Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

Reaction Score
Here is an article on an analysis of the FIBA World's

It appears not much to worry about for the US

Other medalist hopefuls seem to be China, Japan and Home Australia. No Belgium. France, Cabada mentioned?

Canada still has a fair way to go to be a medalist. The 2020 squad didn't make it out of pool play at the Olympics. The team is also in transition with players like Miranda Ayim, Kim Gaucher, Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe no longer part of the roster. This will also be the first time the team plays for Coach Victor Lapena who took over from Coach Thomaidis.

Kia Nurse is returning to competition since her ACL injury last year. Players like Taya Hanson, Mael Gilles, and Philipina Kyei are competing at this level for the first time. Add in the fact the pool they're in is the "Pool of Death" for this tournament, it's not an easy path.

I'd love to say I could see them in the semis, but it's a lot to ask. If they make it to the quarter finals, that would likely be considered a success based on the roster they have available. They don't have players like Aaliyah Edwards or Shaina Pellington available due to school commitments which would bolster the depth of the roster.

Reaction Score
Here is an article on an analysis of the FIBA World's

It appears not much to worry about for the US

Other medalist hopefuls seem to be China, Japan and Home Australia. No Belgium. France, Cabada mentioned?

The United States is far from the only team with questions marks for this tournament.

Belgium has a new coach and the old coach had two daughters on the team who have not played since the change. Their two most important players have basically missed all of their training camp time.

Bosnia was not very deep to start with, but they are dealing with absences of key players, and of course have no idea when Jonquel Jones can show up and play. Their federation was not even sure that they would have the money to send this team to Australia or have their men's team make it to EuroBasket, but at least figured that part out before the two tournaments.

China is probably the team with the closest to their ideal roster and they have practiced together the most, but they seem to fall short every time they have a chance to get to the next level.

Puerto Rico has a fairly strong roster given the players at their disposal, but it is less talented than the majority of the rest of the teams, having not qualified on results. Their veterans are pretty much out of the picture now and the balance of the roster has shifted from players who have spent nearly all of their lives on the island to players who were born on or spent most of their lives on the mainland, some of whom only have one parent or grandparent with roots on the island, which has historically caused some friction and motivation issues.

South Korea is missing two starters, including their best player.

Australia has not played well in competitive settings for a while even if there are bigger hopes with their roster. Their point guard situation is completely up in the air.

Canada's roster is in major transition as they try to have their younger players grow into the situation. They have managed to get a reasonable amount of practice together at least, especially with a new coach.

France's roster is depleted. Also, their fans had wanted a new coach for a while to shake things up a bit, but the federation seemed to take that as an insult and named a coach that seems to not be quite the right person for the post and his first competitive games have been very rough.

Japan has had a lot of unexpected roster turnover, but their new coach did manage to steer them to a continental championship. At this point, they are less likely to be able to just sneak up on people though.

Mali already had a weaker roster than pretty much everyone having backed into the last spot in the tournament, but the men's national team had a strike over financial arrangements and the dispute is spilling into this team's composition as well.

Serbia had their two longtime leaders retire last year and are missing more players now. The team has depth, but it is not really clear who will step into the leadership void on the big stage.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The United States is far from the only team with questions marks for this tournament.

Belgium has a new coach and the old coach had two daughters on the team who have not played since the change. Their two most important players have basically missed all of their training camp time.

Bosnia was not very deep to start with, but they are dealing with absences of key players, and of course have no idea when Jonquel Jones can show up and play. Their federation was not even sure that they would have the money to send this team to Australia or have their men's team make it to EuroBasket, but at least figured that part out before the two tournaments.

China is probably the team with the closest to their ideal roster and they have practiced together the most, but they seem to fall short every time they have a chance to get to the next level.

Puerto Rico has a fairly strong roster given the players at their disposal, but it is less talented than the majority of the rest of the teams, having not qualified on results. Their veterans are pretty much out of the picture now and the balance of the roster has shifted from players who have spent nearly all of their lives on the island to players who were born on or spent most of their lives on the mainland, some of whom only have one parent or grandparent with roots on the island, which has historically caused some friction and motivation issues.

South Korea is missing two starters, including their best player.

Australia has not played well in competitive settings for a while even if there are bigger hopes with their roster. Their point guard situation is completely up in the air.

Canada's roster is in major transition as they try to have their younger players grow into the situation. They have managed to get a reasonable amount of practice together at least, especially with a new coach.

France's roster is depleted. Also, their fans had wanted a new coach for a while to shake things up a bit, but the federation seemed to take that as an insult and named a coach that seems to not be quite the right person for the post and his first competitive games have been very rough.

Japan has had a lot of unexpected roster turnover, but their new coach did manage to steer them to a continental championship. At this point, they are less likely to be able to just sneak up on people though.

Mali already had a weaker roster than pretty much everyone having backed into the last spot in the tournament, but the men's national team had a strike over financial arrangements and the dispute is spilling into this team's composition as well.

Serbia had their two longtime leaders retire last year and are missing more players now. The team has depth, but it is not really clear who will step into the leadership void on the big stage.
You are a guru. Well done. Someone needs to hire you or give you a podcast and YT channel. Great compilation and overview.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. Sure, the Olympics are more prestigious but to suggest that World Cups are a lot less important is just not accurate. Sue Bird still talks about the hurt of losing at the 2006 World Cup. I've had the good fortune to attend two World Cups (Istanbul in 2014 and Tenerife in 2018) and a few things stood out to me. The competition in those games is intense. The other countries care deeply about the World Cup and from what I witnessed Team USA cares just as much. The crowds are boisterous. I'd love for the US to host a World Cup. It's just basketball and a lot of fun.
You are entitled to disagree but im sure majority in the United States agree . Sue said that because they Loss . A Loss is always painful and memorable when you rarely ever lose ya know lol ?

Reaction Score
My guess for final 12 would be Atkins, Austin, Boston, Copper, Dolson, Gray, Ionescu, Loyd, Plum, Stewart, Thomas, Wilson.

Reaction Score
Canada Basketball

The official roster for Canada has been announced. How in the world does Amihere go from 6'4" to 6'1"? I've met her in person and I'm 6'1". Someone in the head office needs to get their hand slapped for this typo.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Canada Basketball

The official roster for Canada has been announced. How in the world does Amihere go from 6'4" to 6'1"? I've met her in person and I'm 6'1". Someone in the head office needs to get their hand slapped for this typo.
So, Cassandre Prosper was one of the last three cuts for Canada's national senior team. Pretty good run for a rising HS senior. Now all interested colleges can see she wants to make an Official Visit to their college campus!;)

Reaction Score
When does the first game tip off ? Iknow its only on ESPN plus sucks but youtube is pretty good about uploading games to their Fiba page so ill be watching there.

Reaction Score
So, Cassandre Prosper was one of the last three cuts for Canada's national senior team. Pretty good run for a rising HS senior. Now all interested colleges can see she wants to make an Official Visit to their college campus!;)
I don't know if she was a real consideration for this tournament. Based on the invite list and final roster, she was in tough to make the squad in all reality. But to work against these players makes her that much more dangerous this upcoming OSBA season.

Impression I got was that this was more to get her prepped for this level than anything else. This was the approach they took with Aaliyah Edwards and Merissah Russell when they started to train with the senior team while in high school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My guess for final 12 would be Atkins, Austin, Boston, Copper, Dolson, Gray, Ionescu, Loyd, Plum, Stewart, Thomas, Wilson.
Competition starts Thursday morning (Sydney +14 hours) so final rosters are due sometime Wednesday. We'll probably know via social media whether Plum, Wilson and/or Gray are headed down under.

Reaction Score
Canada Basketball

It's been like that since last year during the Americup. I can only assume someone was using the numpad and accidentally hit 1 and it never got fixed.

Reaction Score
It's been like that since last year during the Americup. I can only assume someone was using the numpad and accidentally hit 1 and it never got fixed.
UGH............................considering she's been part of their development program and the National Team as long as she has, you'd hope someone would catch it.
Come On Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Competition starts Thursday morning (Sydney +14 hours) so final rosters are due sometime Wednesday. We'll probably know via social media whether Plum, Wilson and/or Gray are headed down under.
Believe it has to be Tuesday as FIBA cut of is 48 hours prior to the tournament.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Believe it has to be Tuesday as FIBA cut of is 48 hours prior to the tournament.
Where do the FIBA regs say it's 48 hours? The regs say final rosters must be submitted by the Technical Meeting (whatever that is). I found this from an article on the FIBA site:

Final rosters will be confirmed following the official Technical Meeting, which is set to take place on the eve of the event.

Reaction Score
Where do the FIBA regs say it's 48 hours? The regs say final rosters must be submitted by the Technical Meeting (whatever that is). I found this from an article on the FIBA site:

Final rosters will be confirmed following the official Technical Meeting, which is set to take place on the eve of the event.
There was an article on ESPN's site where they referenced the 48 hour dead line. I recall including it in a previous post. I'm trying to find it.

Reaction Score

1663611359779.png

I had posted it in an earlier portion of this thread. Post# 112.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
View attachment 79167
I had posted it in an earlier portion of this thread. Post# 112.
I did see that but the 48 hours is nowhere in FIBA's regulations. The regulations say:

Each National Member Federation shall submit a Final Team Delegation Roster at the latest at the Technical Meeting of the teams prior to the beginning of the competition

Perhaps ESPN has been told the Technical Meeting(s) will take place on Tuesday. At this point it has to be either Tuesday or Wednesday. Teams of course are free to announce their final rosters any time, as Canada did today.

Reaction Score
The final roster is really solid and really feel for the players that made the trip to get cut at the last minute. I just don't know how ideal it is to have almost half of your team to travel halfway across the world and play together and build chemistry against top teams.

Reaction Score
Five late changes is a lot, but I guess the players really want to be there. I guess they will never tell us what the plan was if there was a Game 5.
I did see that but the 48 hours is nowhere in FIBA's regulations. The regulations say:

Each National Member Federation shall submit a Final Team Delegation Roster at the latest at the Technical Meeting of the teams prior to the beginning of the competition

Perhaps ESPN has been told the Technical Meeting(s) will take place on Tuesday. At this point it has to be either Tuesday or Wednesday. Teams of course are free to announce their final rosters any time, as Canada did today.
I suspect ESPN was just confused by timezones. A Wednesday morning technical meeting in Australia ahead of games on Thursday would be Tuesday night in the United States. Technical meetings are usually the day before the games so that teams can replace players last minute if there are injuries in practice.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Five late changes is a lot, but I guess the players really want to be there. I guess they will never tell us what the plan was if there was a Game 5.

I suspect ESPN was just confused by timezones. A Wednesday morning technical meeting in Australia ahead of games on Thursday would be Tuesday night in the United States. Technical meetings are usually the day before the games so that teams can replace players last minute if there are injuries in practice.
Five late additions is a lot. That's one short of half the roster being available for maybe one practice before the first game. And that's after making the long trip to Australia. Perhaps Curt Miller and Rizzotti pushed hard for adding the 2 Sun players.

Reaction Score
Five late additions is a lot. That's one short of half the roster being available for maybe one practice before the first game. And that's after making the long trip to Australia. Perhaps Curt Miller and Rizzotti pushed hard for adding the 2 Sun players.
Or workouts looked worrisome, so this was the best option

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
5 late additions is a lot, but Wilson, Gray, Plum, B. Jones, and A. Thomas are worth the wait (interestingly, the committee must have felt they had what they needed at J. Young's position). Wouldn't be surprised if three of those 5 end up starting.

FYI, the last 6 cuts: Boston, DeShields, Dolson, R. Howard, N. Smith, J. Young.

Despite not making the team, you have to imagine it's a great experience for young players like Boston, Howard and Smith.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
5 late additions is a lot, but Wilson, Gray, Plum, B. Jones, and A. Thomas are worth the wait (interestingly, the committee must have felt they had what they needed at J. Young's position). Wouldn't be surprised if three of those 5 end up starting.

FYI, the last 6 cuts: Boston, DeShields, Dolson, R. Howard, N. Smith, J. Young.

Despite not making the team, you have to imagine it's a great experience for young players like Boston, Howard and Smith.
Alyssa Thomas is the most curious late addition. Her style of play is unique and not one that easily melds with new teammates. This will be her first time playing for USA Basketball since the U19 team in 2011.

Some of the late additions may eventually start but maybe not in Game 1 which is tomorrow night at 8:30 pm.

Very surprised Boston did not make the team. I wonder what Dawn thinks about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom