Who is the team to beat next Year? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Who is the team to beat next Year?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's funny how Frese seems to slip through the cracks when people are talking about the top coaches. She lost what, four or five players, and still took them to the Elite Eight? Her track record is amazing: nine NCAA tournament berths, six 25+ win seasons, four 30+ win seasons, four Elite Eights, a Final Four appearance and the 2006 National Championship. She, Geno, Dawn, and Kim are the top coaches right now.

Agree with this but you're underselling Frese. In 21 years at Maryland she has:
1 Championship
3 Final Fours
7 Elite 8s
7 30+ win seasons
15 25+ win seasons
19 straight tournament births (plus they would've been a 1 seed in 2020 if the tournament happened)

I wouldn't put her at the level of Dawn/Geno/Kim/Tara but I think she's just below them along with Jeff Walz and Vic Schaefer. No matter the hurdles she always puts together excellent seasons at Maryland.

Reaction Score
Even with Boston gone to the wnba, they will still have a formidable front court. When you have a6’7” post it spells trouble for the competition.
Depends if Amihere leaves..........from what I've seen Cardoso doesn't have the stamina to play an entire game

Reaction Score
Paige has potentially 3 more years at UConn, counting a redshirt for this season plus a Covid year. I don't know how long she'll stay, but it could be more than next year.
Not sure the appellation is true, but I saw a video on the Net saying that Paige was already worth 5 mil. She could be worth 10 mil if she maxes out her stay at UConn if this is so.

Reaction Score
It's too early to make these predictions without knowing where the transfers are going....Last season the espn way too early top 25 had Iowa 6th, VT 11th, and LSU 14th....All 3 teams made the final 4...Of course, injuries will play a big role in which team makes the final 4

Reaction Score
She doen't have everyone coming back

LSU has the #1 combo guard (Mikayla Williams) and the #1 post player( 6'6 Aalyah Del Rosario) coming in...and you know Mulkey will try to acquire more transfers.

Geno needs to step his recruiting/transfer game up and add some quality talent...The last thing I was to see is Mulkey/Staley win another championship in the very near future.

Reaction Score
She doen't have everyone coming back
She has everyone that they need coming back and a bunch coming in to build with. They are losing a couple players but not enough to impact the quality of the team. Like I said Kim is also one of the best to ever coach.

Reaction Score
LSU has the #1 combo guard (Mikayla Williams) and the #1 post player( 6'6 Aalyah Del Rosario) coming in...and you know Mulkey will try to acquire more transfers.

Geno needs to step his recruiting/transfer game up and add some quality talent...The last thing I was to see is Mulkey/Staley win another championship in the very near future.

"step up his recruiting/transfer game". What exactly do you mean by that? How do you suggest he step it up?

Reaction Score
Hard to root for LSU but they deserved this win .. Kim isn’t going away anytime soon.. as long as they whoop SC ever year I’m a happy person
Haven't whipped them yet. lol

Reaction Score
They’ll likely lose their whole starting lineup and 6 of their top 8.
Yes. but Raven Johnson, Bree Hall and Carodoza were a great part of their high scoriing bench. Now bring on the #4 player in the Country in Feagin who has had to sit for two years learning from Boston and crew along with Watkins, Cooper, Fulwilley, Kitts, and Johnson who were all McDaGG All Americans or eithere USA wbb medalist, they are in good shape. The fact that Dawn played the bench so heavily, she has less unknowns about her upcoming squad and knows which holes she would need to plug in to keep them elite.

Reaction Score

Loved Williams game in the McDonalds All American game, but Rosario will need a little work before she will be effective against many of the existing posts in the college game on the other mid-tier to elite teams.

Reaction Score
I'll wait until the transfers are in their final places before I opine.
Yea I think there are several teams that I thought we should be considerably better than, that have suddenly narrowed that gap with key returning 5th year players. It used to be after the recruiting was finalized, you could make good comparisons between teams.

Now we have instant transfer eligibility, Covid year options, and far more foreign recruits, some making decisions late after the normal recruiting season. Settling on your recruits was usually the end of determining the next year's roster, now it just ends one phase as we head to several more.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the Referees tend to level the playing field, and not in a good way.
My top 12: (South Carolina at #7? I don’t think so!)
UConn
South Carolina
LSU
Iowa
Indiana
Notre Dame
Texas
Utah
Virginia Tech
Stanford
Tennessee
Ohio State

Reaction Score
It's funny how Frese seems to slip through the cracks when people are talking about the top coaches. She lost what, four or five players, and still took them to the Elite Eight? Her track record is amazing: nine NCAA tournament berths, six 25+ win seasons, four 30+ win seasons, four Elite Eights, a Final Four appearance and the 2006 National Championship. She, Geno, Dawn, and Kim are the top coaches right now.
Kat- - -When Brenda Frese won the 2006 NCAA's she had a gentleman named Jeff Walz on her staff and he was the one that talked the most in the huddles!
He left the next year to be head coach at Louisville!
IMHO Brenda is a good recruiter not so much in x's and o's!

Reaction Score
UCONN

LSU had a fluke run. Kim won't be back to a final four at LSU
I’m not a Kim fan, but she is a consistent fluke with 4 national championships. I was pulling for Iowa, but Geno would be the first to tell you that dismissing any KM team is a fatal mistake. She is 4 for 4 in national championship games. All year i dismissed her because she had a soft schedule, was dominated by SC, and had some close games. Mistake. The woman has more drive than Saban, Geno, and Bobby Knight combined. She celebrated this victory for 5 secs then hit the portal to milk the win.

Reaction Score
The teams to beat next year, I still got South Carolina as #1 followed by LSU. Then us (UConn) followed by the rest of the pack.

Reaction Score
We can judge LSU and others based on what they have now, but I think it is a reasonable assumption that they will get significant guard help in the portal. Other teams may do the same. We have a very hard team to upgrade via the portal because we are probably only looking at one position, and for an experienced proven large C of which there are very few.

It is a nice problem to not need help at the other 4 positions, but this year the portal is more likely to help some of our biggest competitors than us IMO. It is hard to judge teams until the dust from returning 5th year players and portal transfers dies down. At least one of the variables (declaring for the draft) is over, but now we the other two will need to play out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom