2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 29 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Hurley can get Jonson's defense tuned up, I think he will start at the 4. His potential as a secondary rim protector and ability to rebound the ball, alongside what should be his burgeoning offensive game should put him in the lineup with Adama.

Karaban will get plenty of minutes as a 3/4 in our somewhat positionless 4 out offense. All-around excellent player with a feel for the game.

Reaction Score
If Clingan hopes to go to the next level in a few years, he’s going to have to be a Hunter Dickenson type who can score inside and outside. We want him to be able to step out and hit a 3. Why? Because that draws the opposing center away from the hoop and opens up driving lanes for the guards.
But not as a freshman who will play 5-8 minutes a game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Castle is not going to reclass, don't we need another ball handler?
Yes, but if it’s a pure PG that person is going to be a 10 minute a game backup. Or is going to be Jackson. Just trying to be realistic. I do think we will get a “developmental” PG, or hope we do. But as for an impact player, you aren’t getting one at PG with Newton here. UConn has a better chance to get a guy who’s minutes will be shared across 1-2 (combo) or 2-3 (wing). We can always play AJax 10 minutes at PG with two of Alleyne, Hawk, New Guy and you’re fine. We have to stop pretending Hawk won’t be able to handle the ball.

Reaction Score
But not as a freshman who will play 5-8 minutes a game.
No one is expecting him to be at Dickinson’s level as a freshman, especially since he will be getting limited minutes behind Sanogo. But I’m just saying, he’ll have to expand his game out to the 3 point line if he wants to go to the NBA. That’s why Sanogo likely is not an NBA player in today’s world.

I still think Clingan can have a pretty good impact on offense this year though. He’s a very good passer, has a nice shooting touch, and he’s gigantic. Not sure how good his footwork is yet but he’ll be able to use his size and vision to be useful. Defense will be a challenge, especially if he’s too slow on his feet to get proper positioning. That will take quite some time to develop

Reaction Score
Yes, we're set on the wing and still really shallow at the PG spot

Agree, we really need another ball handler, but our options appear to be dwindling. We might have a better shot at a CG, maybe the Pitt kid?

Reaction Score
I've talked myself in Femi Odukale from Pitt...if he is ok in the 20 minute range per game next season. Put up similar numbers as Tyrese Martin did at URI before coming here (I'd say that worked out decently). From Brooklyn, went to school in Springfield.

His game though is different from Tyrese's, less strength and bully ball but more advanced ball handling and playmaking ability to get his own shot. Won't be as helpful on the glass but should be better at sharing the ball.

If he was willing to share time at the 1 and 2 guard spots with Newton, Alleyne, and Hawkins (maybe even Andre) I think he could be a good option.

Bart Torvik's advanced analytics pegs his defense in the territory of Jared Bynum / Aminu Mohammed to put it in Big East terms so good but not great, but with his 6'5" frame and an offseason under Hurley's watch should be much better. I feel comfortable making that assertion by looking at what happened with Tyrese. Check out the defensive metrics on his stats page: he became a better defensive player when he came to the Big East despite moving up from the A-10 (D-Rtg stayed about the same but DBPM improved).

Again the caveat is he has to be OK with 20 minutes per game next season since he would spelling Newton at the 1 and splitting time at the 2 with Alleyne.

Then the following year I can see him more in the 30 min range territory.

And an All-ACC Academic like Alleyne.

The offensive numbers at face value need work, but so did Martin's coming and from a weaker conference. I'll have to watch more tape but I bet being on a terrible team severely hurt his numbers.

Reaction Score
expect more from him than pre injury Akok as a freshman next year though.
this is a ringing endorsement if i ever heard one. freshmen akok played 28 mpg. we'll have a much better roster next year but if samson is giving us more production than frosh akok he should be around 20 mpg with a floor of 15.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No one is expecting him to be at Dickinson’s level as a freshman, especially since he will be getting limited minutes behind Sanogo. But I’m just saying, he’ll have to expand his game out to the 3 point line if he wants to go to the NBA. That’s why Sanogo likely is not an NBA player in today’s world.

I still think Clingan can have a pretty good impact on offense this year though. He’s a very good passer, has a nice shooting touch, and he’s gigantic. Not sure how good his footwork is yet but he’ll be able to use his size and vision to be useful. Defense will be a challenge, especially if he’s too slow on his feet to get proper positioning. That will take quite some time to develop
He'll have a lot of experience scrimmaging against Sanogo. ;)

Reaction Score
The longer this last major guard spot goes unfilled, the more likely it is that it’s reserved for Castle, right? I know it’s still pretty early but hopefully we hear some more info this week as to what direction the staff is thinking. Hurley was watching him again this weekend. I’m guessing they’ll be discussing more if they think it’s the right move or not

Reaction Score
The longer this last major guard spot goes unfilled, the more likely it is that it’s reserved for Castle, right? I know it’s still pretty early but hopefully we hear some more info this week as to what direction the staff is thinking. Hurley was watching him again this weekend. I’m guessing they’ll be discussing more if they think it’s the right move or not
We’ve been linked to a few guards in the last 2 or so weeks for class of ‘23. That wasn’t the case for some time now. I think the writing is on the wall.

Or, the staff could just be looking for an additional lead guard from the ‘23 recruiting class and I’m the fool.

Reaction Score
I've talked myself in Femi Odukale from Pitt...if he is ok in the 20 minute range per game next season. Put up similar numbers as Tyrese Martin did at URI before coming here (I'd say that worked out decently). From Brooklyn, went to school in Springfield.

His game though is different from Tyrese's, less strength and bully ball but more advanced ball handling and playmaking ability to get his own shot. Won't be as helpful on the glass but should be better at sharing the ball.

If he was willing to share time at the 1 and 2 guard spots with Newton, Alleyne, and Hawkins (maybe even Andre) I think he could be a good option.

Bart Torvik's advanced analytics pegs his defense in the territory of Jared Bynum / Aminu Mohammed to put it in Big East terms so good but not great, but with his 6'5" frame and an offseason under Hurley's watch should be much better. I feel comfortable making that assertion by looking at what happened with Tyrese. Check out the defensive metrics on his stats page: he became a better defensive player when he came to the Big East despite moving up from the A-10 (D-Rtg stayed about the same but DBPM improved).

Again the caveat is he has to be OK with 20 minutes per game next season since he would spelling Newton at the 1 and splitting time at the 2 with Alleyne.

Then the following year I can see him more in the 30 min range territory.

And an All-ACC Academic like Alleyne.

The offensive numbers at face value need work, but so did Martin's coming and from a weaker conference. I'll have to watch more tape but I bet being on a terrible team severely hurt his numbers.

His wingspan looks crazy

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If Castle is not going to reclass, don't we need another ball handler?
That is the guy who wants Johnson to start and play 20+ mpg at the 4 and now thinks we also need another wing?

Yes, you’re correct. 1 more guard.

Reaction Score
I think Femi would thrive under Hurley, hope we get him. We have plenty of minutes to go around with the 3 guard lineup. 3 years of of eligibility, I could see him becoming a next level prospect.
Poor FT shooter. 33% from the arc. Those seem like red flags.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That is the guy who wants Johnson to start and play 20+ mpg at the 4 and now thinks we also need another wing?

Yes, you’re correct. 1 more guard.
If you don't want Johnson to start and play 20+ a game then you want the team to be bad. Straight up. Because that would be the best result for UConn. Of course we need a guard. We have 4 open scholarships. We need several players. But this is how PG shapes up:
1. 2022-23 Newton 30+ mpg (plus an extra year if he wants)
2. 2023-24 Castle 25+ mpg
3. 2022-23 Jackson ? mpg (a non zero number)

We aren't going to get another quality PG in the portal. We can offer 20+ minutes to a combo guard or a wing. If we get a pure PG he will be deep bench depth/developmental.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think Akok Akok is hurt by how quickly you've moved on and replaced him in your heart
I am still fond of Akok. Love his energy, effort, just seemed like a terrific young man. Still think he should have played a lot more. Hope he has a great year wherever he lands.

As for Johnson, we need a legit 4 man that can both step out and hit 3s, rebound and protect the rim inside. As long as Dan is going to keep pulling his 5 from the paint, a shotblocking long 4 is critical to our defense. Johnson is the best 4 option we have, and the best backup 5 we have. He will have a field day dunking on lobs from AJax and Newton.

I wouldn't want Jackson at the 4 unless Clingan is at the 5 and he's staying in or around the paint.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If you don't want Johnson to start and play 20+ a game then you want the team to be bad. Straight up. Because that would be the best result for UConn. Of course we need a guard. We have 4 open scholarships. We need several players. But this is how PG shapes up:
1. 2022-23 Newton 30+ mpg (plus an extra year if he wants)
2. 2023-24 Castle 25+ mpg
3. 2022-23 Jackson ? mpg (a non zero number)

We aren't going to get another quality PG in the portal. We can offer 20+ minutes to a combo guard or a wing. If we get a pure PG he will be deep bench depth/developmental.
I see a path to 20 MPG for Johnson, but I see that with the bulk of his minutes as the primary big on the floor. 12-14 mpg.

I think a 2 big lineup will be situational or change of pace. 6-8 mpg.

I feel like you’re way too rigid on “traditional” player positions and roles.

Basketball now is moving towards being position-less guards and bigs. Aka, guys with handle who can create their own shots or guys who can’t.

“4 out” didn’t work too well last year with guys like Polley or Akok who couldn’t create anything for themselves.

Johnson not at the point where he can create his own shot. Once he does, he’ll be Deandre Daniels 2.0 and have plenty of starter minutes available at the 4.

Reaction Score
I see a path to 20 MPG for Johnson, but I see that with the bulk of his minutes as the primary big on the floor. 12-14 mpg.
i like the rest of your post but the first part highlights the PT squeeze our frontcourt faces w/ a small ball lineup.

if johnson is getting 12-14 mpg as the primary big on the floor, that is at C, that means sanogo is averaging 26-28 mpg, which is fine but means there'd be 0 mins left for clingan when he needs 5-8 at least

i'm fine starting and ending games w/ a small ball lineup but i don't think aj should play more than 15-20 mpg at the 4. the rest of the time i'd like samson and karaban there.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ok, i've been told that the new tao is the '4 out.' presumedly, mr johnson will be one of those 'out' guys, becuz mr sanogo owns the o paint.
i can buy/hope that his 3 ball is workable, but the part b of that thinking is 'when not available, he can put it on the floor and bust it to the rim.'
remains to be seen, cuz tyler did it oh so well.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
i like the rest of your post but the first part highlights the PT squeeze our frontcourt faces w/ a small ball lineup.

if johnson is getting 12-14 mpg as the primary big on the floor, that is at C, that means sanogo is averaging 26-28 mpg, which is fine but that means there'd be 0 mins left for clingan when he needs 5-8 at least

i'm fine starting and ending games w/ a small ball lineup but i don't think aj should play more than 15-20 mpg at the 4. the rest of the time i'd like samson and karaban there.
We do have a log jam of bigs. I am concerned about that.

Although I could see Sanogo playing 24-26 MPG in the cupcakes, 26-28 in early conference play and eventually ramping closer to 30 by March.

Apparently he ran out of gas this year. Maybe more conditioning solves that, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hurley watch his limits earlier in the year leading to more minutes for both Johnson and DC the first half of the season.

Also agree that Jackson won’t play his full 30MPG at the 4, but even if it’s only 15 mpg there, then there is only 25 minutes left for Samson and Karaban to split. If they split it 12 a piece, with 8 minutes at Center for Samson, DC still gets 6 MPG for most of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom