WTIC1080 no longer broadcasting UConn games? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

WTIC1080 no longer broadcasting UConn games?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ask Whaler. He knows everything.

Go ahead and take shots at me. I don’t worship at the altar of SuzieLax.

Just like everyone got there on Diaco and most have gotten there on Ollie - someday most will figure this one out too.

At least the handful of people left that is.

Reaction Score
Go ahead and take shots at me. I don’t worship at the altar of SuzieLax.

Just like everyone got there on Diaco and most have gotten there on Ollie - someday most will figure this one out too.

At least the handful of people left that is.
Why Susielax?

Reaction Score
I’m not going to argue that she was the best choice for all things athletics (by the way she would probably agree) but that is only part of the job. I’m in her camp.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m not going to argue that she was the best choice for all things athletics (by the way she would probably agree) but that is only part of the job. I’m in her camp.

I’m only talking about athletics. Those that weigh her other responsibilities differently will not come to the same conclusions I do.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Assuming that iHeart & IMG will make streaming easily accessed (pops up in relevant search terms, small number of clicks / taps to get to the stream), I think this will be a win long-term. Losing JoeD will be significant but moreso for the older segments of the fan base. Moving to FM and streaming is geared towards the 18-35 demo.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Also.

How has nobody on this thread commented on "Steve Honeycomb of iHeart"????? Y'all slippin, Boneyard.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Stone sober. I know - sucks.

I'm not dying on any hill. I even think going to iheart is a good thing.

If there are people who haven't figured out that the administration and athletic department don't get it, I don't know how to help them along.

Why would you anyone believe the Entercom guy is lying? Because he's upset they went to iheart? So he made that part up?

The most arrogant and clueless thing they could do is what he said they did. Since they are arrogant and clueless - maybe he's telling the truth....

He is.

...or the guy who is affiliated with, and cites as an example, a radio station who routinely says stupid and outlandish things to their detriment did the same thing.

Reaction Score
If UCONN had an issue with the lunatic fringe hate radio lineup run by TIC I take my hat off to them even if it’s a small part of their decision. As far as their ratings go it’s one of the few stations that even tunes in on AM. There are about 3 slots and 2 if them are static so if you are on the AM band you are likely to land there. . The highest quality thing they run is their weather report and the best one can say about that is it’s frequent. The station is an embarrassment.

Haha. You actually listen to the crap station you complain about. Who the hell searches the AM dial in 2018?

C

Chief00

I read they wanted coaches shows.

You're telling me they told them to change their political shows? Really?

You believe that.

They might have cited it as a reason they're leaving. I know I would have. But they were not telling them that.

You're gullible if you believe so.

A lot of people don't want to do business with WEEI, I can tell you that. It's not a mystery up in Boston, it is pretty well known. The fact that this guy would even cite WEEI as a good direction for WTIC tells me all I need to know.

You can’t let your personal political views interfere with business. Another Suzy Herbst Crazy moment. It’s becoming clear the chatter I was hearing from other schools was even more true than I thought - Herbst is not popular amongst her peer group and ultimately that was the breaking point with achieving P5. We won’t get there until she leaves, I am convinced about that. Too many Presidents dislike her.

Reaction Score
You can’t let your personal political views interfere with business. Another Suzy Herbst Crazy moment. It’s becoming clear the chatter I was hearing from other schools was even more true than I thought - Herbst is not popular amongst her peer group and ultimately that was the breaking point with achieving P5. We won’t get there until she leaves, I am convinced about that. Too many Presidents dislike her.

Few left of center presidents out there?

Reaction Score
Haha. You actually listen to the crap station you complain about. Who the hell searches the AM dial in 2018?
To check weather report yup but not for any shows. Vicevich and Rush, who could listen to that. I listen to 880 and 660 now and then from NY, do you have a problem with that?

Reaction Score

Well for me, it is preset button # 1 in my truck, on the AM band. My other radios (home/garage/barn) are dials.....

AM1080 has further reach than 97.9....that is fact. I can listen to them beyond Deerfield, Mass during the day and into the White Mountains of NH or as far as Maryland/PA border at night with a Chevy truck radio. I highly doubt 97.9 has that far of reach.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I turned on the second half on the way home and ended up turning it off. All the Joe D shouting after every made basket by either team, along with echoing bass due to the odd factory setup, made it maddening to listen to. There is nothing more over rated in CT than Joe D calling a basketball game.

Reaction Score
Which works if you have a cell phone.....but, not all of us have cell phone....LOL
Potentially, one more reason for people, young and not so much alike, to consider buy a used or new phone, ipad, etc.

Reaction Score
Potentially, one more reason for people, young and not so much alike, to consider buy a used or new phone, ipad, etc.

As for buying a phone, ipad, etc (even used), why? I have survived for this many decades without one, why do I want another bill to pay?

That's impressive. Does the 15 in bob15 stand for 1915?

LOL

No, the 15 is/was the number of my favorite NY Yankee.....Thurman Munson.

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs: UConn, WTIC split could turn ugly

>>Zachary made a point that it wasn’t about the money. It was, in fact, the lead of the JI article.

According to UConn officials, however, the 10-year, multi-million dollar deal with iHeart is for more money and for more years than what Entercom/WTIC offered. In the negotiations, iHeart stepped up its bid with IMG. It had to in order to knock out the incumbent.<<

Reaction Score
I turned on the second half on the way home and ended up turning it off. All the Joe D shouting after every made basket by either team, along with echoing bass due to the odd factory setup, made it maddening to listen to. There is nothing more over rated in CT than Joe D calling a basketball game.
I agree to an extent. I think he’s fine, but not this incredible announcer that a lot of people make him out to be.

Reaction Score
Just when I think you can't get any ...ugh never mind. More money, broader reach, better aligned with the goals of the AD. This is a great deal for a program with waning interest. And don't believe any of that political BS from Entercom. Bitter girlfriends always have bad things to say when they get 'better dealed'.

Reaction Score
It’s plain dopey to stake out a position based on the comments of some corporate flunky.

Those radio peeps are pretty salty about this.

That's what I'm getting out of this. If you made a "business decision", you make the decision, shut up about it, and move on. If you're butthurt, you keep talking . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom