2022 Transfer Offer Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

2022 Transfer Offer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're probably right, but the reason people think we have a chance is that UConn was in his top 10
Yeah I get that, but a top 10 is pretty meaningless unless he took a visit or we went out to watch him play a lot which doesn't seem to be the case. I think Spears is an interesting alternative to take a flier on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We were all over him coming out of high school. The staff better be all over him again, Luke Murray was his primary recruiter when Louisville was recruiting him.
Do we think a very good PG like this, with 3 years of eligibility, is compatible with Castle/Newton? Because I'm not seeing that really. Not that we wouldn't want him, but that he'd be looking to start. If Castle reclasses, that would be 3 guys expecting to start at one position.

Reaction Score
Do we think a very good PG like this, with 3 years of eligibility, is compatible with Castle/Newton? Because I'm not seeing that really. Not that we wouldn't want him, but that he'd be looking to start. If Castle reclasses, that would be 3 guys expecting to start at one position.
I don't expect him to come here because he'll have a ton of options, but yes. All 3 would be capable of playing the 1 or 2 and could get 25+ minutes easily. Unless the staff thinks Newton is a 2 year player, then I could see the logjam you mention next year

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't expect him to come here because he'll have a ton of options, but yes. All 3 would be capable of playing the 1 or 2 and could get 25+ minutes easily. Unless the staff thinks Newton is a 2 year player, then I could see the logjam you mention next year
Well you've also got Hawkins needing minutes at the 2. I simply don't think he will find the prospect appealing. He will have options where he's the clear #1 PG.

Reaction Score
Well you've also got Hawkins needing minutes at the 2. I simply don't think he will find the prospect appealing. He will have options where he's the clear #1 PG.
Hawkins will be getting the majority of his minutes at the 3. And that's whether the guard we bring in is Hunter or someone else

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't really get it. We have 5 open scholarships and it seems like some people think we're set at basically every position. We have a ton of minutes to offer guards
People don't want to get hurt again. Can't be betrayed by transfers out from not getting enough minutes if everyone is playing 30 minutes a night.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm not getting all the we have a guard crunch posts. We have one guard who can handle and score on the entire roster as of now.
Yeah I don't really get it. We have 5 open scholarships and it seems like some people think we're set at basically every position. We have a ton of minutes to offer guards
I’m not saying we are set at guard. I’m saying that a kid who may now be the best player in the portal, isn’t the kind of guard who is going to come here, when there are schools where he’d be a clear #1 PG. We need guys who are ok coming off the bench. Hawkins is working on his handle, he will be fine as a ball handler.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying we are set at guard. I’m saying that a kid who may now be the best player in the portal, isn’t the kind of guard who is going to come here, when there are schools where he’d be a clear #1 PG. We need guys who are ok coming off the bench. Hawkins is working on his handle, he will be fine as a ball handler.
We need a starting guard from the portal.

Reaction Score
We "need" a guard who will start over Hawkins? I mean, if such a person exists and is willing to commit, I'd be thrilled, but I don't agree that we need it. We do need more at the guard position, but finding someone to start over Hawkins seems like gravy, not a necessity.

Reaction Score
We "need" a guard who will start over Hawkins? I mean, if such a person exists and is willing to commit, I'd be thrilled, but I don't agree that we need it. We do need more at the guard position, but finding someone to start over Hawkins seems like gravy, not a necessity.
another starting G means we're either committing to a small ball lineup (e.g. hunter / newton / hawk / aj / sanogo) or hawkins is not starting...

if it's the former then yeah we'd need an elite transfer G (e.g. hunter or shannon) because starting a guy like rudi williams is not worth giving up all that size/defense/rebounding.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nope. Jackson isn’t the starting 4. He’s the 3. Hawkins the 2. Newton the 1. If DH doesn’t want Johnson as the 4 then we need a 4. But what we need most is a backup 1 and a backup 2/3. The 2/3 will get lots of minutes. The backup 1 less so, but still 10+. If we treat AJ as the backup 1, then we need two guys in that wing category, or even one that’s a pure 2 like Ramey.

That’s actually what I expect right now. AJax getting the backup PG minutes so we target a SG and a bigger wing. Probably still look for a pure bench developmental PG too.

Reaction Score
Nope. Jackson isn’t the starting 4. He’s the 3. Hawkins the 2. Newton the 1. If DH doesn’t want Johnson as the 4 then we need a 4. But what we need most is a backup 1 and a backup 2/3. The 2/3 will get lots of minutes. The backup 1 less so, but still 10+. If we treat AJ as the backup 1, then we need two guys in that wing category, or even one that’s a pure 2 like Ramey.

That’s actually what I expect right now. AJax getting the backup PG minutes so we target a SG and a bigger wing. Probably still look for a pure bench developmental PG too.

We don't know what we need because we don't know Hurley's plan. If he believes AK and SJ are ready to start at the 4, that changes a lot. 4 out doesn't necessarily mean 4 guards/wings. It means 4 guys who can shoot. In this case, we probably want a combo and a bigger 2/3. And they very likely will be the 6th and 7th men.

I am skeptical that we start with Dre at the 4. But yeah, in that case, we want to bring in a combo guard to start. And with Newton's size, we have the flexibility to go after a small combo.

Reaction Score

We have 8 players right now and every single player we're reaching out to is a guard. I understand you may want Jackson to play the 3 and Hawkins to play the 2 but there is nothing to suggest we're targeting a wing to start at the 4 with them. Yet we keep reaching out to guards who would want to start if they come here

Reaction Score
We need three guards to start...Newton, TBD, Hawkins.

Reaction Score

What does it mean to say we need to be starting 3 guards. We're going to be an incomplete team if we somehow end up only starting the typical 2, no matter how that comes about?

Reaction Score
What does it mean to say we need to be starting 3 guards. We're going to be an incomplete team if we somehow end up only starting the typical 2, no matter how that comes about?
I don't understand your question.

Reaction Score
question understand GIF

Reaction Score

If you say we need 3 starting guards, it means that there's a problem if we end up starting 2, right? I can imagine different ways we could get to the beginning of the season with 2 starting guards that I would not consider a problem or flawed, so I'm just trying to understand why it will be such an issue if we don't start 3.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Jackson is a guard. Forget for the moment whether you think he can play the 4. His future as a pro is as a point guard. Hurley has said so. That’s what he’s going to want to showcase in what is probably his last season. He is working on the things that will allow that, just as Martin did last summer. I kept saying he’d be our starting SG and nobody believed me. Jackson and Newton will be big versions of Bazz and Boat. Hawkins the wing. The missing starter isn’t going to be a guard. It will be Johnson or good luck keeping him. Hopefully Hurley learned that lesson. Two big passing guards feeding Sanogo and a lob dunk machine like Johnson who can also shoot. Very hard to stop that.

Yes we are reaching out to guards and big wings because we have no depth at those spots. But I don’t think any additional transfers will start barring injury. We will see who turns out being right.

Reaction Score
Jackson is a guard. Forget for the moment whether you think he can play the 4. His future as a pro is as a point guard. Hurley has said so. That’s what he’s going to want to showcase in what is probably his last season. He is working on the things that will allow that, just as Martin did last summer. I kept saying he’d be our starting SG and nobody believed me. Jackson and Newton will be big versions of Bazz and Boat. Hawkins the wing. The missing starter isn’t going to be a guard. It will be Johnson or good luck keeping him. Hopefully Hurley learned that lesson. Two big passing guards feeding Sanogo and a lob dunk machine like Johnson who can also shoot. Very hard to stop that.

Yes we are reaching out to guards and big wings because we have no depth at those spots. But I don’t think any additional transfers will start barring injury. We will see who turns out being right.
Jackson at shooting guard, okaaaaay.

He's a 3/4 in college. If Hurley is still trying to fit square pegs in round holes we'll have issues again.

Who are the big wings we're reaching out to? We're about to get a shooting guard.

Reaction Score
FWIW a four-G lineup prob means springs gets squeezed out of the frontcourt rotation again. sorry huskyhawk, avert your eyes.

Newton 30- Castle 10
Castle 15- Alleyne 20- Hawkins 5
Hawkins 20- Jackson 10- Karaban 10
Jackson 20- Samson 15- Karaban 5
Sanogo 30- Samson 5- Clingan 5

30- Newton, Jackson, Sanogo
25- Castle, Hawkins
20- Alleyne, Samson
15- Karaban
5- Clingan

Last edited:
Status