OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Group F scenarios are crazy:

- Mexico need a point vs. Sweden to go through and top the group. They are definitely through with a defeat if Germany fail to win.
- Sweden are guaranteed to qualify if they win or better Germany's result. If they beat Mexico and Germany fail to win, Sweden will top the group.
- Germany must win by two or more goals or better Sweden's result to guarantee qualifying.
- If both Germany and Sweden draw, the team in the higher-scoring game will finish second. If both draws are the same scoreline, Germany finish second on head to head.
- South Korea must beat Germany and hope Sweden lose to Mexico to have a chance of qualifying.

THREE-WAY TIE FOR FIRST AND SECOND
- If Sweden and Germany win they will finish level on six points with Mexico, and it will first come down to goal difference.
- Sweden are through in all scenarios. Germany are through in all but three scenarios, which means Mexico are most likely to be eliminated.
- If Sweden win by two or more goals they are through, with Germany guaranteed to qualify with any win (Mexico out)
- If Germany win by two or more goals they are through, with Sweden through with any win (Mexico out)
- If both Germany and Sweden win 1-0 the three teams would have identical records and it would go to head-to-head mini-league, and this would see Germany and Sweden through on goals scored (with Germany top on direct head to head with Sweden) and Mexico out.
- If both Germany and Sweden win 2-1 then Sweden would win the group on head to head goals scored. Mexico would be in second ahead of Germany in third on direct head to head
- If both Germany and Sweden win 3-2 (or any higher one-goal identical margin of victory) then Sweden would win the group with Mexico second and Germany third on head-to-head mini-league goals scored
- The only other way Mexico can go through, at the expense of Germany, if is both games are won by one goal, but Mexico's defeat against Sweden is a higher-scoring game.
- If Sweden win by one goal, and Germany win by one goal but in a high-scoring game, Germany win the group with Sweden in second and Mexico out

THREE-WAY TIE FOR SECOND
- If South Korea win and Sweden lose there will be a three-way tie for second on three points for Germany, Sweden and South Korea. It will first come down to goal difference.
- If South Korea beat Germany by two goals they are guaranteed to finish second
- If South Korea beat Germany 1-0 and Sweden lose 1-0 to Mexico, Germany would be second on direct head to head against Sweden with South Korea bottom
- If South Korea beat Germany by a higher-scoring one-goal margin than Sweden lose to Mexico, then South Korea would finish second on direct head to head against Germany with Sweden bottom
- If Sweden lose by more than one goal they cannot qualify, and South Korea would therefore finish second with any victory

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
England just crushing Panama. No problem finishing today.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Panama. Costa Rica terrible. How did we not beat theses crap teams?

I think Costa Rica is better than they've showed. Panama blows.

Our federation blows. People might not have liked him, but firing Jurgen was a panic move. Hiring Arena was a completely uninspired, losing move.

Reaction Score
I think Costa Rica is better than they've showed. Panama blows.

Our federation blows. People might not have liked him, but firing Jurgen was a panic move. Hiring Arena was a completely uninspired, losing move.
No argument on Arena, but Jurgen should have been gone a long time ago. Missing this World Cup wasn't exactly a surprising result given the way USA Soccer was trending

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No argument on Arena, but Jurgen should have been gone a long time ago. Missing this World Cup wasn't exactly a surprising result given the way USA Soccer was trending

I get that position, but it's the timing of it that blew. You can't fire your manager that late in the game and expect the results to shake out in your favor. I think there was a better chance to qualify under Jurgen at that point. I think they probably qualify with a result against T&T. But that's just my opinion.

He did need to go. Timing was bad. Either do it years earlier, or post WC.

Reaction Score
I get that position, but it's the timing of it that blew. You can't fire your manager that late in the game and expect the results to shake out in your favor. I think there was a better chance to qualify under Jurgen at that point. I think they probably qualify with a result against T&T. But that's just my opinion.

He did need to go. Timing was bad. Either do it years earlier, or post WC.

Agree, should have let this WC cycle play out with Klinnsmen, release him after.

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority but I wanted to keep Klinnsmann. He gave us the highest ceiling with his European ties. I had a feeling we were screwed when he was replaced by Arena. Felt like an ultimate cop out and a backward move, not forward or even lateral. As of now I don't think an American coach is good enough to harness the natural athletic ability this country has. Not forward-thinking or creative enough. I would love someone like Laurent Blanc or even Osorio if he would stab Mexico in the back like that.

Reaction Score
I'm probably in the minority but I wanted to keep Klinnsmann. He gave us the highest ceiling with his European ties. I had a feeling we were screwed when he was replaced by Arena. Felt like an ultimate cop out and a backward move, not forward or even lateral. As of now I don't think an American coach is good enough to harness the natural athletic ability this country has. Not forward-thinking or creative enough. I would love someone like Laurent Blanc or even Osorio if he would stab Mexico in the back like that.

Agreed. Jurgen needed more time to develop talent.

Reaction Score
Japan has been surprisingly good.
In Japan's first games (beat Columbia 2-1 & tied Senegal 2-2), to what extent have the Japanese been surprisingly good versus Columbia and Senegal potentially being overrated? When Japan plays Group H's highest ranked pre-World Cup nation Poland, perhaps we'll find out more against the purported under performer. If Japan ends up not advancing to the knockout stage, will their performance still have been surprisingly good?

Reaction Score
In Japan's first games (beat Columbia 2-1 & tied Senegal 2-2), to what extent have the Japanese been surprisingly good versus Columbia and Senegal potentially being overrated? When Japan plays Group H's highest ranked pre-World Cup nation Poland, perhaps we'll find out more against the purported under performer. If Japan ends up not advancing to the knockout stage, will their performance still have been surprisingly good?
Senegal isn’t overrated, they’ve arguably overachieved. They’re extremely exciting, Niang has been great. Japan does look really good, but they’re definitely gonna struggle against a possession team that can pick out passes.

Reaction Score
Senegal isn’t overrated, they’ve arguably overachieved. They’re extremely exciting, Niang has been great. Japan does look really good, but they’re definitely gonna struggle against a possession team that can pick out passes.
As in all groups and potentially the knockout phase, time will tell with Group H. I'm more curious about the surprising description.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
God Bless the Three Lions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Uruguay up 2-0 on Russia. Love it. First decent team the Russians have faced. It was really ridiculous that they were put in such a soft group. I want them gone early in the knockout phase.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Let’s go Iran and Spain!!

Not Portugal fan, eh Swag.

Winner of this group gets Russia, while loser Uruguay. Big implications for the second halves here. Portugal's late goal was huge.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Carlos Queiroz has done a great job with this Iranian team. Well organized.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Carlos Queiroz has done a great job with this Iranian team. Well organized.

Doing a great job faking injury to try to get a card on Ronaldo. Absolutely the worst aspect of this sport. Should have given a yellow to the Iranian player.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Doing a great job faking injury to try to get a card on Ronaldo. Absolutely the worst aspect of this sport.

At least he didn't get a red there; could have been tournament changing. All commentators thinking it's going to be a red was weird. Including the former FIFA rules official guy. I thought it was inadvertent.

Morocco!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom