Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

Reaction Score
Eh, I really like Phee but she hasn't proven herself on the world stage yet like AT has in this tournament. Sure she was a part of the Olympic team but she didn't contribute much to be guaranteed a spot over someone like AT.
AT has been incredible all tournament even more so last night.

Reaction Score
The difference with AT on the roster is that it gives you 3 of the most dominate defenders in the world on the floor at the same time. Our opponent has to be great at shooting 3s because the inside and short game is Negated by our defense. I love this team and they are fun to watch. Can you imagine Boston, Paige and Caitlin Clarke on this team in the near future? Team USA is in great hands.

Reaction Score
The difference with AT on the roster is that it gives you 3 of the most dominate defenders in the world on the floor at the same time. Our opponent has to be great at shooting 3s because the inside and short game is Negated by our defense. I love this team and they are fun to watch. Can you imagine Boston, Paige and Caitlin Clarke on this team in the near future? Team USA is in great hands.
There is a reason Ionescu is the 5th guard off the bench Gray, Loyd, Atkins are good at defense, and Plum is getting better.
Thomas, Stewie,and even A'ja can handle the ball and start the offense. Copper, and Laney are in that mold.
This team outside of Jones and Atkins is positionless.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I guess I'm sort of on the "if in ain't broke, don't fix it" side here. I think the committee (and Reeves) have done an absolutely terrific job assembling and coaching this team, and it's difficult for me to imagine how adding Boston or even Clarke or Paige would make it much better. To me, it's at least as impressive as any USA team of the recent past.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm sort of on the "if in ain't broke, don't fix it" side here. I think the committee (and Reeves) have done an absolutely terrific job assembling and coaching this team, and it's difficult for me to imagine how adding Boston or even Clarke or Paige would make it much better. To me, it's at least as impressive as any USA team of the recent past.
Yes, after so much skepticism on this very board, it is fun to see different players showing what they can do.

Reaction Score
I am mainly referring to the future. There was a lot of hand wringing when the older players ran out of time. I think USA basketball will be fine. I enjoy watching the energy of this team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Coach Reeves agree's

That's pretty interesting. So Reeve reached out to Alyssa soon after getting the HC job because she saw her as a good fit with her vision for the team. Good call, coach!

Jewell Loyd's comments about AT are spot-on:

"Her energy's spectacular," said Loyd, Thomas' breakfast buddy in the mornings during the World Cup. "Her tenacity on defense, her IQ on offense. She's always in the right spot all the time, and she doesn't care about herself. It's always about, 'How can I get other people involved?' and she's just never tired. ... It's so fun to watch her."​

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Of course, injuries will play a role, but I expect about 8-9 players from this year's team to make the 2024 Olympic team. The team looked solid, especially the top 8-9.
More than solid. They were dominant for the most part. Set numerous records (I think just for World Cup events). Most points in a game. Biggest winning margin in a game. Least points allowed in a semifinal. Biggest winning margin in a Gold Medal game. Agreed, most of these players should get a long look for the next Olympic team.

Reaction Score
More than solid. They were dominant for the most part. Set numerous records (I think just for World Cup events). Most points in a game. Biggest winning margin in a game. Least points allowed in a semifinal. Biggest winning margin in a Gold Medal game. Agreed, most of these players should get a long look for the next Olympic team.
Glad Reeves reached out to Thomas about getting added to the list for consideration. What an addition to the team. It was also cool to see what the next generation of USA Basketball looks like too.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Gotta figure at least 8 of these players will be on the Paris 2024 roster, barring any injury/pregnancy/foreign imprisonment.

I'm wondering which spots, if any, might open up to two groups of players:

— Established pros who were unavailable for this tournament. The top 3 that come to mind are Griner, Collier and Ogunbowale.

— Current collegiate upperclassmen with very bright futures, most notably Boston, Bueckers and Clark.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Finally got around to watching the replay, because there's no way I was gonna catch this live
Embarassed

The crowd was definitely pro-China although I noticed a few Australian faces rooting for team USA.

Stewie and A'ja were well deserving of all tournament honors, but I wish AT could've received some sort of recognition. She was the cog that fueled USA's defensive machine.

Chelsea's floor game differs from Sue Bird, but she is very capable of leading this team. Those fadeaway jump shots are killer and those passes to A'ja were always on the money. It's not fair, but that is the importance of having multiple wnba team mates on this squad since team USA routinely does not have sufficient time to practice together.

Team USA had a lot of unanswered questions heading into this tournament, however they've answered every single one. Despite not having the full team together until after the tournament started
Shocked
they rocked and rolled. Kudos to Reeve, I've been critical of her in the past, but she did an outstanding job preparing them especially with such a short time together. She utilized her bench a lot more than Staley did.

This was one of the best defensive Team USA teams I've ever seen. AT, Atkins, Copper, Laney, Wilson and Stewie were amazing.

Should be locks for Paris:
Stewie
Chelsea
Kesley (Officially upgraded from 3x3 team)
Ariel
A'ja
Alyssa
Kahleah
Jewell

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

They played a different style. It was almost the Paul Westhead style on offense. They pushed the tempo for all 40 minutes, regardless of the score. They also attacked the basket more, using the strength of the personnel. I think there was less passing than in the past, but the number of assists was still high. They also defended more aggressively, playing more to FIBA rules than WNBA rules. The roster included several of the best defenders in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
They played a different style. It was almost the Paul Westhead style on offense. They pushed the tempo for all 40 minutes, regardless of the score. They also attacked the basket more, using the strength of the personnel. I think there was less passing than in the past, but the number of assists was still high. They also defended more aggressively, playing more to FIBA rules than WNBA rules. The roster included several of the best defenders in the WNBA.
This is the future of the USA women's teams in FIBA, great defense leading to easy baskets, and 3 point shooters to spread the floor.

Reaction Score
Gotta figure at least 8 of these players will be on the Paris 2024 roster, barring any injury/pregnancy/foreign imprisonment.

I'm wondering which spots, if any, might open up to two groups of players:

— Established pros who were unavailable for this tournament. The top 3 that come to mind are Griner, Collier and Ogunbowale.

— Current collegiate upperclassmen with very bright futures, most notably Boston, Bueckers and Clark.
It would depend on how these players were seem to mesh chemistry wise with the core group already in place. Throwing together all stars does not always equate to creation of a good team. Many of these players you listed do not really fit in with the already effective style of the present team.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
It would depend on how these players were seem to mesh chemistry wise with the core group already in place. Throwing together all stars does not always equate to creation of a good team. Many of these players you listed do not really fit in with the already effective style of the present team.
I think it's clear that if you want to make the current team (and especially if you want to get playing time), you need to be able to play defense. Griner and Collier can be very good defensive players, and Boston has been good at the NCAA level.

Thinking about Bueckers and Clark, the question is are they going to be bring more to the table than Ionescu, who will have 4+ years of pro experience. Does Arike or A.Gray end up brining more to table than Laney?

Only 7 players from the 2018 World Cup team ended up making the (delayed) 2021 Olympic team. Those who missed out:
EDD (injured)
Nneka (controversially, though she was coming off many injuries)
Plum (on 3x3 team)
Tuck & Clarendon (who even at time seemed like huge reaches).

they were replaced by Syliva Fowles (Who I assume was injured in 2018 or else would have been shoe-in); SDD, C. Gray, Ariel Atkins, and N. Collier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The results and the level of this team did not surprise me much. Many of the last Olympic games team were a tad long in the tooth and although still good, way past their prime. When you have played in the WNBA you are facing the best players in the world. Much higher caliber of players than you see in most of the games. The concept of Olympic experience means very little. These women are not college players but professionals who have played at the highest level possible. China was way better than any team they faced in the Olympics and they were never a threat.

Reaction Score
The results and the level of this team did not surprise me much. Many of the last Olympic games team were a tad long in the tooth and although still good, way past their prime. When you have played in the WNBA you are facing the best players in the world. Much higher caliber of players than you see in most of the games. The concept of Olympic experience means very little. These women are not college players but professionals who have played at the highest level possible. China was way better than any team they faced in the Olympics and they were never a threa
I think it's clear that if you want to make the current team (and especially if you want to get playing time), you need to be able to play defense. Griner and Collier can be very good defensive players, and Boston has been good at the NCAA level.

Thinking about Bueckers and Clark, the question is are they going to be bring more to the table than Ionescu, who will have 4+ years of pro experience. Does Arike or A.Gray end up brining more to table than Laney?

Only 7 players from the 2018 World Cup team ended up making the (delayed) 2021 Olympic team. Those who missed out:
EDD (injured)
Nneka (controversially, though she was coming off many injuries)
Plum (on 3x3 team)
Tuck & Clarendon (who even at time seemed like huge reaches).

they were replaced by Syliva Fowles (Who I assume was injured in 2018 or else would have been shoe-in); SDD, C. Gray, Ariel Atkins, and N. Collier.
Griner is good defensively, but I think she would impact the speed at which this present team played. As would the rest of the afor mentioned posts. They also would not stretch the floor by being able to hit 3's like Stew and Wilson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom