2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 44 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes. What about Muffet? Or Tara? Or Dawn? Or Jeff? Or Vic? Or Mulkey? There are more great coaches than just Geno. She can go to ND, get a better education, have just as good a chance at a national championship, get coached by one of the best coaches in the game, and be closer to home. UConn and Geno are not the only game in town anymore. That's our recruiting problem.

1 Just as there are a lot of good coaches, there are a lot of fine universities that teach at the undergraduate level as well as those elitr schools. She won't necessarily get a better education there. What she gets is a post-grad network that takes care of its own. Some people talk like Stanford, Duke, et al have a room somewhere with secret knowledge that is only available to their students. Bull. Students get as much of an education as they work for at hundreds of universities.

2 "just as good a chance at a national championship"

Yeah, if you only consider the last 2 seasons, and even then there were 3 teams in the both of the last 2 FF's. UConn has won 6 of the last 10. Who has done anything close to that? How many straight FF's has UConn been to? Eleven. Count em.

3. How about being coached by the best? I know there are a lot of women who refuse to admit that a male holds that spot but they can spin the facts only so far. Sure, there are a lot of good coaches. But look at the US Olympic team and explain how UConn players dominate? Or are you one of those who thinks it is all just fixed for Geno by the Olympic committee?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/1

Paige Bueckers had a career game in helping Hopkins overcome a 12-pt deficit and defeat unbeaten Wayzata 69-66.

Bueckers scored 43 points and added 4 assists. She was 16-29 from the floor, 4-6 from three, and 7-8 from the foul line.

Reaction Score
2/1

Paige Bueckers had a career game in helping Hopkins overcome a 12-pt deficit and defeat unbeaten Wayzata 69-66.

Bueckers scored 43 points and added 4 assists. She was 16-29 from the floor, 4-6 from three, and 7-8 from the foul line.

I watched the game. Wayzata was the better team, simply based on their work in the paint. They must have scored easy points 8 or 10 times by beating Hopkins down court after what seemed like most every Hopkins basket. Bueckers was great, although even she started out missing a layup or two and missed several open drives. But she had 3 ally-oop baskets and a few 3's from NBA range along with her Sam Jones special from the elbow. She might have had 10 more assists if her team mates could have caught her passes. Without Bueckers' Hopkins would have lost by 25 because her team mates looked like a bunch of scared rabbits. 9th grader Nnazi must have missed a half dozen bunnies and looked like she wanted to be anywhere else.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I watched the game. Wayzata was the better team, simply based on their work in the paint. They must have scored easy points 8 or 10 times by beating Hopkins down court after what seemed like most every Hopkins basket. Bueckers was great, although even she started out missing a layup or two and missed several open drives. But she had 3 ally-oop baskets and a few 3's from NBA range along with her Sam Jones special from the elbow. She might have had 10 more assists if her team mates could have caught her passes. Without Bueckers' Hopkins would have lost by 25 because her team mates looked like a bunch of scared rabbits. 9th grader Nnazi must have missed a half dozen bunnies and looked like she wanted to be anywhere else.

It was an unusual game, played at Wayzata's pace. Bueckers was much more aggressive taking shots and had to be; played every minute too. She was also extremely demonstrative all night; lots of reactions and displays, flexing, three-point hand gestures, etc. She has, shall we say, a lot of street attitude in her game. Course, Taurasi did as well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/27

Nika Muhl: 17 points, 11 assists, 6 steals

1/30

Nika Muhl: 21 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
is UConn watching 2020 guardGenesis Bryant? She has just a bit of MoJeff in her:

krossover

Jasmine Lister watched Bryant and Anaya Boyd, her highly-ranked teammate, play last year. Don't know what if any interest level there is.

Reaction Score
Yes. What about Muffet? Or Tara? Or Dawn? Or Jeff? Or Vic? Or Mulkey? There are more great coaches than just Geno. She can go to ND, get a better education, have just as good a chance at a national championship, get coached by one of the best coaches in the game, and be closer to home. UConn and Geno are not the only game in town anymore. That's our recruiting problem.

Get a better education? That presupposes a number of things. Notre Dame is universally better than UConn, every major, every professor? Every Notre Dame grad has been more successful than every UConn grad? Once and for all, can those who post on this board stop degrading UConn's academics. It's tiresome and untrue.

As for your statement about going to ND and having "just as good a chance at a national championship," let me just respond by noting UConn 11; Notre Dame 2.

Reaction Score
Don't tell the domers' but ND is no Stanford. It's not even Duke or Northwestern. It has a few specific programs that are objectively better than UConn's, most are about the same, and UConn - being much the larger school - has a lot of programs that ND doesn't even have or barely supports. For *most* students, UConn will be as good or better than ND. For *some*, ND will be better - sometimes, much better.

But the follow-up question is, how does the school support their athletes' academic ambitions? UNC supports it by having tutors write papers for them. Michigan did it by inventing worthless majors for them to graduate in. Arizona State is not a particularly prestigious school, but I believe that it has graduated every WBB player since Charli Thorne arrived. At Oregon State, the athletic academic support center is literally across the street from Reser Stadium and Gill Coliseum (and every eligible WBB player has maintained at least a 3-point for several years running now). I am under the impression that UConn provides similar levels of *real* academic support for their WBB players, and that matters so much more than the academic reputation of the school.

Reaction Score
Don't tell the domers' but ND is no Stanford. It's not even Duke or Northwestern. It has a few specific programs that are objectively better than UConn's, most are about the same, and UConn - being much the larger school - has a lot of programs that ND doesn't even have or barely supports. For *most* students, UConn will be as good or better than ND. For *some*, ND will be better - sometimes, much better.

But the follow-up question is, how does the school support their athletes' academic ambitions? UNC supports it by having tutors write papers for them. Michigan did it by inventing worthless majors for them to graduate in. Arizona State is not a particularly prestigious school, but I believe that it has graduated every WBB player since Charli Thorne arrived. At Oregon State, the athletic academic support center is literally across the street from Reser Stadium and Gill Coliseum (and every eligible WBB player has maintained at least a 3-point for several years running now). I am under the impression that UConn provides similar levels of *real* academic support for their WBB players, and that matters so much more than the academic reputation of the school.

UNC and Michigan are prestigious universities no matter what scandal they had. It depends on the kid and their field of study. No offense but having an academic support center does not outweigh the academic reputation of a school. What school does not offer tutoring and other means of assisting student athletes?

Reaction Score

Here's a link to the entire game.
Sport
Really a nip and tuck battle. This is the first time I saw Bueckers just take over the offense and she did quite a job. What I found really impressive was her 3's coming out high off a screen. She took the pass. tuned and shot in one motion, reminding me of how Maya used to do it for UConn (and how KLS "used" to do it when she was good. :rolleyes:.

Reactions: MTC

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here's a link to the entire game.
Sport
Really a nip and tuck battle. This is the first time I saw Bueckers just take over the offense and she did quite a job. What I found really impressive was her 3's coming out high off a screen. She took the pass. tuned and shot in one motion, reminding me of how Maya used to do it for UConn (and how KLS "used" to do it when she was good. :rolleyes:.

One of the many qualities Bueckers has is her ability to play either guard position, on or off the ball. That's why I think she could mix with Van Lith or another hybrid. Not sure how a combination of Bueckers and Muhl would work.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It was an unusual game, played at Wayzata's pace. Bueckers was much more aggressive taking shots and had to be; played every minute too. She was also extremely demonstrative all night; lots of reactions and displays, flexing, three-point hand gestures, etc. She has, shall we say, a lot of street attitude in her game. Course, Taurasi did as well.
Kara Lawson is comparing Paige to Diana. So is Geno.

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
One of the many qualities Bueckers has is her ability to play either guard position, on or off the ball. That's why I think she could mix with Van Lith or another hybrid. Not sure how a combination of Bueckers and Muhl would work.

I'd guess that by the time she gets to college she will be strong enough to play the 3, along with the 2 & 1. Last night none of her team mates did much. At least a dozen blown bunnies, numerous unforced errors and giving up far too many layups the other way right after made baskets.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/31

Shay Bollin had 18 points, 8 boards, and 4 blocks last Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom