Who is the team to beat next Year? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who is the team to beat next Year?

Reaction Score
Would she want Park-Lane?
There's been talk about Park-Lane on the Terps board. She has two things going against her. First is her height at 5'3". Also, he three point shooting was poor three out of her 4 years at Seton Hall (sub 30%). If she can revert to the 39% she shot in 2021-22, she would be awesome for the Terps.

Reaction Score
This is nuts- but, I think UConn is in need of a good center from the transfer portal.
All of the other possible fives are inexperienced and not ready to be the prime time go to center on a national championship team.

Reaction Score
Uconn adds Paige and Ice plus 4 talented freshman. And hopefully a healthy Azzi to that. I don’t think any other program is bringing in that much new talent next year. Biggest factor is health.

LSU and South Carolina will be good. I think Iowa will take a step back. Indiana could be sneaky good as well.

Interested to see if the recent transfer from Belmont to Tennessee makes a big impact. They could look a lot better offensively by having a reliable and athletic 3 point shooter. Plus they’ll have loads of size.

We’ll see how the portal shakes out though.

Reaction Score
I would have never thought there was a chance the Paige Bueckers would leave UConn without one NC. Right now I think there is a better chance of her not winning a NC. UConn might not be a top 4 team next year. UConn will certainly have their work cut out for them.

I’m sorry, with what UConn has and is adding (and yes, they are adding Paige, the National Player of the Year the last time she played a full season) I don’t see how UConn is not Top 4, let alone the favorite.

Reaction Score
LSU apparently.
Will be interesting to see if the coaches' poll rates them number one tomorrow much less preseason next year.

Personally, I always rank the defending champ number one until somebody beats them. Next year could make me alter that stance if their Non-conference schedule is nearly as bad as this year.

Reaction Score
Until next season starts, LSU is the team to beat. As of now, the major candidates for next year's title are the usual suspects (UConn, SC, Stanford, ND, Maryland, Iowa maybe depending on who they can get to replace Czinano). That list got a little bit longer in that as I see it we could make a rational case for a half dozen or more teams that may have a realistic shot as opposed to two or three. That in itself will make it interesting.

Reaction Score
She just announced she’s coming back. They’re losing Traylor, Soule, and Gregg however
Hokies will be in the MIX next year, good coach, nice team. All the best to Eliz Kitley!!

Reaction Score
After this tournament, no way WCBB moves away from finesse to a more physical game. The officials showed why you can't rely on physicality and guard play is still the most important determining factor of a championship team. Except some rule changes and some new rules of emphasis coming into next year that open the game up offensively.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see if the coaches' poll rates them number one tomorrow much less preseason next year.

Personally, I always rank the defending champ number one until somebody beats them. Next year could make me alter that stance if their Non-conference schedule is nearly as bad as this year.
I would like to know if LSU will play SoCar twice during the regular season next season. Only having to play them once this season certainly helped them, IMO.

Reaction Score
After this tournament, no way WCBB moves away from finesse to a more physical game. The officials showed why you can't rely on physicality and guard play is still the most important determining factor of a championship team. Except some rule changes and some new rules of emphasis coming into next year that open the game up offensively.
In my opinion, no way there will be rule changes to discourage physical play after Dawn Staley’s reaction to the criticism of their style of play. All heck would break loose! Plus , the SEC is built on that style of play and other teams/coaches favor it also!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Other than UConn, and SoCar recently, what other Final Four teams have made it there in back to back years?
Well Stanford was there 2021 and 2022. Mississippi St was there 2017 and 2018.

S. Carolina had 3 straight, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Before that Notre Dame had 5 straight 2011-2015.

And of course UCONN 2011-2022. :D

Reaction Score

S. Carolina had 3 straight, 2021, 2022 and 2023. Before that Notre Dame had 5 straight 2011-2015.

ND’s run those 5 years was pretty incredible considering the fact they never had a dominant big during that stretch.

Reaction Score
ESPN way too early top 10
1 UConn
2 Utah
3 LSU
4 Iowa
5 Indiana
6 UCLA
7 South Carolina
8 Ohio State
9 Stanford
10 Norte Dame

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

So 2022 was the anomaly in that 3 FF teams from 2021 made it back. And my point is that the odds are against any team other than SoCar making it back in 2024.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
ND’s run those 5 years was pretty incredible considering the fact they never had a dominant big during that stretch.
I'm not sure what everyone's (ok not everyone, but a lot of posters) fascination is with having a "all world big" in order to win a NC. LSU doesn't have one and just won a NC. S. Carolina had 2 pretty good 5's and didn't win this year (cause they couldn't shoot). Stanford has pretty good post play and didn't even get to the FF.

If UCONN has Bueckers, Fudd and Edwards healthy and playing well, They are not gonna need a "all world big". They will be just fine.

Kat

Reaction Score

12. Maryland Terrapins

No coach has restocked better over the past few years than Brenda Frese. She has a little more to do heading into next season. Diamond Miller is off to the WNBA, so Shyanne Sellers will now be the No. 1 option. The return of Faith Masonius, Lavender Briggs and Brinae Alexander as graduate students gives Frese a more substantial foundation than she had at this time last year. Riley Nelson, a 6-0 guard and local product, heads a solid recruiting class, and the Terps still have three scholarships available. Expect some more additions from the transfer portal.

The last line is so important. If the get a quality PG and a quality post, they're in the mix as well. There are two local transfers that are perfect for them. Brenda just needs to sign them.
It's funny how Frese seems to slip through the cracks when people are talking about the top coaches. She lost what, four or five players, and still took them to the Elite Eight? Her track record is amazing: nine NCAA tournament berths, six 25+ win seasons, four 30+ win seasons, four Elite Eights, a Final Four appearance and the 2006 National Championship. She, Geno, Dawn, and Kim are the top coaches right now.

Reaction Score
It's funny how Frese seems to slip through the cracks when people are talking about the top coaches. She lost what, four or five players, and still took them to the Elite Eight? Her track record is amazing: nine NCAA tournament berths, six 25+ win seasons, four 30+ win seasons, four Elite Eights, a Final Four appearance and the 2006 National Championship. She, Geno, Dawn, and Kim are the top coaches right now.
No Tara on that list?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom