6-6 guards who can shoot etc. The reality is we need to go for the best players (shooters, speed, defense) we can get. The goal is to recruit, develop and win. I have seen more than enough of very talented guards who can wreck havoc who may only be 6-1 or 6-2. A 6-2 guard with speed will not be contained by a 6-6 guard because he is longer. It is also how you put together the best team rather than just pieces. We don't live in an ideal world and we are college, not NBA. One or two "go to" guys and the rest fit together to provide a strong supporting cast. We seem to be recruiting very well. If that continues along with DH growing we will be alright.

Reaction Score
Just a gut here and not taking anything away from Samson J but Karaban is going to be a very pleasant surprise. Just really knows how to play the game on each end, has a nose of the ball and looks like h can knock down shots. Will be commanding minutes!

Reaction Score
What ever happened to the German pipeline UConn had. Enosch Wolf, Niels, and Tolkdorf all came in like a 3 years span and then it just died?

Reaction Score
What ever happened to the German pipeline UConn had. Enosch Wolf, Niels, and Tolkdorf all came in like a 3 years span and then it just died?

What about the Israeli pipeline as well:

Henefeld
Grossman (Women)
Katz
Sheffer
Mintz

Reaction Score
Only one of them was good though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24