What does this staff do during the week? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What does this staff do during the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has the team improved as the season went on? No.. . . . If Ollie's the man, and his contract and salary say he is, it's time to stop using the bench next to him as a retirement home for former UConn grads easing toward the sunset.
I posted similar thoughts in another thread and I got flat out called an "Ollie Basher".

Not sure how any true-blood UConn fan can be happy with Ollie right now.

Reaction Score
I'll rephrase my comment that answers Fishy's question

iYSiK.gif

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Has the team improved as the season went on? No.

Have the players improved? No.

Has the bench coaching improved? No.

Feel free to post three dozen "remember 2014" threads, pound your chests after we beat UCF or maybe just convince yourself that 20 wins and 11-7 in this s--- show of a conference is fine, but good god, there is something wrong in Storrs.

This is the sixth-best team in the AAC. In the three years we've been in this conference, we've yet to finish ahead of SMU or Cincinnati. Forget winning the conference, we're yet to finish within three games of the top spot.

Train is going in the wrong direction. Tonight isn't an exception, it's the rule - I knew we'd get run because SMU is better coached, more determined and they'd crack our team the way they normally do.

"But recruiting rankings!" Count those chickens when they hatch and play well in a UConn uniform.

In the interim, things have to change before next season - new blood needed on the bench. Check our record against the better teams in the conference over three years and tell me that Ollie, Hobbs and Miller are getting it done. If Ollie's the man, and his contract and salary say he is, it's time to stop using the bench next to him as a retirement home for former UConn grads easing toward the sunset.

Olliewood Convalescent Home

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Talent doesn't equal wins as this team has shown over the past couple of weeks. One thing I put on the coaching staff completely is the ever changing lineups.

The team looked lost tonight as did the coaching staff. Things have to change before next year on this team with the coaching staff. I agree 100% with Fishy, things have to change.

Reaction Score

Feel free to post three dozen "remember 2014" threads, pound your chests after we beat UCF or maybe just convince yourself that 20 wins and 11-7 in this s--- show of a conference is fine, but good god, there is something wrong in Storrs.

This is the sixth-best team in the AAC. In the three years we've been in this conference, we've yet to finish ahead of SMU or Cincinnati. Forget winning the conference, we're yet to finish within three games of the top spot.

Train is going in the wrong direction. Tonight isn't an exception, it's the rule - I knew we'd get run because SMU is better coached, more determined and they'd crack our team the way they normally do.

"But recruiting rankings!" Count those chickens when they hatch and play well in a UConn uniform.

In the interim, things have to change before next season - new blood needed on the bench. Check our record against the better teams in the conference over three years and tell me that Ollie, Hobbs and Miller are getting it done. If Ollie's the man, and his contract and salary say he is, it's time to stop using the bench next to him as a retirement home for former UConn grads easing toward the sunset.
I think there are only a few that think things are A-OK because we won it in 2014. That title and his recruiting are the only things keeping all of us from calling for his head. There absolutely needs to be changes to the staff and Calhoun needs to have a sit down with Ollie. Two years in a row where we look worse in all facets than we did earlier in the season. I had a random old friend I haven't talked to in 15 years hit me up on facebook to ask what the hell has happened to UConn basketball? I had another friend text me asking if Ollie is the next Mike Davis? I didn't know how to answer either of them.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score

Could not have said it any better, well done!

Reaction Score
You really just said 2012?

To clarify, I didn't mean that 2010 & 2012 lacked talent, quite the opposite. I meant that JC had those teams that underachieved, never gelled and plenty of fans criticised their toughness, pride and IQ.

If that can happen to a better coach with more talent, twice, then it can happen with KO and this group.

Reaction Score
Its clear that there is an issue. We have not missed the NCAA Tournament in back to back years in 25+ years. The worst part about that...it happened after winning a national championship. What changes could realistically be made? Ive said in other threads that decisions on the staff will be made by Ollie. I dont think hes going to throw any of his assistants under the bus.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Its clear that there is an issue. We have not missed the NCAA Tournament in back to back years in 25+ years. The worst part about that...it happened after winning a national championship. What changes could realistically be made? Ive said in other threads that decisions on the staff will be made by Ollie. I dont think hes going to throw any of his assistants under the bus.
It hasn't happened yet.

Reaction Score

Could not agree with you more but....and a BIG but Ollie and his staff was shoved down Wardes throat or up his back side depending on how you see it. This by JC and his demand of the family must take over. Therefore we have coaches that have gone up the ladder and ended up here on the way back down. This possibly not by the choice of the head coach forced into the situation quite possibly (actually obviously) before ready.
Personally I was hoping for a turn of the page and keeping it in the family with Steve Pikell coming here and choosing his own staff. That was not in the mix. We are in a tough place and I hope we can dig out but tonight's game gave me nothing to look forward to coaching wise.
It was doggy snot ugly!

Reaction Score
Nothing against the two 5th year seniors (especially Miller has been great) but bringing in graduate/seniors like that has got to mess up the leadership chemistry. Clearly, Daniel Hamilton was not going to take over with two new graduate seniors on the team. Think of how morale goes in a corporation when it doesn't hire for an opening from within. Ok, I grasping here to find an explanation for this year.

Reaction Score
To clarify, I didn't mean that 2010 & 2012 lacked talent, quite the opposite. I meant that JC had those teams that underachieved, never gelled and plenty of fans criticised their toughness, pride and IQ.

If that can happen to a better coach with more talent, twice, then it can happen with KO and this group.

Those teams played in the greatest college basketball conference of all time.

I don't think a single team in this years AAC would finish in the top 7 in the conference in those leagues.

Uconn has underachieving teams. But never against this level of competition. Modern era: before someone references some team from the 60s or something

Reaction Score

It's absolutely disgusting that every single one of your posts are either using very little of your own opinion or complete pandering to the current climate of the fan base. Take an actual stand and prognosticate why you either support KO, or the how's and why's of why YOU think this team is failing.

I agree with many of your points, but at the same time you never offer any actual opinion or original thought to any of your posts. Everything you do is complete fluff and is honestly bulls.hit.

Aside from this completely proven idiot, barring some unforeseen circumstance, next year should be entirely "Make some noise in the NCAA Tournament or you're done" for Ollie. In my years as an early Calhoun fan until now, I cannot remember any point in the last 25 years where a team has played with so little heart. Whenever Calhoun had an underperforming team it was due to a gap in recruiting or experience. 2012 was the lone exception, but that seemed much more like Calhoun wanting a victory lap and a chance to coach Drummond than anything. But I digress, this team has absolutely folded whenever possible outside of winning @ Texas. I've personally never thought this team was going to be great, but there is 0 reason this team should have this record given how relatively weak their OoC has turned out to be.

Reaction Score
I had a random old friend I haven't talked to in 15 years hit me up on facebook to ask what the hell has happened to UConn basketball? I had another friend text me asking if Ollie is the next Mike Davis? I didn't know how to answer either of them.

This is the concern. We may be turning into Georgetown, UCLA, Indiana -- once-dominant programs that are only fleetingly relevant. The next 2-3 years are critical, and we will only know the final outcome in 5-10.

Mike Davis is an interesting comparison, but the guy who comes to mind for me is Tubby Smith. Won a championship early in his tenure, having inherited most of those players. Otherwise was mediocre-to-good. The difference is, mediocre-to-good for Kentucky looked like contending for the SEC title, a #15 ranking, a 4 seed, and a Sweet 16 appearance. For us, that's middle of the pack in the AAC, zero votes in the polls, and the bubble.

Late in his tenure, critical Kentucky fans dubbed their coach "Ten Loss Tubby". Well, KO has lost 10 games now 3 of his 4 years.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm surprised JC hasn't spoken out. This is all on the staff, IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised JC hasn't spoken out. This is all on the staff, IMO.
you think Calhoun is going to publicly call out his protege, who he's had something akin to a father/son relationship with?

i really don't think that's going to happen. i'm sure they speak in private pretty regularly

Reaction Score
This is going to be a good cathartic period for UConn basketball.

We have posters preferring Steve Pickiell over Ollie.

We have people hoping we don't end up like Indiana and UCLA.

We need to clear out a bunch of fans who think UConn's 4 championships is something we have a right to see with regularity.

This doesn't even mention the fact that we are in the AAC and Indiana has huge support as a B1G team, and a better fanbase than UConn.

The stuff that gets posted here is preposterous. It's not that I'm not shocked by last night (anyone in the chat knows my feelings on what has happened this year) but our response to it shows how delusional the fanbase is.

Reaction Score

We need to clear out a bunch of fans who think UConn's 4 championships is something we have a right to see with regularity.

This doesn't even mention the fact that we are in the AAC and Indiana has huge support as a B1G team, and a better fanbase than UConn.

The stuff that gets posted here is preposterous. It's not that I'm not shocked by last night (anyone in the chat knows my feelings on what has happened this year) but our response to it shows how delusional the fanbase is.
Many here wanted Calhoun gone in 2010 + 2011. You are spot on about delusional fan base.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fishy pretty much nailed it. This team is mailing it in. The players, the coaches, everyone. They don't hustle, they don't get back on D for the second game in a row, and they don't seem to even care really. Only proud moment was Shonn Miller getting a T. At least that involved some intensity.

I'll admit that SMU is a better team than UConn, but not like that. Houston isn't better at all. I don't know what the underlying cause it, but it needs to be fixed and fixed right now. This team now needs to win the AAC tournament to get a bid and avoid the NIT.

Reaction Score

I agree with the spirit of your post, but I don't think people expect a national championship every year.

I think people rightfully expect to make the tournament and win this league

Reaction Score
I agree with the spirit of your post, but I don't think people expect a national championship every year.

I think people rightfully expect to make the tournament and win this league

I don't think everyone is delusional. As I said, you should have read my posts last night. I am past the point of whatever. If this team wins a couple games against UCF and whoever (Cincy?) I would not be apoplectic if the committee decides to leave them out of the tourney.

I'm talking about fan expectations. About not becoming an Indiana. About upgrading our head coach, etc. That's what I call delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom