2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 40 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Louisville has nothing to do with this.

I hope you were not this way in finding a spouse. Throw out a bunch of offers, and just settle for whoever happened to accept first.

Not sure why you think that is worse than having players you don't really want on your team?? I'll give you it's not ideal. But ideal doesn't happen all that often.

Well International players will most likely be players they are recruiting for the 1st time. And Juco and Grad Transfers are different players than what they might have looked at 2, 3 or 4 years prior.
AND as was demonstrated this past year, they are still NOT going to take anyone they don't really want.

Here's another little tidbit for you and your "we only got 1 recruit" whiny negativity. (that's getting old, real old)

1999-2000 season - 1 Recruit class (KJ) - result? - 36-1 NC
2001-2002 season - 1 Recruit class (AValley) - result? - 39-0 NC
2009-2010 season - 1 Recruit class (Faris) - result? - 39-0 NC
2013-2014 season - 1 Recruit class (Chong) - result? - 40-0 NC

Stick that in your pipe.
How many proven players did those teams have compared to what UConn will have next season? You can say what you want but what Charlie is saying make sense. How many players were on those teams the following year when the one recruit was a freshman? Do you really think UConn has a good chance to win it all next season with the returning eight players and Griffin as the only new recruit?

Reaction Score
Louisville has nothing to do with this.

I hope you were not this way in finding a spouse. Throw out a bunch of offers, and just settle for whoever happened to accept first.

Not sure why you think that is worse than having players you don't really want on your team?? I'll give you it's not ideal. But ideal doesn't happen all that often.

Well International players will most likely be players they are recruiting for the 1st time. And Juco and Grad Transfers are different players than what they might have looked at 2, 3 or 4 years prior.
AND as was demonstrated this past year, they are still NOT going to take anyone they don't really want.

Here's another little tidbit for you and your "we only got 1 recruit" whiny negativity. (that's getting old, real old)

1999-2000 season - 1 Recruit class (KJ) - result? - 36-1 NC
2001-2002 season - 1 Recruit class (AValley) - result? - 39-0 NC
2009-2010 season - 1 Recruit class (Faris) - result? - 39-0 NC
2013-2014 season - 1 Recruit class (Chong) - result? - 40-0 NC

Stick that in your pipe.
Meyers, while I am not in the "sky is falling" group, you are cherry picking your stats. We essentially have one strong Junior, one strong Soph, and to date, one strong Frosh (hopefully ONO will excel in future), and one in the upcoming class. That is 4 consecutive years with light numbers of recruits.

Reaction Score

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
the insults, the anger.......really doesn't suite you......the truth is as clear as day.......you apparently just don't have the capacity to see it....that's OK........life goes on....
[/QUOTE]
It gets old. You apparently don't have the capacity to understand UCONN.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How many proven players did those teams have compared to what UConn will have next season? You can say what you want but what Charlie is saying make sense. How many players were on those teams the following year when the one recruit was a freshman? Do you really think UConn has a good chance to win it all next season with the returning eight players and Griffin as the only new recruit?
Decent chance. They'll most likely be in the mix. You'll have a Sr PG (potential AA), a very strong JR (potential AA), 1 So (eventual AA) who might be able to push the 2nd tier of UCONN greats, and a So with some height. That's a pretty good core. Granted we won't be a favorite. And we won't be deep, unless there is some additions by transfers, Juco, etc.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers, while I am not in the "sky is falling" group, you are cherry picking your stats. We essentially have one strong Junior, one strong Soph, and to date, one strong Frosh (hopefully ONO will excel in future), and one in the upcoming class. That is 4 consecutive years with light numbers of recruits.
You can call it cherry picking, or just call it truth. And after all those 1 person classes UCONN has always pulled at least a 4/5 person class.

4 years? Maybe 2. And one of them was a very good class.
2019 - 1
2018 - 2
2017 - 4
2016 - 3

3/4/3/4 is almost perfect numbers.

MTC

Reaction Score
How exactly does a one member class (which UCONN has had numerous times before) make it sensible to hand out offers Tyler Phommachanh players UCONN is not sold on???? Seems pretty stupid to me.
You make it sound like everything is black and white. Even Geno has said that sometimes he makes a mistake and then is stuck with that player as long as they stay.

Reaction Score
You can call it cherry picking, or just call it truth. And after all those 1 person classes UCONN has always pulled at least a 4/5 person class.

4 years? Maybe 2. And one of them was a very good class.
2019 - 1
2018 - 2
2017 - 4
2016 - 3

3/4/3/4 is almost perfect numbers.
I think one must consider the dramatic increase in competition for recruits from even just 5-10 years ago. The recruits of today don't have to pick between just UConn, Tennessee, and Stanford, so examples from the '90s and '00s may not be as applicable to today's recruiting environment. We are now competing with ND, South Carolina, Louisville, Baylor, and Oregon, for example. Instead of there being a 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 chance of landing a top recuit, it's more like 1 in 5 or worse odds today. Kids have a lot more options, and maybe if you're a top recruit now you know you can stay closer to home, get a good education, maybe not have to deal with Geno the drill sergeant, and still have a decent chance to win a national championship and go on to a nice pro career.

Last edited:

MTC

Reaction Score
I'd be thrilled if UConn got one or two of Bueckers, Van Lith or Gusters who are all in extremely high demand.......I wonder what's the backup plan if they all choose to go elsewhere?
We will have to wait and see. I think Geno will be more prepared than many of our fans.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You make it sound like everything is black and white. Even Geno has said that sometimes he makes a mistake and then is stuck with that player as long as they stay.
It's far from black and white. And that's exactly why they shouldn't be handing out offers to players they aren't sold on. Because as you say even the ones they are sold on don't always work. Of course they could make a mistake the other way, but I don't really think you should base your recruiting efforts on hoping to make a mistake.

MTC

Reaction Score
You certainly have in the past. Maybe the change of heart is because you no longer can???? Hmmm??

How so? Because UCONN didn't get everyone they went after? Then most teams recruiting is a mess most years. You really want to see a mess try 2003.

Was Texas and Baylor's recruiting a mess too?? How about USF? They only brought in 1 player.

[QUOTE="Charliebball, post: 3017036, member: 6831".I am hopeful that UConn makes more then four offers for 2020, otherwise they may be asking you to suit up..
And why do you think they wouldn't?? It's like you just came into this recruiting world the last couple of years and somehow now you're an expert on it. Have you been staying at a Holiday Inn Express lately??[/QUOTE]
Why are you getting nasty? Opinions are like assholes; everyone has one.

Reaction Score
It gets old. You apparently don't have the capacity to understand UCONN.[/QUOTE]

not having the capacity to understand that you need a plan B gets old as does a demeaning attitude...............these discussions always get personal with you few as if you are the ultimate arbiter......................I will add this is the end of the discussion on my part as I don't want this thread shut down over bickering......

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
not having the capacity to understand that you need a plan B gets old as does a demeaning attitude.....these discussions always get personal with you few as if you are the ultimate arbiter.......I will add this is the end of the discussion on my part as I don't want this thread shut down over bickering.
Someone has to up hold the standards for this board and that probably falls to "us few" just like those posters over on the Irish board who did away with you.

Reaction Score
Someone has to up hold the standards for this board and that probably falls to "us few" just like those posters over on the Irish board who did away with you.

all I'll say is "Standards" are in the eyes of the beholder my friend.................if you consider insulting attacks on other posters with differing opinions upholding standards, then yes you are a standard barer of the first order........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
all I'll say is "Standards" are in the eyes of the beholder my friend.......if you consider insulting attacks on other posters with differing opinions upholding standards, then yes you are a standard barer of the first order...
And you an innocent victim of the first order.
1548885725546.png

Reaction Score
I get 90% of my info. from boards like this and at this point this is what i've heard/seen about the 2020's:
#1 Bueckers thinks highly of N.D. Remember that giant leap when they hit the game winner at last year's final 4?
#2 Brink = Stanford
#3 Hailey Van Lith-Thinks highly of Uconn,but also thinks highly of one or more Oregon schools which are much closer to home.
#4-Clark-She is nearly first in her class and i have heard more about her interests in other schools than Uconn.
#5 Reese seems to be a never Uconner. She has a list that does not include Uconn.
#6 and 7 Andrews and Gusters-At this point i have only seen an interest in Texas schools even though Gusters has visited Uconn.
#8Cardoso- Someone on the vol board said that a person at her high school called her a Uconn lean.Talk about hearsay.
#9 Kapinus-She is injured at this time and i haven't seen much about any interest in Uconn.
#10 Poole-For some reason i don't see any indication that Uconn is interested in this New Yorker.
#11 Parrish-Has a list out that does not include Uconn.
#12 Marshall-I have seen more of her interest in N.D. than Uconn and Stanford is probably an option for her.I personally think Uconn could find a way to get her to commit.
#13 Daniels-Another very bright gal with Stanford possibilities,but may be interested in Uconn.
#14 Diamond (in the rough),Johnson A very good point guard but i hope Geno doesn't have to go below #4 to secure a point guard.
Keep in mind that this is an early time in their decision making time and many of them will probably change their mind a dozen times.How long did we absolutely know that Ms.Boston was coming to Uconn until she didn't?
I also think that Geno will eventually get three very talented kids in this class.A lot goes on that none of us hear about for quite some time. He apparently is looking at some people who may move up the ladder as well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Bueckers thinks highly of UConn as well.

Van Lith grew up idolizing UConn.

Reese's latest list includes UConn as a late addition.

Gusters has an offer from UConn and Jasmine Lister follows Andrews' Instagram page.

UConn has shown interest in Daniels and Kapinus as well as Sasha Goforth.

The Czech point guard Nika Muhl has UConn on her final list of five. Presumably she has an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom