WTIC1080 no longer broadcasting UConn games? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

WTIC1080 no longer broadcasting UConn games?

Reaction Score
A: That’s not what they are talking about and you know it

B: I’m not going off that article. A little birdie shared before the article even was published.

I read they wanted coaches shows.

You're telling me they told them to change their political shows? Really?

You believe that.

They might have cited it as a reason they're leaving. I know I would have. But they were not telling them that.

You're gullible if you believe so.

A lot of people don't want to do business with WEEI, I can tell you that. It's not a mystery up in Boston, it is pretty well known. The fact that this guy would even cite WEEI as a good direction for WTIC tells me all I need to know.

Reaction Score
That the administration might want the flagship station of UCONN sports to spend its non-sports time being friendlier to the school and the administration isn't completely crazy. Might be a lot to ask of a right-wing talker, but not completely unreasonable. That the administration might rather have their sports on a sports station so as to avoid these sorts of conflicts doesn't seem crazy either.

The claim that the school wanted to "influence programming"? I'm not sure what that means, but that's a very vague term. My bet is the reality is far less nefarious than the implication.

Exactly. They did want to change programming, with coaches shows. The politics were probably one of the many reasons they left.

Reaction Score
Exactly. They did want to change programming, with coaches shows. The politics were probably one of the many reasons they left.
yeah those are my thoughts as well. WTIC probably asked if there was anything they can do to retain the programming and we probably mentioned the political content. I hope that's how it went, anyway. If it was on a "list of demands" before we found another suitor then that's just typical UConn stupidity.

Reaction Score
If some dopey athletic director and president tried to influence my programming I would have been a lot worse. I’d have every on air personality destroying them.

WTIC AM is an echo chamber for limp dick mofo's from 6AM till 6PM.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I read they wanted coaches shows.

You're telling me they told them to change their political shows? Really?

You believe that.

They might have cited it as a reason they're leaving. I know I would have. But they were not telling them that.

You're gullible if you believe so.

A lot of people don't want to do business with WEEI, I can tell you that. It's not a mystery up in Boston, it is pretty well known. The fact that this guy would even cite WEEI as a good direction for WTIC tells me all I need to know.

They had coaches shows. What in the world are you talking about.

Yes, I believe that. Yes, I am right. You are gullible for not believing it.

They don’t get sports. They don’t seem to get anything about it.

This is probably a good thing to get to iheart - but they are beyond clueless.

Siv

Reaction Score
Diane Smith was on channel 8.
I used to listen to Ray Dunaway in the morning, but over the years he seemed to take on the personality of the rest of their programming which isn't my cup of tea.
Really hoping that ESPN builds out a more significant Uconn pressence over and above just on game days.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is an odd hill to die on tonight @whaler11. What's the handle-o-meter reading on your Captain Morgan?

Stone sober. I know - sucks.

I'm not dying on any hill. I even think going to iheart is a good thing.

If there are people who haven't figured out that the administration and athletic department don't get it, I don't know how to help them along.

Why would you anyone believe the Entercom guy is lying? Because he's upset they went to iheart? So he made that part up?

The most arrogant and clueless thing they could do is what he said they did. Since they are arrogant and clueless - maybe he's telling the truth....

He is.

Reaction Score
They had coaches shows. What in the world are you talking about.

Yes, I believe that. Yes, I am right. You are gullible for not believing it.

They don’t get sports. They don’t seem to get anything about it.

This is probably a good thing to get to iheart - but they are beyond clueless.

Then why is the WTIC saying they won't get those UConn shows that they requested if they already have them?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Stone sober. I know - sucks.

I'm not dying on any hill. I even think going to iheart is a good thing.

If there are people who haven't figured out that the administration and athletic department don't get it, I don't know how to help them along.

Why would you anyone believe the Entercom guy is lying? Because he's upset they went to iheart? So he made that part up?

The most arrogant and clueless thing they could do is what he said they did. Since they are arrogant and clueless - maybe he's telling the truth....

He is.
I just started drinking. I suggest you do, too.

The administration has been far from a model competence when it comes to athletics and I don't know enough of the recent era details to know where the blame lies. I have always had the sense, perhaps inaccurately, that the president defers considerably to the AD to run athletics. The goober before Herbst, Hogan, seemed even more out of touch to me, and when I met him briefly it confirmed that sense.

Herbst got rid of Hathaway, who imo remains the most responsible for our crappy conference predicament because he squandered the greatest window of opportunity for us at a time when he knew--as did his predecessors--that the landscape was changing rapidly and we needed to be proactive or be left behind. He blew it.

Herbst hired Manuel, who inherited a mess, and he did little to help--and actually seems to have made matters worse--before beating a path out of Dodge. Then she hired Benedict, who also inherited a mess, and I guess the best we can say is that the jury is still out on him but the early returns don't look good. His legacy imo will be defined in large part by how he handles getting Ollie out and getting the the flagship sports program of our state flagship university back on track. And, I guess, hers pretty much hangs in the balance on that, too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Then why is the WTIC saying they won't get those UConn shows that they requested if they already have them?

I don’t have any idea what in the hell you are talking about but there are coach’s shows on WTIC.

Edsall was weekly. Geno is weekly. Cav looks biweekly. I don’t see Ollie’s schedule right now but their website sucks and he’s probably in hiding but there are links to recent shows in threads here.

2/16 Geno 6-6:45
2/23 Geno 6-7
2/27 Cav 6-7

Not only do they do them - you can go watch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I just started drinking. I suggest you do, too.

The administration has been far from a model competence when it comes to athletics and I don't know enough of the recent era details to know where the blame lies. I have always had the sense, perhaps inaccurately, that the president defers considerably to the AD to run athletics. The goober before Herbst, Hogan, seemed even more out of touch to me, and when I met him briefly it confirmed that sense.

Herbst got rid of Hathaway, who imo remains the most responsible for our crappy conference predicament because he squandered the greatest window of opportunity for us at a time when he knew--as did his predecessors--that the landscape was changing rapidly and we needed to be proactive or be left behind. He blew it.

Herbst hired Manuel, who inherited a mess, and he did little to help--and actually seems to have made matters worse--before beating a path out of Dodge. Then she hired Benedict, who also inherited a mess, and I guess the best we can say is that the jury is still out on him but the early returns don't look good. His legacy imo will be defined in large part by how he handles getting Ollie out and getting the the flagship sports program of our state flagship university back on track. And, I guess, hers pretty much hangs in the balance on that, too.

Would love to have them all prove me wrong.

Herbst is so bad with respect to sports that I believe she wants to deemphasize them.

Otherwise it’s a level of incompetence that is stunning.

I don’t care about US News or freshman SAT scores. As a taxpayer and resident I’m growing tired of funding a University to educate kids that leave after graduation.

It’s a lot easier to look the other way on that when the teams don’t suck.

Reaction Score
I don’t have any idea what in the hell you are talking about but there are coach’s shows on WTIC.

Edsall was weekly. Geno is weekly. Cav looks biweekly. I don’t see Ollie’s schedule right now but their website sucks and he’s probably in hiding but there are links to recent shows in threads here.

2/16 Geno 6-6:45
2/23 Geno 6-7
2/27 Cav 6-7

Not only do they do them - you can go watch.

It says they asked for shows right in the article!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It says they asked for shows right in the article!

Ok buddy. They have shows. You can go to Buffalo Wild Wings and watch.

Maybe they forgot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't know who is listening to terrestrial radio at all - everytime I mistakenly land on it in my car it's jarring.

I was on vacation last week without Sirius. I found one station I could handle listening to. Swear to god, every time we got in the car that station was in commercial. It became a running gag.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If some dopey athletic director and president tried to influence my programming I would have been a lot worse. I’d have every on air personality destroying them.
I'm just asking, are you sure that was a real demand? And even if it was, wasn't it in private? Did they really deserve the hammer?

Reaction Score
I'm just asking, are you sure that was a real demand? And even if it was, wasn't it in private? Did they really deserve the hammer?

It isn’t like someone is going to go all Wikileaks here. They can say whatever they want. Only a handful of people would actually know one way or the other.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I imagine yes. So what. What does deserve have to do with anything.

If the AD and President of some AAC outfit that can’t win a game came and tried to tell me my business... why not put them in their place.

Reaction Score
JoeD says that 1080 is done with UConn games after this season.

Anyone know why or where the games are going?
JoeD says that 1080 is done with UConn games after this season.

Anyone know why or where the games are going?

Ask Whaler. He knows everything.

Reaction Score
I imagine yes. So what.
And, if few if not none of us actually have all of the facts at such a premature point? And, many to most individuals may potentially be speculating or inexplicably drawing conclusions based on unsubstantiated third-party comments, purported facts supporting one or the other party, only bits or pieces of the full story? Time may tell ...

Reaction Score
If UCONN had an issue with the lunatic fringe hate radio lineup run by TIC I take my hat off to them even if it’s a small part of their decision. As far as their ratings go it’s one of the few stations that even tunes in on AM. There are about 3 slots and 2 if them are static so if you are on the AM band you are likely to land there. . The highest quality thing they run is their weather report and the best one can say about that is it’s frequent. The station is an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
WTIC is the cigarette vending machine of radio stations: at one time it was very useful, but now no one is buying what they're selling so its basically useless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom