Wow. Kevin Ollie. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wow. Kevin Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We also really suffer from a lack of offense from the post positions. Nolan/Facey/Brimah/Enoch aren't true offensive threats in the post although Brimah has improved in this area and Facey can make that jumper. Hard to draw something up for any of these guys when theres no real confidence from anyone that they'll make the right play with it.

Would like to see Purvis/Hamilton in ball screens with Miller, and Brimah on the opposite block with Calhoun in the strong side corner. Lots of options and I trust Hamilton's passing ability and/or Purvis' driving ability in that situation.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
People keep blaming our players for the poor performances. It's the coach's job to put his players in a position to succeed. Having our guards pass the ball around the perimeter for the whole possession then force up a low-percentage 3-pt shot is NOT good offense. It's becoming a pattern. In my mind, that's not on the players, that's on KO.

I quoted you simultaneously...and we agree. I just don't know, based on not knowing plus his constantly exasperated, frustrated expression, whether he's not doing things, or the players aren't doing anything they're supposed to.

Again, that's still on him in many ways, to find a way to get guys to play a certain way...so not taking it off him, just wonder how much. I can't imagine he's that inept or out of tune with the entire core of the team. But from the outside it sure appears that way.

Reaction Score
Some teams can play out of their mistakes and bad shooting. This team has too many new components, they need the Coaches help. One way to help is to diagram plays to get a good percentage shot. I'm not sure I witnessed any plays called to get a good shot or at least get to the foul line, especially when we were struggling.

4 points in over 11 minutes? Did the announcer say that in the 2nd half?
yup

Reaction Score
Recruiting is good and he won the whole thing two years ago, if not for that everyone would be calling for his head. His coaching has been abysmal this year, gave him a break last year because we were young and inexperienced with everyone deferring to Boat, his coaching has absolutely sucked so far this season.

Reaction Score
Elmore said he is super positive, seemingly congratulating them for mistakes.

This team needs a kick in the arse, if there ever was one but Ollie has on slippers. Hell play the walkons but send a fuking message!

I could not agree more with this.

I am so sick and tired of Ollie's buddy buddy player's coach softness. Wake up and find your inner Calhoun! Sub out players who make terrible mistakes to send a message! Show some constructive criticism with passion and emotion! My least favorite things while watching the games is when one of our players makes a bonehead mistake and the camera pans to a sitting Ollie with his disgruntled and confused sad face...and he does NOTHING ABOUT IT!

Sooner or later he needs to wake up and realize that his current strategy with how he's reacting to in game situations is NOT WORKINGGGGG

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've ever seen a guy coach a worse game while getting a paycheck from UConn and I've seen Paul Pasqualoni in action. The final ten minutes of this game were pure malpractice - and the first thirty minutes were no prize either.

He's making $3,000,000 a year and he's not doing the work.

Someone will try to put to the upside or pitch a you're-all-bad-fans tantrum, but the team is on the wrong track these days - Ollie's team doesn't play hard and they don't play smart. That's become the hallmark over the past two years.
I would vote for "not playing smart" category. It's stunning actually.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
These last few years are not UConn basketball. No energy, no pushing the pace, no driving to the rim whatsoever, no low post defender, and worst of all, no star player that can put the team on his back in the 2nd half and close out games. Jalen Adams shows flashes of this but this won't be his team for another year or two. We are asking our 3 to put the ball on the court and drive and he often looks out of control doing it.

I think we're NIT bound again this year and that's a tough pill to swallow considering how juiced I was in the early going of the season.

Reaction Score
I think it's time for Ollie to have a series of long sitdown discussions with Calhoun about in game coaching, player motivation strategies, etc. this is becoming depressing and it makes diehard fans like myself not even want to watch has it's painful to watch such failure against inferior teams. I just don't understand it at all. It also doesn't help when you're sitting The entire game with dooming gloom all over your face. Players need to see you up on the sidelines with Energy and enthusiasm.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Ollie has to figure out how to get Hamilton and Purvis buckets in the paint.

They're not Napier and Boatright. They're not going to consistently break teams down purely on sick ballhandling ability like those guys. And neither is a good enough outside shooter to carry us that way either.

Our offense is so damn easy to defend it sickens me.

Time to make changes KO. This team is too talented to be held to 51 points on 30% shooting by Tulsa.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Lets not take a timeout, we can just let them make a run until the COMMERCIAL BREAK!

Jack up 3, one has to go in

Bigs foul at will

Dham is out of control on drives, why all the 3s, can't jump off of one foot.

This all day every day. He just sits there on his almost as if he's disinterested.

Seriously, do we have an offensive set? Does he call one time out and get us an easy hoop? Ever?

Never ever never, I don't even know what I'm watching. I just know I hate it to the core, it's ugly

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I bet KO wishes he took an NBA job when he was a hot commodity after the national championship. He would not get a job now....well, there's always the Nets.

Reaction Score
We just don't have any inside game and that makes us easy to defend. Disagree with those who say this team doesn't play hard. They play plenty hard enough but too often they get stuck on the perimeter and launching 3's. We win this game if Hamilton drives more and puts up his floaters in the lane instead of launching outside shots. Also Rodney is still inconsistent and Adams is playing tentative.
We may look terrible but we are early in the conference schedule and there is still plenty of time. One more thing: Ollie has to get off his rear and coach like he did in the championship season. Remember when he would actually get in a defensive stance and run up and down the sideline? Sitting on the bench with the whining look doesn't look encouraging.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I can't agree that the players lack passion and that they're not putting in the effort.

Ollie's offense is leaving everyone confused.

It's just too easy to defend. He needs to innovate. We get zero good looks in the paint two years running now.

Reaction Score
KO's facial expressions and posture just don't look like the same coach as 2 years ago. When he sits on the sidelines through terrible possessions, the players are looking to him for inspiration and guidance.
Last years team with mostly different players couldn't seem to run a good offensive set either. It's worrisome for sure.

Reaction Score
KO could coach in his first two seasons. He was masterful with substitutions and game managment. He certainly didn't sit on his butt like this either.

Hate to say it, but I think he's feeling the effects of divorce. It isn't the basketball that makes me say it, it's his demeanor. He's just not the same.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I hate being negative about KO. I love the guy. But this has got to stop. Brimah not being available is no excuse. There is no excuse. No focus. Bad shot selection. Can't capitalize on a lead and extend it. No leadership - either on the court or on the bench. And for god sake, stop the whining and the whining looks. ATTACK someone...preferably the other team. I've been on the Ollie bandwagon for a couple of years, but a 2 point loss to a bad Temple team at home, a 3 point win to a worse Tulane team on the road, then this fiasco...I'm through. Calhoun would have been 15-1 right now. We're talking Dom Perno numbers. UConn is not a .500 program. It's time to begin thinking about the future, and I don't think it's with Kevin.

Reaction Score
This one of those "bumpable" threads. I hate how the team played vs Tulsa but calling for kos head ? Yeah sure fishy. This is a process, do people not realize our defensive anchor is injured ? Yeah let's fire Ollie lmao

Reaction Score
I dont get it. Gibbs can shoot. Purvis can shoot. Adams can drive. Dham has handle and probably low post game. We have a handful of bigs with at least a move. Yet, We cant effectively drive. We cant get the ball down low. Very frustrating.

Reaction Score
I also can't believe how little Ollie uses Dham in the middle of the zone. I feel like he can at least get something going offensviley there...anything. Oh and how little our players throw it there when its available-they'd rather whip it around the perimeter until there are three seconds on the shot clock. Mind boggling, honestly.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
KO's facial expressions and posture just don't look like the same coach as 2 years ago. When he sits on the sidelines through terrible possessions, the players are looking to him for inspiration and guidance.
Last years team with mostly different players couldn't seem to run a good offensive set either. It's worrisome for sure.
I have heard some things from players deep on the bench over the last two years that were surprising to me but could play a role in what you mention. I won't air it out in a public forum but if you want to know send me PM.

Reaction Score
KO could coach in his first two seasons. He was masterful with substitutions and game managment. He certainly didn't sit on his butt like this either.

Hate to say it, but I think he's feeling the effects of divorce. It isn't the basketball that makes me say it, it's his demeanor. He's just not the same.
The divorce may have a lot to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom