Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I find it alarming that some people think a victory parade in Las Vegas is more important than joining the team in Australia
They worked hard all season for this, as well as throughout their careers. Why shouldn't they get to enjoy the victory celebration with their city?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They worked hard all season for this, as well as throughout their careers. Why shouldn't they get to enjoy the victory celebration with their city?
Uh, because they have a game to play. Are they on the team or are they not?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
First major professional sports Championship for the city of Las Vegas. Gray was the only player on the team with a previous WNBA Title. It's kind of a big deal. Are they members of the Aces or are they not?

Plebe

Reaction Score
First major professional sports Championship for the city of Las Vegas. Gray was the only player on the team with a previous WNBA Title. It's kind of a big deal. Are they members of the Aces or are they not?
A parade?! I can't believe this is an argument. If it's that important they can hold it after they get back. If the residents of Las Vegas are really proud of their team, they can surely also be proud that their star players have a plane to catch to Australia.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If the series went to Game 5, it would've been on Tuesday. Would the 5 players from the U.S. team have not been picked if the WNBA Finals had been extended 1 more game?

Reaction Score
Hmmmmm. I see a few scenarios:

1) Nurse, Carleton, Colley, Achonwa and Alexander.

2) Nurse, Carleton, Colley, Achonwa and Amihere.

3) Carleton, Colley, Fields, Achonwa and Alexander/Amihere (with Nurse coming off the bench and easing into things).
@Plebe these are tonight's starters.

Reaction Score
Nurse started but played only 8:36 in 1st half, had 7 points and 2 assists.

Canada up by 10 at the half over Serbia.
Per the broadcast, they have Nurse on a minutes count. Played just under 20 minutes.

Makes sense considering this was her first game since last year and they were playing Serbia, who are very physical.

Reaction Score
A parade?! I can't believe this is an argument. If it's that important they can hold it after they get back. If the residents of Las Vegas are really proud of their team, they can surely also be proud that their star players have a plane to catch to Australia.
You're talking about having a parade at least 2+ weeks after the finals, well after the hype and excitement of the finals have died down. Having the event take place in a timely manner was crucial in taking advantage of the dwindling spotlight, especially in a league that barely gets that much mainstream attention in general. It was important to have event as soon as possible and to have stars/franchise players present.

This was huge for the city and it was even bigger for the Aces organization as they attempt to garner more exposure and grow their fandom. This wasn't just some victory parade, this was a marketing event that could birth lifelong Aces fans .

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Also, the schedule overlap is mostly the fault of the WNBA and its schedule (adding two regular season games), which since the beginning was going to run up against the world cup. Everyone could see this coming for months, and I'm sure USA basketball was not only prepared, but were in regular touch with Thomas, B. Jones, Wilson, Gray, and Plum on their schedules and what made sense for both them and the team. [Worst case scenario for USA basketball would have been a Storm/Aces final, going to 5 games].

They are on their way to Sydney now. I 100% believe that Plum/Gray/Wilson will show up in Sydney in a much better place physically and mentally having had 3, yes, just 3, days to recover from a grueling season and playoffs. With a shorter roster, it also gives the 6 new players to the national team (Copper, Ionescu, Laney, Thomas, Jones, Austin) valuable experience and playing time that could very well help the team in the later rounds.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Per the broadcast, they have Nurse on a minutes count. Played just under 20 minutes.

Makes sense considering this was her first game since last year and they were playing Serbia, who are very physical.
Kia looked great getting into the paint. I think she also added some muscle.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
An overly humble Gabby? with the loss of best player Johannes (although she corrected to Offensive player)

Reaction Score
Team USA's defense is currently better than their offense.

Stewie was Stewie, AT was very effective, especially considering she literally just stepped off the plane in Australia.
Copper was a beast on the defensive end. Interesting that Loyd, Atkins, AT etc ran the point. I guess Cheryl trusts them more than Ionescu, at least until Gray and Plum arrive.

I was surprised by the physicality of the Belgian team. Poor Bri Jones couldn’t get a call in her favor to save her life :confused:

Reaction Score
Team USA's defense is currently better than their offense.

Stewie was Stewie, AT was very effective, especially considering she literally just stepped off the plane in Australia.
Copper was a beast on the defensive end. Interesting that Loyd, Atkins, AT etc ran the point. I guess Cheryl trusts them more than Ionescu, at least until Gray and Plum arrive.

I was surprised by the physicality of the Belgian team. Poor Bri Jones couldn’t get a call in her favor to save her life :confused:
I thought they were pretty physical during the Olympics from what I remember watching.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought they were pretty physical during the Olympics from what I remember watching.
I was surprised how limited Meeseman and Allamond were.

Reaction Score
FIBA schedules and results.

Reaction Score
Well Coach Reeve seemed to think they deserve the break for working hard to win the title so that's that.....

Reaction Score
If you have access to ESPN+ you can watch it on demeand on the app.
I live in Canada so I think it's Courtside 1891. ESPN+ isn't available here (Canadian regulations thing).

Canada's games are being broadcast on SportsNet, but I don't see the rest of the tournament as part of their schedule :(

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stewart was her usual stellar self, Loyd had a good game, but the eye-opener for me was Alyssa Thomas, who seemed to be everywhere and would've likely had a triple-double if she'd been needed to play more in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
Stewart was her usual stellar self, Loyd had a good game, but the eye-opener for me was Alyssa Thomas, who seemed to be everywhere and would've likely had a triple-double if she'd been needed to play more in the 4th quarter.
For Connecticut in the WNBA replace Bonner with Stewie, and you win the championship. Unlike JJ Stewie doesn't go through games where she does nothing.
Stewie and EDD when healthy can bring the ball up the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom