Wow. Kevin Ollie. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Wow. Kevin Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Never thought I'd see the day people liked a freescooter post. That said, we have issues that need to be resolved, and fast. I knew it would take time for this team to gel given the new pieces but thought we'd be past that by this point in the season. Very disappointed we have played so poorly but still ten toes in.

Reaction Score
Never thought I'd see the day people liked a freescooter post. That said, we have issues that need to be resolved, and fast. I knew it would take time for this team to gel given the new pieces but thought we'd be past that by this point in the season. Very disappointed we have played so poorly but still ten toes in.

don't know about the history, but he makes a great point rather than relying on the subjunctive .wtf'.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
In Ollie's defense.
So, Ollie broke Brimah's finger?.
Did Ollie shoot 5 for January standing alone on the three point line or four feet from the basket? Ollie's job is to design an offense that gives his players a great look at the basket. DHam has been bricking wide open threes. These are great shots. Ollie has no choice to see if DHam could shoot his way out of this slump(if it is a slump).
Did Ollie instruct DHam to pull up for the horrible 3 in the Gonzaga game?
Did Ollie instruct this Cornell grad 5th year senior to push with his hands under the basket or to block out using his body?
Did Ollie instruct Gibbs to panic and charge into the lane of two consecutive possessions and dribble the ball off his feet?
Nolan, Facey, Brimah, Purvis were recruited when no one else wanted to come to UConn.
The talent level on this team is not as good as we thought.
Ollie has to design an offense with guys who can't dribble, pass or shoot at a high level.

Reaction Score
In Ollie's defense.
So, Ollie broke Brimah's finger?.
Did Ollie shoot 5 for January standing alone on the three point line or four feet from the basket? Ollie's job is to design an offense that gives his players a great look at the basket. DHam has been bricking wide open threes. These are great shots. Ollie has no choice to see if DHam could shoot his way out of this slump(if it is a slump).
Did Ollie instruct DHam to pull up for the horrible 3 in the Gonzaga game?
Did Ollie instruct this Cornell grad 5th year senior to push with his hands under the basket or to block out using his body?
Did Ollie instruct Gibbs to panic and charge into the lane of two consecutive possessions and dribble the ball off his feet?
Nolan, Facey, Brimah, Purvis were recruited when no one else wanted to come to UConn.
Ollie has to design an offense with guys who can't dribble, pass or shoot at a high level.

While some of the things you say are valid, are you trying to insinuate that we are running good offense but simply not hitting shots? Because I will wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment.

H

huskymagic

I disagree about the divorce not affecting him this year. We are all different people and divorce and affect us differently. It isn't all about financial security after a divorce for some. He is a very religious man and family is very important to him. I can see where this could be huge blow to his persona getting divorced. I think it is obvious he is still having some hangover from the divorce.

I can give him one more year but if next year is like this he has to go. We can't afford to wait for KO to rediscover himself as a coach through this adversity. He must know this deep inside.

Please stop with your nonsense. Ollie's horrible coaching this year and last is not the result of a divorce. When you are in the heat of battle, no one thinks about their spouse or anything else at that moment except the task at hand. Ollie is soft and treats his players like they are his friends instead of his employees. Our guys are soft, lack discipline, lack basketball IQ, and have no intensity in the game. These past two years are not UCONN caliber teams in anyway shape or form. It might be a shock, I know, but maybe he isn't a great coach, and the players he recruited with the exception of Brimah aren't as talented as they were hyped to be. We have a bunch of role players and no leader/ point guard on this squad. Ollie has recruited one-too many interchangeable zeroes who are one-dimensional. It's sad to say but what guard on our team is better than Tulsa's Harrison and Woodard?

Reaction Score
don't know about the history, but he makes a great point rather than relying on the subjunctive .wtf'.

You don't seem to be a person qualified to have thoughts let alone share them

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
In Ollie's defense

Facey and especially Purvis were sought after recruits, Don't remember Nolan's recruitment. But I disagree with your premise. Other teams are doing more with less. There is something in the chemistry and the coaching that is hurting us.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
. Ollie has recruited one-too many interchangeable zeroes who are one-dimensional.

I think zeroes are pretty well rounded.

Just to make sure I understand, you think all the players and all the coaches suck? Or all the players and just Ollie?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If the fans overrated the team than what did the head coach do? He called it his most talented and deepest team in his 4 years as coach. He called Rodney Purvis a ferrari.

We don't have enough talent on this roster to finish top 3 in the AAC? Really?

I believe this very well be his "most talented" team but theres a huge difference between having the "most talented" team and "the best" team.
RP was labeled the Ferrari as a result of his preseason play last year- have you heard him repeat that at all this year? I saw RP during preseason in October 2014 and the kid was unbelievable. He definitely looked different then and when he took the floor for the real deal. The closest he came was the March run he had last year. I was telling all my friends about what I saw during those October afternoons but when the 2014-2015 season started they all looked a me like I was nuts.
I honestly KO doesn't believe what he is seeing on the court right now. BUT hat doesn't excuse him IF he is not coaching them to the best of his ability.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
While some of the things you say are valid, are you trying to insinuate that we are running good offense but simply not hitting shots? Because I will wholeheartedly disagree with that sentiment.
What I am saying that with this team's lack of dribbling and passing skills and its overall weak basketball acumen, Ollie may be running the only offense he can. So, it is necessary to hit a few wide open threes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ollie gets one more year if he makes the nit again. Another year after that of nit and he needs to go. Shabazz isn't here to bail him out anymore, and that's a huge problem.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Ollie gets one more year if he makes the nit again. Another year after that of nit and he needs to go. Shabazz isn't here to bail him out anymore, and that's a huge problem.

There it is folks. You heard it here first! One more year and we need to gather round with the pitchforks.

Thank heavens for Kevin that Shabazz was able to single handedly defeat Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and John Calipari or we'd have been at his doorstep last year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
A while ago I wouldn't have entertained this idea, but Ollie's continued lethargy makes me wonder if something to do with his divorce has him bummed out/disinterested in basketball. Not trying to comment on his personal life really or make any judgments about the guy, but you just have to wonder if his mind is on other things than basketball.
Like maybe depression?

Reaction Score
What's the alternative? I mean really, all we can do is be cheerleaders right now. We know KO can coach, I don't think this thread, which is also read by recruits is necessary.

None of our criticism will change or affect KO's coaching. This board believes in Mojo just as much as the players and coaches abilities, it's just going to be that type of season for us, this is not a 2004 type season, but it stll can be more of a 2014 type year. KO can still get us there, he's earned the right to have some bad games.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
KO owes his position to Brimah's baby hook and one against St. Joe's in the opening game of the 2014 NCAA tourney. If not for that one play saving the season, how many on this board would be praising KO's coaching ability on this board today? As far as concern that recruits might read this board and decide to go elsewhere, recruits' reading is limited to 40 characters at a time these days.

Reaction Score
KO owes his position to Brimah's baby hook and one against St. Joe's in the opening game of the 2014 NCAA tourney. If not for that one play saving the season, how many on this board would be praising KO's coaching ability on this board today? As far as concern that recruits might read this board and decide to go elsewhere, recruits' reading is limited to 40 characters at a time these days.

Yeah because the Villanova, Iowa State, Michigan State, Florida and Kentucky games were so easy anyone could've coached the Huskies to W's.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

I'm as annoyed with KO as anyone, but this is a really stupid point. First of all, the baby hook was only necessary because St. Joe's, a relatively poor-shooting team, had a ridiculous game from three and from the line. Secondly, the fact that they could have lost that game doesn't negate the wins over Jay Wright, Fred Hoiberg, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan, or Calipari.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
As far as concern that recruits might read this board and decide to go elsewhere, recruits' reading is limited to 40 characters at a time these days.

And this site has way over 40 characters.

Tired of hearing about AB in that game. Most championships have a close game and that doesn't negate all the skill he showed in all the subsequent games.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm as annoyed with KO as anyone, but this is a really stupid point. First of all, the baby hook was only necessary because St. Joe's, a relatively poor-shooting team, had a ridiculous game from three and from the line. Secondly, the fact that they could have lost that game doesn't negate the wins over Jay Wright, Fred Hoiberg, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan, or Calipari.
We won because we had Shabazz and those teams didn't.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Temple actually shot 38% from the three that year, and 47% from the field. So there were a solid shooting team that performed just around where you expect them to. However you are correct about free throws, they only shot 64% from the stripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom