WNBA thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But we all know Lou is a defensive liability she would have got beaten arise hits a 2 pointer and Lou fouls her for the loss either way

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
WNBA transactions today

Los Angeles Sparks released Kristine Anigwe»Hardship release
Los Angeles Sparks waived Bria Holmes
Las Vegas Aces waived Joyner Holmes
Minnesota Lynx waived Rachel Banham
Seattle Storm waived Kiana Williams
Indiana Fever signed Chelsey Perry
Washington Mystics waived Megan Gustafson
Washington Mystics waived Kiara Leslie
Washington Mystics waived Stella Johnson
I'm a little taken aback about Banham. She's had some really good games and has been steady for most of the season. Plus Minnesota has had a lot of injuries (I think at least one hardship contract).

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I keep hoping the right coach picks up Gustafson. It's impossible to imagine anyone who worked as hard as she did in school to not have a place in the league.

Reaction Score
Many foreign players who have already gone pro in their home countries have no desire to attend American college and be subject to the NCAA's crappy (at times) rules. And many are drafted at relatively young ages because teams think it can be advantageous to invest in their development over time.
In other words, international players not playing in the NCAA are automatically eligible to be drafted in the calendar year that they turn 20. The players have no say in the matter. If a team wants their rights, they draft them.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just saw a note that Jonquel Jones is expected to play today for the Sun against the Mystics. Will Charles continue her recent rampage, or will JJ slow her down a bit?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The author of the article wrote: "As is the norm every season, on the day where player contracts became fully guaranteed in the WNBA there is a gluttony of roster moves made for teams to save on cap space."

I've never heard the word used that way, and I haven't found any online dictionary in which it doesn't mean basically the deadly sin. That usage is reminiscent of a book (self-published) in which the main character "jettisoned" to the West coast. There were several instances in the three books in which she used a word that sounded right but didn't mean what the similar-sounding word meant. The plot of the trilogy was great, and the books moved really well, but the butchering of the English language was quite distracting.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

It's great that JJ is back. She's one of the best, and it's great to see another mid-major player excelling.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geez, the Mystics are playing with six players available after waiving three. If they were in the NCAA, they'd forfeit.

Mystics are not embarrassing themselves against the Sun. Except that they can't get a rebound.

Love that the Sun have two mid-major players (J Jones and Hiedeman) playing significant roles.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones is just so good. I believe she only missed 5 games for the Sun, which I think is a small enough # that she should still be in MVP contention.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I saw a tweet that the liberty waived Stokes
Huh? Not that she was contributing much, but unless they signed someone else doesn't that leave them with only Shook as a post until Howard returns? What the heck are they thinking?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Oh no....

I would LOVE to see her come back to Connecticut but I'll bet she ends up in DC. The Sun are probably capped out of doing anything for her.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Huh? Not that she was contributing much, but unless they signed someone else doesn't that leave them with only Shook as a post until Howard returns? What the heck are they thinking?

Here's a story that addresses just that:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thanks @Dillon77 . I forgot about Gray. Sounds like the Lib does have a plan. Also sounds like they gave Stokes a chance, and she just wasn't fitting into what they were trying to do, both offensively and defensively.

Reaction Score
Sparks, Liberty, and Fever have people in their front office that have no idea what they’re doing. Like Bria Holmes waive by the sparks and Cox by the Fever. I just don’t get it.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I would not put the Liberty in the same boat as the Fever or Sparks. The Liberty were awful last year and completely remade their roster, grabbing Howard, Whitcomb, and Laney in the off season, then drafting the likely ROY in Onyenwere.

Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones is just so good. I believe she only missed 5 games for the Sun, which I think is a small enough # that she should still be in MVP contention.
If MVP means most valuable to her team, the following W-L records speak for themselves:

With JJ in the lineup : 9-2 (both losses in overtime)
Without JJ : 2-3

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If MVP means most valuable to her team, the following W-L records speak for themselves:

With JJ in the lineup : 9-2 (both losses in overtime)
Without JJ : 2-3
Well by that logic, clearly Parker is the MVP. Sky is 8-1 with her, 1-7 without.

I don't really think Parker is the MVP by the way. Any team is going to be not as good without a star player, especially initially as they try to adjust. I'd say the Sun kept their head above water w/out JJ anyway.

Take away Tina Charles and how bad would the Mystics be?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sloot w/ another double double, 10 pts/12 assists. Her average keeps creeping up, 8.7 apg now. Sky beat the Wings.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
BG 10-10 in first half. Maybe 8 of them are mid range jumpers. Still MInn up 45-44 at half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom