Week 10 - Jan 8 to 14 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Week 10 - Jan 8 to 14

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The ACC is a weird league. I thought BC might give ND a game... same with Miami and VPI. Both got or are getting dog walked. Speaking of dogs (cousins of dogs) the Pack got a measure of revenge on the state of Virginia... demolishing them 93-66

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
NC State made nearly 60% of its shots through 3 quarters of action and ran away from Virginia, 93-66 in an emphatic statement following its last-second loss to Virginia Tech on Sunday. 5 players reached double figures...with freshmen Zoe Brooks (19) and Laci Steele (13) setting career highs. State had 36 points in the paint and 36 fast break points. All 11 available players saw the floor tonight, with 10 scoring at least 1 point. NC State was also 19 of 23 from the FT line, and 10 of 23 from THREE. Mimi Collins was one rebound shy of a double-double.

The first three quarters reminded me a lot of NC State's win over Colorado at the Paradise Jam in November. Except today, other players stepped up in place of the missing River Baldwin.

Has Brooks been starting since Rivers return?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I either didn't know or totally forgot that Darian White is at Nebraska this year, after 4 years at Montana St.

Huskers keep pulling away, and then let Illinois back in the game. Going down to the wire.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Has Brooks been starting since Rivers return?
She came off the bench for one game following Rivers' return, then moved back into the starting lineup with Baldwin's injury. I'm really excited at what we're going to get from her the next four years. She's already an excellent ball-handler with high IQ...and she's only going to get better.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Incredibly frustrating and disappointing season for the Illini so far. They have literally lost every single quasi-significant game this year, including a couple (Mizzou, Wisconsin) that had no business being significant.

The blown layup by Cook with 40 seconds left was Illinois' season in a nutshell.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She came off the bench for one game following Rivers' return, then moved back into the starting lineup with Baldwin's injury. I'm really excited at what we're going to get from her the next four years. She's already an excellent ball-handler with high IQ...and she's only going to get better.

Some good freshman guards in the conference.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since the Southern Conference has only 7 schools in WCBB (Virginia Military Institute doesn't field a squad) they finally got around to opening up conference play tonight. UNC-G beats a tough Wofford Squad. ..Furman downs Western Carolina, and ETSU beat Samford. UT-Chatt had the night off.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Vandy 20 point win at Kentucky! Tough Feb sked to come but at 16-1, postseason all but guaranteed.

Tenn about to complete yet another comeback victory over Fla. I bc don’t know if the Vols oversleep before every game or Harper gives the best 1/2 time speeches, but they’ve been doing this a lot.
Harper has probably been studying videos of Brenda's legendary halftime speeches :p

Let's be fair, though, these 2nd half surges have come against the likes of Auburn, Kentucky and Florida.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Since the Southern Conference has only 7 schools in WCBB (Virginia Military Institute doesn't field a squad) they finally got around to opening up conference play tonight. UNC-G beats a tough Wofford Squad. ..Furman downs Western Carolina, and ETSU beat Samford. UT-Chatt had the night off.
Chattanooga beat Mercer yesterday, I think. Doesn't the Southern Conference have 8 teams?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Chattanooga beat Mercer yesterday, I think. Doesn't the Southern Conference have 8 teams?

Actually now that I think of it, there are 9 teams in the Southern Conference. I just remembered the Citadel doesn't field a team either, along with VMI. Those schools don't have many female students.

20230708_190125.jpg

Dag.. They actually have 10 schools. I forgot about Mercer

Plebe

Reaction Score
Arkansas, playing without Taliah Scott, lost a rock fight to Mississippi State 66-63. And before anyone asks, Saylor had 4 rebounds.

Weird results for the Razorbacks. With Scott playing, they lose to Kentucky. With Scott out, they blow out Georgia and today almost beat MSU.

Reaction Score
Arkansas, playing without Taliah Scott, lost a rock fight to Mississippi State 66-63. And before anyone asks, Saylor had 4 rebounds.

Weird results for the Razorbacks. With Scott playing, they lose to Kentucky. With Scott out, they blow out Georgia and today almost beat MSU.
Miss St been very underwhelming this year. They have some great pieces but none of it is adding up on the court at least now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Weird things happen, but there is no reason Gonzaga shouldn't run the table in the WCC this year. The gap between them and everyone else is huge. They blew out Santa Clara tonight. Not really sure who the second best team in the conference is, but whoever it is I'm confident they can't hold a candle to the Zags.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Weird things happen, but there is no reason Gonzaga shouldn't run the table in the WCC this year. The gap between them and everyone else is huge. They blew out Santa Clara tonight. Not really sure who the second best team in the conference is, but whoever it is I'm confident they can't hold a candle to the Zags.
Are you trying to jinx someone again? :eek:

The road game at Santa Clara is the biggest road block for Gonzaga. Didn't they lose there last year?

Santa Clara is definitely #2 in the league. #67 in NET, #77 in Massey. Everyone else is outside the top 100.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pretty funny, during the broadcast Greg Heister was trying really hard to hype up SCU. He mentioned they had 2 wins over Pac 12 teams...but failed to mention that was against the two worst teams in the conference, or that they also lost to Cal by 15 and Oregon St. by 28. That was definitely an incomplete picture he was painting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The road game at Santa Clara is the biggest road block for Gonzaga. Didn't they lose there last year?

Santa Clara is definitely #2 in the league. #67 in NET, #77 in Massey. Everyone else is outside the top 100.
They just smoked them 87-49. How much difference can home court advantage make?

Ha, SCU's previous conference game was a decisive 3 point win at home against mighty Pacific. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Miss St been very underwhelming this year. They have some great pieces but none of it is adding up on the court at least now.
Unfortunately true. Over the course of the three SEC games E Barnum has averaged less than 20 minutes. She is an incredibly talented player simply hasn’t found a comfortable role in the Mississippi State system. D Rogers is pushing E Barnum hard for minutes. Right now moving D Powe back to a stretch four with D Rogers at the wing is a better lineup. Coach Purcell has tried putting her in different sets to find her comfort zone but so far nothing has been the “sweet spot”. She also isn’t guarding mobile players well. Hopefully E Barnum will work it out as she is needed.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately true. Over the course of the three SEC games E Barnum has averaged less than 20 minutes. She is an incredibly talented player simply hasn’t found a comfortable role in the Mississippi State system. D Rogers is pushing E Barnum hard for minutes. Right now moving D Powe back to a stretch four with D Rogers at the wing is a better lineup. Coach Purcell has tried putting her in different sets to find her comfort zone but so far nothing has been the “sweet spot”. She also isn’t guarding mobile players well. Hopefully E Barnum will work it out as she is needed.
Thats the tough part with a lot of transfers, it just can take a while for things to click or figure out how to play together. Miss St badly needed this one tonight, couldn't afford to start 0-3 in conference play.

Reaction Score
F$U almost tried to give the game away. Up by 21 in the 3rd.... I was getting kinda nervous with about 5 minutes to go in the game. Good to see that F$U is good for something :rolleyes:

#25 for Chapel Hill was plagued with foul trouble... fouled out with a bit over five minutes to go in the game.

Tweet was deleted. Basically #25 called out the refs... said that since college players can't get fined she gave her opinion on the refs calls... called them (the calls) garbage.

Saw that tweet last night and was talking about it with another friend. I joked that her future agent got her to delete it and post the apology.

Reaction Score

Appreciate you being proactive here. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Saw that tweet last night and was talking about it with another friend. I joked that her future agent got her to delete it and post the apology.

Did she tweet something? I saw it on a reporter's twitter and he deleted it.

This is from the post-game comments: From the newspaper..

“I would say the refs were garbage today,” Kelly said. “Those early calls were some BS and so were the late ones.”

I like following PAC12 Friday nights. I don't get to watch because that night of the week belongs to She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed. But, I do get to check my phone for updates when she leaves the room.

Wait.... you mean to tell me that a Game Chicken fan is henpecked ??? :eek::confused::cool:;):)

I would dole out some marriage advice, but I'm not married so I wouldn't be the best counselor :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom