WNBA Off-Season | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA Off-Season

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She sat Wallace and inserted hull into the lineup
Wallace barely played after early in the season. It was Samuelson who found herself on the bench more when Hull emerged down the stretch.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Regarding Christie Sides, she goes from 13-27 to 20-20. Yes, She had Caitlin Clark, but yes, she had Caitlin Clark and everything that came along with it. The writing on the wall -- with the new president and GM -- was not particularly subtle, but it looked like she might get a year to get them further ahead. I thought Sides adjusted well to "Clark-world" as the season progressed, moving Hull into the starting lineup and using back-up forwards to good effect.

However, other things have started percolating, namely the alleged Steph White Derby. So, did Indiana want to make itself a more attractive destination by having an "open" position or are they further along with White?

In any case, I think Sides will now also be considered a candidate for other open positions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can almost bet you that Coach Sides will land on her feet. She didn't lose her job because she was bad, she lost it because someone with more experience and a better fit for the future of the organization came into the picture. I think she would be a good fit for the current personnel at many places... Chicago, Connecticut, and Atlanta come to mind.

Reaction Score
Also, fans shouldn’t run the team. But they should have a voice. And I think it seemed like the Fever fans wanted a new coach.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I can almost bet you that Coach Sides will land on her feet. She didn't lose her job because she was bad, she lost it because someone with more experience and a better fit for the future of the organization came into the picture. I think she would be a good fit for the current personnel at many places... Chicago, Connecticut, and Atlanta come to mind.
Sides was an assistant coach at Atlanta, right?
While Chicago has some talent, for sure, not certain that it's a primo destination, even with Reese and Cardoso.
Infrastructure? Top management?
Connecticut? All depends on who comes back on the front line. All the guards will be back.

Reaction Score
Sides was an assistant coach at Atlanta, right?
While Chicago has some talent, for sure, not certain that it's a primo destination, even with Reese and Cardoso.
Infrastructure? Top management?
Connecticut? All depends on who comes back on the front line. All the guards will be back.
Correct. Yeah, I don't think Chicago would be anyone's top pick because of the lack of infrastructure. But I think Sides could take that core talent and turn them into a top half of the league kind of team. Those players would be a better fit for her style of coaching.

Reaction Score
Also, fans shouldn’t run the team. But they should have a voice. And I think it seemed like the Fever fans wanted a new coach.
That may be the impression, but there's no way to prove this was due to the fanbase.

Reaction Score
Regarding Christie Sides, she goes from 13-27 to 20-20. Yes, She had Caitlin Clark, but yes, she had Caitlin Clark and everything that came along with it. The writing on the wall -- with the new president and GM -- was not particularly subtle, but it looked like she might get a year to get them further ahead. I thought Sides adjusted well to "Clark-world" as the season progressed, moving Hull into the starting lineup and using back-up forwards to good effect.

However, other things have started percolating, namely the alleged Steph White Derby. So, did Indiana want to make itself a more attractive destination by having an "open" position or are they further along with White?

In any case, I think Sides will now also be considered a candidate for other open positions.
That is what impressed me about Coach Sides her ability to adjust to the skills and talents of Caitlin Clark and given the pace of the season in terms of preseason games and games and player strengths and weaknesses. Those little details will help Coach Sides land a coaching job soon. Same for Coach Spoon as well. Those two won't be out of coaching for too long, if GMs are smart.

Reaction Score
I think many of the fans weren't exactly WNBA fans or well versed in the league to have a voice. They were calling for her job 2 games into the season.

Sides took a historically bad team for the better part of a decade from 5 to 20 wins in 2 seasons, all while being under the microscope of the Clark fandom. I hope she gets another opportunity, perhaps at the collegiate level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom