Wake Forest Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Wake Forest Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I particularly liked the 3 reviews today. All 3 went UConn's way on the field and obviously none were overturned because none were even close. Why are they even being reviewed in the first place. Aside from the refs, it kills the pace of play too. Temple game had 4 reviews and none were overturned.
The AAC office calls for the reviews. None of the plays should have been reviewed. ACC office was looking to review plays to benefit Wake.. There were no reviews on some of the terrible ball spots by the refs. This reminds me of the Duke game last year where they review a targeting call against Uconn and determine there was no targeting. The ACC office requested that it be reviewed again and then the review was reversed and our best defensive player got thrown out of the game.

Reaction Score
The AAC office calls for the reviews. None of the plays should have been reviewed. ACC office was looking to review plays to benefit Wake.. There were no reviews on some of the terrible ball spots by the refs. This reminds me of the Duke game last year where they review a targeting call against Uconn and determine there was no targeting. The ACC office requested that it be reviewed again and then the review was reversed and our best defensive player got thrown out of the game.
No one should ever have that much power, btw it's more then the officials it's the powers that be that are above the officials.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Game management has been awful. Playcalling has mostly been fine. I feel like we need to hire a game management/stat nerd guy.
Mostly been fine hurt is today in a big way

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain to me what happened on the almost interception off the WF players foot? I swear it was 2nd down and after that play they said it was 4th and 1. I was at the game and no one around me knew what the just happened
I was at the game as well. We couldn't figure out what happen either.

Reaction Score
I'm glad coach called out this ACC BS. The jealousy and disdain the conference has over UConn has been evident for years. There is no reason we shouldn't have received a conference invite. Now, were seeing this bias on the field with bias refereeing. Enough is enough.
But would you really want an ACC invite over the B12 at this point or even the BIG... not saying any invite is forthcoming but I really do NOT care to join the ACC like I once did. That conference as a whole and its schools acting independently do NOT help support our College Football aspirations - so either blaze your own trail or - keep knocking on the door to the club with the bouncer joking to the members inside... hey hahaha look who showed up again. Simply don't show up - ignore them, let them play with their ball, and let them compare themselves to the Bigger P2 conferences and see what happens. Cause 50% of them are not getting in. Imagine Syracuse regulated to non-P2 status. OR even Miami. Imagine BC whining because their big pay days are behind them. Well, I don't care because I put UCONN above all of them no matter who we play or what our conference is! I Simply PUT UCONN FIRST!

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain to me what happened on the almost interception off the WF players foot? I swear it was 2nd down and after that play they said it was 4th and 1. I was at the game and no one around me knew what the just happened
The problem was that the PA announcer and most of the fans thought that the runner/receiver had stretched for a first down before going out of bounds on the previous second-down play. It seems like UConn thought the same thing. Instead of running a short yardage play to gain a half-yard or so, they hurried into that third-down pass play 10 yards downfield, which almost turned into an INT.

However, the refs had never moved the chains downfield, because they'd ruled that the runner on the second down play had gone down short of the line to gain. They had it as being third down on that near-INT pass play, not first down. So, the incomplete pass made it 4th and 1, and UConn chose to punt.

It sucked. I thought the refs should have stopped play when they heard the PA announcer call "first down" to the entire stadium to clarify the spot, and that the runner hadn't gotten a first down. I can't recall ever seeing anything like that happen before, to be honest, and I've been watching football since Jimmy Carter was president. UConn should have realized that the chains hadn't moved and backed off from the pass play they'd called, but the refs really could have averted the confusion as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Refs didn’t miss that call and that damn sure doesn’t happen every Saturday and Sunday.. they blatantly and purposely didn’t call what is the epitome of pass interference.. at worst we have a great chance to tie the game..most likely scenario is we score the game winning TD with how we finally started flowing those last 2 drives, I ain’t never been so mad at the end of a football game

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I was at the game as well. We couldn't figure out what happen either.
Prior to that play, game announcer said it was a first down but it was spotted 1 yard short, 3 and 1 (bad spot looked like we had it). Chains didn’t move. I think our offense was confused thinking it was also 1 and 10 and Evers threw that 10 yard pass that was almost intercepted, thus it ended up being 4 and 1 in reality.

Reaction Score
You should be mad but you also should stop short of conspiracy.
He saw a clear interference go right in front of him and he let it go. Everyone saw I'm calling what I saw and those no calls don't happen every Saturday and Sunday. All the ACC has to do is show proof they won't.

Reaction Score
You should be mad but you also should stop short of conspiracy.
This is multiple years in a row where first down spots are wildly off for us, and you don't see it in other games. When draft kings parlay of the day is talked about multiple times per game and even shown on the screen now during major sporting events, not considering bettor influence in these insane situations would be naive. the ball state game a few years ago was the most obviously fixed game I've ever seen and you can't convince me otherwise

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
That missed pass interference call sure has taken the heat off of why Joe didn't get a series to try and mix things up or why we didn't rush 7 while their QB and running back exchanged recipes for 6 seconds every snap.

Reaction Score
Refs didn’t miss that call and that damn sure doesn’t happen every Saturday and Sunday.. they blatantly and purposely didn’t call what is the epitome of pass interference.. at worst we have a great chance to tie the game..most likely scenario is we score the game winning TD with how we finally started flowing those last 2 drives, I ain’t never been so mad at the end of a football game

Reaction Score
It’s usually the away team’s conference refs, so I’m pretty sure Rice will have AAC refs. Problem for us we have no conference refs when we do the return game so we get hosed there too.
We could always get into arrangements with third parties. I'd hit up the big 10 and pay them a sum to ref our games where we need them.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
That missed pass interference call sure has taken the heat off of why Joe didn't get a series to try and mix things up or why we didn't rush 7 while their QB and running back exchanged recipes for 6 seconds every snap.
Have to save the analysis for another day. My big gripe at the moment is that we couldn't find a way to involve Bell. But even DESPITE that, we were right there.

Reaction Score

Not nearly as egregious.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Refs are judged by their accuracy. They go through performance film reviews. No ref is throwing their job because of Wake Forest vs UConn?????? Lol You guys are high
Then they need to stop hiring vision impaired refs. The guy was 5 yards away looking at the most obvious PI of the year. I think they were afraid to make the call against an ACC team.

Reaction Score
Prior to that play, game announcer said it was a first down but it was spotted 1 yard short, 3 and 1 (bad spot looked like we had it). Chains didn’t move. I think our offense was confused thinking it was also 1 and 10 and Evers threw that 10 yard pass that was almost intercepted, thus it ended up being 4 and 1 in reality.
Thank you.

Reaction Score
I’ve said this all along - we have to expect calls like this even though it was obvious tinkering by the ACC refs to give Wake Forest an assist.

We shouldn’t have left it in the Ref’s hands at the end of the game.

One of worst calls I’ve seen to end the game in a long, long time.

The ref crew didn’t even huddle up to discuss - Wow!

I saw several Wake Forest fans on their message board acknowledge that was obvously a PI Call to everyone watching.

Again, we were robbed, not of a win, but the chance to see the game be played out. This was a shame to both teams and fans that invested nearly 4 hours of their time to watch the game.

SAD

Reaction Score
Glass half full guy here, just got back from the Rent. Big picture: we are not playing for a conference championship. We are not playing for a playoff spot. We ARE playing for a bowl bid. We have a very realistic path to get there. Today we drew 30k, and mostly the fans (many returning to the fold for the first time in ages) saw a good competitive game against an evenly matched opponent from a power league. So before you overreact to one loss, it's important to keep this in perspective. This will still be a good season.

It’s not the loss, it was the way we lost. The refs decided when the game ended not the players. They tried to end the game on the bad spot. When that failed, they did not call a penalty. I firmly believe it was intentional.

Reaction Score
The problem was that the PA announcer and most of the fans thought that the runner/receiver had stretched for a first down before going out of bounds on the previous second-down play. It seems like UConn thought the same thing. Instead of running a short yardage play to gain a half-yard or so, they hurried into that third-down pass play 10 yards downfield, which almost turned into an INT.

However, the refs had never moved the chains downfield, because they'd ruled that the runner on the second down play had gone down short of the line to gain. They had it as being third down on that near-INT pass play, not first down. So, the incomplete pass made it 4th and 1, and UConn chose to punt.

It sucked. I thought the refs should have stopped play when they heard the PA announcer call "first down" to the entire stadium to clarify the spot, and that the runner hadn't gotten a first down. I can't recall ever seeing anything like that happen before, to be honest, and I've been watching football since Jimmy Carter was president. UConn should have realized that the chains hadn't moved and backed off from the pass play they'd called, but the refs really could have averted the confusion as well.

It was total chaos and I am 100% positive at least one of the chain refs started moving forward (if not both) as if it were a first down. The stadium PA did his 1st down schtick, the crowd was pumped, etc. And we played the next play like it was 1st down.

Field refs should have blew whistles and stopped the play,

By the way…

There la just no gosh darn way you can run that “let’s snap the ball, have our QB & RB hold the ball, sit down, set up a table, and have tea & crumpets for 5 seconds RPO without also having anyone from the D make it into the backfield to TFL without egregious offensive line holding going in. That crap was ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom