2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 46 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So that trip to Warsaw wasn't just for the Pierogi, Milford?

How does UConn find and contact these players? Do the Huskies have an international liaison who assesses eligibility and gauges interest or is that the provenance of the coaching department?

It appears UConn will need one or two international players and/or graduate students to fill its roster next season, right?

there are plenty of international scouting services out there to find the better players................I'm curious if any of the coaches would travel to Europe to see them in person if they see somebody of great interest

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
there are plenty of international scouting services out there to find the better players......I'm curious if any of the coaches would travel to Europe to see them in person if they see somebody of great interest

In his pre-game article on ND vs. Ga. Tech (an ACC team with more than a few international players), Anthony Anderson and talked about Syracuse, who have some 7 international teams on the roster.

"The No. 18-ranked Orange have a conference-leading seven international players among their 14 scholarship individuals overall.

"Those imports include Australian-raised star guard Tiana Mangakahia, a junior who ranks third in the nation in assists, and three of the team’s top four scorers overall.

"According to a report last October on syracuse.com, Orange assistant Adeniyi Amadou was hired by head coach Quentin Hillsman in 2016 to “concentrate solely on international recruiting.”

:It’s apparently working. The Benin-born and Paris-raised Amadou, besides being responsible for landing Mangakahia, has helped Syracuse bring in three signees from France alone over the last two years.

“I think a lot of coaches really prefer to go overseas,” (Coach Muffet) McGraw said. “I think they feel that they’re getting better players than they could get here.”

I believe Coach Amadou is largely based in Paris, so he does not go over...he's there.

Georgia Tech brings diverse roster to challenge ND women

Reaction Score
Yep...it is all over, bleedblue...says that players will ignore the opportunity to play for a Hall of Fame coach and Hall of Fame Associate Coach, a cracker-jack staff, a team that has won 11 National Championships, a fan base that supports its players no matter where they play, a top 5 SOS and RPI schedule every year just because they currently play in the AAC. Truth be told...until Geno leaves kids will continue to come to UConn and Geno will continue to make his out of conference schedule one of the most difficult in the country. In the meantime just like the old Big East the AAC will continue to improve its recruiting and level of play...can't forget how with UConn in the conference the old Big East became the most competitive conference in the country as the other teams in the conference stepped up their game. The old Big East even rose to challenge the high vaulted SEC and ACC.

So true that UConn elevated the Old Big East, but the big difference is the TV game has changed drastically since the concept of the "Power Five" was created and Geno has willingly, for the good of the game, helped a number of his current adversaries build their programs to the point where they've begun to take the best recruits.

We've heard it all. It's the tattoos, he's too demanding for the kids today, and it's the league but, whatever it is, he hasn't been able to get and hold a great class in several years. And he hasn't had a real leader, the dominant player that wills the best from her teammates, since Stewart. He needs a Taurasi, Moore, or Stewart plus five or six willing accomplices and next year looks like it could be a disaster by UConn standards.

If Geno stays long enough to boost the AAC's teams as he did with the Old Big East, we have a chance, but otherwise I'm afraid the doomsayers may be right that the bloom is off the rose. If he can't put together better recruiting classes the next two years than he has the past three it may be impossible to compete at the level all the fans have come to expect, and maybe demand, and who thinks whoever replaces him will be able to achieve anything close to his success while a member of the AAC?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
South Florida has had tons of success with international players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd scored 23 points Sunday (2/3).
Her team beat a quality Paul VI (Ashley Owusu, headed to Maryland) for the second time this year, 54-45. St. John's plays a loaded McNamara on Saturday. They won the prior matchup in 2 OT.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It appears UConn will need one or two international players and/or graduate students to fill its roster next season, right?
I concur. I hope the coaching staff are working on both. Or regular transfers, given that the NCAA now has no standards.

Reaction Score
Paige is not going to UCONN .. Geno once again will lose out on many recruits. As long as UCONN is in the horendus American recruits are going elsewhere. Kids want to be challenged not go into a conference where there going to win everynight buy 40. Sadly UCONN’s dynasty is coming to a end.. everyone is ready to jump over 2 losses , be prepared for next season.,, it’s going to be bad in so many ways.

You people are over dramatic. Yes they missed out on multiple kids this past class, yes next year will probably be a drop off but a great 2020 class can change things in a hurry.

As a neutral fan here, who does love to watch UCONN play, I think many are spoiled and don't know how good they have had it. The run Geno and this program has been on over the years is very unprecedented and not the norm. People would kill just to have an ounce of success that UCONN has even had over the past two decades. UCONN will always have a top 10 team until Geno hangs it up

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Eurobasket website says Nika Muhl is draft eligible in 2023. That would mean her clock starts this coming fall. If she doesn't start playing until 2020 she'd only have to play through her junior year.

Reaction Score
Her team beat a quality Paul VI (Ashley Owusu, headed to Maryland) for the second time this year, 54-45. St. John's plays a loaded McNamara on Saturday. They won the prior matchup in 2 OT.

do you know if Owusu guarded in this game?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
do you know if Owusu guarded in this game?
I don't know. I was out of the country and haven't found a write-up. If I find out, I'll post it.

Edit: They guarded each other in the January 21 game. I found video of that. If I had to guess, I think they guarded each other again yesterday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You people are over dramatic. Yes they missed out on multiple kids this past class, yes next year will probably be a drop off but a great 2020 class can change things in a hurry.

As a neutral fan here, who does love to watch UCONN play, I think many are spoiled and don't know how good they have had it. The run Geno and this program has been on over the years is very unprecedented and not the norm. People would kill just to have an ounce of success that UCONN has even had over the past two decades. UCONN will always have a top 10 team until Geno hangs it up

Yes UConn fans can be a spoiled bunch but we know exactly how good we have had it...........................................and we want some more!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Jatarie White is listed as a senior but she had to sit a year. Astin did a good job getting her to transfer to Austin. Maybe she'd like to find out what it's liked to be coached.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Jatarie White is listed as a senior but she had to sit a year. Astin did a good job getting her to transfer to Austin. Maybe she'd like to find out what it's liked to be coached.
UConn needs someone better than she is, imo.

Reaction Score
We lost Boston who went to dozens of UCONN games... makes u think!!! Haley jones chose Stanford because she wanted to play in a conference that would challenge her every night and have the opportunity to win a national title. If Geno misses out in 20 then we all know the reasons why. Lastly Geno won’t be coaching forever and the recruiting is slipping big time. Signing 2 top recruits isn’t going to get the job done.. look at our bench the last 3 years .. and next year will be a long and bad year. Fans don’t want to face the reality that’s coming and boy it’s coming. If we don’t sign any grad students off season we will have a roster of 8 people. Who’s starting? Who’s coming off the bench.. u see what happens when we go to our bench.. non existence .. to compete at the highest level u need talent and talent coming of the bench that will make a impact .. UCONN doesn’t have it and will sure won’t have it next year. Williams, ono , Walker and dangerfied won’t get the job done with bent , Irwin and Coombs coming off the bench well one of those players will have to start... boutouy that’s if she comes back next year. The off-season is critical or were looking at multiple walkons. Griffin will add athletisim but she will only be a freshmen and we know how that goes in Genos system. Maybe his system worked all these years but it’s no longer working and in today’s world kids and recruiting are different and Geno needs to adapt or our dynasty of a program will falter and falter mighty quick

Funny that you use the phrase "makes you think," when I see precious little of it in your post.

Reaction Score
Paige is not going to UCONN .. Geno once again will lose out on many recruits. As long as UCONN is in the horendus American recruits are going elsewhere. Kids want to be challenged not go into a conference where there going to win everynight buy 40. Sadly UCONN’s dynasty is coming to a end.. everyone is ready to jump over 2 losses , be prepared for next season.,, it’s going to be bad in so many ways.
Where is she (Paige) going? Did she announce something I have missed?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Full video was posted in this BY thread.
Haley Jones to Stanford
That's a snippet from a longer interview. She also had other interviews. Yes, she does mention the Pac-12, which I knew. Before that, she mentions family atmosphere at the Farm. I still don't know where the conference ranked in her decision criteria. It wasn't #1. It may have been #2 or #5. If Haley were living in Kansas City or Worcester, Mass., for example, I think we would have gotten her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some highlights of Azzi from the first part of this season. I like the play where she inbounds the ball with a lob pass to Malu, who tips it to the corner as Azzi makes a cut there to receive the pass and take an open 3-pointer.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's prep athlete-of-the-week:

Prep athletes of the week: Bright lights suit Hopkins' Paige Bueckers just fine

The superstar walked off the court Friday at Hopkins after a one-for-the-ages performance in the biggest game of the season and pointed toward a locker room that she would never reach. Too many fans wanting to share in this special night, with congratulations and high-fives and back pats.

Finally, after a reporter caught up to her, Bueckers turned, smiling, ready to recall a truly scintillating performance.

Already considered among the best girls’ basketball players in Minnesota high school history, the 6-foot junior guard carried the Royals to a 69-66 victory over Wayzata. She scored 43 points, a career high, with an array of pull-up jumpers, three-pointers, drives to the hoop and deadeye free throw shooting. While doing so, she went over the 2,000-point mark for her career, adding to a special evening for a player who has had many of them in her career.

“It was a really big game for me,” said Bueckers, one of the nation’s most highly coveted college recruits. “When the bright lights are on, I try to show out and lead this team."

Which she did. The rest of the Royals struggled against Wayzata’s size and savvy, but Bueckers’ transcendant talent and experience in big games was enough to lift the team to victory.

As Hopkins coach Brian Cosgriff said after the game, “She was Superwoman tonight.”

Reaction Score
9D2B4910-367E-4B6E-B50E-104000E39265.jpeg
2021 6’0 Guard Taylor Bigby flirts with a triple double with The Oregon Ducks on hand. Bigby according to multiple Websites has been offered by the Ducks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom