WNBA Off-Season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

WNBA Off-Season

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
If your observation relates to the salary cap for a single player I would say all the head coaches are above that. If you're referring to the salary cap for the team none of them....yet

While there are consistently head scratchers along players who make it to WNBA rosters I would argue that the number of head scratchers in the coaching ranks is a multiple of that.

We of course would have to begin with the million dollar coach in Phoenix with zero experience coaching women's basketball although he did spend his youth observing his dad as a successful high school women's Coach in South Dakota. Perhaps that was about.

That said unlike the NBA the WNBA has a set of economics on the wage side of the business that historically have been head scratching. We may however be on the cusp of some change and I think this may be one of the motivations for the union opting out in 2025.
I’m talking the team cap. The coaches absolutely deserve 250k, but as you’ve pointed out, they often don’t deserve a million plus.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm glass half empty here, but I just can't come up with many candidates who seem like slam dunk good options who would actually take a position in the WNBA. And most of the teams looking for a new coach are not good destinations currently, making it a tougher sell.
The past set of candidates or the candidates in the tiny bubble for the head coach position in the w really haven't been slam dunks have they? There's a significant amount of uncertainty and risk in hiring a coach in any sport and that's really clear in the WNBA.

This was the motivation for my original comment that the owners and general managers in the w who have stayed within a very tiny circle of coaches often recycling them might be better served to expand the circle or potential pool of candidates.

I wasn't making an argument that this expanded pool would include any slam dunks but let's face it expanding the pool of coaching candidates couldn't do any worse than what they've done in the past as evidenced by the head coaching turnover in the offseason so far as well as the breathtaking hiring of the million dollar coach without women's coaching experience Nate Tibbetts. That certainly was not a slam dunk.

As to Lindsay Gottlieb. I take her over the million dollar coach every day of the week and twice on Sunday. In the HC chair this past year I think it's highly probable she'd have better record than the million dollar coach. Of course the mediocrity in Phoenix is such that a large number of coaches in all likelihood would have had a better record than Nate including his assistant Kristi Tolliver.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@azfan so basically you are saying take a flyer, just cast a wide net?
Don't current GMs and owners take a flyer and cast a narrow net.

Flyer - Weatherspoon

Narrow net - Kurt Miller

If my characterization of the status quo is correct that is in the status quo WNBA GM and owners have a relatively narrow pool of candidates with a tendency to recycle -to paraphrase your comment they take a flyer and cast a narrow net or fish in a shallow pool I merely advocatethat the breadth and depth of potential candidates be expanded.

Seems that increases the likelihood of achievement candidate who might be more successful.

Reaction Score
Really? The team earned two titles after she joined the organization. How was she a detriment to the Aces while there?
She inherited a pretty good core and did a poor job of securing quality depth. Especially this past season. The lack of a backup plan for Candace retiring is what hurt the Aces this season. She never made filling that role a priority and extending contracts to players such as Kierstan Bell is a waste of money and a roster spot for the organization.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
She inherited a pretty good core and did a poor job of securing quality depth. Especially this past season. The lack of a backup plan for Candace retiring is what hurt the Aces this season. She never made filling that role a priority and extending contracts to players such as Kierstan Bell is a waste of money and a roster spot for the organization.
That's a good point; I'll add that with the salary cap where it is, just a couple of big contracts take up close to half the space. Of course, Vegas went for more big contracts than that, leaving about 5 spots close to the minimum. Super teams have won the last two championships, but Minnesota showed that a team that's not as stacked at the top but has more depth is certainly in the running.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the perspective. I looked at that as a front office failing as a whole, which includes Fargas and Hammon.

Reaction Score
That's a good point; I'll add that with the salary cap where it is, just a couple of big contracts take up close to half the space. Of course, Vegas went for more big contracts than that, leaving about 5 spots close to the minimum. Super teams have won the last two championships, but Minnesota showed that a team that's not as stacked at the top but has more depth is certainly in the running.
I think NY has done a better job getting quality depth with their roster. It was NY depth that ultimately put them over the edge. Players like Fiebich, Nyara and KT provided the pieces to put them over all season.

I did like Minnesota roster, I think the talent on that roster was underrated. While not "superstars" there was definitely great role players on that team that worked well together. I still think they could have found more out of bench pieces like Dorka and Diamond.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the perspective. I looked at that as a front office failing as a whole, which includes Fargas and Hammon.
But at the end of the day that stills falls on the GM primarily. She's ultimately responsible on who they draft and pick up in free agency. There's a quote of her before the trade deadline saying she was content with the roster and was prioritizing chemistry over talent.

Other teams have caught up and not being proactive cost them in the end. CT and Minnesota both made changes mid-season that made their team better and that's been lacking for Vegas this past season.

Reaction Score

My understanding is the team wanted Bell and Colson on the team. I don’t think it all lands on her shoulders

Reaction Score
But at the end of the day that stills falls on the GM primarily. She's ultimately responsible on who they draft and pick up in free agency. There's a quote of her before the trade deadline saying she was content with the roster and was prioritizing chemistry over talent.

Other teams have caught up and not being proactive cost them in the end. CT and Minnesota both made changes mid-season that made their team better and that's been lacking for Vegas this past season.
Signed tiffany hayes

Reaction Score
Signed tiffany hayes
A great get but apparently Becky was responsible for picking her up. A great move from Natalie to sign her but overall pretty poor for a team with championship aspirations imo.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Like everything else, judgement of "the best" WNBA coaches is problematic.

Reeve is one of the best, Brondello better than folks act. Thibault (Mike) was very successful.

Of the much more historic group, clearly Van Chancellor, Bill Laimbeer, Brian Agler and Michael Cooper stand out.

Hammon and White and a number of other coaches "look" very good, but don't have the lengthy record to make a case. Even the successful coaches in the early days just didn't stay all that long, as a rule. I do expect Hammon and White to eventually establish themselves among the best, given time.

Reaction Score
Natalie Williams out as GM in Vegas. All I can say is finally.
I am probably a little late to the party on this one but....
Howie Dorough GIF by BACKSTREET BOYS

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A great get but apparently Becky was responsible for picking her up. A great move from Natalie to sign her but overall pretty poor for a team with championship aspirations imo.

Well…. Then Becky is some what responsible for the team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If Sabally and Howard both leave, Dallas is down to Ogunbowale and...?

Reaction Score

Where Sabally lands will be interesting. With all these teams in flux with respect to having a coach and/or GM, who knows?

I know from a Fever fan perspective that they want NaLyssa to move to another team so they can make room for Satou or Nneka alongside Boston as a starter while keeping Fagbenle and Dantas as backups.

Reaction Score

Christie Sides officially got the sack. And I think she is a really nice lady that tried her best. But she’s not a run and gun coach. She prefers a slower pace with an emphasis on defense. And that doesn’t suit a team with Caitlin clark imo.

Reaction Score

Christie Sides officially got the sack. And I think she is a really nice lady that tried her best. But she’s not a run and gun coach. She prefers a slower pace with an emphasis on defense. And that doesn’t suit a team with Caitlin clark imo.

Respectfully they adjusted their style of play and were playing run and gun for most of the season. She sat Wallace and inserted hull into the lineup, adjusted the offensive scheme which also was beneficial for Kelsey Mitchell who was thriving this year.

Unless they have Stephanie White lined up taking this job, this doesn't make much sense IMO, they weren't that bad and actually significantly improved as a team through the entire season.

Reaction Score

The worst kept secret after the news about White being in talks. Man this off season is going to be something. Definitely worth getting some popcorn. :D

Reaction Score

I just saw this breaking news. Coach Sides, two years as the leader of the Fever, did better than most ever thought she would do in that 2-year span. She took over a franchise that had 2-3 year run of 5-7 wins and got that franchise to 13 wins in her season, with a young roster and 20 wins this season, despite odds stacked against her. I will be curious to see who Indiana brings in and if they regress or keep improving. I feel for Coach Sides and wish her all the best. This is the nature of the coaching profession, and it is never pleasant to see a promising coach get replaced when a team is making strides in improvement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom