2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 27 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
90% of your posts are just critiquing how other ppl post and going at ppl that aren't in your little club. What did i say in that interaction that just went down that was bad...cause you 'disliked' every comment i made. It had nothing to do with the content within the post it was just cause I was the one who posted it. nothing but gatekeepers
Who were you responding to? Or were you arguing with yourself, because I think that is the only one left on the BY that you haven't argued with.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Mac Irvin Fire tweet about 30 minutes ago congratulating Shannon with a hash tag of Michigan.

FWIW

Reaction Score
Why do all these kids expect guaranteed starting jobs? We still only have one PG and plenty of minutes to go around.
Are there still plenty of minutes to go around though after the last 2 weeks? If we lock down Rudi and Castle does reclass (as expected) that's 11 guys that have a legit shot at playing time. Even if we get Rudi and Castle decides not to reclass or vice versa that's still 10 guys fighting for time.

Newton
Alleyne
Hawkins
Castle (if reclass)
Rudi J (If we get him)
AJax
Sanogo
Karaban
Samson
Clinigan
Springs

Reaction Score
Have to assume minutes breakdown would be something like this:

1: Newton (32), Back Up* (8)
2: Alleyne (30), Back Up* (10)
3: Hawkins (30), Jackson (10)
4: Jackson (20), Samson (10), Karaban (10)
5: Sanogo (32), Clingan (8)

There is one more spot for rotation minutes be it for Castle reclass or for Rudi / Ramey / Odukale transfer. I'd be ecstatic at either outcome for that person to get 15-20 minutes provided they were willing to accept that role.

That's a rotation of 9 guys that could tighten to 8 by tourney time depending on what ends up working best during season and / or injuries.

Reaction Score
Are there still plenty of minutes to go around though after the last 2 weeks? If we lock down Rudi and Castle does reclass (as expected) that's 11 guys that have a legit shot at playing time. Even if we get Rudi and Castle decides not to reclass or vice versa that's still 10 guys fighting for time.

Newton
Alleyne
Hawkins
Castle (if reclass)
Rudi J (If we get him)
AJax
Sanogo
Karaban
Samson
Clinigan
Springs

Springs and Samson combined for 92 minutes last year. That and the fact that freshman didn't get much playing time this past year, its hard to say Samson, Springs, Clingan, and Karaban are all guaranteed to be playing big minutes. Don't get me wrong I hope they do, but that combined with not knowing how Newton, Allenye, Rudi/Castle mesh with other guys on the court once thye are here, I'd see playing time way more as an open field going into the preseason. Minutes are up for grabs, there are certainly plenty of suitors, but if you think you're good enough the minutes are there for the taking

Reaction Score
Why do all these kids expect guaranteed starting jobs? We still only have one PG and plenty of minutes to go around.
We really don't have plenty of minutes. We basically have enough room for one more significant (20+ mpg) contributor.

Estimated MPG on the roster:
Sanogo - 32
Newton - 32
Jackson - 32
Hawkins - 30
[New Player] - 25
Alleyne - 20

Clingan/Karaban/Johnson - ~30 total

There's not a wealth of minutes available unless you take them away from someone whose already a significant contributor.

Newton takes the place of Cole as the primary ballhandler.

I'm betting Alleyne and [New Player] are more competent ballhandlers and contributors than Gaffney/Diggins and at least one can be a good backup at primary PG. Alleyne shooting from 3 at almost 40% more than makes up for that.

Jackson is capable as a ballhandler and Hawkins is competent, but not primary. That gives us 5 players who are able to handle the ball.

We really don't need more than one more solid guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have to assume minutes breakdown would be something like this:

1: Newton (32), Back Up* (8)
2: Alleyne (30), Back Up* (10)
3: Hawkins (30), Jackson (10)
4: Jackson (20), Samson (10), Karaban (10)
5: Sanogo (32), Clingan (8)

There is one more spot for rotation minutes be it for Castle reclass or for Rudi / Ramey / Odukale transfer. I'd be ecstatic at either outcome for that person to get 15-20 minutes provided they were willing to accept that role.

That's a rotation of 9 guys that could tighten to 8 by tourney time depending on what ends up working best during season and / or injuries.
Samson Johnson isn't going to play just 10 minutes a game. Sanogo isn't going to be able to play 32. Clingan won't get 8. Johnson will be the backup 5 more than Clingan. It doesn't matter on offense, but if he's starting, Alleyne is stronger than Hawkins and is more likely to guard the 3.

Reaction Score
I hope Newton is good, i really do. But i think the expectation is being set way too high. We've done this soooooooo many times and seems like fall into the same false sense of security every season. There's a guard who transfers in from a school where they were doing well and we expect that same level of production AND MORE at UConn when in reality that first year they come in, production drops off.

Rodney Purvis (1st UConn year) 11.6ppg (i do love purvis, dont get it twisted) - coming off "the ferrari" label
Sterling Gibbs - 12.3ppg on 38.7% - coming off 16.3ppg at 43.1% at seton hall
Antwoine Anderson - 7.4ppg on 39.1% in 31.4 minutes a game - coming off 11.1ppg
Tarin Smith - 8ppg in 27 minutes a game - coming off 12.4ppg
R.J Cole (1st UConn year) 12.2ppg at 38.7% - coming off 21.4ppg

I get a lot of these guys had different levels of responsibility out there but the transfer landed almost never lives up to the hype we put on them. I want Newton to pan out 100%, I just think slating him at 32 minutes a game from the jump and saying there aren't minutes for another high level guard to come in and take is a mistake.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We really don't have plenty of minutes. We basically have enough room for one more significant (20+ mpg) contributor.

Estimated MPG on the roster:
Sanogo - 32
Newton - 32
Jackson - 32
Hawkins - 30
[New Player] - 25
Alleyne - 20

Clingan/Karaban/Johnson - ~30 total

There's not a wealth of minutes available unless you take them away from someone whose already a significant contributor.

Newton takes the place of Cole as the primary ballhandler.

I'm betting Alleyne and [New Player] are more competent ballhandlers and contributors than Gaffney/Diggins and at least one can be a good backup at primary PG. Alleyne shooting from 3 at almost 40% more than makes up for that.

Jackson is capable as a ballhandler and Hawkins is competent, but not primary. That gives us 5 players who are able to handle the ball.

We really don't need more than one more solid guard.
I think Johnson is a 20+mpg player. I tend to doubt anybody goes much over 30 with this roster. We played a lot of guys more minutes than we should have last year. Cole and Sanogo certainly, probably Martin as well. Here's my ballpark guess. Injuries always happen too, could change things.

Sanogo 29
Jackson 30
Hawkins 28
Newton 30
Alleyne 24
Johnson 22
Karaban 10
Clingan 6
[open minutes/Castle] 21

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think Johnson is a 20+mpg player. I tend to doubt anybody goes much over 30 with this roster. We played a lot of guys more minutes than we should have last year. Cole and Sanogo certainly, probably Martin as well. Here's my ballpark guess. Injuries always happen too, could change things.

Sanogo 29
Jackson 30
Hawkins 28
Newton 30
Alleyne 24
Johnson 22
Karaban 10
Clingan 6
[open minutes/Castle] 21
if alex only gets 10 and donovan only gets 6 next year, that will, prima facially, be coaching mal practice.

Reaction Score
I hope Newton is good, i really do. But i think the expectation is being set way too high. We've done this soooooooo many times and seems like fall into the same false sense of security every season. There's a guard who transfers in from a school where they were doing well and we expect that same level of production AND MORE at UConn when in reality that first year they come in, production drops off.

Rodney Purvis (1st UConn year) 11.6ppg (i do love purvis, dont get it twisted) - coming off "the ferrari" label

I get a lot of these guys had different levels of responsibility out there but the transfer landed almost never lives up to the hype we put on them. I want Newton to pan out 100%, I just think slating him at 32 minutes a game from the jump and saying there aren't minutes for another high level guard to come in and take is a mistake.

I may be wrong but no one is talking about production. Just MPG. He is going to get bulk minutes. He will be on a better team so naturally he won't be relied upon to score as much. But people are talking about minutes not production. He will still produce despite his usage rates falling a bit. Your reaching hard here. AA and Smith weren't ever suppose to reach their totals and were specifically brought in for back up roles. So immediately you can throw those two out. RJ came from Howard and naturally was never going to reach those crazy stats that he accumulated at a lower level. 12.2 was actually a nice surprise in his first year. So throw him out of your argument because there was no feeling of not living up to expectation. Purvis actually superseded his numbers from NC State. Something you NOT so cleverly left out. But due to Ollie's hype he might have been considered short of the expectation. 11.6 is about right for a first year in the program guy who shared the back court with an experienced Boatright and a ball dominant much hyped D Ham. Sterling Gibbs I will give you. He scored four points less but also shot 3 less shots per game. His shooting % was down and I did expect a little more in his one season with us.

So you hit on one of five.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
if alex only gets 10 and donovan only gets 6 next year, that will, prima facially, be coaching mal practice.
Alex may well get more. If he does, we have even fewer open minutes left. I don't think Donovan will, and I don't think he will be bothered by that. He's not going to be ready for this level of competition. He's a project.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

Sanogo 29
Jackson 30
Hawkins 28
Newton 30
Alleyne 24
Johnson 22
Karaban 10
Clingan 6
[open minutes/Castle] 21
You’re way too high on Johnson. I don’t know what you saw from him this year that says he’ll be ready for that much playing time. Hurley is already talking about Karaban more than Johnson when he talks about next year. The writing is on the wall.

Reaction Score

I think you're looking too much at stats when talking about expectations. I don't think there's any world where someone could claim RJ Cole didn't live up to expectations here. If anything he massively exceeded them in going from a MEAC transfer to All Big East 1st team

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but no one is talking about production. Just MPG. He is going to get bulk minutes. He will be on a better team so naturally he won't be relied upon to score as much. But people are talking about minutes not production. He will still produce despite his usage rates falling a bit. Your reaching hard here. AA and Smith weren't ever suppose to reach their totals and were specifically brought in for back up roles. So immediately you can throw those two out. RJ came from Howard and naturally was never going to reach those crazy stats that he accumulated at a lower level. 12.2 was actually a nice surprise in his first year. So throw him out of your argument because there was no feeling of not living up to expectation. Purvis actually superseded his numbers from NC State. Something you NOT so cleverly left out. But due to Ollie's hype he might have been considered short of the expectation. 11.6 is about right for a first year in the program guy who shared the back court with an experienced Boatright and a ball dominant much hyped D Ham. Sterling Gibbs I will give you. He scored four points less but also shot 3 less shots per game. His shooting % was down and I did expect a little more in his one season with us.

So you hit on one of five.

I get its about production and you make some points. That being said, I'm saying if the production isn't stellar why are we slating them in for 32 minutes a game from jump, because that 32 minuts a game is what's preventing people from saying another high level guy can come in. 'there aren't enough minutes'. I get it but im just saying maybe slate the guy for 25minutes from the jump and then your able to bring in another guy who isn't a stud but offering someone 15minutes a game vs. 5 is def going to increase the caliber of that player.

Also Tarin Smith averaged 27.6 minutes a game, and antwoine anderson averaged 31.4 minute a game...soooooo not sure how they were backups and im wrong there

Reaction Score
I think you're looking too much at stats when talking about expectations. I don't think there's any world where someone could claim RJ Cole didn't live up to expectations here. If anything he massively exceeded them in going from a MEAC transfer to All Big East 1st team
I was specifically referring to his first year, which I said in my post. His first year he shot under 40% from the field and had bouknight there to shield him from top defenders. His second year he was a great player to have and the team would have been lost wihtout him, there's no denying that, but that isn't what i was talking about

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not necessarily.

I firmly believe that by the time each of Clingan and Karaban complete their time here our fan base as a whole will say they outperformed expectations. I am however a little hesitant to about how ready each will be to play many meaningful minutes as true freshman (even with Karaban's early enrollment).

Minimal play in a freshman year will not necessarily equate to a coaching error or the players not being the level we were anticipating. In one case considerable improvement will be needed, in the other, a bit more physical maturity.

Reaction Score
You’re way too high on Johnson. I don’t know what you saw from him this year that says he’ll be ready for that much playing time. Hurley is already talking about Karaban more than Johnson when he talks about next year. The writing is on the wall.
Hurley said himself that Johnson has wall potential. That means something..He is almost 6’10” with a long wingspan and can step out. In his limited minutes last season he often scored off of putbacks. Lots or reasons for optimism about Johnson. He’s going to surprise some people next year. Only reason he didn’t get more time was because of Whaley and Polley staying an extra year

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hurley said himself that Johnson has wall potential. That means something..He is almost 6’10” with a long wingspan and can step out. In his limited minutes last season he often scored off of putbacks. Lots or reasons for optimism about Johnson. He’s going to surprise some people next year. Only reason he didn’t get more time was because of Whaley and Polley staying an extra year
He said that last summer. It’s ancient history. He barely played this year.

Hurley has brought up Karaban multiple times in the last month about how skilled he is and bringing shooting/passing to the table next year. It’s been radio silence on Johnson.

I hope Johnson goes crazy next year, but odds are that he will be behind Karaban at the 4.

Reaction Score
He said that last summer. It’s ancient history. He barely played this year.

Hurley has brought up Karaban multiple times in the last month about how skilled he is and bringing shooting/passing to the table next year. It’s been radio silence on Johnson.

I hope Johnson goes crazy next year, but odds are that he will be behind Karaban at the 4.
Think we need a Hard Knocks type show for UConn basketball this fall

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Not necessarily.

I firmly believe that by the time each of Clingan and Karaban complete their time here our fan base as a whole will say they outperformed expectations. I am however a little hesitant to about how ready each will be to play many meaningful minutes as true freshman (even with Karaban's early enrollment).

Minimal play in a freshman year will not necessarily equate to a coaching error or the players not being the level we were anticipating. In one case considerable improvement will be needed, in the other, a bit more physical maturity.
alex already knows more aboot the game than anyone on the team as constituted thus far. and, unbeknownst to some of the first anal-ists here when he signed on, donovan can drain the 3, amongst other obvious skilz that he has.
coaching malpractice if they don't get legit time on the hardwood next season. that's my story, and im sticking to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom