Wow. Kevin Ollie. | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Wow. Kevin Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
That close loss to Syracuse isn't a quality loss anymore. They suck too. Our coaching staff should coach looking ahead to the AAC Tourney as the only chance to make the big dance. At this point, I don't care about winning or losing regular season games anymore. We need to develop the lineup that will be best in March.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Actually, if Ollie made a mistake this season it was just pursuing Gibbs this off season.
Like most of the Boneyard, he drank the All 2nd Team Big East point guard baloney. Gibbs is a very good player but he is also a smoother version of Purvis with less defense.
Adams is a tweener. We needed to find a legit point guard to run the offense. I don't know it any were available as 5th year transfers, but he didn't have to be great, just solid.
Ollie could have found one of them.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Actually, if Ollie made a mistake this season it was just pursuing Gibbs this off season.
Like most of the Boneyard, he drank the All 2nd Team Big East point guard baloney. Gibbs is a very good player but he is also a smoother version of Purvis with less defense.
Adams is a tweener. We needed to find a legit point guard to run the offense. I don't know it any were available as 5th year transfers, but he didn't have to be great, just solid.
Ollie could have found one of them.
Ollie got the grad transfers because he swung and missed on all his targets except Adams. He tried to plug holes in his team and it hasn't worked out.

Reaction Score
The Brimah put back was the result of Bazz missing a bunny - after Bazz dribbled off his leg out of bounds on the previous possession. KO maybe got a big break, but he's second to Bazz, who would have a much much different reputation here if AB didn't tie the game up and give him a second chance. Role player on a national title team and not leading team anywhere after basically makes him Albert Mouring. Think about it - his only two NCAA games after the Butler win would have been the ISU debacle and a 5-20 clunker in a down to the wire loss to Saint Joe's with a couple blown possessions late.

We put a 15-0 run on Nova with Bazz on the bench and then beat Florida with our D )and DD) after the Gators effectively schemed defensively to render Bazz ineffective. The last three games were largely about us holding three very good teams to around 50 points each.

Bazz made up for the early-tourney blemishes quite obviously (and frankly played a really smart game against Florida to not force things) but If you attribute the title to Bazz alone, you weren't paying much attention.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
During the title run of 2014, when Ollie had DD, Boat, Bazz, Giffey and Kromah/Brimah.
on the floor at the same time, he had the best five on the floor. Although they might not have been NBA sized prospects, these guys were better than what the other teams could put out there. And Ollie used them perfectly.

Reaction Score
The Brimah put back was the result of Bazz missing a bunny - after Bazz dribbled off his leg out of bounds on the previous possession. KO maybe got a big break, but he's second to Bazz, who would have a much much different reputation here if AB didn't tie the game up and give him a second chance. Role player on a national title team and not leading team anywhere after basically makes him Albert Mouring. Think about it - his only two NCAA games after the Butler win would have been the ISU debacle and a 5-20 clunker in a down to the wire loss to Saint Joe's with a couple blown possessions late.

We put a 15-0 run on Nova with Bazz on the bench and then beat Florida with our D )and DD) after the Gators effectively schemed defensively to render Bazz ineffective. The last three games were largely about us holding three very good teams to around 50 points each.

Bazz made up for the early-tourney blemishes quite obviously (and frankly played a really smart game against Florida to not force things) but If you attribute the title to Bazz alone, you weren't paying much attention.

Interesting point that has quite a bit of truth in it. I don't think Bazz should get ALL the credit for the title, but I don't think KO had this incredible "pure" coaching run that took us to the title. I think he did a wonderful job motivating our players to play stifling defense (Boat), and had an offense that enabled our three scorers to have some freedom within the half court. But was there really something "innovative" that he did to "outcoach" his contemporaries? Doubling Payne is not an amazing coaching move, imo. It's common sense. We got out big against Kentucky by playing our game and Calipari being stubborn and sticking with his automatic switching on defense. Once DD went out of that game and Calipari made some adjustments, it was an even game with Kentucky having a few chances to take the lead late. Had we lost that game, what would KOs reputation be then? Squandering a 15 point lead in the national championship game...

I don't know, I always felt like KO got too much credit in the "outcoached" hall of fame coaches idea when really we had two guards who were simply tougher than everyone else and in particular, one guard, Boat who was going to completely eliminate the opposing teams point guard. KO motivated him to become that, but Boat was the one who took it to the next level.

KO can recruit, we know that at this point. He's still evolving as a coach. His substitution patterns, mediocre half court offense, and questionable game management techniques (timeouts) do not put him at the level that many here thought he was. He very well may get there, but he's still very much a work in progress.

Reaction Score
boog204 said:
Interesting point that has quite a bit of truth in it. I don't think Bazz should get ALL the credit for the title, but I don't think KO had this incredible "pure" coaching run that took us to the title. I think he did a wonderful job motivating our players to play stifling defense (Boat), and had an offense that enabled our three scorers to have some freedom within the half court. But was there really something "innovative" that he did to "outcoach" his contemporaries? Doubling Payne is not an amazing coaching move, imo. It's common sense. We got out big against Kentucky by playing our game and Calipari being stubborn and sticking with his automatic switching on defense. Once DD went out of that game and Calipari made some adjustments, it was an even game with Kentucky having a few chances to take the lead late. Had we lost that game, what would KOs reputation be then? Squandering a 15 point lead in the national championship game... I don't know, I always felt like KO got too much credit in the "outcoached" hall of fame coaches idea when really we had two guards who were simply tougher than everyone else and in particular, one guard, Boat who was going to completely eliminate the opposing teams point guard. KO motivated him to become that, but Boat was the one who took it to the next level. KO can recruit, we know that at this point. He's still evolving as a coach. His substitution patterns, mediocre half court offense, and questionable game management techniques (timeouts) do not put him at the level that many here thought he was. He very well may get there, but he's still very much a work in progress.

It's definitely a combination of both. We were down 20-10 to Nova when Bazz went to the bench and we were in a world of hurt. When MSU went up 9 in the second half we looked dead to rights, and when Florida went up 16-4, I wasn't sure if we'd score 30 points and if we might be the victim of the biggest blowout in FF history. All three times, we flipped the switch. You can say MSU was largely Bazz taking over, he was on the bench when we flipped the switch against Nova and it was mostly other guys against Florida.

Against Florida, we seized the lead and stayed with the small lineup when Young was killing us because they couldn't stop us on the other end and we were willing to shrink the clock and let Young get his to keep their guards from heating up. When the Gators went zone, we picked it apart with three lobs that was kind of their final death knell. Same when Kentucky threw a late zone at us - lob to DD for a critical bucket. We were prepared for those adjustments.

If we lost a close game to Kentucky, I don't think KO's reputation takes a big hit since he got that far beating two favorites in MSU and Florida. But it was never a one-possession game in the last five minutes, so it wasn't like it came down to one play. We always had a margin for error and were a DD cavernously wide open three from going up nine with 1:20 left when maybe we win by 13 or 15 after taking on some foul shots.

Reaction Score

Not to Bazz alone, but impossible without him.

Reaction Score
I believe this very well be his "most talented" team but theres a huge difference between having the "most talented" team and "the best" team.
RP was labeled the Ferrari as a result of his preseason play last year- have you heard him repeat that at all this year? I saw RP during preseason in October 2014 and the kid was unbelievable. He definitely looked different then and when he took the floor for the real deal. The closest he came was the March run he had last year. I was telling all my friends about what I saw during those October afternoons but when the 2014-2015 season started they all looked a me like I was nuts.
I honestly KO doesn't believe what he is seeing on the court right now. BUT hat doesn't excuse him IF he is not coaching them to the best of his ability.
No way this team is more talented than 2014. Buzz, Boat, DD would be starting on this year's team and maybe Giffey.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You're never as good as you think when things are going well.
You are never as bad as it looks when things are going bad.

That old baseball adage applies here. Our players don't suck and neither does Ollie. They are lost. It is killing a season for which we had high expectations.

As Huskie fans, we can't do anything but hope they fix the problem. Quite frankly, I don't see DHam or Ollie staying stuck.
If you need a break from the pain, take one. Ready to jump ship? Be my guest. We have too many entitled fans as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom