2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 43 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
2020 is not exactly a post-heavy class, but UConn needs one. Well they need a lot, but a post should be a priority along with a PG. If we don’t add a post in 2020 or s transfer, by the time ONO is a junior, she will be playing 40 minutes until there is a “5” in the PF column. We simply will have no one else. It wouldn’t be smart for the staff to only recruit Gusters, especially given that she is from Texas, where we haven’t pulled a ton of top talent from (exception MoJeff). I think it is important that we don’t reject every post not named Hannah Gusters, because the second she commits to Baylor or Texas, Cardosa, etc. won’t be a terrible option.
After watching Louisville and Baylor this year, we need more than just a thin, tall center. Many girls now are strong, powerful and hard to move underneath. Hope we are recruiting a Dolson or current version of Tina Charles. Compared to some of Louisville's bigs, at times it looked like the JV team playing the varsity

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
More and more versatile 6’3-6’5 forwards. Lattimore, DeBerry, Hollingshead, and Feagin are among the top 2021 forwards. The question is will there become a time when all of those are “5’s” opposed to the “4’s” they are regarded as now.

UConn has been the first to do this, playing players who were deemend combo-guards and wings at the 5.

Depends on where you want to draw the line among your conferences. I'd modify that slightly to say "among the first." Specifically, Marquette has an entire line-up of those types and all are 1,000-pt. scorers. And as Charlie indicates, they have trouble when going against "twin towers," such as Mississippi State, Miami and ND (who also have a few guards to throw at them).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
More from the previous Athletic article on Paige Bueckers via a friendly source:

Lawson, who led Bueckers and her USA team to the 3×3 gold medal at the 2018 Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires last October, said Bueckers picked up the intricacies of the 3-on-3 game seamlessly with its 12-second shot clock and adjusted strategy. She says Bueckers is the rare combination of both high-level skill and elite basketball intelligence.

“Those few are the legends, right?” Lawson said. “Those are the really, really great players. I don’t say that to put pressure on Paige, I say that to let you know at this stage of her development she’s in a small subset that most players who play the game never come close to.”

Reaction Score
nothing surprises me about Bueckers at this point...................I remember saying last season that she would start on most DI teams as a sophomore in high school...............for her to end up anywhere but UConn would be a tragedy...............

MTC

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity how many top 10 recruits play for Louisville?

Reaction Score
nothing surprises me about Bueckers at this point....I remember saying last season that she would start on most DI teams as a sophomore in high school.....for her to end up anywhere but UConn would be a tragedy.....
Why?

Reaction Score
because she is the perfect player for the UConn system and Geno is the perfect coach to get her to an even higher level.......any questions?
Yes. What about Muffet? Or Tara? Or Dawn? Or Jeff? Or Vic? Or Mulkey? There are more great coaches than just Geno. She can go to ND, get a better education, have just as good a chance at a national championship, get coached by one of the best coaches in the game, and be closer to home. UConn and Geno are not the only game in town anymore. That's our recruiting problem.

Reaction Score
Yes. What about Muffet? Or Tara? Or Dawn? Or Jeff? Or Vic? Or Mulkey? There are more great coaches than just Geno. She can go to ND, get a better education, have just as good a chance at a national championship, get coached by one of the best coaches in the game, and be closer to home. UConn and Geno are not the only game in town anymore. That's our recruiting problem.
Depends on your benchmark. UConn women dominate in the WNBA, Olympics, # NCAA Championships, etc. If you just want a good coach, yes, several out there. If you want a career in basketball the choice narrows down quickly.

Reaction Score
Depends on your benchmark. UConn women dominate in the WNBA, Olympics, # NCAA Championships, etc. If you just want a good coach, yes, several out there. If you want a career in basketball the choice narrows down quickly.
There was a time when the same could be said about TN, except maybe shared the dominance with UConn.

Reaction Score

there's nothing new about any of those excellent coaches................every player has to make the decision that's right for her................I'm sure they would all do a fine job but historically which coach has sent more players to the WNBA and which players are almost always well prepared to play at the next level? Bueckers is one of those once in a decade recruits that thrives on hard work and getting better...............she is not going to choose another school because she can take it easy or because she needs more freedom on the court..............I'm not saying she won't choose to go elsewhere, I think that's quite possible, from my perspective it would just be a real shame to not see her running in the UConn offense, playing that beautiful brand of basketball

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
UConn created the modern universe of basketball players, originally with Tennessee. That rivalry sparked a whole generation of althletic females who wanted to play hoops instead of running track or sports like soccer. It's becoming harder for UConn to pry west coasters and southerners away because they have good choices close to home. I'm not sure the league is quite as much of a hindrance for Geno as it is for the other principal sports, but it might get there if the mystique disappears.

UConn's early success was built on Northeastem kids. It really took Shea Ralph to start the flow of highly ranked players from other regions. I don't know how good a team UConn can turn out by looking more to our roots (not saying don't go after any premier national recruits, just seems like the focus has principally and maybe just been there). Scholarship players like Molly and to a somewhat lesser extent Kyla, are the caliber of some of our historic walk ons. Of course our two frosh were national recruits from other regions.so there isn't yet a distinct pattern. I think Williams will be a force and ONO looks like she will contribute, although she clearly needs to build some muscle and not rush her shots so much. She'd be a good complement to a strong center.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity how many top 10 recruits play for Louisville?
2C91536D-0F7A-4FB1-8FD8-1AABC8292ADA.jpeg

These are the rankings for the 8 Louisville players the played last night, along with the minutes and points.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Paige Bueckers and Hopkins in their big matchup tonight at 7 Central at the following link. Just go down and click on the game at gametime.

School Space Media

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
Coco may not like it but I'm sticking to a NJ theme: we know UConn is interested in Miles but it was Darius who won MVP in their last tournament

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith broke her own school records Thursday (1/31) by scoring 52 points and hitting 12 threes. She added 9 rebounds and 6 assists.

Here are some highlights from a source that says she scored 46 points. Her school says 52, however.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Watching that clip Sluconn, the first thing that comes to mind is what team that is playing Cashmere leaves Hailey Van Lith unguarded? It happened at least twice. Unbelievable. Every coach and player they come up against have to be painfully aware of who she is.

Reaction Score
Jennah Isai attends the same HS as Oregon freshman Taylor Chavez (Valley Vista, AZ). As shown in the video, she plays for the Cal Sparks which also includes 6’6” Kennedy Basham and 6’3” Isuneh Brady, both 2022. Basham attends Pinnacle HS (Sydney Weise alma mater) and Isuneh Brady is ranked #6 by BlueStar. Both Isai and Brady are on the Hoopgurlz 2022 Watchlist.

Also - Hoopgurlz now lists 2022 Lauren Betts as 6’7”. She is ranked #2 by BlueStar, just behind South Carolina’s Ashlyn Watkins who Dawn Staley will be ALL OVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom