Week 3 games (Nov. 18-24) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Week 3 games (Nov. 18-24)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Minny up 9 w/ about a minute left, no upset happening there.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What's going on with Rice? 28-4 last year. About to drop to 2-3, 3rd loss in a row. I don't know if they lost some other key players but they have Ogwumike and Mulkey still.
Their OOC schedule is upgraded from last year. Their only significant nonconference games last year were A&M, UCLA and North Carolina, and they lost all 3. This year they came extremely close to knocking off A&M but played horribly on the road to lose at SMU and, apparently now again, at Oklahoma State.

From the boxscore, Mulkey was a complete nonfactor and Ogwumike has shot 5-18. Not enough other weapons on Rice to pick up the slack.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I've only caught bits and pieces of it, but what I've seen has been exciting ball.

Game tied 41-41 at the half, thanks to a 35-foot runner by Daninger:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle U. @ Washington is ugly. Dawgs shooting under 30% but still leading 23-5 after Q1. Seattle U. is terrible.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I've only caught bits and pieces of it, but what I've seen has been exciting ball.

Game tied 41-41 at the half, thanks to a 35-foot runner by Daninger:

Maybe in the minority but Depaul's quick trigger 3pt offense (often so quick in the shot clock and beyond normal range) drives me nuts.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maybe in the minority but Depaul's quick trigger 3pt offense (often so quick in the shot clock and beyond normal range) drives me nuts.
Ha well so far they're 14 of 38 (!), which by analytics isn't bad.

They're shooting the same percentage right now from 2 and from 3 (37%). They're causing plenty of Miami turnovers but, predictably, don't match up well with Mompremier who now 22 and 14 late in 3Q.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

I'm in that minority as well. I know Bruno is a friend of Geno's so DePaul is held in high regard on the BY, but their shot selection is often poor when I've watched them play.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Q: How do you shoot 32% from the floor but lead your opponent by 30 at halftime?
A: Play a team that shoots 13% from the floor.

That and big advantage in rebounding and turnovers. UW up 44-13 and they really don't look good to me.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ha well so far they're 14 of 38 (!), which by analytics isn't bad.

They're shooting the same percentage right now from 2 and from 3 (37%). They're causing plenty of Miami turnovers but, predictably, don't match up well with Mompremier who now 22 and 14 late in 3Q.

I understand the logic but not my aesthetic. Also, I seem to recall the common wisdom that 3 pt shooting gets harder in the 4th Q as legs tire. Curious if statistical analysis demonstrates this??

Reaction Score
Kind of a slow week; not as many compelling matchups as last week.

Tues., Nov. 19
  • #22 South Florida at #2 Baylor (8p ET, ESPN+). The last time the Bulls visited Waco was exactly 4 years ago (11/19/15). In that game, USF was 1 point down with 2 minutes to play and ended up losing 66-63. USF was led by Courtney Williams (23 points), Laura Ferreira (14 points) and Alisia Jenkins (14 rebounds). Sadly, I have a feeling this game won't be nearly as close. (Fun to see the boxscore: Stats (PDF) - USF Athletics).

Wed., Nov. 20
  • George Washington at #9 Maryland (7p, BTN+). Good news for GW is that Wake transfer Ariel Stephenson made her debut in their last game. Bad news: Louisville transfer Sydney Zambrotta missed that game (I'm not sure why). Rizzotti really needs both of them on the floor for this one.
  • Washington State at Boise State (7p, Mountain West Digital Network). Both of these teams should be better than they were last year. Much is expected of BSU.
  • Princeton at Iowa (7:30p, BTN+). Princeton has been playing well, but both Alarie and Littlefield exited their previous game with injuries.
Thu. Nov. 21
  • Missouri at South Dakota (8p ET, live stream). South Dakota is 3-0 and coming off overtime wins over Drake and Utah. Missouri has struggled, going 1-3 against a fairly tough opening schedule.
Sat., Nov. 23
  • Notre Dame at #21 Michigan (1p, BTN+). And just that fast, Muffet's back in her cherished underdog role.
  • Rice at Oklahoma State (3p, ESPN+). Rice lost its last road game at SMU but then nearly beat TAMU at home. Which Rice team will show up?
  • Oklahoma at Houston (3p). Keeping in the spirit of exchange between H-Town and the False Starters State.
  • #17 Miami at #19 DePaul (4:30p, live stream). Final of Maggie Dixon Classic.
  • #6 Texas A&M at Southern Cal (8:30p, https://pac-12.com/live/usc). Aggies return to where Carter had her breakout game as a freshman two years ago.
Sun. Nov. 24
  • #1 Oregon at #17 Syracuse (4p, ACCN). Oregon struggled mightily to put away Syracuse last year at home. Could be a good challenge for them.
  • #20 Arkansas at Cal (5p, free live stream).
  • Rutgers at LSU (8p, SECN). Two NCAA tournament hopefuls. The first good look at Rutgers.
Thanks for posting these weekly games!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If someone doesn't have Depaul in their rankings even after this victory.... does that reflect poorly on that voter?

Plebe

Reaction Score
If someone doesn't have Depaul in their rankings even after this victory.... does that reflect poorly on that voter?
Grounds for disqualification as a voter. :p

Plebe

Reaction Score
This game isn't nearly over yet. Deja Church just fouled out with over 5:00 to go, and DePaul has two other players with 4 fouls. I notice Bruno is only playing 8 in his rotation today, which is a low number for him.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I hate it myself.

Reaction Score
The A&M USC game is streaming on the Pac-12 now app. Sounds like the announcer is the same guy who did soccer yesterday who keeps calling us "Texas". Close in the 1st quarter so far.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm in that minority as well. I know Bruno is a friend of Geno's so DePaul is held in high regard on the BY, but their shot selection is often poor when I've watched them play.
Well, golly gee whiz, Miami must truly be awful if they just got humbled by a team with a sub-par coach, a losing style of play, and terrible shot selection.

Interesting that Miami and coach Katie Meier have escaped the scathing criticism of the kibitzers who are so quick to pounce on the team that just dropped a fat L on their head.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, golly gee whiz, Miami must truly be awful if they just got humbled by a team with a sub-par coach, a losing style of play, and terrible shot selection.

Interesting that Miami and coach Katie Meier have escaped the scathing criticism of the kibitzers who are so quick to pounce on the team that just dropped a fat L on their head.

I had to look up the word kibitzers ( i was thinking it meant something like knuckleheads, glad to see it doesnt) :rolleyes:

Two criticisms...... 1) they played that zone defense... looked like Duke South out there... just like Duke... that corner 3 was wide open most of the time. .. would have preferred to see them in a man to man... 2) Momprimer only got 17 touches. They should have force fed her more......... she could have gone for 50 .... well at least 40.

trust me... im upset at Miami.... though it should have been My Aggies playing Depaul instead :oops:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Relax a bit. DePaul wins 20+ and gets to the Tourney every year. Their system works, except when it doesn't. A person can question their shot selection without saying Bruno is a terrible coach or DePaul is a terrible team.

Anyway I think eyebrows were raised with Miami with yesterday's near miss against NC A&T.

Reaction Score
A&M took the lead in the second quarter and held it from there for a 74-64 win over USC. Always weird to watch the feed from the scoreboard video because you miss a significant fraction of the visiting team action while they replay every home bucket.

Carter had a terrible first half but did better in the second. Washington had 8 assists. Jones had 18 boards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom