What does this staff do during the week? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What does this staff do during the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Yeah, I did. If we had no championships ever, or none in the last 20 years or whatever...I'd feel differently. But the tournament is fun. I get great enjoyment out of those games, an NC win isn't really that much different from an elite 8 win really. I want more tournament games, more wins. So over a given span of time I want the most games to enjoy overall. Having none is terrible.

I know many feel differently. That's fine.
You'd make a perfect Syracuse fan.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I did. If we had no championships ever, or none in the last 20 years or whatever...I'd feel differently. But the tournament is fun. I get great enjoyment out of those games, an NC win isn't really that much different from an elite 8 win really. I want more tournament games, more wins. So over a given span of time I want the most games to enjoy overall. Having none is terrible.

I know many feel differently. That's fine.

I still vomit at losses to Missisippi St, Florida, Texas, UCLA, Maryland and especially Duke. The thought of those games practically makes me puke.

I'm the same way with football. I remember those losses. This is precisely why I like winning and having championships at the end of the year.

As great as 99 was when UConn broke through, as great as 2004 was when UConn dominated college basketball start to finish, as great as 2012 was when Kemba outclassed everyone, the 2014 was a moment of pure joy for me that in many ways exceeded almost any sporting event I have ever watched. It was the pinnacle or me as a fan. Would never trade it for anything. All the events that preceded it, the ban, the Big East crumbling, the exodus, the new coaches, Mark Emmert, etc. that was a killer. But then couple it with my own personal reasons (i.e. death of a close family member who was a huge UConn fan, and the fact that the opening rounds were in my town of Buffalo [we bar crawled down to the arena by foot each afternoon, walked 2 miles, and then bar crawled back in joy after the UConn games, amidst a sea of Orange tears] and then to get to see them at Madison Square Garden [practically bawling during the Michigan State game]) it far exceeded--far, far, far exceeded--the distaste of another UCLA, Maryland, etc.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Part of this is how you measure success. In my mind, one NC and three trips to the NIT is worse, much worse, than Two elite 8's and two sweet 16's over a 4 year period. Others may feel differently of course. Having an NCAA tournament with no UConn is just wrong, and there is really no excuse for it, except perhaps after that rare season when we graduate or lose 4-5 guys.

You are one of three people in America who might claim this. And the other two are very drunk.

If you told me I could get an NC every 6 years, and miss the tournament the rest of the time, I'd take it. 3 championships in 18 years is worth far more than any number of tournament entries.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You guys are talking past each other, and in spirit addressing two different questions:

1) Is it more satisfying as a fan to have gone NIT - Championship - NIT - NIT or S16 - E8 - S16 - E8 over a given 4 year period?
You take the championship. Period. End of discussion.

2) Which of those programs is better positioned for future success?
The consistent program is better positioned for success in the future, and is more likely to win championships in the future.

That's why the last 7 seasons have been so hard to evaluate. The championships have been incredible and you wouldn't trade these 7 seasons them for anyone else's (save maybe dook, who has also won twice). That said, the overall trajectory has not been good, and is potentially worrisome for the future of the program.

The hope is that in 10 years we're able to look back on this as a temporary blip caused by an aging/retiring coach, recruiting restrictions, APR BS, conference BS, and a new coach, and not as the harbinger of a long-term decline.

Good post. As you alluded to, the past 7 years HAVE to be viewed through the lens of all the significant headwinds to hit the program at damn near the same time. Most programs would have folded under this scenario.

I think there are some encouraging signs for the future atm. So I'm excited, rather than trepidatious.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I still vomit at losses to Missisippi St, Florida, Texas, UCLA, Maryland and especially Duke. The thought of those games practically makes me puke.

I'm the same way with football. I remember those losses. This is precisely why I like winning and having championships at the end of the year.

As great as 99 was when UConn broke through, as great as 2004 was when UConn dominated college basketball start to finish, as great as 2012 was when Kemba outclassed everyone, the 2014 was a moment of pure joy for me that in many ways exceeded almost any sporting event I have ever watched. It was the pinnacle or me as a fan. Would never trade it for anything. All the events that preceded it, the ban, the Big East crumbling, the exodus, the new coaches, Mark Emmert, etc. that was a killer. But then couple it with my own personal reasons (i.e. death of a close family member who was a huge UConn fan, and the fact that the opening rounds were in my town of Buffalo [we bar crawled down to the arena by foot each afternoon, walked 2 miles, and then bar crawled back in joy after the UConn games, amidst a sea of Orange tears] and then to get to see them at Madison Square Garden [practically bawling during the Michigan State game]) it far exceeded--far, far, far exceeded--the distaste of another UCLA, Maryland, etc.

And then capped off with the "this is what happens when you ban us!" I mean, that was sweet as duck.

Reaction Score
Point blank....this team is under performing..it's on the coaching staff as the talent is all there....

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Point blank....this team is under performing..it's on the coaching staff as the talent is all there....

No, the talent is not all there. We do NOT currently have any elite players*. And we are devoid of an experienced top shelf PG.

*JA and Hamilton may become that, but they are not as of right now

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, I did. If we had no championships ever, or none in the last 20 years or whatever...I'd feel differently. But the tournament is fun. I get great enjoyment out of those games, an NC win isn't really that much different from an elite 8 win really.

Hawk, I got to say that this might be the most preposterous thing I've heard on here. I know that statement is made a lot, but this time, it might actually be true.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="upstater, post:
That being said, Ollie has lost control of this team and is not doing a fine coaching job at all. Maybe he has never experienced this kind of laziness and disfunction. Maybe these players don't have the drive of a Boatright/Napier. You could see the troubles on the very first offensive possession when they were totally discombobulated.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

Reaction Score
No, the talent is not all there. We do NOT currently have any elite players*. And we are devoid of an experienced top shelf PG.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but does Temple or Houston or Tulsa or Cincy have any elite players? IMO Miller is as good as anyone in the conference. Unfortunately our offense should have been focused around him from day 1, instead it has been focused on the dribble drive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hawk, I got to say that this might be the most preposterous thing I've heard on here. I know that statement is made a lot, but this time, it might actually be true.

Not trying to persuade anyone. I'm just saying, "The Shot" game vs Clemson is still probably my second favorite UConn game of all time after the 1999 NC. Ahead of the other three NC games. Hell the NIT championship is pretty high on my list (partly because I was still @ UConn then).

And no, I wouldn't make a good Syracuse fan...can't stand them. Kansas?...yes, I'm already a fan, even if they are forever #2 for me.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You'd make a perfect Syracuse fan.

He could make a t-shirt: "2 Elite Eights and 2 Sweet 16s in a four-year span instead of 3 NITs and a National Championship!"

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Listen, I don't care if you are an elite player, a three star recruit, a four star recruit, or a fricken' walk on... if you put on the UConn uniform and step on that court, you better try hard every minute you are on the floor. That's the expectation. I'm not seeing it from the team right now...

Reaction Score

I agree that we don't have a point guard but for everyone saying this team lacks talent I call bullspit. The team is comprised of 4 and 5 star players who seem to be regressing instead of improving, it's inexcusable that we are pretty much a middle of the pack team in this godforsaken conference.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="upstater, post:
That being said, Ollie has lost control of this team and is not doing a fine coaching job at all. Maybe he has never experienced this kind of laziness and disfunction. Maybe these players don't have the drive of a Boatright/Napier. You could see the troubles on the very first offensive possession when they were totally discombobulated.

Bingo![/QUOTE]

And who chose those players?

Double Bingo!!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Not trying to persuade anyone. I'm just saying, "The Shot" game vs Clemson is still probably my second favorite UConn game of all time after the 1999 NC. Ahead of the other three NC games. Hell the NIT championship is pretty high on my list (partly because I was still @ UConn then).

And no, I wouldn't make a good Syracuse fan...can't stand them. Kansas?...yes, I'm already a fan, even if they are forever #2 for me.

The shot was exhilarating, but blowing a 19 point second half lead as a one seed in the sweet 16 was not. That was an epic meltdown saved by a one in a million miracle.

C

Chief00

I still maintain that talent is the bigger problem than KO but this has been a disastrous end to the season. That being said, some teams are simply hopeless. We saw it twice at the end of JC's career (2010 & 2012), even he wasn't immune to it. Even he couldn't reach certain teams.

I don't think you can compare 2012 to this year. We had excuses that year despite good talent. Due to JC illness and NCAA suspension he was in/out/in/out/in as coach. Boatshow was in /out/in due to NCAA. Guys did not know where they where playing next year with the NCAA free transfer pass.

In short, quite frankly we has a lot of external headwind.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The shot was exhilarating, but blowing a 19 point second half lead as a one seed in the sweet 16 was not. That was an epic meltdown saved by a one in a million miracle.

Oh it was horrifying...which is why pulling it out as we did made it so amazing. A few seconds before...it was among the worst games ever. :) That's the beauty of being a fan...being pulled from the depths of despair in a magical and near miraculous way.

Reaction Score
Bingo!

Double Bingo!![/QUOTE]

Please clarify Paesano. Is this a shot? At me or Ollie?

Let's not take the player selection process out of context.

UConn was in deep from way before Ollie became coach with sanctions, ban, loss of schollies, press, uncertainty "ad nausium." Big dark cloud hung over Storrs.

And it has remained so allbeit to a lesser extent from the perspective of some. Many with talent didn't want to come to Storrs and some at UConn didn't want to remain here for that matter.

Coach had to cast a wide net and ultimately selects the "best" players talent/character/fit willing to come AND ALSO encourage players already here to remain rather than bail as several did.

KO is not without blame here and yet I find it rather hard to believe it's all on him either, considering all the documented accolades from professional stars, HOF coaches UConn players & stars giving kudos to KO as a teacher, motivator, and mentor with an exceptional work ethic.

Oh ye with short memories or damaged grey matter.

It's a little like dating or hiring talent. There are no guaranties. Some times you score and sometimes you get burnt. And sometimes, over time, relationships that showed promise or those one hoped would grow and evolve change or just don't work out the way you thought they would. That's life.

"Rome wasn't built in a day"....he's a work in progress.
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't MAKE them drink".....they need to want it.

Don't forget these are still boys with exploding hormones hard to predict, focus or control.
Any experienced and wise parent will confirm.

Obviously this team is soft with a low BB IQ, flawed composition with no leader, no experienced PG, no inside threat. One could go on and on regarding chemistry, consistency and desire. It's obvious now but back then, on paper, we all had high hopes.

There are very few true alpha dogs. We have been blessed to have had more than most.
JA could be the next. Stay tuned to see how this develops. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. And KO needs to grow as well.

Bottom line, it's more on the players than the coach.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree that we don't have a point guard but for everyone saying this team lacks talent I call bullspit. The team is comprised of 4 and 5 star players who seem to be regressing instead of improving, it's inexcusable that we are pretty much a middle of the pack team in this godforsaken conference.

But, we don't have a Shabazz, a Kemba, and Okafor/Gordon, or a KEA/RIP. Not one of those Top 10, Top 5 elite guys.

Reaction Score
But, we don't have a Shabazz, a Kemba, and Okafor/Gordon, or a KEA/RIP. Not one of those Top 10, Top 5 elite guys.

...or a Calhoun. KO seems to have his act together when he talks about the game and what he wants, but that is not translating to the court in any recognizable way.

Reaction Score

Double Bingo!!

Please clarify Paesano. Is this a shot?

Bottom line, it's more on the players than the coach.[/QUOTE]

It isn't a shot but a statement. I disagree that any of this is on the players. They are what they are. The coach chooses the players. If they aren't UConn players, he shouldn't have chosen them. I get the sanctions excuse, to a point. But if the remaining 5 star guys are cancers, pick the 4 star guys that will turn into the Shonn Millers of the world. It doesn't look like his 4 star picks are acting like UConn players either. There are always mid major teams that become great teams with 4 star kids that overachieve. If we lack overachievers, whose fault is that?

And, really, having to recruit overachieving 4 star players should only have been the case for a year or two. Ollie should have been able to snag the 5 star kids that were both talented and high character in the last few classes, starting with Hamilton's class. If anyone has a problem with how Hamilton is playing, they should be asking why he picked him instead of a harder working 5 star. EVERYTHING is on the coach...always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom