Wow. Kevin Ollie. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wow. Kevin Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
A while ago I wouldn't have entertained this idea, but Ollie's continued lethargy makes me wonder if something to do with his divorce has him bummed out/disinterested in basketball. Not trying to comment on his personal life really or make any judgments about the guy, but you just have to wonder if his mind is on other things than basketball.

Reaction Score
I dont get it. Gibbs can shoot. Purvis can shoot. Adams can drive. Dham has handle and probably low post game. We have a handful of bigs with at least a move. Yet, We cant effectively drive. We cant get the ball down low. Very frustrating.

Anybody with 2 arms can shoot a basketball

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The divorce may have a lot to do with it.

Whoops. I literally posted the same thing right after you guys....didn't have a chance to see new posts while I was writing mine. My bad!

Reaction Score
I dont get it. Gibbs can shoot. Purvis can shoot. Adams can drive. Dham has handle and probably low post game. We have a handful of bigs with at least a move. Yet, We cant effectively drive. We cant get the ball down low. Very frustrating.
I'm no coach but when I played it was easy to take outside shots (even contested). To consistently get the ball down low took skill and some design plays. Defenses seem to be defending the post and baiting our guards to shoot jumpers. History is proving that we can't make them all game and with patience we will become ineffective/impotent offensively. I will say Brimah did help in this area, even if only alley oops.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ollie's team doesn't play hard and they don't play smart. That's become the hallmark over the past two years.

Sometimes they play hard, but certainly not consistently. Definitely don't play smart. Hard to enjoy watching.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've ever seen a guy coach a worse game while getting a paycheck from UConn and I've seen Paul Pasqualoni in action. The final ten minutes of this game were pure malpractice - and the first thirty minutes were no prize either.

He's making $3,000,000 a year and he's not doing the work.

Someone will try to put to the upside or pitch a you're-all-bad-fans tantrum, but the team is on the wrong track these days - Ollie's team doesn't play hard and they don't play smart. That's become the hallmark over the past two years.
Funny thing he was a lot more exuberant coach his first two years even getting a technical in the Louisville game. Something has changed in his demeanor were he just stays silent and mutters to himself in frustration all the time. He even calls timeouts at the worst times. I mean what is the point of the late TO's today or the game against Memphis. Even doesn't know to use his extra fouls like the Temple game. Just awful coaching from Ollie this year. I thought it couldn't get worst from last year. LOL!

Reaction Score
Elmore said he is super positive, seemingly congratulating them for mistakes.

This team needs a kick in the arse, if there ever was one but Ollie has on slippers. Hell play the walkons but send a fuking message!
One thing about Ollie is that hes big into the positive reinforcement. We dont really get to see what happens behind closed doors in practice, but Calhoun was a lot more tough on his players during games compared to Ollie. Sometimes I thought he may have gone slightly overboard, but at the same time, sometimes you need to do that. With Calhoun, he was never scared to take a player out of a game for making a mistake, or getting in somebodys face to make a point.

Did we go undefeated every year under JC? No, obviously not. Every leadership style is unique and theres not just one way to run a team. Im not ready to give up on Ollie by any means, but back to back NIT appearances coming off a National Championship is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
No one calling for KO's head. I am one of his biggest supporters on the BY or anywhere love the guy. But if he doesn't check out a mirror soon I'm not sure we will turn this thing this year. Actually pretty sure we have no shot to do so.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I can't read this whole thread, so sorry if it's repetitive. I'm trying not to use hindsight, but Manuel was put in the practical position of having to hire KO when the program needed the benefit of a national search and we were still in the BE at the time. We all love KO. But two things came together that gave him a pass against what has been a constant lack of consistency on both sides of the court. The first pass was we weren't tourney eligible and we were not horrible. The second was winning the NC despite a very inconsistent year, masked by Brimah's heroics in game one or else there were no achievements in his favor. Granted, the team played well the rest of the tournament, especially on D and Napier was heroic. But the inconsistency has been the overall feature.

I can't understand how a team with almost every bench coach having been a guard and a head coach can be so awful on O and no clue how to attack a zone. Pointing out his lack of activity on the bench misses the main point. Jim Calhoun lived off of his strong personality and his team rarely played beautiful basketball. Having one of his people come in to a system that no longer had his intensity and then didn't have smart execution is showing up. Obviously I want KO to succeed, but UConn's success comes first. Now we are a mediocre team in a mediocre league. If KO can't at least keep us near the top of the league, and he isn't retained after the next year or so, a national search probably won't get the ready quality possible after JC left and the bloom will be off our attractiveness as a program. I hope the ship gets righted so we don't get into that situation.

Reaction Score
I have heard some things from players deep on the bench over the last two years that were surprising to me but could play a role in what you mention. I won't air it out in a public forum but if you want to know send me PM.
This is scary, do you even know these walk ons?

Reaction Score
I have heard some things from players deep on the bench over the last two years that were surprising to me but could play a role in what you mention. I won't air it out in a public forum but if you want to know send me PM.
I'm sure you are referring to his divorce? As that seems to coincide with downward spiral of emotion and zest for the game.

Reaction Score
We just don't have any inside game and that makes us easy to defend. Disagree with those who say this team doesn't play hard. They play plenty hard enough but too often they get stuck on the perimeter and launching 3's. We win this game if Hamilton drives more and puts up his floaters in the lane instead of launching outside shots. Also Rodney is still inconsistent and Adams is playing tentative.
We may look terrible but we are early in the conference schedule and there is still plenty of time. One more thing: Ollie has to get off his rear and coach like he did in the championship season. Remember when he would actually get in a defensive stance and run up and down the sideline? Sitting on the bench with the whining look doesn't look encouraging.

We were the same way in 2011 and 2014. No big men but great guards and we still won the NC. The problem with this team is there's no leader.

Reaction Score
I can't understand why Ollie is always just sitting in his chair. Haith, for example, was standing and engaged in the game the whole time. Ollie just sits there with that befuddled look, and doesn't have nearly the same fire I remember from a couple years ago. This team is beyond frustrating to watch.

In fairness, Haith was standing because he sold his chair for cash.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The pick and roll offense doesn't work against a zone. We look lost against a zone, and we don't up tempo (taking the ball to the hoop, not hoist 3's) to take advantage of our athleticism. Not pressing either in order to get turnovers and get into transition. It is ugly and the players look lost.

time to press, speed up the game and go to the basket!!

Reaction Score
This one of those "bumpable" threads. I hate how the team played vs Tulsa but calling for kos head ? Yeah sure fishy. This is a process, do people not realize our defensive anchor is injured ? Yeah let's fire Ollie lmao

Hello our defense was fine tonight, it's the offense that looks absolutely horrendous.

Reaction Score
I can't read this whole thread, so sorry if it's repetitive. I'm trying not to use hindsight, but Manuel was put in the practical position of having to hire KO when the program needed the benefit of a national search and we were still in the BE at the time. We all love KO. But two things came together that gave him a pass against what has been a constant lack of consistency on both sides of the court. The first pass was we weren't tourney eligible and we were not horrible. The second was winning the NC despite a very inconsistent year, masked by Brimah's heroics in game one or else there were no achievements in his favor. Granted, the team played well the rest of the tournament, especially on D and Napier was heroic. But the inconsistency has been the overall feature.

I can't understand how a team with almost every bench coach having been a guard and a head coach can be so awful on O and no clue how to attack a zone. Pointing out his lack of activity on the bench misses the main point. Jim Calhoun lived off of his strong personality and his team rarely played beautiful basketball. Having one of his people come in to a system that no longer had his intensity and then didn't have smart execution is showing up. Obviously I want KO to succeed, but UConn's success comes first. Now we are a mediocre team in a mediocre league. If KO can't at least keep us near the top of the league, and he isn't retained after the next year or so, a national search probably won't get the ready quality possible after JC left and the bloom will be off our attractiveness as a program. I hope the ship gets righted so we don't get into that situation.
Sorry but this post is stupid. Ollie is doing a terrible job this year and you can also blame him for last year if you want but his first year we were a tournament team that had some huge wins and could have made some noise if we weren't banned, his next season he won the title taking out a who's who of big time coaching. Bash him all you want for the last two seasons, I'll join you but you sound ridiculous talking about his first two seasons.

Reaction Score
We also really suffer from a lack of offense from the post positions. Nolan/Facey/Brimah/Enoch aren't true offensive threats in the post although Brimah has improved in this area and Facey can make that jumper. Hard to draw something up for any of these guys when theres no real confidence from anyone that they'll make the right play with it.

Would like to see Purvis/Hamilton in ball screens with Miller, and Brimah on the opposite block with Calhoun in the strong side corner. Lots of options and I trust Hamilton's passing ability and/or Purvis' driving ability in that situation.
We have as much inside offense or more than we had in 2014 when we won it with DD. SM is definitely doable in the post as he showed against a bigger Memphis team. Problem is we are consistently running our offense inside out which we need to do to keep the defense honest. This will also open up cleaner inside shots for SM.

Reaction Score
There is a reason they call Ollie a players coach. How about against Memphis, under 5 seconds left, Gibbs makes 2 free throws to make it a 3 point game. Memphis, who has no timeouts, has to drive the ball the length of the floor with no timeouts and hit a 3 to tie, and KO calls a timeout and allows them to set up a play!! Just bad coaching.

The only true PG on this team this team is Adams, allow Gibbs and Purvis to play on the wings, slash and drive. DHam can play that foul line area he loves and creates and let Shonn play on the blocks. Shooting 30% in a game isn't a matter of not hitting shots. Its a matter of shooting bad shots, which you're forced to take when you can't run a half court offense.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I keep hearing this "only true PG on this team is Adams" thing, but the truth is that even Adams is not a "true" point guard by fundamental basketball standards. He is a textbook scoring combo guard.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I keep hearing this "only true PG on this team is Adams" thing, but the truth is that even Adams is not a "true" point guard by fundamental basketball standards.

The announcers kept referring to him as a "pass-first point guard". Normally I don't care about who calls our games, but can they at least make an effort to scout us? Maybe watch 10-15 minutes of tape?

Reaction Score
This one of those "bumpable" threads. I hate how the team played vs Tulsa but calling for kos head ? Yeah sure fishy. This is a process, do people not realize our defensive anchor is injured ? Yeah let's fire Ollie lmao
I don't know about let's fire Ollie, but I do know people are incredibly disappointed that his coaching has declined the past 1 1/2 years. You don't need Brimah to beat Tulane, Temple or Tulsa; especially with five star athletes like Daniel Hamilton, Rodney Purvis, Jalen Adams and a bevy of talented upperclassman and transfers. Instead, you need good in game coaching, you need to motivate your players with the kind of energy you demand on the sidelines, you need to correct player issues, and most of all your face cannot share the same frustrated faces your players make when they miss shots. Ollie needs to be a leader and a voice of inspiration, confidence and motivation for his players consistently. Yes, premature calls for his firing are misplaced, however this pattern has got to change before it's too late, and this season may already be gone in terms of making the NCAA tournament. I'm not saying this team can't go on and massive run and turn things around but right now it doesn't look good.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing this "only true PG on this team is Adams" thing, but the truth is that even Adams is not a "true" point guard by fundamental basketball standards.

This was not a secret coming in either. He's always been a scoring guard. I don't know where this "true point guard" thing is coming from.

Reaction Score
This was not a secret coming in either. He's always been a scoring guard. I don't know where this "true point guard" thing is coming from.
Probably because he is the only guard who can break his man off the dribble and drive to the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom