2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are there still plenty of minutes to go around though after the last 2 weeks? If we lock down Rudi and Castle does reclass (as expected) that's 11 guys that have a legit shot at playing time. Even if we get Rudi and Castle decides not to reclass or vice versa that's still 10 guys fighting for time.

Newton
Alleyne
Hawkins
Castle (if reclass)
Rudi J (If we get him)
AJax
Sanogo
Karaban
Samson
Clinigan
Springs

I forgot about Castle, Rudi and Castle would be ideal. If Castle doesn't reclass, I'd like another ball handler.

Reaction Score
He said that last summer. It’s ancient history. He barely played this year.

Hurley has brought up Karaban multiple times in the last month about how skilled he is and bringing shooting/passing to the table next year. It’s been radio silence on Johnson.

I hope Johnson goes crazy next year, but odds are that he will be behind Karaban at the 4.
Actually the truth is, you actually have no idea who is going to be start between the two of them. Lol. I’m high on Karaban too, but not sure why you are so low on Johnson. They are both likely going to be very good players for us

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He said that last summer. It’s ancient history. He barely played this year.

Hurley has brought up Karaban multiple times in the last month about how skilled he is and bringing shooting/passing to the table next year. It’s been radio silence on Johnson.

I hope Johnson goes crazy next year, but odds are that he will be behind Karaban at the 4.
So Hurley talked up the highly rated freshman Johnson last year and he didn't play much. But now, he's talking up (not as much actually) a highly rated freshman Karaban, but this time it's different? Sure. Johnson will have more experience in the system and no super senior eating his minutes. Since Karaban enrolled early, I think he will play more than Johnson did last year. I think to many people have forgotten what Johnson can be. Agile 6'10" guys who block shots, rebound, run the floor, dunk effortlessly and can shoot 3s are pretty damned useful. I think he gets some minutes at the 5 ahead of Clingan.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
So Hurley talked up the highly rated freshman Johnson last year and he didn't play much. But now, he's talking up (not as much actually) a highly rated freshman Karaban, but this time it's different? Sure. Johnson will have more experience in the system and no super senior eating his minutes. Since Karaban enrolled early, I think he will play more than Johnson did last year. I think to many people have forgotten what Johnson can be. Agile 6'10" guys who block shots, rebound, run the floor, dunk effortlessly and can shoot 3s are pretty damned useful. I think he gets some minutes at the 5 ahead of Clingan.
It is different because now both have been practicing and one is getting more hype from Hurley than the other.

Johnson showed that he was super raw this year. Based on how he looked, being ready to play 20 MPG is a big step up to make. Hopefully he has a monster offseason and can do that, but I wouldn’t assume he will.

Reaction Score

Johnson was an athlete with potential and very little skill. Karaban is the exact opposite. Unless his versatility and shooting don't translate, I don't see how you keep the kid off the floor. I'm very high on him.

Reaction Score
Johnson was an athlete with potential and very little skill. Karaban is the exact opposite. Unless his versatility and shooting don't translate, I don't see how you keep the kid off the floor. I'm very high on him.
What do you think about a lineup of Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Karaban and Johnson for a few minutes each half to give Adama and Andre a breather? Appreciate your thoughts.

Reaction Score
What do you think about a lineup of Newton, Alleyne, Hawkins, Karaban and Johnson for a few minutes each half to give Adama and Andre a breather? Appreciate your thoughts.
Wouldn't sit them at the same time if avoidable

Reaction Score
Wouldn't sit them at the same time if avoidable
Isn't that what got us in trouble this past season? Not running out the new kids during the cupcakes?

Reaction Score
Isn't that what got us in trouble this past season? Not running out the new kids during the cupcakes?
Can still bring them in while keeping either Jackson OR Sanogo on the court. Its also a different scenario during cupcake games but I didn't know that's the situation you were referring to. In those cupcake games I completely agree, get the young new guys some real game minutes out there. See what they do when there is 12 minutes left in the 1st half rather than 5 min left in the 2nd half with a 30 point lead. Get them the reps cause come conference play you're going to wish they had time to have gotten those jitters out.

Reaction Score

Every one of those pieces is unproven. 4/5 have played 0 meaningful minutes for us. I really have no idea.

Reaction Score
Can still bring them in while keeping either Jackson OR Sanogo on the court. Its also a different scenario during cupcake games but I didn't know that's the situation you were referring to. In those cupcake games I completely agree, get the young new guys some real game minutes out there. See what they do when there is 12 minutes left in the 1st half rather than 5 min left in the 2nd half with a 30 point lead. Get them the reps cause come conference play you're going to wish they had time to have gotten those jitters out.
I was thinking about the mismatches we could get bringing Johnson out of the paint and posting up a big guard. Definitely open up the paint for cuts and dunks.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about the mismatches we could get bringing Johnson out of the paint and posting up a big guard. Definitely open up the paint for cuts and dunks.
Newton is that big guard, but I'm not sure if he's ever worked on that. But that lineup could be very Villanova-esque.

Reaction Score
Newton is that big guard, but I'm not sure if he's ever worked on that. But that lineup could be very Villanova-esque.
Agreed and I'm only thinking 2-3 minutes at a time, based on situations or resting Adama and Andre.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think "very little skill" is an exaggeration. He can shoot. He can dribble. He can block shots. He needed to get stronger. This video has some practice shots that show him putting it on the floor and attacking the basket. I tend to think Karaban will also get minutes, including at the 3. I don't think Jackson is going to be at the 4 all that often. I also think Johnson will get most the backup 5 minutes, not Clingan. He's just a better fit for how we play. We are all just speculating, it will shake out. I think the main rotation players are already on the roster.

Reaction Score
Last year UConn lost just Bouknight so in reality only his minutes 32 minutes a game were “available”. This season UConn lost Cole, Martin, Whaley, Polley, Akok and Gaffney. That is a lot of available minutes per game to replace. So comparing Hurley’s need for playing time for incoming freshmen from last year to available time for young guys this coming year is just not relevant

Reaction Score
I think "very little skill" is an exaggeration. He can shoot. He can dribble. He can block shots. He needed to get stronger. This video has some practice shots that show him putting it on the floor and attacking the basket. I tend to think Karaban will also get minutes, including at the 3. I don't think Jackson is going to be at the 4 all that often. I also think Johnson will get most the backup 5 minutes, not Clingan. He's just a better fit for how we play. We are all just speculating, it will shake out. I think the main rotation players are already on the roster.

As of the day he stepped on campus he did not have any semblance of a handle. His shot was pretty but very limited. And his shot blocking wasn't as good as Akok's in HS.

Much of that could have changed but there's a reason he wasnt a 5* talent despite his athletic gifts.

I expect more from him than pre injury Akok as a freshman next year though.

Reaction Score
That would be fun. If Johnson can defend both 4s and 5s that would be a huge plus.

Reaction Score
alex already knows more aboot the game than anyone on the team as constituted thus far. and, unbeknownst to some of the first anal-ists here when he signed on, donovan can drain the 3, amongst other obvious skilz that he has.
coaching malpractice if they don't get legit time on the hardwood next season. that's my story, and im sticking to it.
So you think DC will be shooting 3’s next year? I will politely say there is not a f…… chance

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Last year UConn lost just Bouknight so in reality only his minutes 32 minutes a game were “available”. This season UConn lost Cole, Martin, Whaley, Polley, Akok and Gaffney. That is a lot of available minutes per game to replace. So comparing Hurley’s need for playing time for incoming freshmen from last year to available time for young guys this coming year is just not relevant
Um...yes, exactly. So that's why Johnson didn't play much and we can expect him to play a lot more. In a normal situation Whaley and Polley's minutes would have been open last year. We can't read into his lack of minutes that he isn't able to contribute. This board constantly overestimates freshman minutes and underestimates the improvement of players from prior classes. It's like we forget why we were excited about a freshman as soon as they are a sophomore except for instant impact guys like Sanogo and Bouk.

Reaction Score
So you think DC will be shooting 3’s next year? I will politely say there is not a f…… chance
If Clingan hopes to go to the next level in a few years, he’s going to have to be a Hunter Dickenson type who can score inside and outside. We want him to be able to step out and hit a 3. Why? Because that draws the opposing center away from the hoop and opens up driving lanes for the guards.

MJ1

Reaction Score
Last week before May 1st deadline. All players in Fall and Winter sports have until May 1st to enter Transfer Portal to be eligible this season. Once your entered you can take your time to select a school but you must be entered by May 1st. Some will choose to go back to same school others may not find a school at all. The new normal.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It is different because now both have been practicing and one is getting more hype from Hurley than the other.

Johnson showed that he was super raw this year. Based on how he looked, being ready to play 20 MPG is a big step up to make. Hopefully he has a monster offseason and can do that, but I wouldn’t assume he will.
He also needs more work in the weight room unless he is going to be an outside three point shooter which is not likely. He was pushed around last year in the paint when he did play. I hope he really works hard this off season. He is skillful for that size.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It seems like Castle is leaning toward staying in HS. That is probably for the best. Now we can recruit one more 20 minute a game player. Prefer a wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom