Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

Reaction Score
Lots of familiar names on the Canadian roster. And great to see Kia Nurse back.

Who are your projected starters @cancontent ?

Hmmmmm. I see a few scenarios:

1) Nurse, Carleton, Colley, Achonwa and Alexander.

2) Nurse, Carleton, Colley, Achonwa and Amihere.

3) Carleton, Colley, Fields, Achonwa and Alexander/Amihere (with Nurse coming off the bench and easing into things).

Reaction Score
My guess for starters, by the time we reach finals:

C. Gray
J. Loyd
Atkins or A. Thomas
B. Stewart
A. Wilson
Atkins will start ahead of Lloyd at SG

Reaction Score
Thoughts about this "power ranking" from FIBA? @awhom111 ?

Japan have won the last 5 Asia Cups, the last 3 of which Australia played in (1 x Silver, 2 x Bronze).

Australia narrowly beat both France and Belgium in the 'Test' games in the lead up to the start of the tournament but even with all their WNBA players, I don't see them as the second best team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas is the most curious late addition. Her style of play is unique and not one that easily melds with new teammates. This will be her first time playing for USA Basketball since the U19 team in 2011.

Some of the late additions may eventually start but maybe not in Game 1 which is tomorrow night at 8:30 pm.

Very surprised Boston did not make the team. I wonder what Dawn thinks about that.
She played in the last two competitive-ish games for the United States:
Japan have won the last 5 Asia Cups, the last 3 of which Australia played in (1 x Silver, 2 x Bronze).

They narrowly beat both France and Belgium in the 'Test' games in the lead up to the start of the tournament but even with all their WNBA players, I don't see them as the second best team.
Yeah, I'm fine with using Power Rankings to make a bold prediction, but Japan has proven several times that, even with changes in coaching and personnel, they should be considered the top of the three Asia-Oceania powers until one of the other two actually defeats them.

I think it could be rough for France if the coaching staff really has not figured anything out, but they have pretty good depth so it is hard to see even the loss of so many players sinking them so far. Serbia is missing stars, but they still have a ton of experience and excellent coaching.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewart made the 2014 World Cup roster as a college junior. Odyssey Sims also made the team as a rookie. Those 2 were #11 and #12 in the rotation and they looked every bit of that in the few minutes they played. The roster was so loaded that USA Basketball felt it could add Sims and Stewart to the roster to get their feet wet and witness firsthand what it takes to play in and win a World Cup. Obviously it didn't quite work out for Sims.

Perhaps this year USA Basketball doesn't feel it can bring along players who aren't ready to play and contribute at a high level. The USA roster is just not as loaded as in previous events.

The 2016 team was arguably the best ever. Geno said he normally gets nervous at the Olympics, because it's a must-win situation. But when he saw Breanna Stewart and Elena Delle Donne (and Tamika Catchings) at the end of the bench, he felt better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The USA will open against Belgium, possibly with only 7 or 8 players. Very tough!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The USA will open against Belgium, possibly with only 7 or 8 players. Very tough!
Here is the complete US pool play schedule.

Team USA vs. Belgium | Wednesday, Sept. 21, 9:30 p.m. ET | ESPN+
Team USA vs. Puerto Rico | Thursday, Sept. 22, 8:30 p.m. ET | ESPN+
Team USA vs. China | Saturday, Sept. 24, 12:30 a.m. ET | ESPN+
Team USA vs. South Korea | Monday, Sept. 26, 12 a.m. ET | ESPN+
Team USA vs. Bosnia and Herzegovina | Wednesday, Sept. 28, 12 a.m. ET | ESPN+

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Given the layout of the roster, it could go either way. Of course it all depends on who else among the potential 3s, 4s and 5s gets significant PT besides Wilson. All other options are very inexperienced in major competition. Atkins was on the team in Tokyo but played very little.

1-2: Gray, Plum, Loyd, Ionescu
2-3: Atkins, Laney, Copper
3-4: Stewart
4-5: Wilson, Austin, Jones, Thomas

Cheryl Reeve is an excellent coach but given the severe lack of practice time, we can expect some disjointed basketball.
Perhaps this year USA Basketball doesn't feel it can bring along players who aren't ready to play and contribute at a high level. The USA roster is just not as loaded as in previous events.
The "2-3" positions are ones that I'm scratching my head at a bit -- along with Thomas (who UConnCat brought up, as well -- for this team. There seems to be a bit of replication at that position with Atkins and Laney & Copper (no shade intended to Rutgers), particularly since the latter two have little experience at a tourney like this.

Could Stewie play out of position against larger teams at the 3? Or, against smaller teams, do you have Gray run the point and play some combination of Loyd, Ionescu and/or the 2-3's listed.

Still, this feels like a transitional team -- assembled as much due to circumstances -- as much as anything else. Think the next iteration (for following Olympics) will be the new benchmark.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Thanks for this!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

I am showing the US v China game is now on ESPN2

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The "2-3" positions are ones that I'm scratching my head at a bit -- along with Thomas (who UConnCat brought up, as well -- for this team. There seems to be a bit of replication at that position with Atkins and Laney & Copper (no shade intended to Rutgers), particularly since the latter two have little experience at a tourney like this.

Could Stewie play out of position against larger teams at the 3? Or, against smaller teams, do you have Gray run the point and play some combination of Loyd, Ionescu and/or the 2-3's listed.

Still, this feels like a transitional team -- assembled as much due to circumstances -- as much as anything else. Think the next iteration (for following Olympics) will be the new benchmark.
On the replication at the 2-3: Atkins (5'8) is actually significantly shorter than Laney (6ft--has played from PG to PF for the Liberty) and Copper (6-1). Apparently Atkins was playing some PG for the team before Gray arrived as well.

I see Atkins has more of a true guard and long range threat. Laney is a bruiser who loves to post up and the mid range shot. Copper is the slasher.

The other options for USA at these positions were Deshields, Rhyne Howard, and Jackie Young. I don't think Deshields of Howard get you anything different than Copper and LAney. You can certainly argue Young deserves to get in over one of them, she's kind of like a combo of all three players (Atkins/Copper/Laney), but perhaps team USA didn't want to go into the tournament down 4 players [instead of 3].

Reaction Score
We should remember that Gray can play the 3 and ( depending on the matchups ) even the 4 in a pinch defensively. She could play the point on offense and switch on defense.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am showing the US v China game is now on ESPN2
Also showing the Sunday night game(midnight EDT going to Monday) vs Korea is also showing on my channel listing on ESPN2.

Also show the Final game on 10/1 Saturday morning at 2am EDT on ESPN2

Reaction Score
Maybe to start, but I don't see it by the time they get to the actual tournament.
I think she will , she showed it during the olympics and shes more consistent on both ends of the ball. She's a better defender than Lloyd and i would say their shooting is about equal. Lloyd is streaky but she does not play with the same confidence with Team usa as she does in the WNBA. That's what im interested in seeing from a few of these ladies mainly Alyssa Thomas.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
On the replication at the 2-3: Atkins (5'8) is actually significantly shorter than Laney (6ft--has played from PG to PF for the Liberty) and Copper (6-1). Apparently Atkins was playing some PG for the team before Gray arrived as well.

I see Atkins has more of a true guard and long range threat. Laney is a bruiser who loves to post up and the mid range shot. Copper is the slasher.

The other options for USA at these positions were Deshields, Rhyne Howard, and Jackie Young. I don't think Deshields of Howard get you anything different than Copper and LAney. You can certainly argue Young deserves to get in over one of them, she's kind of like a combo of all three players (Atkins/Copper/Laney), but perhaps team USA didn't want to go into the tournament down 4 players [instead of 3].
Good points. Just a few (quick) comebackers:
- Yes, Jackie Young would be the synthesis of Copper, Laney and/or Atkins. Like you said, maybe the U.S.A. selection committee didn't want to take a chance on too many Aces showing up right at the start/late for the show.
I suspect we'll see Young in the mix after the World Cup and leading up to the Olympics.
  • Once again, I'm not trying to throw any shade whatsoever on Laney and/or Copper. I live in Jersey, as well, and think it's great to see these Rutgers products make their mark.
  • The overall mix of the team just seems like whatever was left in the 'fridge was put together with some very good basics, in terms of tried and true recipes. I think it''ll be more than fine in most instances.
  • However, I think the pool will expand and be vetted extensively in 2023 and early 2024.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Didn't think you were throwing any shade, was just pointing out I think their games are more different than you initially implied. [I also didn't realize how short Atkins is]

I definitely expect there to be a broader net for 2024, most notably people who weren't involved this round for various injury/personal reasons: Collier, Arike, A. Gray, Azura Stevens. McCowan, Kelsey Mitchell. From the college ranks: Boston, maybe Bueckers and Clark.

Unclear what SDD and EDD's futures are with the team, for different reasons.

Reaction Score
Didn't think you were throwing any shade, was just pointing out I think their games are more different than you initially implied. [I also didn't realize how short Atkins is]

I definitely expect there to be a broader net for 2024, most notably people who weren't involved this round for various injury/personal reasons: Collier, Arike, A. Gray, Azura Stevens. McCowan, Kelsey Mitchell. From the college ranks: Boston, maybe Bueckers and Clark.

Unclear what SDD and EDD's futures are with the team, for different reasons.
Skylar was at the end of the Olympic bench, she doesn't fit well in Fiba.
Our biggest strength is the frontcourt in Fiba play.
Sue and former USA point guards set the table for the rest of the team, and we're secondary scorers.
Skylar doesn't play in that mold, and that's why Sue, Gray, and Loyd, and Diana were the ones that played in the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Skylar was at the end of the Olympic bench, she doesn't fit well in Fiba.
Our biggest strength is the frontcourt in Fiba play.
Sue and former USA point guards set the table for the rest of the team, and we're secondary scorers.
Skylar doesn't play in that mold, and that's why Sue, Gray, and Loyd, and Diana were the ones that played in the Olympics.
Skylar played like a deer in headlights during the olympics , not sure if it were nerves but she was not the same player she was this past WNBA season . Unfortunately a few players tend to get shaky during international competition versus WNBA season . This group im as nervous as ever with that as a possibility lurking.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Skylar played like a deer in headlights during the olympics , not sure if it were nerves but she was not the same player she was this past WNBA season . Unfortunately a few players tend to get shaky during international competition versus WNBA season . This group im as nervous as ever with that as a possibility lurking.
Speaking of her, is there a reason she didn't join the camp? Did she just opt out? (Sorry of this was covered upthread; I haven't read all the thread carefully.)

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I find it alarming that some people think a victory parade in Las Vegas is more important than joining the team in Australia:

"Five players named to the World Cup team competed in the WNBA Finals that ended Sunday, and they’re trying to make their way to Sydney. Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas played for the Connecticut Sun, which lost the finals, and may get to Team USA before A’Ja Wilson, Chelsea Gray, and Kelsey Plum of the champion Aces can make it after celebrating their championship parade Tuesday in Las Vegas."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I find it alarming that some people think a victory parade in Las Vegas is more important than joining the team in Australia:

"Five players named to the World Cup team competed in the WNBA Finals that ended Sunday, and they’re trying to make their way to Sydney. Brionna Jones and Alyssa Thomas played for the Connecticut Sun, which lost the finals, and may get to Team USA before A’Ja Wilson, Chelsea Gray, and Kelsey Plum of the champion Aces can make it after celebrating their championship parade Tuesday in Las Vegas."

After watching JJ for Bosnia-Herzegovina, she looks wiped. PR up 31-16 after 1Q.

Cant expect much from any of the newbies

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom