WTIC1080 no longer broadcasting UConn games? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WTIC1080 no longer broadcasting UConn games?

Reaction Score
Very interesting read, touches on Joe D/Bob Joyce, UConn wanting more sports talk shows, and politics of the station.

WTIC-AM says UConn wanted to change station's politics

“It wasn’t about the money.”...

DB92EA84-EDAC-45CC-B0BE-433BE99BEBF1.jpeg

Reaction Score
Everyone keeps saying that the value of college sports is in marketing the school.

And if sports are the school's "front porch" then of course the school will be concerned with the tenor of the station it "markets" itself on.

After a UConn broadcast, you're talking about how horrible higher education is, then naturally no one would want to go with a partner who defames their product. Coca-Cola doesn't partner with media partners who warn people against drinking soda.

As for Phil Zachary and his P5 shot at UConn, this joke actually pointed to WEEI as a good example of what he wants!! The worst station in Boston that constantly has its people being suspended!!

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
And, that's as credible as WTIC owner/Entercom rep Phil Zachary stating "It's not a blow ..." (to WTIC).

Phil Zachary better start worrying about what's going on at WEEI. Losing sponsors left and right, Brady may not do interviews anymore, and Red Sox seem to be thinking of severing their partnership

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was pretty classy the way that assclown threw shade at a longtime partner.

If some dopey athletic director and president tried to influence my programming I would have been a lot worse. I’d have every on air personality destroying them.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
If some dopey athletic director and president tried to influence my programming I would have been a lot worse. I’d have every on air personality destroying them.
WTIC’s on-air personalities are either irrelevant local cranks who no one listens to, or syndicated right wing propagandists who probably aren’t too concerned about local dealings in the Hartford market. I think the admin is safe.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
WTIC’s on-air personalities are either irrelevant local cranks who no one listens to, or syndicated right wing propagandists who probably aren’t too concerned about local dealings in the Hartford market. I think the admin is safe.

Doesn’t really align with what they tried to do then does it?

This is a little dated but the idea nobody listens is ridiculous:

Among the morning programs, in overall ratings, WTIC’s Ray Dunaway and Diane Smith attained a 17.2 rating. WRCH was second with an 8.8 share. WTIC-FM was third with an 8.4 share, followed by WWYZ and WKSS. WCCC-FM gained a half-point to finish sixth with a 6.4 share.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Doesn’t really align with what they tried to do then does it?

This is a little dated but the idea nobody listens is ridiculous:

Among the morning programs, in overall ratings, WTIC’s Ray Dunaway and Diane Smith attained a 17.2 rating. WRCH was second with an 8.8 share. WTIC-FM was third with an 8.4 share, followed by WWYZ and WKSS. WCCC-FM gained a half-point to finish sixth with a 6.4 share.
Fair enough, there are probably a bunch of elderly people who listen to Ray Dunaway drone on while they are gardening. I can’t be bothered to google his listener demographic, so here’s where you come back telling me he is on fire with 18-35 year olds.

Either way business is business, and the University wanted to stay with a long term partner while not being associated with reactionary rhetoric. They asked and Entercom said no. I’d be surprised if there are grudges held over this.

Reaction Score
honestly it sounds like we didn't really want to be on WTIC anymore. It looks like we said hey if you change x,y,z then sure we'll sign another contract

Siv

Reaction Score
Diane Smith hasn't been on the Morning drive show for about 10 years, so its safe to say the ratings are a little dated

Reaction Score
Diane Smith hasn't been on the Morning drive show for about 10 years, so its safe to say the ratings are a little dated

Yup - Rode out on the same pink slip horse as Colin McEnroe...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

That number is from the end of 2015.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fair enough, there are probably a bunch of elderly people who listen to Ray Dunaway drone on while they are gardening. I can’t be bothered to google his listener demographic, so here’s where you come back telling me he is on fire with 18-35 year olds.

Either way business is business, and the University wanted to stay with a long term partner while not being associated with reactionary rhetoric. They asked and Entercom said no. I’d be surprised if there are grudges held over this.

I'm sure the demos are terrible and the station's overall rating keeps dropping. Right wing crazy talk is the only thing that keeps the lights on for the AM dial.

I don't know who is listening to terrestrial radio at all - everytime I mistakenly land on it in my car it's jarring.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
2015 story, quoting 2001 ratings

You are right - my bad - I didn't realize everything after that sentence was from 2001.

I'm all for getting off the station and going to iheart - I just find it humorous that our inept leadership is arrogant enough to think they can dictate coverage.

You can see how much I listen to/watch the local stuff. I'm not even totally sure who Diane Smith is. Was she on the Channel 8 news at one point?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're taking the word of a guy throwing shade at UConn.

They have every right to request coaches talk shows and the like.

Good for them.

A: That’s not what they are talking about and you know it

B: I’m not going off that article. A little birdie shared before the article even was published.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In case you were wondering just how arrogant and clueless the administration is - this helps answer that question.

It’s plain dopey to stake out a position based on the comments of some corporate flunky.

Those radio peeps are pretty salty about this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It’s plain dopey to stake out a position based on the comments of some corporate flunky.

Good thing I’m not!

I can promise you the story is true.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I can also tell you that Jacobs’ Hail Mary for Joe D was thrown for a reason.

Reaction Score
That the administration might want the flagship station of UCONN sports to spend its non-sports time being friendlier to the school and the administration isn't completely crazy. Might be a lot to ask of a right-wing talker, but not completely unreasonable. That the administration might rather have their sports on a sports station so as to avoid these sorts of conflicts doesn't seem crazy either.

The claim that the school wanted to "influence programming"? I'm not sure what that means, but that's a very vague term. My bet is the reality is far less nefarious than the implication.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That the administration might want the flagship station of UCONN sports to spend its non-sports time being friendlier to the school and the administration isn't completely crazy. Might be a lot to ask of a right-wing talker, but not completely unreasonable. That the administration might rather have their sports on a sports station so as to avoid these sorts of conflicts doesn't seem crazy either.

The claim that the school wanted to "influence programming"? I'm not sure what that means, but that's a very vague term. My bet is the reality is far less nefarious than the implication.

It’s 100% reasonable to not want to be on an extremely right-wing station. Preferable even.

Other than they have been on the station for a long time there really isn’t any impact.

All types of schools and franchises bounce around the dial constantly. It’s not a big deal.

Reaction Score
It’s 100% reasonable to not want to be on an extremely right-wing station. Preferable even.

Other than they have been on the station for a long time there really isn’t any impact.

All types of schools and franchises bounce around the dial constantly. It’s not a big deal.

Exactly. And it is less about the station being right-wing in general. Hannity and Rush don't take shots at UCONN. But the local guys did - and that's not the best way to engender a partnership. Being at odds with your media partner doesn't make for a great partnership.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom