2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
If you say we need 3 starting guards, it means that there's a problem if we end up starting 2, right? I can imagine different ways we could get to the beginning of the season with 2 starting guards that I would not consider a problem or flawed, so I'm just trying to understand why it will be such an issue if we don't start 3.

Forget starting. We need the flexibility to be able to put a quick, creative 3-guard lineup out there or to put out a bigger 2-guard lineup.

Karaban/Jackson/Samson/Springs make a diverse group that can cover the 4, Sanogo/Clingan/Samson/Springs can cover the 5. If Hawkins/Jackson/Karaban can all play the 3, then we are in good shape there. Looking at the guards, if Hawkins can improve his ball handling then he can slide over to the 2 as needed or be the 3rd guard in 3-guard lineups, and Newton/Castle/Alleyne would be sufficient. If not, then one more guard would help.

I think Hawkins will be fine so I think we're in good shape.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Pretty excited for next season, lot of people bummed to lose floyd, akok, etc. but with a starting lineup of

PG: Posh Alexander
SG: Emoni Bates
SF: Stephon Castle
PF: Andre Jackson
C: Adama Sanogo

with Clingan, Karaban, Hawkins, Newton as bench players its pretty hard not to be optomistic about this team
Posh Alexander?????

Reaction Score
Jackson at shooting guard, okaaaaay.

He's a 3/4 in college. If Hurley is still trying to fit square pegs in round holes we'll have issues again.

Who are the big wings we're reaching out to? We're about to get a shooting guard.

It's wild to me how many of you can't get over a guy's height. Did you watch Jackson last year? Down the stretch he was playing a ton of point guard, even with RJ on the court. He's a guard.

Reaction Score
FWIW a four-G lineup prob means springs gets squeezed out of the frontcourt rotation again. sorry huskyhawk, avert your eyes.

Newton 30- Castle 10
Castle 15- Alleyne 20- Hawkins 5
Hawkins 20- Jackson 10- Karaban 10
Jackson 20- Samson 15- Karaban 5
Sanogo 30- Samson 5- Clingan 5

30- Newton, Jackson, Sanogo
25- Castle, Hawkins
20- Alleyne, Samson
15- Karaban
5- Clingan

Need to find more than 5 for Clingan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jackson at shooting guard, okaaaaay.

He's a 3/4 in college. If Hurley is still trying to fit square pegs in round holes we'll have issues again.

Who are the big wings we're reaching out to? We're about to get a shooting guard.
No, dual point guards. Hawkins at 2/3. Hurley's pitch is getting guys ready to go pro. Well there is only one way to do that with Andre, play him as a PG. Meanwhile, Sanogo will shoot 3's this year and more face up midrange shots too. I think Andre is a square peg round hole at every position except PG. You can disagree, I'm pretty confident they will play much like Bazz/Boat with Newton and Andre shifting on/off the ball.

As for big wings, Shannon, Dennis, Reeves.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
FWIW a four-G lineup prob means springs gets squeezed out of the frontcourt rotation again. sorry huskyhawk, avert your eyes.

Newton 30- Castle 10
Castle 15- Alleyne 20- Hawkins 5
Hawkins 20- Jackson 10- Karaban 10
Jackson 20- Samson 15- Karaban 5
Sanogo 30- Samson 5- Clingan 5

30- Newton, Jackson, Sanogo
25- Castle, Hawkins
20- Alleyne, Samson
15- Karaban
5- Clingan
If Clingan isn’t getting 35 minutes a game we have a culture problem

Reaction Score
If Clingan isn’t getting 35 minutes a game we have a culture problem
I see Clingan playing a bit less around 18 to 20 a game. He’ll need to catch up on the college cardio and strength level so it’ll be an adjustment.

Reaction Score
I think Clingan’s ability to avoid fouls will be the biggest issue regarding his PT. If he’s smart and fast enough to avoid fouls, he’ll see more minutes. May take some time for him to catch up to the new speed but he’ll get there.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
No, dual point guards. Hawkins at 2/3. Hurley's pitch is getting guys ready to go pro. Well there is only one way to do that with Andre, play him as a PG. Meanwhile, Sanogo will shoot 3's this year and more face up midrange shots too. I think Andre is a square peg round hole at every position except PG. You can disagree, I'm pretty confident they will play much like Bazz/Boat with Newton and Andre shifting on/off the ball.

Sanogo's going to be a 3 point shooter next season? I won't hold my breath.

Reaction Score

The whole "where will Andre play" discussion feels like 90% semantics at this point. Whether he's officially the 1, 2, 3, or 4, he's going to handle a pretty decent chunk of point duties. That could be with Samson/Karaban at the 4 or it could be with 3 guards on the floor along with Andre in a small ball lineup (my guess is we'll see a lot of both). People are getting too hung up on a) his height, and b) the word "guard".

Reaction Score
The whole "where will Andre play" discussion feels like 90% semantics at this point. Whether he's officially the 1, 2, 3, or 4, he's going to handle a pretty decent chunk of point duties. That could be with Samson/Karaban at the 4 or it could be with 3 guards on the floor along with Andre in a small ball lineup (my guess is we'll see a lot of both). People are getting too hung up on a) his height, and b) the word "guard".
I agree. I think he plays the same position he did this year with improved scoring.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sanogo's going to be a 3 point shooter next season? I won't hold my breath.
Yes. He will take them. He has to. This is almost certainly our last season with Adama. He doesn't have to be great at it, or take any volume, but if he shows he has a good stroke and can hit some, NBA teams will know he can improve at it. He'll put the ball on the floor from further out as well. He's done that a few times pretty effectively.

I have criticized Hurley, but I think he will absolutely prioritize his players' future. He did it with Martin, making him a guard, letting him bring the ball up and giving him a green light from 3. So yes, Andre will be a guard on the offensive end, will shoot more 3's and attack the rim off the dribble. Hawk needs to get stronger, show he can handle the ball and play faster and score at the rim.

Reaction Score
UConn has 5 scholarships open. Last year the the ball handlers were Cole and Gaffney and they're both gone. Anyone just assuming Hawkins and Jackson are going to be great ball handlers magically is a moron. Hopefully they are, but assuming they will be and a guy who didn't scare anyone in a weaker conference last year are all the team needs for guard depth is setting themselves up for another NIT season. This team NEEDS another point guard. I hope Newton is great but I'm not ready to put all my eggs in his basket when there are still 5 scholarships to fill.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
this is sarcasm, right?
Yes. I would be surprised if he gets significant minutes.

Ppl seem to think it’s a good strategy to play freshman who are not ready to contribute over more established players who are equipped to help win the games in the current season. I’m not in that camp. Unless he’s way more ready than we realize, I expect him to get development minutes only.

Reaction Score
UConn has 5 scholarships open. Last year the the ball handlers were Cole and Gaffney and they're both gone. Anyone just assuming Hawkins and Jackson are going to be great ball handlers magically is a moron.
Jackson handled the ball a hell of a lot more and a hell of a lot better than Gaffney last year, so maybe we pull back a bit on calling other folks morons.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree. I think he plays the same position he did this year with improved scoring.
Absolutely. He was the fourth scoring option (fifth when Tyler subbed in for Whaley) last year. With Rese and RJ gone I expect AJ will be encouraged to score more.

I’m salivating at the prospect of highlight plays we’re going to see from this kid in 22-23.

“Book it Danno”

Reaction Score
UConn has 5 scholarships open. Last year the the ball handlers were Cole and Gaffney and they're both gone. Anyone just assuming Hawkins and Jackson are going to be great ball handlers magically is a moron. Hopefully they are, but assuming they will be and a guy who didn't scare anyone in a weaker conference last year are all the team needs for guard depth is setting themselves up for another NIT season. This team NEEDS another point guard. I hope Newton is great but I'm not ready to put all my eggs in his basket when there are still 5 scholarships to fill.
Cool, we have a moronic troll now

Reaction Score
Yes. He will take them. He has to. This is almost certainly our last season with Adama. He doesn't have to be great at it, or take any volume, but if he shows he has a good stroke and can hit some, NBA teams will know he can improve at it. He'll put the ball on the floor from further out as well. He's done that a few times pretty effectively.

I have criticized Hurley, but I think he will absolutely prioritize his players' future. He did it with Martin, making him a guard, letting him bring the ball up and giving him a green light from 3. So yes, Andre will be a guard on the offensive end, will shoot more 3's and attack the rim off the dribble. Hawk needs to get stronger, show he can handle the ball and play faster and score at the rim.
Trying to imagine how someone could look at Tyrese playing guard for last year's team and think it was only for the player's benefit. He was playing guard because we needed someone to play guard, and he was our best option.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Trying to imagine how someone could look at Tyrese playing guard for last year's team and think it was only for the player's benefit. He was playing guard because we needed someone to play guard, and he was our best option.
:rolleyes: Yes we did. And yet his ballhandling wasn't up to it after his first year here. Most viewed him as a SF and even undersized 4. He worked his butt off to improve what needed to be improved. We needed it and he needed it. What do we need this year?
Hawkins to improve his ball handling (he will) and strength (he will) and ability to get to the rim and finish (he will)
Sanogo to be able to hit from outside (he will) and to put the ball on the floor from further out and finish (he will)
Jackson to score more consistently from range (he will) and to drive and finish layups/dunks, through contact (he will).
Johnson to be a shot blocking PF the runs the floor and scores in transition and can reliably hit the corner 3 on offense. (he will)

What they need is often what we need. The answers are mostly here. Yet, for example, I see posters still claiming Hawkins can't be relied upon to dribble the ball.

Reaction Score
Jackson handled the ball a hell of a lot more and a hell of a lot better than Gaffney last year, so maybe we pull back a bit on calling other folks morons.
Gaffney played way less for sure, but Gaffney ran the point last year even with Cole in the game at times. Jackson handled the ball in transition a lot, but running the point is a different thing altogether. Gaffney didn't do much with it, but he definitely handled it better with a 2.22 assits to turnover ratio compared to Jackson's 1.55. The point being last year one of the biggest issues was depth at point guard. 3 point guards left the team, and 1 has come in. There are 5 scholarships available and some people in here are saying there is no need for another point guard signing....getting another point guard is essential

Reaction Score
Hawkins will be getting the majority of his minutes at the 3. And that's whether the guard we bring in is Hunter or someone else
I'm not at all sure of that. As of today, I would expect the starting 5 to be Sanogo, Johnson, AJ, Hawk and Newton. I'm not nearly as sure that AJ plays tons of 4 or tons of point as many here are.

Reaction Score
I'm not at all sure of that. As of today, I would expect the starting 5 to be Sanogo, Johnson, AJ, Hawk and Newton. I'm not nearly as sure that AJ plays tons of 4 or tons of point as many here are.
completely agree. I think he'll bring the ball up in transition and dictate the pace often almost in a similar way Draymond Green does with the Warriors, but I don't see him being the defacto Point Guard out there, or the sole ball handler in the lineup too often

Reaction Score
Gaffney played way less for sure, but Gaffney ran the point last year even with Cole in the game at times. Jackson handled the ball in transition a lot, but running the point is a different thing altogether.
It's hard to convey in words how wrong you are about this. Jackson played the point A LOT, even when Cole was in the games.
There are 5 scholarships available and some people in here are saying there is no need for another point guard signing....getting another point guard is essential
Who is saying that? I don't think I've seen one person on this board say that we shouldn't be bringing in another point guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom