2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 42 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
It's a matter of how long you hold the follow thru. After the ball has gone thru the net, you don't really need to keep doing it.

My NBA reference, some players absolutely do it for showmanship. Look at me, look at how pretty my shot is. Oh, did I make another 3 pointer?
In some cases, as in bowling, it is a reminder to follow through. I used it with decent success in both bowling and basketball.

Reaction Score
new from Chris Hansen:

Cardosa is a definite game-changer. You can’t teach height but to limit this Chattanooga, Tennessee, native you need to deal with more than just her size. When your listed on the roster at 6 feet 8 inches, the first comparisons will be to Brittney Griner and Teaira McCowan. In terms of fluidity and skill, Cardosa is ahead of both of them at the same age. She showed her strength and touch against the host school, Mercy Academy. She passed well from the high post and out of double teams. With the impact of Griner and McCowan at the college level, look for Cardosa to be one of the most heavily recruited players in the country.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I respect Chris Hansen, but I'm not sure about saying Cardosa will have a Griner impact. That's asking a lot. And if that were the case she'd likely be ranked #1 rather than #10 by his own service.

Reaction Score
I think she is different than Griner, not to mention 3 inches shorter. Maybe not as dominant, but she is pretty smooth for 6’6”.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I respect Chris Hansen, but I'm not sure about saying Cardosa will have a Griner impact. That's asking a lot. And if that were the case she'd likely be ranked #1 rather than #10 by his own service.
Was going to say the exact same thing. Cardosa will not have a Griner type impact. She was not even the best post on her HS team last season.

Reaction Score
Esmery Martinez

don't you think it often takes longer for the big posts to reach their full potential?...................looking back the 6'0" Martinez was rated a three star #90 athlete and the #14 forward by ESPN.............Cardoso is a five star #97 athlete and the #2 post in the 2020 class so obviously they see far more potential going forward...............I assume she's the fall back after Gusters who many would prefer if UConn is convinced they need a second big post.............a good get for sure but not their greatest need I would say............

Reaction Score
I don't know where in N. Carolina you are, but if you're anywhere near Wilmington you should check out Saniya Rivers, a soph. at Laney HS ( M Jordan's HS). I saw her last her as a freshman and she was quite impressive ! Still raw of course but I liked her speed and unselfishness.
I saw her play. She is the best sophomore that I have seen in the state. Teonni Key is a close second though. Key is 6'3 and handles the ball well. Her sister Tamari Key committed to Tennessee.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
don't you think it often takes longer for the big posts to reach their full potential?....looking back the 6'0" Martinez was rated a three star #90 athlete and the #14 forward by ESPN...Cardoso is a five star #97 athlete and the #2 post in the 2020 class so obviously they see far more potential going forward.....I assume she's the fall back after Gusters who many would prefer if UConn is convinced they need a second big post...a good get for sure but not their greatest need I would say..
I'm not sure why you would assume that the only linkage of Cardosa and UCONN was made over on the orange board. I did not reach the conclusion that Martinez was a better post based on the rankings. Her High school team has played in the Dicks ESPN HS tournament post season for the past two years. Martinez has outplayed her in the 4 games that I have seen and it was not close.

Reaction Score
don't you think it often takes longer for the big posts to reach their full potential?....looking back the 6'0" Martinez was rated a three star #90 athlete and the #14 forward by ESPN...Cardoso is a five star #97 athlete and the #2 post in the 2020 class so obviously they see far more potential going forward.....I assume she's the fall back after Gusters who many would prefer if UConn is convinced they need a second big post...a good get for sure but not their greatest need I would say..
They see tons of potential in Martinez too though, Olson even wrote “off-the-charts potential” in at least one of her evals. Martinez would likely be ranked if she was in the US for longer. Vic is getting a big-time sleeper prospect. Sometimes, it is hard to tell the next level impact of a post player. Did anyone think McCowan would be this high impact and likely a top-3 draft pick?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It might've been cancelled or re-scheduled because St John's plays Paul VI tonight.
MaxPreps says the St. Johns v. Paul VI game has been rescheduled to tomorrow, Feb. 1.

Winter weather is wreaking havoc with schedules.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't suppose anyone has a subscription to the Athletic?

So thanks to a Gopher board I got a key excerpt from this article:

“Paige is the closest kid I’ve seen to (Diana) Taurasi, since Taurasi’s been around,” said Kara Lawson, WNBA legend, television analyst and Buecker’s Team USA 3×3 coach. “She’s that good. A lot has to happen in between now and reaching the status of Diana where she’s regarded by a lot of people as the best player ever, but I’ve seen very few players like Paige.”

Bueckers still has a year-and-a-half of her high school career to develop and has an exciting decision ahead. She’s being recruited by top programs like UConn, Maryland and Notre Dame but doesn’t further detail her list other than saying it’s down to “five to 10” schools.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you would assume that the only linkage of Cardosa and UCONN was made over on the orange board. I did not reach the conclusion that Martinez was a better post based on the rankings. Her High school team has played in the Dicks ESPN HS tournament post season for the past two years. Martinez has outplayed her in the 4 games that I have seen and it was not close.

I have absolutely no idea if there is any mutual interest..................Gusters seems to have a skill set more in line with UConn's style of play but if she goes elsewhere and UConn is interested in another dominant post player I would assume that KC would be a logical option...............I don't doubt what you saw, my point was that Hansen must have seen something to come to his opinion about KC, perhaps it's more about potential then about how she's currently playing...........

Reaction Score
They see tons of potential in Martinez too though, Olson even wrote “off-the-charts potential” in at least one of her evals. Martinez would likely be ranked if she was in the US for longer. Vic is getting a big-time sleeper prospect. Sometimes, it is hard to tell the next level impact of a post player. Did anyone think McCowan would be this high impact and likely a top-3 draft pick?

you could very well be right......................Vic seems to be doing a great job finding lesser ranked or lesser known players that fit into his style of play.............it just goes to show that you can field a very competitive team without the benefit top ten talent if you can identify the right kids which has been my contention as it relates to UConn...............

Reaction Score
Taylor Bigby, 6-0 G, Centennial HS (Las Vegas, NV): A Stock Risers Q&A with Bigby notes that she has more than 25 offers but doesn’t list them all. Here’s a more complete list, in chronological order by when the offer was reported: Liberty, Florida A&M, UNLV, Colorado, Utah, Loyola Marymount, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Arizona, Oregon, Georgetown, Georgia, Washington, Southern Cal, Texas Tech, Louisville, Ohio State, and UCLA.
The Q&A also notes that she’s hoping to visit Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State, and Oregon.
What schools have you visited?
I haven’t been to a lot of them. I’ve been to USC, Arizona, UNLV, UCLA.
. . .
Are there any schools you’re hoping to visit?
I’m hoping to visit Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, Louisville.​

Reaction Score
2020 is not exactly a post-heavy class, but UConn needs one. Well they need a lot, but a post should be a priority along with a PG. If we don’t add a post in 2020 or s transfer, by the time ONO is a junior, she will be playing 40 minutes until there is a “5” in the PF column. We simply will have no one else. It wouldn’t be smart for the staff to only recruit Gusters, especially given that she is from Texas, where we haven’t pulled a ton of top talent from (exception MoJeff). I think it is important that we don’t reject every post not named Hannah Gusters, because the second she commits to Baylor or Texas, Cardosa, etc. won’t be a terrible option.

Reaction Score
2020 is not exactly a post-heavy class, but UConn needs one. Well they need a lot, but a post should be a priority along with a PG. If we don’t add a post in 2020 or s transfer, by the time ONO is a junior, she will be playing 40 minutes until there is a “5” in the PF column. We simply will have no one else. It wouldn’t be smart for the staff to only recruit Gusters, especially given that she is from Texas, where we haven’t pulled a ton of top talent from (exception MoJeff). I think it is important that we don’t reject every post not named Hannah Gusters, because the second she commits to Baylor or Texas, Cardosa, etc. won’t be a terrible option.

agreed although if they could recruit a strong rebounding 6'3"+ forward or two that might alleviate the need................also hopefully DeBerry will come in 2021.............

Reaction Score
agreed although if they could recruit a strong rebounding 6'3"+ forward or two that might alleviate the need......also hopefully DeBerry will come in 2021...
I agree. I think Marshall or Daniels could fit that description. Definitely seems like Marshall is an ND/Stanford lean after saying those were the two schools she most definitely wanted to visit.

I get the whole Stanford degree, but Marshall or Daniels will likely ride a lot of pine for quite some time if they choose Stanford. Brink, Belibi, the Hulls, Jones. That is a ton of competition. Not saying I don’t think they could get minutes, but minutes are much more wide open at UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think Marshall or Daniels could fit that description. Definitely seems like Marshall is an ND/Stanford lean after saying those were the two schools she most definitely wanted to visit.

I get the whole Stanford degree, but Marshall or Daniels will likely ride a lot of pine for quite some time if they choose Stanford. Brink, Belibi, the Hulls, Jones. That is a ton of competition. Not saying I don’t think they could get minutes, but minutes are much more wide open at UConn.

BTW regarding post players...................have you looked at the 2021 class? Fewer traditional quality posts then in 2020.................

Reaction Score
BTW regarding post players....have you looked at the 2021 class? Fewer traditional quality posts then in 2020.......
More and more versatile 6’3-6’5 forwards. Lattimore, DeBerry, Hollingshead, and Feagin are among the top 2021 forwards. The question is will there become a time when all of those are “5’s” opposed to the “4’s” they are regarded as now.

UConn has been the first to do this, playing players who were deemend combo-guards and wings at the 5.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think if Marshall comes she won't be as ready as Ono is this season. She will need, it seems to me, a lot of work.

Reaction Score
More and more versatile 6’3-6’5 forwards. Lattimore, DeBerry, Hollingshead, and Feagin are among the top 2021 forwards. The question is will there become a time when all of those are “5’s” opposed to the “4’s” they are regarded as now.

UConn has been the first to do this, playing players who were deemend combo-guards and wings at the 5.

with rare exceptions like when you play Baylor, I think you can get away with it as long as your forwards are at least 6'2" and good rebounders

Reaction Score
I think if Marshall comes she won't be as ready as Ono is this season. She will need, it seems to me, a lot of work.

probably true but it would be a good problem to have.............you would think UConn would be her top choice based on geography and playing time but it appears she has Stanford and Notre Dame as her two favorites.............perhaps UConn can send a reality check her way........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom