Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas is the most curious late addition. Her style of play is unique and not one that easily melds with new teammates. This will be her first time playing for USA Basketball since the U19 team in 2011.

Some of the late additions may eventually start but maybe not in Game 1 which is tomorrow night at 8:30 pm.

Very surprised Boston did not make the team. I wonder what Dawn thinks about that.
Maybe the fact that she is still a student and being away for 2 weeks might be quite a hardship for a student? So perhaps there was an agreement that she would just spend limited time gaining experience

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas is the most curious late addition. Her style of play is unique and not one that easily melds with new teammates. This will be her first time playing for USA Basketball since the U19 team in 2011.

Some of the late additions may eventually start but maybe not in Game 1 which is tomorrow night at 8:30 pm.

Very surprised Boston did not make the team. I wonder what Dawn thinks about that.
I'm quite surprised that Austin and Thomas made the team ahead of Dolson and Boston.

Interesting that the only college programs with more than one alum on the team are Maryland with 2 (A. Thomas, B. Jones (or 2.5 if you count Austin)) and Rutgers with 2 (Laney, Copper).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe the fact that she is still a student and being away for 2 weeks might be quite a hardship for a student? So perhaps there was an agreement that she would just spend limited time gaining experience
Meh. She's already missed 3-4 weeks of classes, what's 2 more weeks particularly since she's half-a-world away. She would not have been the first collegiate player to make a WC team. Parker, Maya and Stewie handled it.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Thomas's style of play is unique, but she was also easily one of the top 10 players in the league this last year, and is a top 5 defensive player. She can do just about anything for a team--as evidenced by her triple doubles in the last two games of the finals. She and B. Jones are also used to playing together.

Wings:
Stewart, Copper, Laney

Guards:
Gray, Ionescu, Loyd, Plum, Atkins

Plebe

Reaction Score
That would be something considering Geno has zero involvement with USA Basketball as far as I can tell. Dawn is a member of the selection committee.
I knew Geno is no longer involved (at least not in any official capacity), but I didn't know Dawn was on the selection committee.

Those committee meetings would be a really fun wall to be a fly on.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Thomas's style of play is unique, but she was also easily one of the top 10 players in the league this last year, and is a top 5 defensive player. She can do just about anything for a team--as evidenced by her triple doubles in the last two games of the finals. She and B. Jones are also used to playing together.

Wings:
Stewart, Copper, Laney

Guards:
Gray, Ionescu, Loyd, Plum, Atkins
I'm not questioning Thomas's ability, just her style of play and being added late to a group of players she's never played with. We'll see how CR chooses to use her.

So Stewie will be playing out of position again?

Reaction Score
Boston not being on the team is interesting. I figured she would be a lock.
I'm not surprised, she's a solid player but she doesn't have the experience of playing at this level like the others. There's also the familiarity in that many of the players chosen have their coaches on the sidelines and they'll be able to get the most out of their players. The only one that really shocked me was Laney over Howard, hopefully that means she's shaken off the rust these past few weeks.

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised, she's a solid player but she doesn't have the experience of playing at this level like the others. There's also the familiarity in that many of the players chosen have their coaches on the sidelines and they'll be able to get the most out of their players. The only one that really shocked me was Laney over Howard, hopefully that means she's shaken off the rust these past few weeks.
Seeing Austin and not Boston is a surprise to me. Austin is very good and had a great WNBA rookie year but I don't see her being at the level of Boston on any team.

Reaction Score
Seeing Austin and not Boston is a surprise to me. Austin is very good and had a great WNBA rookie year but I don't see her being at the level of Boston on any team.
I can see a case for it, but I think Austin provides a different look and proved to be decent battling amongst the bigs of the W. I think Boston biggest competition would have been Brionna Jones and I can't fault then choosing Jones over her, she'll get her chance in the years to come.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Texas
Maryland/Miss
Rutgers
Duke
Oregon
Maryland
Rutgers
Notre Dame
Washington
Maryland
UConn
S. Carolina

Reaction Score
The commitments as a student are large, but there are several NCAA players who are competing in this tournament, including her teammate Amihere for Canada. Canada's team has at least 3 players who are playing for NCAA teams this season on their roster.

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning Thomas's ability, just her style of play and being added late to a group of players she's never played with. We'll see how CR chooses to use her.

Stewie should be playing the wing, she is a matchup nightmare.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stewie should be playing the wing, she is a matchup nightmare.
She's only played wing for USA Basketball as it is not her natural position. She was MOP of the 2018 World Cup and MVP of the Tokyo Olympics playing out of position.

The toughest part is defensively when she is asked to expend a lot of energy chasing smaller guards on the perimeter.

Reaction Score

Mike Thibault is apart of the coaching staff so that explains Austin.

Reaction Score

i doubt it's that simple. Reeve is the head coach yet Power and McBride didn't make it past training camp in the US.

I could see this being the toughest decision out of all the cuts once they knew who else was available. I don't see choosing either player being a bad decision with this roster. Again, another example where the USA's depth makes the selection process a difficult one as they get closer to deciding the team roster. Not a bad thing at all.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Given the layout of the roster, it could go either way. Of course it all depends on who else among the potential 3s, 4s and 5s gets significant PT besides Wilson. All other options are very inexperienced in major competition. Atkins was on the team in Tokyo but played very little.

1-2: Gray, Plum, Loyd, Ionescu
2-3: Atkins, Laney, Copper
3-4: Stewart
4-5: Wilson, Austin, Jones, Thomas

Cheryl Reeve is an excellent coach but given the severe lack of practice time, we can expect some disjointed basketball.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stewart made the 2014 World Cup roster as a college junior. Odyssey Sims also made the team as a rookie. Those 2 were #11 and #12 in the rotation and they looked every bit of that in the few minutes they played. The roster was so loaded that USA Basketball felt it could add Sims and Stewart to the roster to get their feet wet and witness firsthand what it takes to play in and win a World Cup. Obviously it didn't quite work out for Sims.

Perhaps this year USA Basketball doesn't feel it can bring along players who aren't ready to play and contribute at a high level. The USA roster is just not as loaded as in previous events.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
My guess for starters, by the time we reach finals:

C. Gray
J. Loyd
Atkins or A. Thomas
B. Stewart
A. Wilson

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online