Who is the team to beat next Year? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Who is the team to beat next Year?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I try not to post anything negative but what kind of statement is "The program simply needs to get tougher" and "find a grittiness where winning is the only option" and "I'm not sure the overwhelming desire to be champs is".

Really, I just have a hard time with your post. You are entitled to your opinion but boy this was a doozie. Do you know anything about the the Huskies since Geno took over 30 something years ago? As an example this year Nika and AE were arguably the toughest women in wcbb.

Reaction Score
Cardoso really does not exhaust herself because she is so physical. She is very fast, not quick but fast, and she knows her position. I never really understood why Dawn did not have her as a starter. IMO, SC was better when she and Boston were in the game. My take: SC will be top 5 next season.
The only time I have seen her play for most/all of a game was when she was with Syracuse and she didn't appear to enjoy running end to end by the second half of games...........with Boston and Amihere both gone she's now the focus up front...........let's see how she handles it.......with SC's returning players and a good incoming class I have no doubt they will be in the running for a NC next year

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Cardoso really does not exhaust herself because she is so physical. She is very fast, not quick but fast, and she knows her position. I never really understood why Dawn did not have her as a starter. IMO, SC was better when she and Boston were in the game. My take: SC will be top 5 next season.
Dawn places a high premium on experience.

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of people calling in physical play when teams grab someone going around the screen hand check, elbow check and lowering shoulders on drives to the basket. I think if you look in the rules book they are fouls and should be called. The NCAA covers all Conferences and the rules should apply to all conferences not one that lets their teams play more physical because you get into a situation with out of conference schedules and tournaments where teams don’t know how to play and how physical they can get. The bottom line is if the official sees a foul as written in the rule books it should be called , and if it’s called early in the game, the players will know how they have to play. The NCAA doesn’t need to make new rules. They just need to enforce the ones that are on the books already.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If healthy UConn will be scary good next season. Paige Azzi and Caroline if healthy and back to what they were could make UConn undefeated. Now I know we dont have someone over 6'5 we have Jana at 6'4 and a couple at 6'3 but we are that good. If you look at Hoopgurlz there arent many top players over 6'5 in 2024 or 2025. Maybe thats why Geno is look out of country for bigs like the girl in Canada and Portugal. In 2026 Oliva Vukosa from CTK in NY I would think would be a UConn lean but that can change as we know.

Reaction Score

Cardodo's upside is tremendous, but I think she needs to work on her post moves. She does soooo many things well. She can run the floor, she has great hands, great footwork, keeps the ball above her head, and has great touch around the basket. My one concern is that if she's the 30mpg center, will she be prone to foul trouble?

As for SC, if he freshman and sophomores can acclimate fast and someone can shoot 3's, they'll be back in the FF next year. It could be a little rocky at first, but they have so much talent at the two most important positions-post(Cardoso) and PG(Johnson).

Reaction Score
If Azzi and Paige can return to form and Edwards maintains her level of play, I would have to say that we could be the team to beat. Ice is a question mark at this point. And Nika will have to lower the amount of turnovers.

Out of this year's FF contenders, I'd say LSU would be the clear favorite as the team to beat right now.

We sure love to speculate on this board..LOL

Reaction Score
I try not to post anything negative but what kind of statement is "The program simply needs to get tougher" and "find a grittiness where winning is the only option" and "I'm not sure the overwhelming desire to be champs is".

Really, I just have a hard time with your post. You are entitled to your opinion but boy this was a doozie. Do you know anything about the the Huskies since Geno took over 30 something years ago? As an example this year Nika and AE were arguably the toughest women in wcbb.

You and me both

Reaction Score
There is one team, I think I saw a few people post about them, who is quietly going about their business building something nice, and they could surprise a lot of people. I am talking about Notre Dame. Depending on the how Olivia Miles injury goes. Notre Dame might be that team to beat next year.

Reaction Score
Extraordinary circumstances to knock them off? Like Baylor. Well then, there were a lot of “extraordinary” circumstance the last 20 years.

BTW, does having the better team count as extraordinary circumstances?
There is one team, I think I saw a few people post about them, who is quietly going about their business building something nice, and they could surprise a lot of people. I am talking about Notre Dame. Depending on the how Olivia Miles injury goes. Notre Dame might be that team to beat next year.
I think ND can indeed be excellent. If not for their injuries, they might have gone far this season. Similar to UCONN. History suggests that the " team to beat" should be the current national champion. Until someone does, they remain the team to beat.

Reaction Score
If Azzi and Paige can return to form and Edwards maintains her level of play, I would have to say that we could be the team to beat. Ice is a question mark at this point. And Nika will have to lower the amount of turnovers.

Out of this year's FF contenders, I'd say LSU would be the clear favorite as the team to beat right now.

We sure love to speculate on this board..LOL
The rule of sports says: " The team to beat is always the reigning national champion. Until someone beats them, and they no longer are. " But LSU is the team to beat. Period.

Reaction Score
Extraordinary circumstances to knock them off? Like Baylor. Well then, there were a lot of “extraordinary” circumstance the last 20 years.

BTW, does having the better team count as extraordinary circumstances?
"The talent level is fine" if they are not all sitting on the bench unable to play. Otherwise, the talent level is not fine.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
South Carolina has a "homegrown" recruit coming in from right there in Columbia South Carolina. Her name is Milaysia Fulwiley. A 5'6" pg out of Keenan HS, SC. You've probably heard of her, maybe not, but you will hear a lot about her in the coming months and years. Meet Milaysia. She's a very confident player that can flat-out ball! We get to see her at least 4 times in the coming years. It will be interesting to see how much of an impact she'll have on the program during her time there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If healthy UConn will be scary good next season. Paige Azzi and Caroline if healthy and back to what they were could make UConn undefeated. Now I know we dont have someone over 6'5 we have Jana at 6'4 and a couple at 6'3 but we are that good. If you look at Hoopgurlz there arent many top players over 6'5 in 2024 or 2025. Maybe thats why Geno is look out of country for bigs like the girl in Canada and Portugal. In 2026 Oliva Vukosa from CTK in NY I would think would be a UConn lean but that can change as we know.
Just to tack on toward your point Tonyc, back when UCONN won in 1995 they had a SF named Jamelle Elliot who was listed over 6' but in reality was 5"11"! She was a monster on the boards because of positioning and a huge heart!
To all these "we need bigs people, we have athletes such as Jana, Ice, Aaliya, Ayanna, and hopefully Amari that can do the job!

Reaction Score
Um, Lou?
Lou would have been benched if Paige, Caroline & Ice had been healthy - A good bench players as was Kiah Stokes
She proved she was there to improve and had the qualities needed

Reaction Score
Lou would have been benched if Paige, Caroline & Ice had been healthy - A good bench players as was Kiah Stokes
She proved she was there to improve and had the qualities needed

Lou would not have been benched. Geno said someone was losing their starting spot to Lou. She may not have played as many minutes but she was NOT being benched

Reaction Score
What is important is she took her responsabilities, she had a challenge and gain it, she will probably be drafted in the first round (I hope it won't be Dallas or Indiana)
Geno said it after the season had started, easy talk
But I think she was a good part of Huskies success this season

Reaction Score
South Carolina has a "homegrown" recruit coming in from right there in Columbia South Carolina. Her name is Milaysia Fulwiley. A 5'6" pg out of Keenan HS, SC. You've probably heard of her, maybe not, but you will hear a lot about her in the coming months and years. Meet Milaysia. She's a very confident player that can flat-out ball! We get to see her at least 4 times in the coming years. It will be interesting to see how much of an impact she'll have on the program during her time there.

This UCONN fan loves this young lady. She’s a great, great, signee for the SCar Gamecocks. And she’ll make plenty highlight reels on the sports channels.

Reaction Score
Lou would not have been benched. Geno said someone was losing their starting spot to Lou. She may not have played as many minutes but she was NOT being benched
Agreed. Lou outperformed Caroline in nearly every category, and that’s coming from a poster whose favorite player is Caroline.

Had no injuries occurred, as the original poster implied, Paige, Azzi, Lou, Aaliyah, and Dorka would start. It would in fact be Nika losing her starting role, or rather never stepping into that role.

To me, that would’ve been an incredibly tough team to beat, starting three elite shooters. What could have been!

Carnac

Reaction Score
This UCONN fan loves this young lady. She’s a great, great, signee for the SCar Gamecocks. And she’ll make plenty highlight reels on the sports channels.
If Dawn thinks enough of her to recruit her, she must be good. She certainly does not lack self-confidence. You've got to like that in any player. She is well-known in all of the recruiting publications and AAU circles. It will be interesting to see how much playing time she gets during her freshman year. She's only 5'6", but that means nothing. Lauren Park-Lane (Seton Hall) is only 5'4", and we know how good she is. Park-Lane is in the transfer portal by the way.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just to tack on toward your point Tonyc, back when UCONN won in 1995 they had a SF named Jamelle Elliot who was listed over 6' but in reality was 5"11"! She was a monster on the boards because of positioning and a huge heart!
To all these "we need bigs people, we have athletes such as Jana, Ice, Aaliya, Ayanna, and hopefully Amari that can do the job!
Just a reminder that Angel Reese (LSU) is only 6'3". She was the difference in LSU winning the NC. :cool:

Reaction Score
If Dawn thinks enough of her to recruit her, she must be good. She certainly does not lack self-confidence. You've got to like that in any player. She is well-known in all of the recruiting publications and AAU circles. It will be interesting to see how much playing time she gets during her freshman year. She's only 5'6", but that means nothing. Lauren Park-Lane (Seton Hall) is only 5'4", and we know how good she is. Park-Lane is in the transfer portal by the way.
@Carnac, she’s only 5’6”, but strong, has speed, and the confidence the size of Colonial Life Arena. She‘s also talented and skilled, and insists she’s “different”, basketball wise, and I believe her. It’s going to be showtime in SCar every night. I’m just hoping that she doesn’t beat my Huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom