2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We need a defensive stopper that is at least 6'7". That could certainly be our Achilles next season. Hopefully we get one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We need a defensive stopper that is at least 6'7". That could certainly be our Achilles next season. Hopefully we get one.
If we get Alleyne, then yes, a guy about that size who can defend and rebound and isn’t a a non shooter would be next on the wish list.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It's wild to me how many of you can't get over a guy's height. Did you watch Jackson last year? Down the stretch he was playing a ton of point guard, even with RJ on the court. He's a guard.
Not when he is being pressed by someone even adequate on defense. His handle isn't tight enough.
Great in transition and slashing at times straight to the hole (but trouble finishing). He was a point guard growing up but then shot up from approx 6 foot to approx 6 foot seven. He has an awful lot of work to do on his handle to be a point guard. He also needs a lot of work on his shooting to be a guard. He seems most natural as a three and still needs a lot of work at handle and shot. But he has tremendous upside because of athleticism and the great desire/work ethic. Point guard? I don't see a future Magic Johnson. He is already going into his Junior year. Small forward (rebounding) and potential to be very good imho.

Reaction Score
A tale as old as time. People trying to assign players specific positions and numbers in a game that can be played positionless. How about we just talk strengths and weaknesses instead of what position he is playing. He is a starter. He is one of the five guys who will take the court in the first minutes of next year's first game. Forget about position, he has some guard skills (mainly on offense) he has some big skills (mainly on defense). AJax is a net positive because he impacts the game tremendously and his strengths outweigh his negatives.

Strengths: Power, Athleticism, Rebounding, Dunking, Transition Basketball (Scoring/Passing, Creating), Defense, Passing Vision, Hustle/Energy/Heart

Weaknesses: Shooting, Shooting/Scoring off the dribble, Creating off the dribble in half court, Touch/Accuracy/Decision making of passes

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I think the nuance that you are arguing over with regard to Jackson, is whether the ball was inbounded to him after a basket or dead ball. Some of you think whomever received that pass is the point guard. Perhaps that’s true. But if you didn’t see Jackson grab a rebound, take the ball up court and get us into our offense, you were not watching the same game as I was - or simply not watching at all.

Call that a point guard or point forward, or whatever else you want to call it, but he showed he can handle the ball and facilitate the offense. That’s all we need from him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not when he is being pressed by someone even adequate on defense. His handle isn't tight enough.
Great in transition and slashing at times straight to the hole (but trouble finishing). He was a point guard growing up but then shot up from approx 6 foot to approx 6 foot seven. He has an awful lot of work to do on his handle to be a point guard. He also needs a lot of work on his shooting to be a guard. He seems most natural as a three and still needs a lot of work at handle and shot. But he has tremendous upside because of athleticism and the great desire/work ethic. Point guard? I don't see a future Magic Johnson. He is already going into his Junior year. Small forward (rebounding) and potential to be very good imho.
Yeah, I'm going to disagree with the first sentence. AJax is so good against a press they simply won't press if he's back there. Anybody dribbling against a press is doing it wrong. Iverson could be swallowed up by a press. You beat a press by taking a quick lateral dribble and passing the ball ahead. He's fantastic at that, and turns a press into a mismatch for us on the other end. Tall point guards have a huge advantage against a press because they can pass over it. Nobody pressed Magic Johnson, and it wasn't because he was a great dribbler. Between Newton and AJax, nobody is going to press UConn next year.

Reaction Score
Don't we have a 6'6'' defensive stopper that hits his head on the ceiling of Gampel when he jumps?
He's athletic as hell, but I wouldn't day he's a lock down defender (yet?) and my point is more that we need to be able to lock down opponent 4's and 5's/bigs and I'm not convinced we have that at this point.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm going to disagree with the first sentence. AJax is so good against a press they simply won't press if he's back there. Anybody dribbling against a press is doing it wrong. Iverson could be swallowed up by a press. You beat a press by taking a quick lateral dribble and passing the ball ahead. He's fantastic at that, and turns a press into a mismatch for us on the other end. Tall point guards have a huge advantage against a press because they can pass over it. Nobody pressed Magic Johnson, and it wasn't because he was a great dribbler. Between Newton and AJax, nobody is going to press UConn next year.
Are you saying that nobody pressed Uconn last year because Ajax was "back there"? I disagree with that. When there was pressure against the "point of attack" (bringing the ball up but not in a transition/ fast break mode) it was not Ajax back there but Cole or to a lesser extent Gaff because they were better ballhandlers. They often would not press because the point was Cole who, in that capacity, was quite adept as a ballhandler and passer. Ajax is more of the Dan Hamilton transitional type "point" forward. That's all I'm saying. If this is not correct, why was Cole bringing the ball up when not in transition? In a non transition environment Ajax is the guy at mid court to help out when there is a press and the man bringing the ball up needs help. example: Trap is sprung by opponent on Cole by one or more. He passes to either the other backcourt man or to Ajax (who can either pass or dribble to break the press).

While the game has changed and is changing to simply label everything today as "positionless" doesn't mean that the functions of players are no longer valid. Your above comment on Iverson is exactly what I am trying to illustrate. Substitute Cole for Iverson in the example. The two highlighted comments you made above are contradictory (but I understand what you mean). I think if you read carefully what I said you can understand what I am saying. BTW, Magic Johnson could break presses so well because he could both ball handle (dribble) and pass and was 6-8. I am saying that AJ cannot ball handle like Johnson. It's not even an item of discussion comparatively.

If Newton is not as (reasonably) as good a ballhandler as Cole and we have no other ballhandler we will probably have problems. It's wonderful to have tall "point guards" as long as they can get past lockdown defenders. The problem with weaknesses are that they are probed by opponents and when they find one they will exploit it until you have a solution. A number of people on this board have opined that we need more ballhandlers because failing that we can be exploited rather easily.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Are you saying that nobody pressed Uconn last year because Ajax was "back there"? I disagree with that. When there was pressure against the "point of attack" (bringing the ball up but not in a transition/ fast break mode) it was not Ajax back there but Cole or to a lesser extent Gaff because they were better ballhandlers. They often would not press because the point was Cole who, in that capacity, was quite adept as a ballhandler and passer. Ajax is more of the Dan Hamilton transitional type "point" forward. That's all I'm saying. If this is not correct, why was Cole bringing the ball up when not in transition? In a non transition environment Ajax is the guy at mid court to help out when there is a press and the man bringing the ball up needs help. example: Trap is sprung by opponent on Cole by one or more. He passes to either the other backcourt man or to Ajax (who can either pass or dribble to break the press).

While the game has changed and is changing to simply label everything today as "positionless" doesn't mean that the functions of players are no longer valid. Your above comment on Iverson is exactly what I am trying to illustrate. Substitute Cole for Iverson in the example. The two highlighted comments you made above are contradictory (but I understand what you mean). I think if you read carefully what I said you can understand what I am saying. BTW, Magic Johnson could break presses so well because he could both ball handle (dribble) and pass and was 6-8. I am saying that AJ cannot ball handle like Johnson. It's not even an item of discussion comparatively.

If Newton is not as (reasonably) as good a ballhandler as Cole and we have no other ballhandler we will probably have problems. It's wonderful to have tall "point guards" as long as they can get past lockdown defenders. The problem with weaknesses are that they are probed by opponents and when they find one they will exploit it until you have a solution. A number of people on this board have opined that we need more ballhandlers because failing that we can be exploited rather easily.
Go back and watch. When the adjustment was made to keep AJax back with the ball handler, the press ended. He burned it a few times for easy layups. But then future coaches saw film and realized you couldn't press us if he was back there instead of in the front court. It was simple and effective. Biggest mistake Hurley made was pulling Cole and Jackson at the same time and leaving Gaffney alone. Martin wasn't terrible as a relief valve, but not good enough. That's when we got pressed.

Reaction Score
I've watched Jackson guard a guy 35+ feet out and get blown by too often to call him a defensive stopper. He is very versatile and has all the potential to be, but I wouldn't call him a stopper just yet.

He had games where he showed he could be a lockdown defender towards the end of the year but then he went back to cheating off the ball. He's a smart kid, thinks he can read minds so he doesn't space well off the ball instead hoping to read an ill-advised pass and make a play. That's all good until the cross court to your guy and he beats you to the rim. And as you said Cardiac, he did get beat off the dribble more than he should as well. I think it's purely focus for him and he can be the guy everyone believes he could be. The one thing he did better in the next 2 games versus Nova was stay on the ground for the most part because first game we couldn't keep him from jumping on ball fakes. The kid has all the tools and game, can't wait to see more!

Reaction Score
Are you saying that nobody pressed Uconn last year because Ajax was "back there"? I disagree with that. When there was pressure against the "point of attack" (bringing the ball up but not in a transition/ fast break mode) it was not Ajax back there but Cole or to a lesser extent Gaff because they were better ballhandlers.
ItS hArD tO cOnVeY iN wOrDs HoW wRoNG yOu ArE aBoUt ThIs.
stupid typing indicates sarcasm

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A tale as old as time. People trying to assign players specific positions and numbers in a game that can be played positionless. How about we just talk strengths and weaknesses instead of what position he is playing. He is a starter. He is one of the five guys who will take the court in the first minutes of next year's first game. Forget about position, he has some guard skills (mainly on offense) he has some big skills (mainly on defense). AJax is a net positive because he impacts the game tremendously and his strengths outweigh his negatives.

Strengths: Power, Athleticism, Rebounding, Dunking, Transition Basketball (Scoring/Passing, Creating), Defense, Passing Vision, Hustle/Energy/Heart

Weaknesses: Shooting, Shooting/Scoring off the dribble, Creating off the dribble in half court, Touch/Accuracy/Decision making of passes
He’s been playing a scorer/shooter position and rarely gets into double figures. He is probably a net plus, but given the absence of shooters this past year, I think It’s a close call. I’m among those who isn’t sold on his being a ball handler in a point guard role. He’s great on the break but gets the ball taken away too often in traffic. I hope with his great coordination and athleticism he can learn way better form and control and become a double figure scorer. A little bit of a pull up game would make him much harder to contain on penetration.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He had games where he showed he could be a lockdown defender towards the end of the year but then he went back to cheating off the ball. He's a smart kid, thinks he can read minds so he doesn't space well off the ball instead hoping to read an ill-advised pass and make a play. That's all good until the cross court to your guy and he beats you to the rim. And as you said Cardiac, he did get beat off the dribble more than he should as well. I think it's purely focus for him and he can be the guy everyone believes he could be. The one thing he did better in the next 2 games versus Nova was stay on the ground for the most part because first game we couldn't keep him from jumping on ball fakes. The kid has all the tools and game, can't wait to see more!
Andre's defensive play was the polar opposite of how Tyler played. Tyler stuck (or tried to stick) like glue to the player he was guarding. His eyes rarely left that player and as a consequence he rarely turned to get rebounds when a different opponent player would shoot.

Andre, just as he does on offense, observes what is happening with a lot of the play (where opponents are, where his team mates are) and not just his player. He's ready to get back to the rim for rebounds or a block. As a result he was susceptible to back door cuts. That should be reduced significantly this season. I believe he will get his timing down and prevent most guards from driving to the basket. He has the speed.

He was option four on offense this past season. He deferred a lot by choice imo. When Bouknight was here Cole and Martin were options 2 and 3. Bouknight leaves Sanogo, Cole and Martin became interchangeable options 1-3. Hurley (and the players) have a pecking order of who shoots and who creates and that dynamic changes. AJ will be taking more threes and driving to the basket a lot more this season.

Reaction Score
If we get Alleyne, then yes, a guy about that size who can defend and rebound and isn’t a a non shooter would be next on the wish list.
who among our transfer offers (plus castle) fits that description? i'll wait

Jahmir Young- PG
Femi Odukale- CG
Rudi Williams- CG
Courtney Ramey- CG
Stephon Caslte- CG
Hunter McIntosh- SG
Dexter Dennis- W
Terrence Shannon- W
Antonio Reeves- W

after alleyne the next transfer is gonna be another G/W. if we get a 3/4 he's prob not gonna be in the rotation he'd be a developmental piece

Last edited:
Reaction Score
who among our transfer offers (plus castle) fits that description? i'll wait

Jahmir Young- PG
Femi Odukale- CG
Rudi Williams- CG
Courtney Ramey- CG
Stephon Caslte- CG
Hunter McIntosh- G
Dexter Dennis- W
Terrence Shannon- W
Antonio Reeves- W

if we get a 3/4 he's prob not gonna be in the rotation he'd be a developmental piece
Those are the guys we know about because they are quasi big names. Theres still 1200+ in the portal. Im sure DH and staff take their time accessing the last spot or two. A LOT of guys are getting low interest now that may end up being solid pieces

Reaction Score
Those are the guys we know about because they are quasi big names. Theres still 1200+ in the portal. Im sure DH and staff take their time accessing the last spot or two. A LOT of guys are getting low interest now that may end up being solid pieces
right...after alleyne we have room for 1 more big name and all the big names we're invovled with are Gs/Ws. but the last 2 (or 3) schollys are not going to guys that will command a spot in the rotation they'll be depth pieces. we arent playing all 13 guys.

if that's what you're saying then we agree but that's not what the other guys are saying. they have been clamoring for a F to get the last spot in the rotation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
right...after alleyne we have room for 1 more big name and all the big names we're invovled with are Gs/Ws. but the last 2 (or 3) schollys are not going to guys that will command a spot in the rotation they'll be depth pieces. we arent playing all 13 guys.

if that's what you're saying then we agree but that's not what the other guys are saying. they have been clamoring for a F to get the last spot in the rotation.
Yes we do agree. BUT I wouldnt rule out the possibility of a “project” wing being able to eat into the perceived Samson minutes. We all want Samson to do well with increased burn, but its entirely possible someone we bring it pushes him for some of those minutes.

Reaction Score
Yes we do agree. BUT I wouldnt rule out the possibility of a “project” wing being able to eat into the perceived Samson minutes. We all want Samson to do well with increased burn, but its entirely possible someone we bring it pushes him for some of those minutes.
same could be true for karaban but i hope neither scenario comes to fruition because i foresee big roles for both this year. if samson in particular doesnt play at least 15-20 mpg i will be very worried about him going into next summer.

Reaction Score
It's possible but I think it's far more likely Samson is pushing one of the new guards we bring in for a starting spot than he is to dropping out of the rotation

Reaction Score
Samson did only play 68 minutes last year and appeared be healthy whole time. I'm hoping he has a big summer and comes in playing like the top 100 recruit he was, but at this point I wouldn't hate one of those vacant scholarships going to another stretch 4 type of player in case Samson doesn't progress and Karaban struggles fitting in. Doesn't necessarily have to be a stud but just another body who can fill those minutes when needed would be nice

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Welcome to The Boneyard. I enjoy rational and informative posters. You remind me a little of nyhuskyfan/Gurleyman. Did you ever post here under a different name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom