OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 57 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
In experimental treatments, Connecticut hospitals are using blood plasma from recovered coronavirus patients to help those who are still sick

Medical professionals are beginning trials and experimental treatments that involve taking blood plasma — which is the fluid component of blood — from recovered coronavirus patients and infusing it into the bloodstreams of severely ill patients. The plasma from the recovered patients contains antibodies, which help the human body fight pathogens such as bacteria and viruses.

While still unproven on a large scale, the theory is that a recovered COVID-19 patient’s antibodies should also help fight the disease in patients who are still sick.

“If you can take that same plasma and infuse it into a patient that’s in the ICU or really compromised, you can fight the infection with the antibodies from the [plasma],” said Dr. Justin Lundbye, chief medical officer at Waterbury Hospital. “Those antibodies will then go after the virus and kill it.”

Trinity Health was the first hospital system with Connecticut locations to begin a clinical trial using the plasma therapy, although Yale New Haven Health is applying for approval of a trial. The Yale New Haven Health, Nuvance Health and Hartford HealthCare systems are also using blood plasma in a more traditional, non-trial setting.

A number of hospitals across the state, including the Hartford HealthCare and Yale New Haven Health systems, are gearing up to provide convalescent plasma transfusions outside of the scope of a clinical trial, in a less rigorous program that the FDA refers to as “expanded access.” (In the meantime, Yale New Haven Health is also applying to conduct its own clinical trial.)

Although medical professionals around the world are now studying convalescent plasma, they have not yet proven whether it’s effective in treating COVID-19.

However, both Hussain, of Trinity Health, and Dr. Mahalia Desruisseaux of Yale New Haven Health pointed to promising results out of a small Chinese study of five critically ill COVID-19 patients. In that study, three of the patients were released from the hospital and two were stabilized after convalescent plasma treatment.

Another Chinese study showed similar results but was again very small, with only 10 patients.

Hussain also pointed to the track record of convalescent plasma in fighting other viral epidemics, from before COVID-19 came on the scene. When treated with convalescent plasma, patients had a better chance of beating Ebola, H1N1 and SARS, previous studies have found.

Trinity Health was one of the first four health systems in the U.S. to gain approval for a clinical trial of convalescent plasma. The health system has hospitals across Connecticut and Massachusetts, including St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Hartford and Mercy Medical Center in Springfield.

Hussain said the health system rushed to apply for a clinical trial after reading about the five-patient study in China. The study was small and didn’t have a comparison group, but Hussain said the results were attention-grabbing nonetheless.

“It’s amazing that [three patients] were able to go home,” Hussain said. “We thought, ‘We need to look into this and see what we can give our patients.’ ”

The hospital system is already using other treatments, such as hydroxychloroquine, for moderately ill patients, but there currently is no viable treatment for severely ill patients, Hussain said. So Trinity Health decided to target severely ill patients with the convalescent plasma trial.

“There isn’t really anything out there that we’re using for severe disease," Hussain said.

Dr. Latha Dulipsingh of St. Francis said on Thursday that the Trinity Health system hopes to give the first convalescent plasma transfusion by late this week. Dulipsingh said the hospital system will share results once it has enrolled 10 to 15 patients.

But Hussain said the health system will enroll as many patients as possible, in order to strengthen the study’s statistical analysis. He estimated the health system should be able to release data in about a month. The study will focus mainly on whether the treatment increases patients’ chances of survival.

“The primary outcome definitely is mortality,” Hussain said. “We want to make sure we’re able to save these patients.”

In lieu of clinical trials, some hospitals are using convalescent plasma under a protocol that the FDA dubs “expanded access." This approach, more similar to the typical in-patient treatment process, does not come with many of the requirements of a more formal clinical trial and is designed for patients who cannot participate in trials.

Under the expanded access protocol, only the most severely ill COVID-19 patients can be treated with convalescent plasma. Desruisseaux, at Yale New Haven Health, said some patients who are not yet critically ill may also be treated, if their doctors determine that they will soon become critically ill.

The Hartford HealthCare, Nuvance Health and Yale New Haven Health systems are gearing up to administer convalescent plasma under this protocol. The systems are receiving blood plasma from partner blood centers, such as the Rhode Island Blood Center and the American Red Cross.

The Yale New Haven Health system was scheduled to receive its first convalescent plasma unit on Tuesday morning, according to Tormey. Nuvance Health, which includes Danbury and Norwalk hospitals, has said it is recruiting a program that will start later this month. And Hartford HealthCare’s Dr. Ajay Kumar said the convalescent plasma program has not yet started in the hospital system, but “will begin as soon as we identify the patients.”

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In experimental treatments, Connecticut hospitals are using blood plasma from recovered coronavirus patients to help those who are still sick

Medical professionals are beginning trials and experimental treatments that involve taking blood plasma — which is the fluid component of blood — from recovered coronavirus patients and infusing it into the bloodstreams of severely ill patients. The plasma from the recovered patients contains antibodies, which help the human body fight pathogens such as bacteria and viruses.

While still unproven on a large scale, the theory is that a recovered COVID-19 patient’s antibodies should also help fight the disease in patients who are still sick.

“If you can take that same plasma and infuse it into a patient that’s in the ICU or really compromised, you can fight the infection with the antibodies from the [plasma],” said Dr. Justin Lundbye, chief medical officer at Waterbury Hospital. “Those antibodies will then go after the virus and kill it.”

Trinity Health was the first hospital system with Connecticut locations to begin a clinical trial using the plasma therapy, although Yale New Haven Health is applying for approval of a trial. The Yale New Haven Health, Nuvance Health and Hartford HealthCare systems are also using blood plasma in a more traditional, non-trial setting.

A number of hospitals across the state, including the Hartford HealthCare and Yale New Haven Health systems, are gearing up to provide convalescent plasma transfusions outside of the scope of a clinical trial, in a less rigorous program that the FDA refers to as “expanded access.” (In the meantime, Yale New Haven Health is also applying to conduct its own clinical trial.)

Although medical professionals around the world are now studying convalescent plasma, they have not yet proven whether it’s effective in treating COVID-19.

However, both Hussain, of Trinity Health, and Dr. Mahalia Desruisseaux of Yale New Haven Health pointed to promising results out of a small Chinese study of five critically ill COVID-19 patients. In that study, three of the patients were released from the hospital and two were stabilized after convalescent plasma treatment.

Another Chinese study showed similar results but was again very small, with only 10 patients.

Hussain also pointed to the track record of convalescent plasma in fighting other viral epidemics, from before COVID-19 came on the scene. When treated with convalescent plasma, patients had a better chance of beating Ebola, H1N1 and SARS, previous studies have found.

Trinity Health was one of the first four health systems in the U.S. to gain approval for a clinical trial of convalescent plasma. The health system has hospitals across Connecticut and Massachusetts, including St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Hartford and Mercy Medical Center in Springfield.

Hussain said the health system rushed to apply for a clinical trial after reading about the five-patient study in China. The study was small and didn’t have a comparison group, but Hussain said the results were attention-grabbing nonetheless.

“It’s amazing that [three patients] were able to go home,” Hussain said. “We thought, ‘We need to look into this and see what we can give our patients.’ ”

The hospital system is already using other treatments, such as hydroxychloroquine, for moderately ill patients, but there currently is no viable treatment for severely ill patients, Hussain said. So Trinity Health decided to target severely ill patients with the convalescent plasma trial.

“There isn’t really anything out there that we’re using for severe disease," Hussain said.

Dr. Latha Dulipsingh of St. Francis said on Thursday that the Trinity Health system hopes to give the first convalescent plasma transfusion by late this week. Dulipsingh said the hospital system will share results once it has enrolled 10 to 15 patients.

But Hussain said the health system will enroll as many patients as possible, in order to strengthen the study’s statistical analysis. He estimated the health system should be able to release data in about a month. The study will focus mainly on whether the treatment increases patients’ chances of survival.

“The primary outcome definitely is mortality,” Hussain said. “We want to make sure we’re able to save these patients.”

In lieu of clinical trials, some hospitals are using convalescent plasma under a protocol that the FDA dubs “expanded access." This approach, more similar to the typical in-patient treatment process, does not come with many of the requirements of a more formal clinical trial and is designed for patients who cannot participate in trials.

Under the expanded access protocol, only the most severely ill COVID-19 patients can be treated with convalescent plasma. Desruisseaux, at Yale New Haven Health, said some patients who are not yet critically ill may also be treated, if their doctors determine that they will soon become critically ill.

The Hartford HealthCare, Nuvance Health and Yale New Haven Health systems are gearing up to administer convalescent plasma under this protocol. The systems are receiving blood plasma from partner blood centers, such as the Rhode Island Blood Center and the American Red Cross.

The Yale New Haven Health system was scheduled to receive its first convalescent plasma unit on Tuesday morning, according to Tormey. Nuvance Health, which includes Danbury and Norwalk hospitals, has said it is recruiting a program that will start later this month. And Hartford HealthCare’s Dr. Ajay Kumar said the convalescent plasma program has not yet started in the hospital system, but “will begin as soon as we identify the patients.”
What does dude of WV think of this? ;-)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Update on my 4th living room setup of the month: my wife is currently saying “it’s really cold in here today!” Which is why I told her we didn’t want to move the couch to in front of the HVAC vent to which she said “I don’t think that will matter.”

Reaction Score
The old folks in the USA aren't the ones threatened as once thought. This is sobering info.

EVliZF0WAAYAAom

Youngsters may be threatened for hospitalization but much less so for death.
mm6912e2-F2.gif

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Youngsters may be threatened for hospitalization but much less so for death.
But have they put a number on the decreased life expectancy that comes with a bout of the virus? And will the damage be classified a "pre-existing condition"?

Reaction Score
But have they put a number on the decreased life expectancy that comes with a bout of the virus? And will the damage be classified a "pre-existing condition"?

Not that I am aware of. I think you need a longitudinal study to come up with real life expectancy numbers. Hard to say if there will be any long term effect among the young but it seems unlikely unless significant damage is done to the lungs and those would be ICU type cases.

Reaction Score
Not that I am aware of. I think you need a longitudinal study to come up with real life expectancy numbers. Hard to say if there will be any long term effect among the young but it seems unlikely unless significant damage is done to the lungs and those would be ICU type cases.
Still early but...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Youngsters may be threatened for hospitalization but much less so for death. View attachment 53114

In Massachusetts, as of yesterday 995 people dead. Of those 444 were residents in long term care/nursing home facilities.

It clearly affects some younger people, but the odds for those people are reasonably good.

Reaction Score
Don't know if you'll be able to see this. Click for full size. Huge spike in cases in Connecticut on Monday but it seems to be an outlier in the downward trend.
covid-dailyweb1.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
In CT there is a 125% increase for the Google search: "How to start a fire and get away with it"

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When M&R Liquor in Manchester when up in flames with the fire alarm deactivated after hours only to have a sign go up a few days later boasting being rebuilt bigger and better I had to scratch my head.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I trust no one source for completely accurate information, but here is one for Florida residents. Yes, some youngin's are catching the corona but they aren't dying from it.

View attachment 53135
A few things: (1) Florida's numbers are hocus pocus, there is no way they have ~ the same amount of deaths as CT with 7x the population and an idiot governor that sat on his thumbs; (2) another reason to wish you were 24 again :(.

Reaction Score
I'm an elementary school teacher with a 10 week old daughter. My wife is a pediatric nurse who goes back from maternity leave 4/19. I'm not all that concerned about myself getting sick as a healthy 32 year old but I'm fairly concerned about bringing it home to my daughter. Hand washing about 20 times a day and changing before I touch my daughter when I come home.

I'm mostly concerned about the social ramifications and impacts on daily life, accessing food and supplies and what that could look like in 2 weeks.

I'm glad a lot of proactive steps are being taken towards containment. I'm just really really really hoping it has subsided before my wife is back at work.
I get the fear but the flu is probably more deadly to infants.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see what it'll be like at work next Monday... Gov. Wolf has ordered everyone to wear masks in the supermarket. If you don't have one, we (supposedly) won't let you in and you'll need to make an alternative plan. Goes into effect Sunday night. Given the first hour is dedicated to seniors, this oughta be fun.

I’m a PA resident and I saw this too. Do homemade masks count? I don’t know where to buy a mask. I went to Costco a week ago and didn’t understand where all of these people got masks. Probably 90% had one on.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’m a PA resident and I saw this too. Do homemade masks count? I don’t know where to buy a mask. I went to Costco a week ago and didn’t understand where all of these people got masks. Probably 90% had one on.

I'm 99.9% certain homemade masks count as that's what most of us use when working since the store can't get a supply of masks (unless the state is sending us some). Hell, a bandana probably counts.

I'd guess most of the masks you saw, unless they were surgical style, were simply masks sitting in people's basements. I have a single N95 that's filthy as crap since I use it when spreading lawn product. But I've used it in the store.

Reaction Score
Buying Pfizer, they are working with a German company to develop the vaccine. Sounds like they could be onto something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom