Wow. Kevin Ollie. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Wow. Kevin Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This was not a secret coming in either. He's always been a scoring guard. I don't know where this "true point guard" thing is coming from.
You can pretty much bank on any highly touted PG coming into to be a score-first, pass later guard. That's how you get into the NBA - they assume anyone can pass.

Reaction Score
I keep hearing this "only true PG on this team is Adams" thing, but the truth is that even Adams is not a "true" point guard by fundamental basketball standards.

Clarification....the only player who can somewhat initiate the offense and run the point effectively is Adams

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Clarification....the only player who can somewhat initiate the offense and run the point effectively is Adams
I think you mean Jalen is the only one who can drive and dish successfully half the time.

Reaction Score
To the point made earlier about Ollie being described as a positive coach who is always encouraging and buddies with his players... How much more does it suck that Ollie publicly puts so much of the losses solely on his players? I mean, he has to be losing the players at some point over this stuff. He needs to publicly take accountability for his mistakes if he makes them. The most egregious one was the Maryland paper-flinging technical that he brushed off. If I'm a player on that team, there's no way I'm not disheartened by the way he's been acting. If we can see it from our television sets, the players can see it too. The players give their effort every time they play, but it has to take a toll on them with the way Ollie just hasn't seemed to be totally "there."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

When did you see Adams set any of his teammates up? He made a couple of nice floaters but I didn't see him do anything notable from a distributor's standpoint at all.

Reaction Score
When did you see Adams set any of his teammates up? He made a couple of nice floaters but I didn't see him do anything notable from a distributor's standpoint at all.
He set up KF for a nice basket.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score

Have a goodnight, all. And to all the hyper-aggressive "I only come out after a bad loss, posters" have a good night as well. Take a swig of tequila for me before you go to bed. It'll help.

Reaction Score

Not just about setting his teammates up, he moves the ball around the perimeter effectively and passes the ball ahead on the break.... A lot of our guys love pounding the ball into the floor for 25 seconds then throwing up a fadeaway

Reaction Score
Jalen's just the kid who gets the anti-Brimah treatment this year. Probably because Gibbs is not the PG some on here expected him to be, they project a ton of ___ onto Jalen that's not there right now.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Hes the only "true" PG in that he utilizes PG skills in the games...which Gibbs and Purvis don't, namely attacking and having the option to dish/score. He's not a "true" PG in that he's a scorer/slasher but he he is a PG, not a SG.

And as for Ollie, again I'm not defending his poor coaching recently, except to say that when we stand around and dribble then hoist up bad shots...ANY offense can be that way if that's all the players do.

I can't sit here and say he tells them to play the way they do on O, with very little attacking dribble movements. If his offense is set up to attack at given spots, and all the players are either too reticent to do so or too afraid of turning ot over or whatever...thats what you get.

It's not like most offenses are set plays. They are offenses. At this level he can't tell each player each movement, he has to coach them on when and how to attack it properly. In 2014 he did that, clearly. So is it a matter of these players not being as good, not being as willing, not understanding the game?

His role is to get that out of them, so it doesn't clear him of blame. But people I think are going too far blaming the entirety of the stagnation on him.

He has to push some different buttons, clearly. But it's on these guards to take ownership and start playing with some toughness and leadership, and dare I say, basketball IQ.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He set up KF for a nice basket.

Yes he did but 1 does not make one a point guard
This team cries out loud for a REAL point guard - KEA, Kemba, Rick Moore, T Brown, Bazz, AJ - where are you?????
Hell. I'll even take a D Beverley - at least he took it to the hoop

Reaction Score
Yes he did but 1 does not make one a point guard
This team cries out loud for a REAL point guard - KEA, Kemba, Rick Moore, T Brown, Bazz, AJ - where are you?????
I never said he was a great Pt guard. He obviously is more of a combo guard who can take his man off the dribble. I still think the best line up is starting SG, JA, RP, DHAM and SM. It gives us the best chance to win games.

Reaction Score
"Adams is a combination guard that thinks scoring first." First sentence of his ESPN recruiting evaluation.

Reaction Score
The pick and roll offense doesn't work against a zone. We look lost against a zone, and we don't up tempo (taking the ball to the hoop, not hoist 3's) to take advantage of our athleticism. Not pressing either in order to get turnovers and get into transition. It is ugly and the players look lost.

time to press, speed up the game and go to the basket!!

We (nor really anyone besides VCU) have pressed in like 600 years. It's not going to happen. Some miraculous turnover inducing crazed trap is not going to just materialize and compensate for our dumpster fire offense. Teams that press today generally get picked apart in 8 seconds.

The vaunted UConn press was really only a factor for two years before teams scouted it and figured it out. After that, our press was used to control pace and tempo. Then JC took it away for good around 09.

Reaction Score
Another problem we have this year is there is really no bench to speak of. I mean at the beginning of the year there was so much hope for Omar , SC jr. and JA and even SE. Though JA has been alright none of them have been effective enough to be counted on game in and game out. Problem is we need to give JA more minutes as our offense is best when we have options.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing this, and it's a really poor excuse.

Ever been through one? They can screw you up, to say the least. Who can say if it is the case with KO, but he damn sure doesn't seem like the same guy he was a couple of years ago.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sorry but this post is stupid. Ollie is doing a terrible job this year and you can also blame him for last year if you want but his first year we were a tournament team that had some huge wins and could have made some noise if we weren't banned, his next season he won the title taking out a who's who of big time coaching. Bash him all you want for the last two seasons, I'll join you but you sound ridiculous talking about his first two seasons.

Maybe you sat through as many games in person as I did the NC year. We were totally inconsistent. We had a great run through the tournament as I mentioned and gave him credit for our D. But that doesn't happen without a saving play at the end of game one. We lose that game and I doubt there would be much to discuss about how well they played during the whole season. Inconsistency had been the name of our game before last year and this. It's a problem that keeps every opponent in every game.

Reaction Score
KO could coach in his first two seasons. He was masterful with substitutions and game managment. He certainly didn't sit on his butt like this either.

Hate to say it, but I think he's feeling the effects of divorce. It isn't the basketball that makes me say it, it's his demeanor. He's just not the same.
I totally agree. He use to even show emotion and get technicals like the one in the Lousiville game and the one in the Marquette one the year before.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. He use to even show emotion and get technicals like the one in the Lousiville game and the one in the Marquette one the year before.
Personal problems can certainly effect work performance.
I would of though he wold have adjusted by now but who knows.

Reaction Score
Personal problems can certainly effect work performance.
I would of though he wold have adjusted by now but who knows.
Yes, I would of thought the same but everybody adjusts differently and it sure seems like he is a different coach emotionally since the divorce. I feel bad for the guy but UCONN can't wait too much longer until he is right in the head considering our conference situation.

Reaction Score
Posted last week - I'll post it again one final time. We need this kind of fire at least a couple times a game. He needs to get into kids faces, pull their asses if they're not executing his offense.
The talent on this team is going down the shtter fast.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We (nor really anyone besides VCU) have pressed in like 600 years. It's not going to happen. Some miraculous turnover inducing crazed trap is not going to just materialize and compensate for our dumpster fire offense. Teams that press today generally get picked apart in 8 seconds.

The vaunted UConn press was really only a factor for two years before teams scouted it and figured it out. After that, our press was used to control pace and tempo. Then JC took it away for good around 09.
It's about tempo and pace. We aren't good in the half court- we need to speed the game up. What do you suggest to speed up the game?

Reaction Score
Posted last week - I'll post it again one final time. We need this kind of fire at least a couple times a game. He needs to get into kids faces, pull their asses if they're not executing his offense.
The talent on this team is going down the shtter fast.

What is telling about the JC video is that it is a game against a weak Depaul team, we are up 13 with 7 minutes to go. The intensity from the JC is inspiring. What a warrior mentality. Ollie, right now, not so much.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's about tempo and pace. We aren't good in the half court- we need to speed the game up. What do you suggest to speed up the game?

First, the press doesn't really bother teams these days - it's why you rarely see it.

Second, if we pressed for any length of time, you'd see Jalen Adams start the second half at center because Phil and Kentan will have fouled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom