OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 58 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see what it'll be like at work next Monday... Gov. Wolf has ordered everyone to wear masks in the supermarket. If you don't have one, we (supposedly) won't let you in and you'll need to make an alternative plan. Goes into effect Sunday night. Given the first hour is dedicated to seniors, this oughta be fun.

It went smoothly for SEPTA. Last I heard, SEPTA is now going to give them to riders who need one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A few things: (1) Florida's numbers are hocus pocus, there is no way they have ~ the same amount of deaths as CT with 7x the population and an idiot governor that sat on his thumbs; (2) another reason to wish you were 24 again :(.

Are you suggesting the national media and south Florida local media are sitting on stories of mass death because it would look bad?

Reality is every model shows CT with a much higher per capital death rate than Florida and a similar (4000-5000) overall number of deaths.

Reaction Score
Are you suggesting the national media and south Florida local media are sitting on stories of mass death because it would look bad?

Reality is every model shows CT with a much higher per capital death rate than Florida and a similar (4000-5000) overall number of deaths.
I don't know what the number is but there's no way Florida's numbers are that low, I don't even think they're reporting nursing home deaths in any data.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I looked at a map.

Turns out that Connecticut is right next to New York which has proven to be a bad thing.

There have been 50,000 tests done in Connecticut. There have been 230,000 tests done - we are simply getting sick at a different rate up here in the northeast.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I am saying they aren’t attributing deaths to COVID, not that they are hiding deaths.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I looked at a map.

Turns out that Connecticut is right next to New York which has proven to be a bad thing.

There have been 50,000 tests done in Connecticut. There have been 230,000 tests done - we are simply getting sick at a different rate up here in the northeast.

Yep. And amazing how Fairfield County is doing worst than all the other counties.

I get it.

What I was referring to was someone suggesting numbers in other areas are way low and no one is bothering to look on to it.

I would guess if Miami, Houston, Charlotte or any other cities had huge numbers not being reported by the government some news media would jump all over it. At least I would hope they would do it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't know what the number is but there's no way Florida's numbers are that low, I don't even think they're reporting nursing home deaths in any data.

The state just started breaking out deaths from long term care facilities.

As of now 122 deaths in nursing homes. I would expect that number to go up dramatically.

My county has had four deaths and three were from long-term care facilities.

Reaction Score
Yep. And amazing how Fairfield County is doing worst than all the other counties.

I get it.

What I was referring to was someone suggesting numbers in other areas are way low and no one is bothering to look on to it.

I would guess if Miami, Houston, Charlotte or any other cities had huge numbers not being reported by the government some news media would jump all over it. At least I would hope they would do it.
There's a lot of articles written about it. States are classifying deaths in a completely different manner. New York is reporting anyone who dies at home a Covid death, some states aren't classifying any deaths at home as Covid deaths. Some states aren't even classifying nursing home deaths as Covid deaths.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Florida is breaking out nursing home deaths.

There's no built-in reason why Florida should be suffering more than they are.

Reaction Score
Florida is breaking out nursing home deaths.

There's no built-in reason why Florida should be suffering more than they are.
Except for all the old people and all the people who travel there from the Northeast all the time, and their large hispanic and black population.

Reaction Score
The one statistic that would provide some context is total deaths in the USA each day. It is very hard to get such a number. There is no reporting system. Most states have there own platforms and many deaths are reported days (or longer) after they happen. The real stats often take a long time to catch up. Even something as simple as flu deaths are often revised a year or longer after they happen. But knowing the total daily death toll would give us important context on the pandemic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's a lot of articles written about it. States are classifying deaths in a completely different manner. New York is reporting anyone who dies at home a Covid death, some states aren't classifying any deaths at home as Covid deaths. Some states aren't even classifying nursing home deaths as Covid deaths.

Agree there are different reporting methods and times during day when reports are released. But we are getting anywhere from 4-8 weeks if data and you can see how different models are aligned and where they diverge.

Here"re a couple I look at for info:

And this one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Except for all the old people and all the people who travel there from the Northeast all the time, and their large hispanic and black population.

As if now, not much of an outlier for minorities at this point in time.

This page has a link to all the stats for viewing pleasure.

Screenshot_20200415-220555.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because someone elsewhere used Florida data to suggest young people aren’t dying, which is dangerously false.

NPR station in Florida has noted issues with Florida’s count:There's Something Strange About Florida's Coronavirus Data.

You can use any data you want across the US. Younger people, for discussion, say under 45, are not dying at large rates from the corona? Catch it? Yes? Require hospitalization? Some, but not many. Dying from it? Very few. Dying from it at higher rates in large metro areas with significant public transportation? Absolutely. But still nothing to cripple the country and drive it to a halt.

Reaction Score
Dead people getting stimulus. I would hope a widow or widower would be able to keep the money, or even a parent. Hell I guess if someone died from the virus the check should be treated like an insurance payment check (beneficiary).

Dead people getting paid

Reaction Score
Good Call! :)
It was such a good call that it was up 16% today.
but did I buy???? NO, I didn’t, because I’m an idiot.
I hope you did. If it flakes a bit tomorrow I might go in. I think it’s going up more because the study locking this month.
I don’t work for Gilead. This isn’t insider! This is all public info! I do work for industry and read industry stuff a bit, but I’m not taking you down the Martha Stewart path...

Reaction Score

the Yale research about the effects of heat and humidity on flu infection and mortality could explain this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom