Week 3 games (Nov. 18-24) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 3 games (Nov. 18-24)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
While @triaddukefan is conspicuously quiet, his Aggies of Greensboro have taken a 9-point lead over Miami with 6:00 to play.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm following along... just trying not to jinx my squad
Ha I had started to write "conspicuously quiet for fear of jinxing," but then I took that out so as not to jinx them!

Bummer that this game isn't being broadcast or streamed anywhere.

Plebe

Reaction Score
NC A&T up 67-61 over Miami with 1:19 left
Miami just cut it to 3 with 0:59 left. NCAT has been putting Miami on the line and just had a player foul out. Trying to hang on for dear life.

And Aggies just turned the ball over. Miami calls timeout, has possession down 3 with 0:29 to play.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dag Dag Dag... thought we had that one :(:(

sad-english-bulldog-lying-on-260nw-78204640.jpg

Plebe

Reaction Score
Sad face for the A&T Aggies. They led 60-49 with less than 5:00 to play, and, judging from the play-by-play, just lost their composure. Miami outscored them 19-7 in the last 4:40. A&T committed 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in the last 1:20 of the game. Not the way to close out a game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Some time on google dug up this piece on WBB expenses in the Big 10. Buried in the story:

That was for the 2015-16 season. I don’t think it’s per game.
No. Absolutely not. But yes, there are always a couple of schools, I use an uncomplimentary name for them (it is also a name for ladies of the night), that play 4 or more major conference teams, presumably for the money since they have no hope of winning. Prairie View and Arkansas Pine-Bluff come to mind from past seasons, I don't know who is on the list this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Prairie View and Arkansas Pine-Bluff come to mind from past seasons, I don't know who is on the list this year.

You can use a derogatory term for it if you want, but many teams in SWAC and other similar conferences are in this boat. OOC scheduling is basically a fundraiser, they take all the guarantee games they can get because their Athletic Departments just don't bring in much revenue. Texas Southern men are famous for playing nearly all of their OOC games on the road, year in and year out.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You can use a derogatory term for it if you want, but many teams in SWAC and other similar conferences are in this boat. OOC scheduling is basically a fundraiser, they take all the guarantee games they can get because their Athletic Departments just don't bring in much revenue. Texas Southern men are famous for playing nearly all of their OOC games on the road, year in and year out.
I don't have anything against the practice, I don't remember the numbers but a few years back the Arizona Daily Star published what Arizona was paying for some MBB games. These schools need those funds to survive.

I don't think anyone gets rich on the women's side, but it gets the teams out on the road (with the positives that that provides), gives them competition that most likely isn't coming to their school to play, and other (limited) positives. On the other hand, a well respected women's coach who inherited from the previous coach a game scheduled against Rutgers for her lower level and not-so-good program pointed out, I think correctly - that she hated playing the game because her players were not going to learn anything, could not possibly compete and were just going to get beaten down. So there is more than one side to it.

The nick-name (not original with me) seems suitable, and was never meant to demean the schools themselves. But I wish the Power 5 level schools would schedule better games and rely less on paid chow for guarantee wins.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone gets rich on the women's side, but it gets the teams out on the road (with the positives that that provides), gives them competition that most likely isn't coming to their school to play, and other (limited) positives. On the other hand, a well respected women's coach who inherited from the previous coach a game scheduled against Rutgers for her lower level and not-so-good program pointed out, I think correctly - that she hated playing the game because her players were not going to learn anything, could not possibly compete and were just going to get beaten down. So there is more than one side to it.

The nick-name (not original with me) seems suitable, and was never meant to demean the schools themselves. But I wish the Power 5 level schools would schedule better games and rely less on paid chow for guarantee wins.

Agreed, I don't like it either. Nobody learns anything from 50+ point beat downs. Not the winning team, not the losing team, not the last player on the end of the bench who gets some PT, but won't in a game against real competition. I don't know if this year is worse than normal or I'm just paying more attention to it, but so few games have been compelling so far. I don't think Washington is going to be very good this year and they've hammered a pair of opponents by 30 and 50. Everything is driven by football, but there's no way there should be approx. 350 teams competing at the D1 level in men's and women's hoops. It's too many, by a wide margin. But it's the current landscape, not sure that it's going to change (and if it does it will probably be a consolidation of power by very few programs, breaking away from the NCAA).

Reaction Score
We have a week between games, so plenty of times to prepare for you guys.
Doesn't this stuff belong in the GENERAL WOMAN'S BASKETBALL, ISN'T THIS ABOUT UCONN WCBB????

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Any information on if the 4:30 Depaul / Miami Game (MAGGIE DIXON CLASSIC) is being televised??

Plebe

Reaction Score

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minnesota has their hands full w/ Montana St. Gophers up 1 midway thru Q4.

Plebe

Reaction Score
In other action:

Surprisingly, Rice is being completely demolished by Oklahoma State, down 26 in the 4th quarter.
And Houston is up by 13 over Oklahoma at start of 4Q.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
The announcer just said that Miami struggled yesterday with North Carolina AT&T :mad:
Ha maybe they've rebranded to cash in on a lucrative sponsorship from the telecommunications giant.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
In other action:

Surprisingly, Rice is being completely demolished by Oklahoma State, down 26 in the 4th quarter.
And Houston is up by 13 over Oklahoma at start of 4Q.

What's going on with Rice? 28-4 last year. About to drop to 2-3, 3rd loss in a row. I don't know if they lost some other key players but they have Ogwumike and Mulkey still.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom