What does this staff do during the week? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What does this staff do during the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It isn't a shot but a statement. I disagree that any of this is on the players. They are what they are. The coach chooses the players. If they aren't UConn players, he shouldn't have chosen them. I get the sanctions excuse, to a point. But if the remaining 5 star guys are cancers, pick the 4 star guys that will turn into the Shonn Millers of the world. It doesn't look like his 4 star picks are acting like UConn players either. There are always mid major teams that become great teams with 4 star kids that overachieve. If we lack overachievers, whose fault is that?

And, really, having to recruit overachieving 4 star players should only have been the case for a year or two. Ollie should have been able to snag the 5 star kids that were both talented and high character in the last few classes, starting with Hamilton's class. If anyone has a problem with how Hamilton is playing, they should be asking why he picked him instead of a harder working 5 star. EVERYTHING is on the coach...always.

And who handcuffed Ollie before he even managed to take the reigns? Ollie didn't exactly have his pick of the litter.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly we have no players that could be considered complete players for their position. You could say that Ollie has done well with this level of talent to win 20 games. Then the fact that we are in the AAC, which many yarders fiercely put down before we were a conference member, and we can't beat the better teams from the conference at a consistent rate rears it's ugly head. The way we play offense makes it look like the team has no clue how to make plays within the limits of their talent. There is no structure and if there was we wouldn't be leading the nation in shot clock violations. This will never be seen as Ollies finest hour. His team is lost and in need of focus and direction.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The shot was exhilarating, but blowing a 19 point second half lead as a one seed in the sweet 16 was not. That was an epic meltdown saved by a one in a million miracle.
Cool, huh?

C

Chief00

I hear you - but just have a couple minutes to break things down.

The fact that we have no structure to our offense makes the point guard invaluable, who can break down a defense and score - more so than if we actually ran some effective offense with ball movement rather than waiting to the end of the shot clock and throwing up a wild shot, turning the ball over or getting a shot clock violation.

I think we have better talent than our record but not great talent. Other than Enoch we have no center who can hold position against a strong big.

Our biggest problems are both poor open shooting and shot selection, no running mentality, numerous mental lapses which result in turnovers or 4-6 point turnaround plays for opponents.

It's March and we still have not adjusted to how the officials call the game based on their points of emphasis - as demonstrated by our foul problems. I have yet to see us score on a good team on an inbounds play this season and too infrequently score after a timeout - these things are at least in part on the coaches.

Reaction Score
Kind of hoping that Miller or Hobbs gets the CSCU job.

Not sure about how Calhoun felt about Miller, but Hobbs was obviously Calhoun's right hand man, and he was the guy bringing the point guards along, and as head coach of an A-10 team, he brought them to their only top 5 finish (AP national ranking at the end of the year). So his replacement will have to be better than all that.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but does Temple or Houston or Tulsa or Cincy have any elite players? IMO Miller is as good as anyone in the conference. Unfortunately our offense should have been focused around him from day 1, instead it has been focused on the dribble drive.
Spearheaded by a collection of guys that can neither dribble, nor drive. How is that not on the coach?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Like everyone on this board, I hated when we joined the AAC. However, the one saving grace was that I figured we dominate the conference like Memphis used to in CUSA and get an automatic bid the the NCAA tourney every year and then make wave since we got there to keep the program on top. Not exactly working out as I'd hoped.

Reaction Score
KO is an avid golfer. During the hoops season he enjoys honing his golf skills. You see him in Simsbury during the basketball season. Meets up with Ken. Golf provides him with a release/escape from the daily grind of a long grueling season. Also to be great at golf it takes hard work and practice. Golf is a very tough game. I am bad....like really bad. ;)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Like everyone on this board, I hated when we joined the AAC. However, the one saving grace was that I figured we dominate the conference like Memphis used to in CUSA and get an automatic bid the the NCAA tourney every year and then make wave since we got there to keep the program on top. Not exactly working out as I'd hoped.
In the AAC's defense, CUSA has been like MAAC-level since Marquette, Louisville, and Cincinnati left.

Reaction Score
Not sure about how Calhoun felt about Miller, but Hobbs was obviously Calhoun's right hand man, and he was the guy bringing the point guards along, and as head coach of an A-10 team, he brought them to their only top 5 finish (AP national ranking at the end of the year). So his replacement will have to be better than all that.
You constantly make up stuff around here. Hobbs had a very nice few year stretch at GW but they never finished in the top 5.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Part of this is how you measure success. In my mind, one NC and three trips to the NIT is worse, much worse, than Two elite 8's and two sweet 16's over a 4 year period. Others may feel differently of course. Having an NCAA tournament with no UConn is just wrong, and there is really no excuse for it, except perhaps after that rare season when we graduate or lose 4-5 guys.
This is quite possibly the worst post in the history of the Internet. Two elite 8 and 2 sweet 16 in 4 years is not in the same stratosphere of winning one national title. See UConn pre 1999 and everyone saying Calhoun can't win the big one.

Reaction Score
In the AAC's defense, CUSA has been like MAAC-level since Marquette, Louisville, and Cincinnati left.
The AAC is significantly better than CUSA was after Cincy, Marquette, and Louisville left. It isn't even close.

The AAC is about to have 5 Top-50ish teams, and 1 Top 70ish team. So 6 Top 100 teams.

In 2008, when Memphis made the title game, They had 2 Top 50-ish teams, and only 3 Top 100. They also had a sub-300 team.

The AAC isn't great, but if those bottom four schools could get their act together a little, we'd probably all be in much better shape, especially because the Top 6 (+Memphis when Pastner's gone) have all been pretty solid to good.

Reaction Score
The link is right there for you. Click it.
http://m.gwsports.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/hobbs_karl00.html Right from their own website, George Washington started the season out ranked #21 in the AP poll, they hit #6 twice during the season in the AP poll and finished the season ranked #14 in the AP poll. I could care less what GW's ranking was that season but I'm sick of you making up stuff around here and never admitting when you're wrong, it's not a good look.

Reaction Score
http://m.gwsports.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/hobbs_karl00.html Right from their own website, George Washington started the season out ranked #21 in the AP poll, they hit #6 twice during the season in the AP poll and finished the season ranked #14 in the AP poll. I could care less what GW's ranking was that season but I'm sick of you making up stuff around here and never admitting when you're wrong, it's not a good look.

The last week we went through your BS I gave you the link I got it from (McHale MVP voting) and you never responded, so save your nonsense.

The time before that, it was the point about the Patriots offensive line, and then again, I more nonsense from you. You just continue to do it.

Reaction Score
The last week we went through your BS I gave you the link I got it from (McHale MVP voting) and you never responded, so save your nonsense.

The time before that, it was the point about the Patriots offensive line, and then again, I more nonsense from you. You just continue to do it.
Seriously, what's the matter with you? This isn't debatable it's a fact, GW finished #14 in the AP poll. You double and triple down on lies, never seen anything like it. You bringing the McHale thread back up is hysterical, the entire board was laughing at you. You're pathological on here, I hope for your sake this is just your message board persona and you aren't like this in day to day life. When someone gives you concrete proof you are wrong it's okay to admit you're wrong, if you don't it makes you look like a crazy person.

Reaction Score
The link is right there for you. Click it.
Your link is Week 17 of the coaches' poll. Week 18 (last before the NCAAs) has them 11, and the end of year they were 19.

In the AP they were 7, and then the last pre-tournament poll they were 14. I'm confused as to why this is an issue.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The team's problems are easy to explain and nearly impossible to fix this season.

The elephant in the room is that we have one player who can consistently get in the lane, and that player is a freshman (with everything that being a freshman implies).

Ollie really overestimated what Sterling Gibbs was going to give us, and he wasn't the only one. I guess second team all Big East doesn't mean much these days, because a year later, he's not even honorable mention All AAC. You can try to put some of the blame for Gibb's lack of performance on the coaching staff, but I disagree. After watching him, I seriously have no idea how he managed to put up the numbers he did at Seton Hall. Must have had good teammates.

Some may say Daniel Hamilton is good enough to play a point forward; I was never impressed with Hamilton in that role. His penetration is soft, and his decisions are too often suspect. If he's playing point forward next year, we're a bubble team again.

Without an upper classman lead point guard who can create shots for others, this team's ceiling suddenly gets much, much lower. We have one guy who can score in the low post, and a bunch of streaky shooters who get turnover prone when forced to penetrate.

Alterique Gilbert and whatever guard Ollie signs this spring provide hope that next year may be better.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
KO is an avid golfer. During the hoops season he enjoys honing his golf skills. You see him in Simsbury during the basketball season. Meets up with Ken. Golf provides him with a release/escape from the daily grind of a long grueling season. Also to be great at golf it takes hard work and practice. Golf is a very tough game. I am bad....like really bad. ;)

Hah, too funny. I grew up with Kenny's son Matt.

Reaction Score
Your link is Week 17 of the coaches' poll. Week 18 (last before the NCAAs) has them 11, and the end of year they were 19.

In the AP they were 7, and then the last pre-tournament poll they were 14. I'm confused as to why this is an issue.
Either way, Hobbs had a mid major squad in the top 25. He can coach. Went to 3 straight NCAA tourneys.

Yes, we don't know what's happening in practice. But Miller's suspect head coaching record and the lack of development from our bigs really makes me question what he adds to the staff.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Ollie's preseason expectations are telling; he said something to the effect that "if we put forth the effort defensively, we'll be pretty good." He was worried about defense, which blows my mind in hindsight.

How could a coaching staff loaded with former point guards not realize how much the team was lacking in that area?

Reaction Score

Because it's just niggling. I wrote about what Hobbs accomplished overall. I cited the #5 ranking from complete memory of a school I don't even follow from a decade ago to make a point. It is totally stupid that superjohn continues his antics on this. The truth is I don't even pay attention to the post-tournament poll because it is meaningless. Just to give an example: a team that finishes in the final 4 is more accomplished than a team that finishes higher in the top 10, IMO. For this reason, the end of season (pre-tourney) poll is the last I pay attention to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom