Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
We are now likely less than 2mo away from USA Basketball naming its 12 person roster for the 2022 FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup (Taking place 9/22-10/1). This is also known as the first version of the "post Bird/Fowles (and maybe Taurasi)" USA women's basketball team, ahead of the 2024 Olympics. Team USA has had a ton of different players in camp over the past year, so it will be a really interesting decision for the committee.

Of the 12 people who were on the 2021 Olympic team, it's possible as many as half the team won't be there: Bird & Fowles (retirement); Griner (unlawful detainment); Collier (recovering from maternity leave); potentially Taurasi and Charles (has not attended a USA camp in 2022; also, the committee might be looking to turn the corner).

The other 6 members of the Olympic team who you could see on the roster:
  • Breanna Stewart (LOCK, if healthy)
  • Aja Wilson (LOCK, if healthy)
  • Chelsea Gray (close to LOCK, if healthy)
  • Jewell Loyd (Close to LOCK, if healthy)
  • Ariel Atkins (very good shot at making team)
  • Skylar (she has not been to a camp this year, but is still at top of her game, not sure what to make of her interest/prospects)

Among the other folks who could be considered, with Olympic experience:
  • Kelsey Plum (was on 3x3 team, having MVP style season, I'd think close to a LOCK)
  • EDD (I'd think if healthy, team will want her)
  • Alisha Gray (was on 3x3 team, having an excellent season, great on both sides of the ball
  • Stefanie Dolson (was on 3x3 team, is having an OK season)
  • Jackie Young (was on 3x3 team, having a breakout season, but hasn't been in USA roster pool recently, perhaps due to overseas commitments)
Some other prospects, posts:
  • Dearica Hamby
  • Natasha Howard
  • Brionna Jones
  • Alyssa Thomas
Some other prospects, guards:
  • Kelsey Mitchell
  • Sabrina Ionescu
  • Kahleah Copper
  • Arike
  • Kayla McBride

If I had to make a roster now, based on the dynamics above, here's what I'd guess:

PG: C. Gray/Ionescu
SG: Plum/Loyd/Atkins
SF: EDD/A. Gray
PF: Stewart/A. Thomas
C: Wilson/B. Jones

Last spot would go to Skylar or Hamby. If EDD can't go, I'd want lift up Copper as another SF option.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Selfishly, I would love to see EDD play but I don't fully understand the back issue. With how they're managing her playing time this season, would it be worth it for her to try competing? Does the competition schedule give her and Team USA the flexibility to get enough rest?

It may be a dumb question considering the depth of the roster that USA will have but I'm asking anyways.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
That's a question probably only for EDD to answer. I'm interested in seeing how they manage her playing time during the playoffs, given that will likely be a lot of games in a short amount of time.

Reaction Score
We are now likely less than 2mo away from USA Basketball naming its 12 person roster for the 2022 FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup (Taking place 9/22-10/1). This is also known as the first version of the "post Bird/Fowles (and maybe Taurasi)" USA women's basketball team, ahead of the 2024 Olympics. Team USA has had a ton of different players in camp over the past year, so it will be a really interesting decision for the committee.

Of the 12 people who were on the 2021 Olympic team, it's possible as many as half the team won't be there: Bird & Fowles (retirement); Griner (unlawful detainment); Collier (recovering from maternity leave); potentially Taurasi and Charles (has not attended a USA camp in 2022; also, the committee might be looking to turn the corner).

• Skylar (she has not been to a camp this year, but is still at top of her game, not sure what to make of her interest/prospects)

• Kelsey Plum (was on 3x3 team, having MVP style season, I'd think close to a LOCK)
  • Alisha Gray (was on 3x3 team, having an excellent season, great on both sides of the ball
  • Jackie Young (was on 3x3 team, having a breakout season, but hasn't been in USA roster pool recently, perhaps due to overseas commitments)
  • Dearica Hamby
  • Natasha Howard
  • Brionna Jones
  • Alyssa Thomas
  • Kelsey Mitchell
  • Sabrina Ionescu
  • Kahleah Copper
  • Arike
  • Kayla McBride

If I had to make a roster now, based on the dynamics above, here's what I'd guess:

Last spot would go to Skylar or Hamby. If EDD can't go, I'd want lift up Copper as another SF option.
Brionna Jones, and Alyssa Thomas don't fit the open court style of International play. Both are low post players, not able to step out and defend.
Tina is as good inside and can hit an outside shot.
Hamby, Howard, and Young are better for Team USA.

Reaction Score
I really hadn't given much thought to the tournament but thius squad will also be a transition one with no Bird, Fowles, Griner or Collier at least, possibly no DT or Charles.

I say the 8 left who were on the team last year will be there again if they want to be, any of them. I could see some sitting this out but they won't be told no if they wish to play.

Plum and A. Gray will likely join in. If push came to shove Ionescu would be a good one.

USA basketball should at least ask Nneka and be prepared for whatever answer she could give. If no, they also need another young, frontcourt player. Is it too early to pull N. Smith in there? Hamby may find herself pressed into action too. Gee, it seemed the USA had a lot of front court options but they appear to be shrinking without Griner and EDD.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
USA basketball should at least ask Nneka
If they ask, she should tell them to go fly a kite. Or maybe something worse. She's done everything they've ever asked of her, and her reward was to get left out in the cold for the last Olympics. She owes them absolutely nothing. She's at an age where I have a hard time seeing her being included on the '24 Olympic squad, so why in the world would she want to be a filler player for the roster for FIBA?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Brionna Jones, and Alyssa Thomas don't fit the open court style of International play. Both are low post players, not able to step out and defend.
Tina is as good inside and can hit an outside shot.
Hamby, Howard, and Young are better for Team USA.
You still need some size in international play that can be a beast inside and defend and grab boards. Wilson is the closest thing to a traditional post that the team has, and she can't do it all her own. Hamby/Howard are great players, but they're much more finesse than power. I'd want at least one power/bruiser on my team; that's why i'm particularly partial to B. Jones. Also, Alyssa Thomas can defend just about anybody. She's a game changer for any team.

Reaction Score
There has been plenty of luck in recent cycles with sweeps (should we be betting on that?), but the WNBA Finals would end on the 20th if it goes the distance and the tournament starts on the 22nd. Some international coaches are going to be sweating it out on players in the finals. I would expect that the United States would have plenty of contingency plans once the teams in the finals are decided. Cheryl Reeve seems to be trying to be as patriotic as possible in trying to be available right away with Sandy Brondello seeming to have the same opinion for large parts of the season. I can imagine them reserving a spot or two for players still playing, but I would not expect them to leave four slots for Las Vegas players if the Aces are in contention. The format is 8 games in 10 days so I also do not think that they would reserve a spot for Delle Donne.

Here were the last days of the WNBA season and the start of the tournament in the last three cycles:
2010: September 16th/23rd
2014: September 12th/27th
2018: September 12th/22nd

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
That's an excellent point awhom111 and not what I had considered at all. Also the tournament is in Australia, so it's not like a player can just jump on a flight and be there same day. (Also, does EDD with her back want to fly all the way to Australia?)

If the realistic finals teams come from two of Chicago, Vegas, Seattle, CT, DC, that's potentially A LOT of talent that "could" be tied up until 9/20. That being said, with the new playoff format, the 4th and 5th seeds play in the first round (right now that's DC/CT), and the 2/3 seeds could meet in the semis (right now that's Vegas/Seattle). Worst case scenario for team USA would be a Vegas/Seattle final, but if standings stay the way they are, that wouldn't be possible.

I wonder if this favors players whose teams are unlikely to go far in playoffs (or make them at all), such as SDD, Ionescu, Howard, Kelsey Mitchell, A. Gray, Arike.

Reaction Score
That's an excellent point awhom111 and not what I had considered at all. Also the tournament is in Australia, so it's not like a player can just jump on a flight and be there same day. (Also, does EDD with her back want to fly all the way to Australia?)

If the realistic finals teams come from two of Chicago, Vegas, Seattle, CT, DC, that's potentially A LOT of talent that "could" be tied up until 9/20. That being said, with the new playoff format, the 4th and 5th seeds play in the first round (right now that's DC/CT), and the 2/3 seeds could meet in the semis (right now that's Vegas/Seattle). Worst case scenario for team USA would be a Vegas/Seattle final, but if standings stay the way they are, that wouldn't be possible.

I wonder if this favors players whose teams are unlikely to go far in playoffs (or make them at all), such as SDD, Ionescu, Howard, Kelsey Mitchell, A. Gray, Arike.
Agreed that @awhom111 makes an excellent point. When I read your response, it also made me think that perhaps DT, barring the usual Mercury run, might push a little harder. I'm definitely not arguing that she should be added, but I wonder if it becomes more of a potential scenario.

Reaction Score
If they ask, she should tell them to go fly a kite. Or maybe something worse. She's done everything they've ever asked of her, and her reward was to get left out in the cold for the last Olympics. She owes them absolutely nothing. She's at an age where I have a hard time seeing her being included on the '24 Olympic squad, so why in the world would she want to be a filler player for the roster for FIBA?
Oh I agree. I just think this is a situation where the team really could use her but to not expect her to step in and save things.

Stewart and Wilson need help. Charles will be on the team if she wants to be but there needs to be at least one additional body up front. Griner and EDD were expected to at least be available for another cycle or two but the future is murkey for both and I wouldn't be surprised if they never wore the USA uniform again.

Not saying Nneka should or would but just putting out that she should at least be asked.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Nneka is playing at a first team all WNBA level this year. I wonder if she is still eligible to play for team USA, after asking to be added to the Nigeria team? (though she was denied).

Reaction Score
Nneka is playing at a first team all WNBA level this year. I wonder if she is still eligible to play for team USA, after asking to be added to the Nigeria team? (though she was denied).
I have no idea but I assume one has to actually play for the opposing country to be not eligible to play for the US.

USA basketball unfortunately may have missed out on Nneka's services when they went in other directions. I do think they should ask since Griner and likely EDD are not available this summer. She could of course say no and would be justified in saying so but it never hurts to ask. She may want a WC to go with her WNBA title and she would have a great shot on the USA team.

I always felt the 2020 (later 2021) Olympic team would be the transition squad from the older to younger generations. To an extent that happened but this WC squad will be even more of one.

The USA has a bevy of talent to draw from and Nneka unfortunately got on the outside looking in as have many others. I've never been a big fan of US born and raised players suiting up for other countries but I know why many have done it.

Reaction Score

I don't think she can. After they left her off the team, I believe she decided to become a Nigerian citizen, so she can play for their national team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think she can. After they left her off the team, I believe she decided to become a Nigerian citizen, so she can play for their national team.
Maybe I am remembering this wrong but wasn't there a question about Nneka's knee being fully 100% at the time of the decision?

Reaction Score
Maybe I am remembering this wrong but wasn't there a question about Nneka's knee being fully 100% at the time of the decision?

If I remember correctly, yes, but they were saying she would be fine to play by the time the games started. They compared it to Dee.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The core of the team is A'ja and Stewie. I think Jewell is next. I think Tina is a near lock--she's been devoted to USA Basketball and is really good still. Plus, we might not have Griner, Fowles, or EDD, so we need experienced height. I like Plum. She has really improved her game. Both Sue and Dee are possible; it depends on what they want. Nneka is certainly good enough, despite her age. But the attempt to play for Nigeria might hurt her. I don't see Chelsea Gray as a lock at all, even if Sue and Dee are not on the team. I see Jackie Young instead. I wouldn't be surprised to se Aaliyah Boston on the team, given the many absences. Phee will be back in 2024, but I don't expect her to be ready this year. Atkins is a real possibility again, as is Skylar. I don't know if Copper has any USAB history, but she's dynamic. I like A. Gray's game. Stef could be on the team, almost by default.

Will Cambage be playing? She offended her teammates in the past. If not, Australia may not be as tough, though Ezi is certainly improving. With the likely absences, the USA won't be as tough in the post as in the past.

As a reminder, Australia is on the other side of the dateline. Anyone playing on Sept. 20 cannot get to Australia until Sept. 22--and she would be very jet lagged.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray is pretty much the only person with experience playing PG for team USA. That's why I consider her close to a lock.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
i don't know if she's ever played for USA Basketball in any capacity, but what about Natasha Cloud? Clearly one of the better PG in the WNBA currently.

Reaction Score
The core of the team is A'ja and Stewie. I think Jewell is next. I think Tina is a near lock--she's been devoted to USA Basketball and is really good still. Plus, we might not have Griner, Fowles, or EDD, so we need experienced height. I like Plum. She has really improved her game. Both Sue and Dee are possible; it depends on what they want. Nneka is certainly good enough, despite her age. But the attempt to play for Nigeria might hurt her. I don't see Chelsea Gray as a lock at all, even if Sue and Dee are not on the team. I see Jackie Young instead. I wouldn't be surprised to se Aaliyah Boston on the team, given the many absences. Phee will be back in 2024, but I don't expect her to be ready this year. Atkins is a real possibility again, as is Skylar. I don't know if Copper has any USAB history, but she's dynamic. I like A. Gray's game. Stef could be on the team, almost by default.

Will Cambage be playing? She offended her teammates in the past. If not, Australia may not be as tough, though Ezi is certainly improving. With the likely absences, the USA won't be as tough in the post as in the past.

As a reminder, Australia is on the other side of the dateline. Anyone playing on Sept. 20 cannot get to Australia until Sept. 22--and she would be very jet lagged.

Sue and Fowles will not be back. Both have said that. I don't think Nneka can play for the US. Won't Boston be in school? Has there ever been a college athlete play while still playing for their college?

Cambage is done but Lauren Jackson is back!

Reaction Score
Sue and Fowles will not be back. Both have said that. I don't think Nneka can play for the US. Won't Boston be in school? Has there ever been a college athlete play while still playing for their college?

Cambage is done but Lauren Jackson is back!
For a US team? Good question but I'm sure it's possible since international D1 athletes are allowed. I've seen several Canadians do this while in college.

I expect to see a few to try out for the Canadian squad for this upcoming event. The team is also going through their own transition from old guard to new. Wouldn't be surprised if we were to see Amihere, Pellington, Edwards and Russell as part of the Canadian roster.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Boston is super good, and maybe they take her with the assumption she'll be a major player in 2024. But if we're talking about who's ready right now, I'd prefer the WNBA players--Briona Jones, Alyssa Thomas, Natasha Howard, Dearica Hamby, even Dolson.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

• Dearica Hamby
  • Natasha Howard
  • Brionna Jones
  • Alyssa Thomas
  • Kelsey Mitchell
  • Sabrina Ionescu
  • Kahleah Copper
  • Arike
  • Kayla McBride

First time in my lifetime seeing just 1 likely UCONN/Tennessee player in the mix (though Charles/Taurasi could get spots due to experience).

I think Diggins-Smith is a lock if she's up for it. Ionescu and Plum too. I'd be surprised if EDD suits up considering how little she's played the last few years, though she'd be a huge weapon for team USA. Nneka will likely be offered a spot and I think she takes it.

I do think it'd be smart of USA basketball to give serious consideration to collegiate standouts like Aliyah Boston, Paige Bueckers and Caitlin Clark. There isn't a ton of room in the backcourt but those 3 are the future of USA basketball and women's basketball in general. Boston especially graduates next year and I think a spot would be better used on her over the likes of Brionna Jones or Alyssa Thomas.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
For a US team? Good question but I'm sure it's possible since international D1 athletes are allowed. I've seen several Canadians do this while in college.

I expect to see a few to try out for the Canadian squad for this upcoming event. The team is also going through their own transition from old guard to new. Wouldn't be surprised if we were to see Amihere, Pellington, Edwards and Russell as part of the Canadian roster.

The very best of the best have played in FIBA Worlds collegiately...Breanna Stewart in 2014, Maya Moore in 2010, Candace Parker in 2006, and Chamique Holdsclaw in 1998. I don't know of any others for USA, but that's about as elite of a group as you'll find.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The very best of the best have played in the pros collegiately...Breanna Stewart in 2014, Maya Moore in 2010, Candace Parker in 2006, and Chamique Holdsclaw in 1998. I don't know of any others for USA, but that's about as elite of a group as you'll find.
I think you mean FIBA / Olympic competitions, correct?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom