Zags Akok Article | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Zags Akok Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
14% is a Thabeet-esque rate. *caveats about aau stat keeping and level of competition.
Thabeet by year:
Freshman: 15.3%
Sophomore: 12.9%
Junior: 11.9%

His blocks went down as he became a better rebounder, but were always insane.

People say that AkAk actually gets credit for fewer blocks than he should though, so I'll accept that numbers credibility. He and Dimon Carrigan have been in a league of their own the past couple years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If you were to adjust this for his position, it would be even higher. Pair him with even an average rim protector at center and you'll be near the top of the country in blocks. Wilson and Bouknight also are above average in Block% for their position.

This makes him such a great fit for Hurley's expected defensive system, and he'd be completely wasted in a 2-3 zone. More than anything else UConn was during the Calhoun year, that we were "Shotblock U" is incontrovertible.

Reaction Score
Thabeet by year:

His blocks went down as he became a better rebounder, but were always insane.

People say that AkAk actually gets credit for fewer blocks than he should though, so I'll accept that numbers credibility. He and Dimon Carrigan have been in a league of their own the past couple years.

Even if he is blocking less, he's still ahead of the rest of his class. Incredibly impressive.

How Hurley wants to use him will be interesting. Because at the 4-spot, he's more likely to be on the perimeter. But 2/3 of our Center prospects are not shot blockers at all.

Akak is a super unique prospect. In the wrong system he will be a nobody. But if used properly his ability to block shots, run, and shoot 3s could be absolutely devastating

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You don’t inspect solid dams, you do inspect dams that had recently broke that may be in danger of re-breaking with flood alerts on the way.
I feel like the the Sept dam burst thing had a good run and we should just move on a new thing. Tremors? Earthquake?

Reaction Score
This makes him such a great fit for Hurley's expected defensive system, and he'd be completely wasted in a 2-3 zone. More than anything else UConn was during the Calhoun year, that we were "Shotblock U" is incontrovertible.

You said it! Calhoun’s Hiskies led the nation in blocked shots for years. God I miss ‘Shotblock U’ so so much! Hurley’s got some great mentors to get us back there tho.

C

Chief00

I feel like the the Sept dam burst thing had a good run and we should just move on a new thing. Tremors? Earthquake?

Someone else had another idea a couple of weeks ago but I can’t remember what and I haven’t heard it mentioned since?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Seriously? You don't see it? This place? This is their source for information? They are reporters. They have an actual channel to the SID. And not only are they using THIS PLACE for information but then they harass the kid and his coach. And you don't see anything ridiculous about that?
That’s what is ridiculous. They put the kid on the spot and make the coaches and program look bad instead of just letting delusional fans talk nonsense on a message board.

Guy's it's literally their job.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thabeet by year:
His blocks went down as he became a better rebounder, but were always insane..

That and opponents just stopped taking the ball inside.

Tho I forget if block % ignores long twos. Maybe number of opponents 3s increased? Dunno

Reaction Score
tenor.gif

Reaction Score
That and opponents just stopped taking the ball inside.

Tho I forget if block % ignores long twos. Maybe number of opponents 3s increased? Dunno

Doesn't ignore long 2's. It's all 2 point shots in college, I believe. I think the NBA may account for long 2's.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
You're trying too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32