Week 10 - Jan 8 to 14

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
884EA3FD-3677-4E3C-B4DC-F2ED6B3B2D55.jpeg

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
There were a ton of bad or questionable calls in that game (like most games, really), some benefitting each team. I hadn't seen the claim before that the inbound block was illegal.
PS: I'm not sure what rule is supposedly violated. There is this rule:

Reaching through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touching or dislodging the ball while it is in possession of the thrower-in or being passed to a teammate outside the boundary line as in Rule 7-4�6�b� This act shall also serve as a team warning for reaching through the boundary� (See Rule 4-9�1�g�)

...and this rule...

The opponents of thrower-in having any part of their person beyond the vertical inside plane of any boundary line before the ball has crossed that boundary line�

...but it appears Iriafen didn't touch the ball until after the inbounder released it. And I don't think her hand was across the boundary line before touching the ball either, though that's hard to be certain of from this video angle.

Reaction Score
I haven’t watched the game yet. According to the rule you cite, the first violation of this rule is a warning, not 2 shot technical like the tweet says.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Iowa-Indiana featured chilly shooting for much of the first half, but the action really heated up before the break and turning into a really entertaining game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Santa Clara is definitely #2 in the league. #67 in NET, #77 in Massey. Everyone else is outside the top 100.
Well...SCU well on their way to getting blown out for the second game in a row. This time against apparently outside the top 100 according to the formulas Portland. The race for the conference championship will be as anti climatic as possible. Settling #2 could be slightly interesting at least.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Big 4th quarter leads Kansas to a win over Oklahoma St. Jayhawks have suddenly come to life this week.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Iowa turning this into a blowout. Clark had another game that is typical for her, but pretty spectacular. Davis and Marshall chipped in quite a bit.

Holmes had a really good first half, but struggled mightily in the second half.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A very thorough defeat of IU by Iowa. This looks like a statement win to me.
There have been some questions about them this year. This should answer some of those. Their wins against Kansas St. (I realize they have gone 1-1 against KSU) and Iowa St. are looking better and better by the day.

84-57 final. It was a 6 point game at the half. Indiana only scored 20 points after halftime.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
First of all, Sarah Kustok and Gus Johnson can just go ahead and call every game from now on.

Indiana was competitive in this game, but only until Iowa stopped being ice cold from 3. Clark started 0-6 from 3 but then went 6-10 the rest of the way. Davis and Marshall also hit way above their average 3FG%.

What's wild about Clark's shooting is that she almost seems to shoot better at the highest degree of difficulty. The wide open 3s or long 2s where she's not stepping back from a close defender at 25-30 feet are the ones she seems to miss.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
First of all, Sarah Kustok and Gus Johnson can just go ahead and call every game from now on.
Gus got various Iowa players mixed up with each other quite a few times, all throughout the game. I'm gonna have to overrule you on this one.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I thought I was having some kind of weird aberration when Clark limped off the floor and went straight to the locker room. She is so durable.

Reaction Score
Gus got various Iowa players mixed up with each other quite a few times, all throughout the game. I'm gonna have to overrule you on this one.
I noticed that too. Affolter for O'Grady had me scratching my head.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I noticed that too. Affolter for O'Grady had me scratching my head.
I think Martin and Davis more than once. And then giving Goodman credit for a block on Holmes...when she was sitting on the bench. It was O'Grady. He corrected himself eventually. A big part of the job is knowing who is on the floor, and certainly being able to differentiate between the players who are in the game. Anybody can make a mistake, but I bet he had more than half a dozen. That's just not acceptable.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Impressive wins by both Iowa schools.

Really impressed by Iowa overall this year. The fact that they’re 17-1 and so reliant on Clark is remarkable. Wins over Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas State and VT are all strong too. And Gabby Marshall is finally getting on track too which will further open up the offense for the Hawks. The offensive production is ahead of last year’s pace and their defense is better too. I don’t think the team is as dangerous or good overall as they were a year ago but the minimal drop off is impressive

Iowa State too grabbed a huge win. Audi Crooks is quietly having herself an outstanding freshman season and is a force inside. She had back to back 20+ point games over ranked foes and she is averaging 16+ ppg on the year. Iowa State being a realistic Big 12 title threat wasn’t on my bingo card entering the season.

Reaction Score
Sunday: #8 Stan vs #5 Colo PAC TV
#2 UCLA vs #9 USC no TV as far as I can tell?

2 best games basically unviewable
This is one advantage of the PAC dissolution
UCLA @ USC on PAC-12 Network. USC announced the game sold out on Thursday BTW.

Reaction Score

UCLA @ USC will be broadcast on the PAC 12 app which can then be relayed to my big screen in my system. 2:00 pm PST, 5:00 pm EST
But should be a network or ESPN game. Come on, guys!!! Just hoping the BIG will be more accessible next season.

Reaction Score

Pac 12 is the only conference with good match ups for the elite teams. Big 10 and SEC elite teams just play in blow outs. ACC and Big 12 have close games but the quality of basketball is lower imo. Sad the only conference worth watching is dissolving.

Reaction Score
Ames is a tough place to play. I had pegged that as Baylors first loss. Now the Bears have 2 — tiday and the big loss to KS. Are they even a top 10 team? They have the early season home win over Utah and the TX win right after Harmon went down.

Is KSt the best team in the 12?
I probably should watch the replay on the Iowa State game but really happy for their team and coach. I thought some players kinda took cheap shots at him when they decided to transfer. I actually think the transfers may have been better off staying. Particularly Denae Fritz who had a super solid freshman year and now can barely get minutes on Baylor .

I really like K State but they kinda remind me South Carolina, prior to this year, offensively. They have shooting but it's still pretty clogged in the middle and for whatever reason they seem a bit out of rhythm as they want to force the ball inside. Nonetheless they are a very good team.

Reaction Score
Impressive wins by both Iowa schools.

Really impressed by Iowa overall this year. The fact that they’re 17-1 and so reliant on Clark is remarkable. Wins over Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas State and VT are all strong too. And Gabby Marshall is finally getting on track too which will further open up the offense for the Hawks. The offensive production is ahead of last year’s pace and their defense is better too. I don’t think the team is as dangerous or good overall as they were a year ago but the minimal drop off is impressive

Iowa State too grabbed a huge win. Audi Crooks is quietly having herself an outstanding freshman season and is a force inside. She had back to back 20+ point games over ranked foes and she is averaging 16+ ppg on the year. Iowa State being a realistic Big 12 title threat wasn’t on my bingo card entering the season.
Excellent post.

I might even say Iowa is better than they were last year. Stuelke is not enough to make up for the loss of Czinano yet, but she’s made huge strides so far. Goodman and O’Grady are also a significant addition to the frontcourt over last season. And maybe most significant is the play of Molly Davis, who has really stepped up.

The same structural defect still plagues the team, namely their over dependence on Caitlin. In some sense she has inhibited the team’s development even as she has also made them contenders. We’ll be saying these phrases a lot this season, “single-handedly” and “carried the team.” But if she can carry them to a title, she’ll deserve a ton of credit, especially if it involves upsetting SC and UCLA.

I also agree about ISU and Audi Crooks. She is a force in the low post. Addy Brown is also having a great season. But I think they don’t have all the pieces yet to be contenders. I’d seen a few highlight videos of Crooks in high school and she looked intriguing. I finally saw a full game, against Hopkins no less, and it became crystal clear how much potential she had. Natural concerns about stamina kept her off most coaches radar, I guess. But ISU took a chance on her and I suspect they’ve hit the jackpot. If Ryan returns to last season’s form and they pick up another top guard or wing next season, they could surprise all of us.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I think Martin and Davis more than once. And then giving Goodman credit for a block on Holmes...when she was sitting on the bench. It was O'Grady. He corrected himself eventually. A big part of the job is knowing who is on the floor, and certainly being able to differentiate between the players who are in the game. Anybody can make a mistake, but I bet he had more than half a dozen. That's just not acceptable.
There's a huge difference between putting an occasional WBB game on Fox and using BB announcers that aren't well versed or studied on the WBB teams and games, and what ESPN showcases weekly. As much grief as Lobo, Peck and others get for sounding "too homery" or "not homery enough", the folks on the ESPN team do the work and it shows.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Anyone else shocked that UCLA/USC will have compelted their season series by Jan 14?!?!

I know USC has not been in the top tier in the conference for a while, but usually schools that are local rivals (in this case, REAL local) have the rivalry games spread out across the season.

I'm a little disappointed only because i think both teams will likely look different and be better in a month.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom