2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 50 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Speaking of which, here is a local piece mentioning her from the other day.

One of the biggest pieces to the Trojans this year that was missing in 2018 postseason is the play of freshman Shay Bollin.

Her presence in the middle as well as her ability to knocked down shots from the outside makes B-R hard to defend. Bollin leads the Trojans in scoring, rebounds, shooting percentage, three-point shooting percentage and block shots.

“Shay [Bollin] has made a huge difference,” said senior guard Kaleigh Matulonis, who is the second leading scorer at 8.9 points per game. “I think everything we built last year, she was our missing piece.”

Younger sister Kenzie Matulonis agreed with Kaleigh.

“It’s nice because she is such a versatile player,” Kenzie Matulonis said. “We can have her at any position on the floor and get her the ball. We have a big (center) now. We were pretty short last year so now we have someone over 6 feet.”

It's all about winning for the Bridgewater-Raynham girls basketball team

I fixed my post. She's c/o 2022.

Reaction Score
if I'm not mistaken UConn was not listed as having interest in Clark in that recent story about her......it certainly can't be about her talent so I assume either they know she is going elsewhere or they are satisfied with their other choices.......she's going to be a force for somebody.

"Following up on these exchanges, here's an Iowa-based article on Ms. Clark that came out after this game:
"She’s undecided on where she’ll attend college, but when she does choose, she’ll have plenty of options: essentially every relevant school, with the exception of UConn, has offered her a scholarship. "

I like her game even more than Hailey Van Lith. Too bad that Uconn is not interested, may because she has stated " I think one of the most important things is, I want to play right away" and that is never a given at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Jaelyn Bates highlights from her games this week on 2/6 and 2/8.

Bates might actually have as pure a shot as Azzi Fudd, and can get it away quicker. Her skill level, IQ, and athleticism are all top shelf.

A Bates and Fudd back court could be something to see, maybe like the splash brothers, but the sisters version.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She has a lot of chatter from the Notre Dame board.
I'd say ND has the best odds based on geographic proximity and the fact it is an historically Catholic school

HopJim:

Caitlin Clark has been a subject of discussion on McGraw's Bench for quite some time and some of the points Charlie has brought up are mentioned (time and time again. ;))

I compile a lot of the recruiting notes that cross the Bench (and elsewhere). You'll note that Clark and one Paige Bueckers are front and center in the point guard area.
https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=mcgraw;pid=58694;d=this

(BTW, don't get too down on this respectful Irish poster putting this in the UConn section: I've always posted Clark news in the Non-UConn recruiting section because she does not appear to be on the Husky brainstrust's radar (at least for now).)

Reaction Score
I like her game even more than Hailey Van Lith. Too bad that Uconn is not interested, may because she has stated " I think one of the most important things is, I want to play right away" and that is never a given at Uconn.

true but she's not going to play right away at Notre Dame either I would suspect.................of course if Bueckers chooses ND that might also have some impact on Clark's playing time

Reaction Score
HopJim:

Caitlin Clark has been a subject of discussion on McGraw's Bench for quite some time and some of the points Charlie has brought up are mentioned (time and time again. ;))

(BTW, don't get too down on this respectful Irish poster putting this in the UConn section: I've always posted Clark news in the Non-UConn recruiting section because she does not appear to be on the Husky brainstrust's radar (at least for now).)

perhaps the poster assumed that UConn should be interested in a great talent like Clark.............unless she clearly stated she had no interest in UConn, they certainly should have communicated their interest a long time ago...........

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
Jaelyn Bates highlights from her games this week on 2/6 and 2/8.

Bates might actually have as pure a shot as Azzi Fudd, and can get it away quicker. Her skill level, IQ, and athleticism are all top shelf.

Just a pure shooter. It’s effortless with no wasted motion. Her head is always up and she sees everything. Like I’ve said previously, she’ll be the best PG coming out of HS her senior year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Second half starting now. SJC leads 29-24.

Madison Scott for McNamara is a LONG 2020. She guards Fudd as well as anyone I’ve seen and she is 6’2”. Unfortunately for McNamara, Azzi took advantage of her sitting on the bench with a tweaked ankle.

SJC won at home by 64-58. Azzi’s team is #2 in the country. McNamara was # 4 nationally before the loss. A big-time match-up.

Reaction Score
Maybe not in her year. Suspect this could be one of the classes that relies on Frosh.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A Bates and Fudd back court could be something to see, maybe like the splash brothers, but the sisters version.
Jaelyn’s shot is deadly, sort of like that distant fictional relative Norman Bates.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just a pure shooter. It’s effortless with no wasted motion. Her head is always up and she sees everything. Like I’ve said previously, she’ll be the best PG coming out of HS her senior year.

I'd be pretty surprised if there's a better prospect at any position in that class.

Reaction Score
perhaps the poster assumed that UConn should be interested in a great talent like Clark...unless she clearly stated she had no interest in UConn, they certainly should have communicated their interest a long time ago......

That article about Clark having not been offered by UConn was from last July. Just saying...

Reaction Score
I'd be pretty surprised if there's a better prospect at any position in that class.
You may be right. I of course haven't seen most of the kids in that class but for impact on a game it would be tough to top a dominant PG. And I love the attitude. No Hollywood act at all, all business.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The aforementioned freshman Shay Bollin:

Freshman jitters?

There have been absolutely none of those for Bollin, who leads B-R in numerous categories, including scoring (17.1 points per game), rebounds (8.3), shooting percentage (47), 3-point shooting (38 percent), 3-pointers made (40), blocked shots (43) and minutes played (365) in addition to being second with 54 steals.

Her high school career began with plenty of hype, and Bollin has delivered only months after graduating from middle school.

“What immediately struck me was here’s a girl with a lot of talent, but it was the way she interacted and integrated herself into this team seamlessly,″ said Seavey. “She doesn’t set herself above anyone else. She’s very humble. She has a tremendous work ethic.

“She’s definitely a rare breed in every aspect, not just emotionally but physically as well. Usually when you get a young lady who is 6-foot-2, it takes time to develop into their body. What you see with Shay is somebody who’s physically mature and emotionally mature as well to be able to handle the pressure of being focused on by the opposition, by being actively recruited by so many collegiate programs.

“She just handles it all with a very calm presence.″

Bollin has already begun weighing her options for college, even with three-plus years of high school remaining.

The perennial top 25 programs have shown interest in her, and Bollin has made some visits to get an early look, but she’s in no rush to make a pick just yet.

“I’m really big on relationships right now and kind of just talking to the different coaches, seeing the different programs,″ said Bollin. “I’m not going to make my decision (now). I’m keeping an open mind kind of for a while now and we’ll just see how it goes throughout the process. I’m enjoying it.

H.S. BASKETBALL: Bridgewater-Raynham's Shay Bollin a freshman sensation

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I not sure UCONN in not interested. It is not impossible for her to play right away at UCONN. Crystal Dangerfield will have graduated leaving Coombs and C. Williams as the only guards on the team.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I believe that's three confirmed players of interest from 2022:

Jaelyn Bates

Shay Bollin

Jennah Isai
So, Sluconn, who would you estimate are UConn's top three targets from the 2020 class and top three from the class of 2021? Others should feel free to voice an opinion...like I could stop you :).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, Sluconn, who would you estimate are UConn's top three targets from the 2020 class and top three from the class of 2021? Others should feel free to voice an opinion...like I could stop you :).
2020: Paige Bueckers, Hailey Van Lith, & Hannah Gusters
2021: Azzi Fudd, Amari DeBerry & TBD :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Angel Reese scored 20 points on Friday (2/8).

Her game today is being streamed live and is just starting the 2nd quarter. You can pull the bar back on the stream and watch from the beginning too. Reese is #10 in gray.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Angel Reese scored 20 points on Friday (2/8).
Her game today is being streamed live and is just starting the 2nd quarter. You can pull the bar back on the stream and watch from the beginning too. Reese is #10 in gray.
I'll try to be kind here but I'm not seeing UCONN recruit caliber play from Reese in this game. In fact I'm seeing more red flags such as like extended disengagement and HORRIBLE body language. On defense her hands spend more time below her waist than actually above her waist and the only time her hands go above her head is to get a rebound.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is a target, but likely not a top-3. She seems likely to be ND, or possibly Stanford.
The three players I mentioned Paige Bueckers, Hailey Van Lith, & Hannah Gusters all have UCONN offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom