2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 39 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Angel Reese had 22 points and 11 rebounds before fouling out again on Saturday (1/26).

MTC

Reaction Score
Hypothetical situation: Say we had 2 positions to fill for the forward (wing) position. What would be wrong with selecting the 3 best recruits and telling them that the first 2 to accept the scholarship offer are on the team. It seems so much better than picking the 2 best and hoping they accept your offer (even it means waiting until all the girls are commited to other teams).
Haley Jones didn’t wait for an offer.
That's my point - it was too late when she committed to Stanford for Uconn to get another quality player. You can't put all your eggs in one basket even if you do offer early and you penalize yourself by offering late.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hypothetical situation: Say we had 2 positions to fill for the forward (wing) position. What would be wrong with selecting the 3 best recruits and telling them that the first 2 to accept the scholarship offer are on the team. It seems so much better than picking the 2 best and hoping they accept your offer (even it means waiting until all the girls are commited to other teams).

There is nothing wrong with this approach, if you are Louisville.

Reaction Score

That's my point - it was too late when she committed to Stanford for Uconn to get another quality player. You can't put all your eggs in one basket even if you do offer early and you penalize yourself by offering late.

you're not going to win that argument with many of the old guard even though it makes sense as illustrated by the one member 2019 class....................hopefully UConn will make more numerous offers for the 2020 class

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
you're not going to win that argument with many of the old guard even though it makes sense as illustrated by the one member 2019 class.....hopefully UConn will make more numerous offers for the 2020 class
How exactly does a one member class (which UCONN has had numerous times before) make it sensible to hand out offers Tyler Phommachanh players UCONN is not sold on???? Seems pretty stupid to me.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1/28

Saylor Poffenbarger had 24 points and 13 rebounds Monday night.

Brooke Demetre scored 19 points last Friday (1/25).

Reaction Score
How exactly does a one member class (which UCONN has had numerous times before) make it sensible to hand out offers Tyler Phommachanh players UCONN is not sold on???? Seems pretty stupid to me.

OK I'll rehash it one more time............................there's sold and there's sold...........................I find it very hard to believe that there were only four players out of the top 100 that were UConn good........................the consequence of such selectivity is that they may only field eight players next season and will have to resort to juco, graduate transfers or international players to supplement the team .................players that they didn't choose to recruit 99% of the time.............................instead, how about making another two or three offers and get a player you know meets at least most of what you're looking for...........................that's not Louisville, not even close..............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK I'll rehash it one more time........there's sold and there's sold.......I find it very hard to believe that there were only four players out of the top 100 that were UConn good....the consequence of such selectivity is that they may only field eight players next season and will have to resort to juco, graduate transfers or international players to supplement the team .......players that they didn't choose to recruit 99% of the time.........instead, how about making another two or three offers and get a player you know meets at least most of what you're looking for.......that's not Louisville, not even close....
Last time you said 11 offers were the minimum.
1548792602082.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK I'll rehash it one more time........there's sold and there's sold.......I find it very hard to believe that there were only four players out of the top 100 that were UConn good....the consequence of such selectivity is that they may only field eight players next season and will have to resort to juco, graduate transfers or international players to supplement the team .......players that they didn't choose to recruit 99% of the time.........instead, how about making another two or three offers and get a player you know meets at least most of what you're looking for.......that's not Louisville, not even close....
Louisville has nothing to do with this.

I hope you were not this way in finding a spouse. Throw out a bunch of offers, and just settle for whoever happened to accept first.

the consequence of such selectivity is that they may only field eight players next season .
Not sure why you think that is worse than having players you don't really want on your team?? I'll give you it's not ideal. But ideal doesn't happen all that often.

will have to resort to juco, graduate transfers or international players to supplement the team .......players that they didn't choose to recruit 99% of the time...
Well International players will most likely be players they are recruiting for the 1st time. And Juco and Grad Transfers are different players than what they might have looked at 2, 3 or 4 years prior.
AND as was demonstrated this past year, they are still NOT going to take anyone they don't really want.

Here's another little tidbit for you and your "we only got 1 recruit" whiny negativity. (that's getting old, real old)

1999-2000 season - 1 Recruit class (KJ) - result? - 36-1 NC
2001-2002 season - 1 Recruit class (AValley) - result? - 39-0 NC
2009-2010 season - 1 Recruit class (Faris) - result? - 39-0 NC
2013-2014 season - 1 Recruit class (Chong) - result? - 40-0 NC

Stick that in your pipe.

Reaction Score

I hope you were not this way in finding a spouse. Throw out a bunch of offers, and just settle for whoever happened to accept first.

Not sure why you think that is worse than having players you don't really want on your team?? I'll give you it's not ideal. But ideal doesn't happen all that often.

Well International players will most likely be players they are recruiting for the 1st time. And Juco and Grad Transfers are different players than what they might have looked at 2, 3 or 4 years prior.
AND as was demonstrated this past year, they are still NOT going to take anyone they don't really want.

Here's another little tidbit for you and your "we only got 1 recruit" whiny negativity. (that's getting old, real old)

Stick that in your pipe.

I feel no need to defend my position.......................I think it's pretty clear to anyone with an open mind that 2019 recruiting was a mess.................I am hopeful that UConn makes more then four offers for 2020, otherwise they may be asking you to suit up............

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I feel no need to defend my position.......
You certainly have in the past. Maybe the change of heart is because you no longer can???? Hmmm??

.I think it's pretty clear to anyone with an open mind that 2019 recruiting was a mess..
How so? Because UCONN didn't get everyone they went after? Then most teams recruiting is a mess most years. You really want to see a mess try 2003.

Was Texas and Baylor's recruiting a mess too?? How about USF? They only brought in 1 player.

[QUOTE="Charliebball, post: 3017036, member: 6831".I am hopeful that UConn makes more then four offers for 2020, otherwise they may be asking you to suit up..[/QUOTE]
And why do you think they wouldn't?? It's like you just came into this recruiting world the last couple of years and somehow now you're an expert on it. Have you been staying at a Holiday Inn Express lately??

Reaction Score

"Rehash it one more time." Promise?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
You certainly have in the past. Maybe the change of heart is because you no longer can???? Hmmm??

the insults, the anger...........................really doesn't suite you..........................the truth is as clear as day...........................you apparently just don't have the capacity to see it........................that's OK.................................life goes on...................[/QUOTE]

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Was Texas and Baylor's recruiting a mess too?? How about USF? They only brought in 1 player.

Topic aside, those teams are all stacked with underclassmen. Texas and Baylor just brought in five-player classes, South Florida a six-player class.

I don't know about the number of targets, but there's little doubt UConn really needs to bring in 7-8 over the next couple years.

Reaction Score
Topic aside, those teams are all stacked with underclassmen. Texas and Baylor just brought in five-player classes, South Florida a six-player class.

I don't know about the number of targets, but there's little doubt UConn really needs to bring in 7-8 over the next couple years.

exactly right Sluconn.................................both those teams have more good players then they know what to do with.....................BTW how many offers do you think UConn will have to make to yield 7-8 recruits?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
exactly right Sluconn........both those teams have more good players then they know what to do with......BTW how many offers do you think UConn will have to make to yield 7-8 recruits?

Well, UConn casts a semi-large net when dealing with younger players (8th & 9th grade) and then reduces that net over the next couple of years. I really don't know how many offers they put out. We know of 3 verified offers for 2020 and interest in somewhere between 9-12 North American players, plus the sudden surge in internationals targets for 2020 and beyond.

Reaction Score

Stick that in your pipe.
That's part of the equation - but what did those teams have in terms of returning productivity ?

Reaction Score
the consequence of such selectivity is that they may only field eight players next season

I for one would like to see Uconn field just eight players next season just to see how most of the fans here react and how the coaching staff handles it.

Reaction Score
I for one would like to see Uconn field just eight players next season just to see how most of the fans here react and how the coaching staff handles it.

the way Geno uses his bench, having eight players doesn't sound terrible, the problem is between fouls and injuries eight can become six or five very quickly..............

Reaction Score
Well, UConn casts a semi-large net when dealing with younger players (8th & 9th grade) and then reduces that net over the next couple of years. I really don't know how many offers they put out. We know of 3 verified offers for 2020 and interest in somewhere between 9-12 North American players, plus the sudden surge in internationals targets for 2020 and beyond.

I'd be thrilled if UConn got one or two of Bueckers, Van Lith or Gusters who are all in extremely high demand......................I wonder what's the backup plan if they all choose to go elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom