OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At least he didn't get a red there; could have been tournament changing. All commentators thinking it's going to be a red was weird. Including the former FIFA rules official guy. I thought it was inadvertent.

Morocco!

I don't have audio. That is bizarre. The guy stumbled into him, and Ronaldo merely used a swim move to get by him, which may have contacted the guy lightly around the midsection. So the Iranian player grabs his face like he got punched, even though there was no contact with his head at all. Shouldn't have been a yellow. Ordinary foul.

Yay Morocco!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wow, Spain might have just won the group. This is a crazy two matches!

Reaction Score
I thought it was inadvertent.
Inadvertent? Perhaps from a camera angle not shown in step-in replays on the network I'm watching; looked intentional, for no reason & deserving of a red card for many players

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Inadvertent? Perhaps from a camera angle not shown in step-in replays on the network I'm watching; looked intentional, for no reason & deserving of a red card for many players

It was a swim move, the guy threw his body into ronaldo, who tried to get his arm up and around him to get by. He barely caught him and it didn't look like he was trying to hit him in the face at all. Rather, he was trying to leverage around him, but the guy was falling down (on purpose mind you).

Edit: you could have called a penalty on the Iranian for obstruction, but he 'sold' the fall really well. So I would have gone no call.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Awesome afternoon of soccer. Two ties even, but it was electric. I love the World Cup.

Very hot Iranian girl there too.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ronaldo should’ve gotten a red. Iran deserved another penalty.

Portugal is going to do what they did in the euro, squeak by each game and pray for luck

Reaction Score
It was a swim move, the guy threw his body into ronaldo, who tried to get his arm up and around him to get by.
Take your word for it; not so much HuskyHawk's. ;) Trust, but verify ... I flipped to the Iran broadcast, play had continued, and back to the Spain game where play had continued. Not surprisingly, figured the whiner fouled!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
At least he didn't get a red there; could have been tournament changing. All commentators thinking it's going to be a red was weird. Including the former FIFA rules official guy. I thought it was inadvertent.

Morocco!
It would’ve been anything if the ball was there but Ronaldo tried to go through the player and swung his elbow and made contact with the players chin. That’s a red card

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It was a swim move, the guy threw his body into ronaldo, who tried to get his arm up and around him to get by. He barely caught him and it didn't look like he was trying to hit him in the face at all. Rather, he was trying to leverage around him, but the guy was falling down (on purpose mind you).

Edit: you could have called a penalty on the Iranian for obstruction, but he 'sold' the fall really well. So I would have gone no call.
The fact is the ball as no where near him. He hit him in the face with his elbow. Regardless if the guy sold it or was trying to get the refs attention it’s contact to the face away from the ball

Reaction Score
It would’ve been anything if the ball was there but Ronaldo tried to go through the player and swung his elbow and made contact with the players chin. That’s a red card
No one seemed to notice that the player was leaning backwards and his chin was at chest level. No card should have been given.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The fact is the ball as no where near him. He hit him in the face with his elbow. Regardless if the guy sold it or was trying to get the refs attention it’s contact to the face away from the ball

Watched that replay over and over. Never saw any contact with his chin at all. Just a complete sell job, and the Iranian guy should have gotten the yellow for faking.

Reaction Score
What would have happened had spain not tied it late? Would Spain have been out and Iran in? Edit: I think I answered my own quesiton, and Spain would have just finished second, since they beat Iran. I had the game on mute and couldnt figure out what the hell was going on with all the score changes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No one seemed to notice that the player was leaning backwards and his chin was at chest level. No card should have been given.
There’s a difference between trying to run by someone in your way and extending your arm as if it’s a follow through after growing the elbow.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

There's the question of intent. In my opinion, in no way did Ronaldo attempt to specifically hit the guy in the face (whether he actually even made contact is another story). He attempted to push himself past the Iranian with his arm, sure, but not to specifically hit him in the face. If there's no deliberate attempt to do that, then it's not a red. A yellow is perfectly fine that instance.

But if we are going to be perfectly strict, you could make a simple case , because the ball was not there, for the Iranian player committing obstruction. So foul against him prior to anything happening. Portugal free kick.

Reaction Score
There’s a difference between trying to run by someone in your way and extending your arm as if it’s a follow through after growing the elbow.
We get it, you don’t like Ronaldo but if you think that was a red card offense you just don’t know the sport.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We get it, you don’t like Ronaldo but if you think that was a red card offense you just don’t know the sport.
lol sure... it's either not a card or it is a red card... watch a similar play happen this tournament and they'll get a red card bc it is a red card

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
france already advances but playing for the top spot in the group... Argentina have to win and score a lot of goals if Iceland also wins tomorrow against Croatia. If Iceland loses and Argentina beats Nigeria then Argentina is safe

Reaction Score
lol sure... it's either not a card or it is a red card... watch a similar play happen this tournament and they'll get a red card bc it is a red card
I agree- not a card or a red. It shouldn’t have even been a yellow. These plays happen in EVERY game. I have not seen a straight red for that. Only straight red was on Colombia for a goal saving handball.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I agree- not a card or a red. It shouldn’t have even been a yellow. These plays happen in EVERY game. I have not seen a straight red for that. Only straight red was on Colombia for a goal saving handball.
yeah... All I'm saying is that play does happen all the time but it doesn't happen away from the ball. It's usually when going up for headers which is allowed

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Can you imagine if Ronaldo got the red there and was out for the first rd of the knockout? All hell would have broken loose.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Can you imagine if Ronaldo got the red there and was out for the first rd of the knockout? All hell would have broken loose.
upload_2018-6-25_20-50-4.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom